Go Bottom Go Bottom

Seriously Considering a 4310

View my Photos
sshuma
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2004-01-07          73380

Folks -- I'm new to this board, but thought it was the place to be to help me make a rather large decision on buying a tractor... I've been wanting/needing a compact tractor for years (this will be my first), but between mortgage and job market, haven't pulled the trigger. This winter is pushing me over the edge. The JD 0% financing helps, too.

First, what I'd like to do with the tractor: I have 15 acres in northern Vermont -- mixed hilly and flat. I have a 750' driveway (mostly flat) that I'd like to care for myself -- I'm tired of the plow guy tearing it up. So, a snowblower is a must. And it snows A LOT here. Also, I have about 6 acres of fields I'd like brush hog instead of paying someone else to do it (and maybe someday I'll do a little farming on it). Finally, I cut my own wood on the property, and have a list of landscaping projects as long as my arm -- so a loader is a must (it'll help moving snow banks, too).

I'm looking very seriously at a new JD 4310 MFWD w/ eHydro and R4's. Options are Mid-PTO, Power Beyond (for later backhoe work), Dual + Third SCV's, engine heater, iMatch, loaded rears, and rear chains. Implements are 430 Loader, 59" Front-Mount Snowblower, and MX5 Cutter.

First question: Am I looking at a good machine for my needs (your opinions, please)?

Second question: So far my dealer has quoted me $26,300 for the package -- before JD incentives and taxes. Does that seem reasonable? I've read some other posts here that make it seem like that may be a bit high... But it is about 15% below the 'list' prices on the web... Also, that quote came from one sit-down meeting with the dealer, but after enough phone calls over the years to ask questions and check used inventory that he knows me pretty well. How much haggling do you usually do with tractor dealers?

BTW, my dealer is great. Very friendly, comfortable to work with, and tries very hard to help me out. As I mentioned, I've bugged him a lot over the years, and he's always been very helpful and patient. He's very respected in the area, and does a booming business. He recommended the 4310 to meet my needs, but was willing to talk about any models I chose. And, he never said an unkind word about other brands.

Any words of wisdom would be appreciated. Thanx!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
ncrunch32
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-07          73383

I bought a 4310 4WD e-hydro in March 2003 with R4s, 430FEL, 47BH for $26,500 tax included. I tried to haggle - got a few hundred off over incentives - but dealer wouldn't budge much. I liked the dealer's reputation in the area so I went with him anyway.

I only have 2 acres - wanted to have the tractor to do a large poolyard expansion project - I'm sure it's an overkill, but who knows how much land I might have at my next house ( 8 acres at last house)? I did manage to put 192 hours on it in the first year.

The tractor is a honey. Plenty of power - easy to run. The wife, son and daughter get on it and run it without any problem. I bought an 5' IM502 brush chopper and got rid of a couple of massive brush piles this year. I help the neighbors out - will be digging some drainage ditches in the spring. No project is too large to tackle on my own now.

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2004-01-07          73386

My guess is that price is in the high end of the ballpark. You might see if they will toss in free pickup and delivery for any service and/or the 50 hour service. And, of course, plenty of hats. A good dealer is a BIG part of the equation, and worth paying a little extra for. My dealer has been incredibly good, answering questions, equipment tryouts before buying, etc, and they even traded my R4 tires for R1s for a labor only fee when I discovered the R4s didn't work well in our clay soil.

I bought a 4310 in June and couldn't be happier. The MX-5 cutter is a good match to this tractor, and is an awesome cutter. I've cut down 12 foot vine maples with it and heavy scotch broom (tough stuff) without any effort at all. We don't generally have to blow snow, but I did have to use the loader bucket to plow a couple feet of snow off the 100 foot driveway this year and there was no lack of power. It continues to impress me. We do a lot of tree cutting and the tractor has done all the skidding and stumping I could ask of it. I really like the eHydro with the LoadMatch feature - never a stall and very smooth operation.

I think you'd be happy with it for your needs. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-01-07          73390

This site might help you to compare and configure prices. You have a lot of stuff in your package, I think your dealer can work with you some on the price. ....

Link:   John Deere 4310 Compact Tractor

View my Photos
kadorken

2004-01-10          73649

You might consider using a rear mount snowblower so you can leave the loader on. You use the loader to pile snow, and the blower to move it.

It might be less expensive to get a rear snowblower attachment.

Of course, you have to be comfortable moving snow in reverse...

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-01-14          73968

Thank you all for the input!!

