Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
jazz_man
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-10          73595

It keeps getting more and more complicated. A Kub B2100 I looked at is a wreck. Now the choice appears to be between a NEW 4010 w/FEL, 54"mmm; OR a used 4100 in beautiful shape w/30hrs(30),FEL,60" rear Woods finish mower. The dealer will take 13,200 for the new 4010. The used 4100 has an asking price of 13,500 but probably will deal. Is this a no-brainer, or is the 4100 a more capable machine?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-10          73596

Assuming the 4100 is a 2000 model 4WD hydo. & the FEL is a 70 model JD. That is not such a bad price. Offer $12,000 and see what happens. Walk away at over $13,000. I figure no more than $11,000 for the tractor, $1,000 for the FEL and $1,000 for the RFM. Make him give you at hat! ;o) If she is in really primo condition, that is still not such a bad price. Take it out in the yard and run it at FULL pto rpm with the RFM engaged for at least 20 - 30 minutes or more and put the machine through the paces to expose any potential problems. Why did the previous owner trade it in at 30 hrs.?????? Ask for the previous owners phone number and call him and ask about the tractor if they will give you that info. (not likely) If you can get a look at the sales packet; you might be able to see this inof. without asking and call him and ask. (I didn't just say that did I??????? ;o) Sounds like it is probably and nice find but do your home work! Good luck! If you decide to buy new; get the 4110 or 4115. IMO, the 4010 is a bit under powered. ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-10          73626

Hi Chief,

The 4100 should have the 410 loader on it...walk away if its not the deere 410..
30 hours is nothing at all !! I picked up mine with 6.5 hours and it was a referral by the dealer...money problems was the reason for the sale...there are no outstanding warranty issues with the 4100 (recalls)..talk the price down
not because its a high price, but to save yourself money..
With the Srial number you can find out what you need about the machine...
Is this a dealer sale?

Duc ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
jazz_man

2004-01-10          73637

Both the 4100 and 4010 are 4WD. As I recall, the loader is the 60" JD410. It had been purchased by a local church that discovered later it was too small (after 30 hrs) and they want to upgrade- but they have to sell it first! It is at a a local sales/repair shop- not a dealer. I take it that you folks feel that even used(barely) it is still preferable to a new (underpowered?) 4010 w/warrantee. Chief, the 4110 or 4115 sound good, but I started out looking at a new 2210 with FEL and 54" belly mower for 12,400.and even that price was pushing my limit. I'm getting caught up in that "only a few dollars more" trap. Comments? ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-10          73641

Jazzman,

It depends on your needs the 4100(replaced by the 4110)4010,4110 and 4115 use the 410 loader and have the same lifting capacities. The 4115 is the bigger of the 3 by a sizable difference in power and height/weight.

2210 has less capabilities but could be the machine you need base on size and nimbleness.

30 hrs is nothing at all and can give you some leverage to get the price down. They want to go bigger but need to move that machine first. Dont let the church thing hold you back from hard bargining :)

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-01-10          73645

Hands down, get the 4100.

I just went through this whole drill a few months ago -- started with the 2210, and a Deere dealer from another state with no stake in the sale convinced me that even the 4010 was more tractor. After another month studying it (including a LOT of lurking here!) I chose the 4110, and I'm VERY glad I did.

For a thousand more than the 2210, you're getting a heckuva lot more tractor. Just 2 minutes driving them and you'll know. Just look at the wheels -- a HUGE difference. One of my neighbors has a 4100, pretty much the same as my 4110, far as I can tell. They're beautiful little machines.

I'll bet the 4010 is closed out of the line shortly -- Deere's already made the small end of their product line pretty crowded. Aside from less hydraulic capacity, the fuel tank is undersized, the PTO is borderline for many things, and as I recall, there were some 3pt hitch limits that the 41xx doesn't suffer from.

The 4115 is a bit heavier, longer wheelbase, has direct injection. It will give you more traction. But the hydraulics are the same as the 4110. In fact, 4110 and 4115 use the same manual.

Get the 4100, you'll never regret it! ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-11          73751

Hi Wigglybridge,

Love you picturess with the 3pt blower..you are having too much fun there !! how do you like the 3pt set up?

Ducati ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-01-14          73974

Hey Duc,

Thanks for the comment on the pix!

I LOVE the 3pt blower! Thanks to a lot of lurking here, I think I ended up with the perfect setup for what I do. It's a relatively small blower -- 54" -- which has meant that I can actually do a lot of finer work around the house. So it looks like I can sell my Honda 928TA and the little Ariens. Amazingly, the rear blower is both way more powerful and way more quiet and so smooth-running it's hard to believe. I think it's a relatively new company -- the model is Blizzard, from RAD Technologies in Quebec.

The one thing that I would say conventional wisdom here did NOT predict accurately was that a Gear instead of hydro was bad. I was convinced from chat here that the blower would clog constantly since there's no separate clutch for the PTO on my JD 4110, but probably due to the (relatively) small size of the blower, it has been no problem at all! This thing eats through even solid frozen banks of old snow like nothing is there, and so far, no clogging whatsoever.

The reason I got the gear was because I found out by reading the manual online that cruise control didn't work in reverse. I couldn't see me driving in reverse down my steep gravel drive with one foot on the throttle and me twisted around trying to keep the 3pt out of the gravel. Maybe I misunderstand, but it seems like the hydro is a distinct disadvantage in this situation. At any rate, the gear works GREAT.

As you can see from the pix, I've tackled some reasonable snow with it (started with a 16" and then a 14" right after it). I also haven't really need chains -- half the people I spoke with said I'd poop my pants, the other half insisted I didn't need 'em. So far, so good, once in awhile I have to stomp on the diff lock, but not often. Of course I'm always in 4wd. ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
Ducati996

2004-01-14          73991

wigglybridge,

I have the 4100 gear and I was curious on the PTO functionality. I have yet to use a PTO device, so I wasnt sure how well it does with the gear option. I didnt buy the machine new, even though it was never used (6.5 hrs) so the gear wasnt what I would have chosen if new, however it exceeded my doubts on all accounts..
The machine with loaded tires with me dosent get stuck, and I find the rear blade (frontier) does very well on gravel driveways and real decent sized snow storms. You may have a bigger icing issue and steeper inclines so maybe chains would be needed. Otherwise you dont need the chains, plenty of weight and traction...with this weather I bet you are thinking heated Cab? I'm starting to actually think about it..

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
wigglybridge

2004-01-15          74108

Well, by the time I took delivery on the tractor it was end of November, and we don't do much mowing here that time of year... ;)

So my only PTO experience with it thus far is with the blower, but as I said, it has been just fine with the Gear model. I am very happy I went with the gear, I wouldn't think of having automatic in our cars, so it feels natural to me.

We'll see if I'm still singing the same tune next spring when I get a rear mower for it!

That is, if we ever get a spring -- 16 below and a stiff wind as I type, and I'm shoving wood into the furnace as fast as I can. Hope everyone up north is doing ok -- I don't miss those 40 below nights we used to have up in the St. Lawrence valley. ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-01-15          74110

wigglybridge,
If you are happy with the way your gear tractor runs a blower, you will be just as happy with the way it mows.
Many times the hydro guys make it sound like the gear tractors are near useless for mowing. Not true !!
I'm not cutting down hydro (I like them) but when mowing with my gear tractor I find what usually determines my mowing speed is how rough the area is.

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-01-15          74116

I don't think anyone has said gear tractors are near-useless for mowing or snowblowing. It's just that with a hydro you always have exactly the right speed on tap. In a gear you may find that you want to go a bit faster or a bit slower and you just can't. Of course it will still get the job done. ....

JD 4100 vs 4010

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-01-15          74117

I can't adjust my speed as much on my gear tractor when mowing as can be done with a hydro, but I can adjust it some.
Example- Most of the area I finish mow is open area where I can travel about as fast as the mower can keep up and still cut well, there are a couple of rough areas where I need to slow down considerable. When mowing that area I use the foot throttle instead of the hand throttle, I just back the throttle way down till I'm through that area then punch it back to original speed.
It does bring the PTO speed down some through that area but the mower seems to still cut just fine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login