Chief -- When I priced out the components that were listed on the web site you sent me, the price I got from the dealer for that same package was within $30.... So I guess he is in the ballpark -- maybe he is a little over on the attachments (loader, blower, cutter)... But, I talked to him again last week, and he said that when we finalize things, he'll work the prices again to get me the best deal he can. Sounds reasonable to me.

kwschumm -- Thanx for the vote on the MX5 -- that helped sway my decision to it vs. the LX5.

kadorken -- I've been wrestling with the front vs. back-mounted blower. Bottom line is that for my 750' drive, I think I'd prefer going forward... It will be a bummer to have to switch implements if I need the loader, but so it goes...

As a general update -- I'm still working with the dealer, but we have had over a week of frigid weather here, with another week to go (-25F at the house again this morning). So, I haven't had a chance to test drive yet (the dealer got a 4310 w/ eHydro, R4's, and 430 loader in, and I want to go test it out). Hopefully next week we'll get back to the 20's or so and I can get down there. Maybe we'll close the deal then! Keeping my fingers crossed... ....

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-02-05          76031

Well, I finally did it!! The weather finally broke here (by that I mean it got into the 20's), so I went and drove the 4310 on Monday afternoon. Closed the deal shortly thereafter!

The tractor was a blast to drive -- and very easy to operate! The dealer gave me a few quick pointers, then went back in his shop. Within minutes, I was moving snow banks behind the building. I tried it out for about an hour -- the dealer asked if I was done already when I walked back in.

The final package:
Tractor: 4310 4WD, eHydro, R4's, Folding ROPS
Options: Mid-PTO, iMatch, Block Heater, Front and Rear Working Lights, Dual + Third SCV, Power Beyond, Rental Upgrade Kit, Umbrella, and Loaded Rear Tires
Attachments: 430 Loader (w/ grille guard, 61" HD bucket), 59" Front-Mount Snowblower, MX5 Rotary Cutter, and Frontier RB1172 6' Medium Duty Rear Blade.

Final price was $27K before incentives and tax, $27.5K after.

I should get it in 2 weeks! I was definitely thinking about it yesterday as I manually cut down the snowbanks around my driveway, preparing for more snow tomorrow and Saturday... ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-05          76035

Sshuma, congratulations! Sounds like you got a fine deal. You are going to have lots of fun. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-05          76037

sshuma, congratulations! Sounds like you got a VERY well rounded and thought out package. I see that you are in a pretty cold winter area. You may want to consider asking the dealer to add on the transmission oil heater as well. Not that much more money. The part #'s are:

AR94493 - Heater $47.85
AR95434 - Set, Cord $14.03
R34557 - Clamp $ 1.65
R44302 - Tie Band $00.11 each (3) ....

Link:   click here

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-05          76042

sshuma, Congrats! Your package is substantially similar to mine, which I bought back in June of last year. I have no regrets at all and I'm sure you will love your 4310. ....

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-02-06          76151

Chief -- Thank you for the suggestion on the transmission oil heater -- I just talked to my dealer and he'll be adding it on the tractor!

I also found a picture on someone's post of hooks on their bucket, so I asked the dealer about that -- he said they do it a lot, and will be welding 3 hooks on the bucket for me as well!! This board is incredibly helpful -- and educational. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-06          76152

sshuma, more than welcome. Glad to be of help! Don't forget the seat armrest kit! ;o) LOL!

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-02-13          76799

They delivered it at lunch time today!! What an incredible machine! Unfortunately, I had to come back to work -- so didn't get to spend too many hours on it yet... But, I have a long weekend coming up!

The funny part of the story is that they delivered it on a BIG flatbed truck. With the weight of the tractor off of it, they couldn't get back out the driveway. So we hooked the tractor up and I dragged them out to the road! The tractor never slipped a tire -- pretty impressive!

I hope to get some pictures taken this weekend, and uploaded next week.

I did discover one minor problem -- the hydraulic piston that turns the snowblower spout is leaking. I called right away, and the guys who delivered it turned around and came right back (parked at the bridge this time). They were very apologetic, and said they'd be back Monday to install the new one. I can't ask for better service than that. ....

View my Photos
kentfield

2004-02-13          76802

Got JD 4310 e power rev 430fel loaded R4 block heater bucket level ind HD bucket with bolt on cuting edge and pallet fork setup with
pickup or on site service from dealer in Wallpole HN R N Johnson and I
live in wastern Mass about 90 miles had one small oil leak 2 days after del and the repair tech was here the next day
bad O ring on hyd filter the price was 20010.00 ....

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-02-17          77166

Just posted some pics for anyone interested...

I spent most of Saturday (Valentine's Day) on the tractor! My wife was fine -- I had brought her flowers on Thursday and out to dinner Friday 'cause I knew I'd be outside playing Saturday!

The machine is a beast! I spent a few hours moving A LOT of snow that the plow guy had piled up in banks in front of where I wanted to park the tractor (I have a shed roof built off the left side of the barn -- can't see it in the pictures). Then I hooked up the snowblower and cleared out the driveway. The loader, naturally, was not phased by the snow. The blower was amazing!!! I couldn't believe what it was chewing up -- and how far it was throwing it!

All in all, an incredible machine. I can't believe I've lived this long without one!

On the piston -- they were back by 9:30 yesterday morning, but had the wrong part -- so apologized profusely for my 'inconvenience'. They should have it repaired today. The guy brought some hydraulic fluid to top it off, and we discovered that the cap rubs on the power beyond bracket. So he took the bracket back to the shop to modify it, and will submit a suggestion to JD to change the design. So far, I'm very impressed with my dealer and JD's support. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-17          77169

sshuma, great pics! Thanks for the rental upgrade kits shots too! Nice looking machine. Enjoy! I'm sure you already are. ;o) ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-19          77349

I'm in the process of purchasing a 4310. I spoke to several dealers to work out a price. Currently, I'm at about $25,600 for: 4310 w/R4's+calcium, 430 FEL w/HD Bucket, 60" HD Box Scraper, and a 47BH. I think this is decent price (any comment?)...but I'm not sure whether I've got everything covered.

If anyone has some suggestions on what to ask or to stay way from, please let me know. I'm pretty new at this.

Thanks
Mark ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-19          77352

Mark, I'd recommend going with a 72" box scraper. The 60" won't cover your tire tracks. What transmission is included in that price? If that is an eHydro that is a pretty fair price. Are you working in a rough area (logging, etc)? What kind of soil conditions will you be working in? If you're working in the Pacific NW Woods I think the R4 tires may cause you some problems. I live and work in the Oregon woodlands and the R4 tires caused me no end of grief in the clay soil here. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-20          77420

It is in fact eHydro. Currently, I have 3.5 acre which is mostly woodland except for about 1 acre of pasture. The terrain is somewhat mixed and soil is collection of clay in some areas and rocky in others excluding the pasture. I have plans of clearing another 1 acre of the woodland area. Do you have any suggestion for size of bucket on the BH? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-20          77422

That price is fairly good. The rule of thumb is generally 10-20% off list price is reasonable. Off the top of my head that price seems to be 12-15% off list. You may know that you can get the list price of everything on the JD web site by using the "Build and price" option.

Sorry, no backhoe experience here although I'm drooling over one :)

Being as you're working in woodlands you might want to consider the skid plates in the "Rental Upgrade Kit". This kit has stuff you probably don't want (like a C-range lockout) but the skid plates will help keep slash and brush from working their way up into your wiring harnesses and eHydro pedals and messing something up. I think the kit lists for $305, maybe your dealer will give you a price break.

Also, consider your tires. You might ask your dealer what others in your area are using in the same conditions. Those R4s are incredibly bad in muddy conditions (like the rainy Pacific NW where you are), and in my case they gave lousy traction even in DRY clay soil conditions. If I were you, since you aren't mowing (are you?) I'd trade the R4s for the skid plates in a heartbeat. ....

View my Photos
JDF415

2004-02-20          77423

sshuma,
That is a nice looking tractor. I live in Kansas and we don't get enough snow to justify the snowblower. Does it work very well? Is it worth the extra cost vs just buying a blade and pushing the snow?
Thanks for your response. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-20          77430

Mark - I am very happy with the 13 inch bucket on the 47 backhoe. I think its a good "average" size for digging post holes, planting trees, moving dirt around from place to place, etc. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-20          77433

This is my first post in probably a year due to some medical challenges that I've had and overcome, so glad to be back. I currently have a 4300 and a 4310, but have just traded the 4300 for a 4410. Both are 12/12 reversers with R4's, mid PTO's and 430 loaders. Your questions about the loader buckets, one loader has the heavy duty bucket and the other has the Deere 4 way bucket, the 4 way does a great job of gathering and carrying brush away, but you must have the 3're hyd. valve to operate the clam of the bucket. I've had a 48 hoe on the 4300 that will now be on the 4410. I've really never saw a # 47 hoe, so I can't make any comments about it, but the #48 has been a great machine, easy to mount, the controls match a full size Deere hoe, so it's an easy machine to use and will do an amazing amount of work for it's size. Have had very few problems with the tractors or attachments, and dealer service has been super. One other item of note, Deere now offers a canopy kit that mounts on the tall ROPS, their dealer literature doesn't mention it but on their website it shows it as an option, I ordered one with the 4410 being I've never had much luck with umbrellas, so time will tell how that works out, thanks, Frank. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-21          77517

I have no current plans to use the tractor for mowing; but that could change. I look into the Rental Upgrade...thanks for put. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-21          77518

ncrunch32 - have you looked at the mechanical thumb as an option?

Mark ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2004-02-21          77527

Mark - no I haven't. I think someone used a mechanical thumb who pulled some shrubs for my mother. I didn't see it but the guy who did the job told me he loved the attachment - that he found it very useful for a lot of jobs. I'm not nearly as knowledgable as others on this site. Maybe they have an opinion.

Joe. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-21          77535

I'm hoping that someone has an opinion on the manufactures Bradco for backhoes and Rankin for boxscrapers. When I went to negotiate on the JD4310, they offered these implements as a replacement for 47 bh and 5' frontier box scaper. Not sure of the quality or durability...any thoughts.

Mark ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-21          77536

If you are getting I-Match I'd recommend you NOT buy a Rankin box scraper until you're sure it fits. They sold me some I-Match pallet forks that don't fit and they won't even talk to me about it. Fortunately the dealer is replacing them with Rears forks that actually fit. I really like my Frontier box scraper. ....

View my Photos
DK35vince

2004-02-22          77571

mav7768,
Lamarbur, a member of this site owns a Bradco backhoe (All though a larger unit than you would need) and seems quite happy with it. ....

View my Photos
tw fahl

2004-02-22          77572

i bought new 4310 e-hydro & found it way underpowered.traded in with 8 hrs on it for new 4410 e hydro and found 4410 to be twice the tractor.well worth extra money spemt. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-22          77579

3 hp and a little more torque make twice the tractor? The machines are otherwise identical, so I believe you are engaging in hyperbole. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-22          77616

kwschumm, I noticed the 4-n-1 in your pictures...nice. Not sure whether to go that route or not. I took some pictures of the area, which I'm planning to do most of my work. Lots of down trees and heavy brush to clear for landscaping...hopefully get them available on this site in a day or so. I'd like to get your opinion on whether or not it is worthe the extra expense. It appears to me that the bucket is bit smaller than the HD one for the 430...is that a correct observation? And what could I expect the difference to be in the cost of a 4-n-1?

Thanks,

Mark ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-22          77617

I don't have a 4-in-1 bucket but instead have a grapple and a regular HD bucket, so you must be talking about the grapple. The grapple has tines on the top and bottom jaws. A 4-in-1 is a regular bucket with the top section hinged so it can open and close. The grapple is wonderful for clearing and piling up slash and trees but it and a bucket combined probably cost more than a 4-in-1 (not sure what a 4-in-1 costs, maybe someone else can answer). My grapple is a 5-footer and cost around $2500. If you're interested in the grapple here's a link. ....

Link:   Borgford grapple

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-22          77637

kwschumm -- my mistake...still learning. I've got tree trunks, brush and some good size rocks to move about...if you have a suggestion about the best course of action, I'd like to hear it.

Mark ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-22          77639

A 4-in-1 would probably be a good way to go but I have no experience with one. Since the majority of work I do is moving trees and brush, and it will be an ongoing process as long as we live here, I opted to spend the extra money for the grapple. The advantage of the grapple is that I can pick up brush and trees and leave most of the dirt behind - the 4-in-1 will pick up more dirt, which is bad for chainsaws and makes slash piles harder to burn. To use the 4-in-1 or grapple requires installation of a third SCV.

Perhaps someone who owns a 4-in-1 will chime in here. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-23          77647

Yes. I have a 4 in one bucket on a 430 loader. I just got it in late fall so I've only used it to pile some brush. It worked fine for that but I'll give it a true test this spring with some landscape work. I've really never measured the difference but it does appear to have less volume capacity than the regular bucket on my other 430. It appears the floor of the clam part of the bucket is sort of a hollow box beam making it thicker than the regular bucket. I'm asuming that is for strength to prevent twisting of the clam should you pinch a limb or something off center of the bucket. It will just about cut a 2x4 in half so it seems to have lots of pinch power. I don't remember the exact cost, but you do need the third valve on the tractor plus a line kit that puts a third set of couplers where the two sets are now on the right side of the tractor where you plug the other hoses in for the loader. The Drott Co. built an almost identical bucket for crawler tractors back in the 50's and 60's. I've never operated one of those, but I've watched them being used and was allways amazed at the things an experenced operator could do with a Drott bucket. ....

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-02-25          77930

Hardwood,glad your feeling better.Can you tell a big
difference in the power between your 4410&4310? I'm
thinking about trading my 4310 for a 4410 to handle
my 72"mmm better.What dealer did u trade with?I think I live about 50mi. from you?

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-26          77947

DRH1983; If you're in Cedar Rapids then I live about 20 mi. north of you. We do lots of road ditch, fence row and field waterway mowing in the summer. Sometimes due to wet weather or spring planting dutys We don't get to the mowing till the grass is quite big so at times the MX5 or the Land Pride 84 in rotary mower just about tax out the 4300 so thought maybe a few extra HP would'nt hurt. I traded the 4300 with 12/12 trans., mid pto, R4's for a basicly identical 4410. I don't have it yet, the last I knew it is to be built Mar. 12. I thought the dealer gave me a real fair trade, and there must be quite a demand for used ones. The dealer called within a few days after we traded to ask if he could show it to an interested party, they came later that day, the man bought it the same day. I traded with Rowley Equip., Rowley, Ia. They've allways treated me right and corrected any problems without a hitch. Frank. ....

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-02-26          78021

Sorry hardwood,I don't have the premuim membership so
I lost you after the 4th line,care to repost for this
cheep-skate or maybe I could test drive your 4410 when the
grass gets tall? thanks..drh

View my Photos
hardwood

2004-02-27          78060

DRH1983; I traded my 4300 12/12, R4's for identical 4410 at Rowley Equip, Rowley, Ia. They've allways treated me right on sales and service. The 4410 won't be built till Mar 12. They ask if an interested party could come see the 4300 a few days after we traded,he bought it on the spot, so they must hold their resale value. Call Jeff at Rowley Equip, he'll direct you to me and you can take it for a spin. Frank.

View my Photos
drh1983

2004-02-27          78137

Thanks hardwood,a few years a go I bought a JD425 from
them,good people with good prices. I'm sure I will do
business with them again.... ....

View my Photos
ridgerunnertc

2004-02-27          78140

I HAVE A 4310, A L4310 KUBOTA WOULDNT TRADE IT FOR ANY OTHER TRACTOR, GIVE THEM A LOOK, GOOD SERVICE AND A ROCK SOLID TRACTOR, PAY FOR A PROVEN TRACTOR AND NOT A NAME THAT ISNT WHAT IT USED TO BE ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-28          78173

I received a lot of good feedback and now I'm on my way out the door to sign the papers on a JD4310, R4's w/ calcium, 430FEL with 4-in-1, HD box scraper, 47bh w/ 13" bucket, and iMatch. If there is any other comment to make...do it now or hold thy peace. All in all, serious money...but I need to consider that more toys are better.

thanks again,

Mark ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-02-28          78174

Not sure what you mean when you say "a name that isn't what it used to be", if you are saying that John Deere builds a better compact tractor than it ever has I would have to agree. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-28          78176

mav7768, I would strongly suggest negotiating in the price of the package the engine block heater, trans. oil heater, rental upgrade kit, and dual forward & rear facing light kits. Maybe even the seat arm rest kit and wheel wieghts. The salesman can discount these item 25% on a new sale. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-28          78177

Chief, I live in the Pacific Northwest so I'm not really sure that the engine block heater and oil heater is necessary? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-28          78178

In NW Oregon I've never needed the heaters - starts right up every time. However the tractor lives in the garage and is not exposed directly to the coldest temperatures we have here. Even if not needed for starting, though, there is less wear and tear on the machine when the oil and engine are already warm. If I had it parked in an uninsulated garage I'd probably opt for the heaters for wintertime use, otherwise I wouldn't. Your call. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-28          78179

The block is not required but sure makes prewarming up the engine nice so it warms up fast and you can get to using the tractor faster. I installed my own. It is a nice to have item but not required. Same with the other stuff too but they sure make use a lot more user friendly. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-28          78180

Thanks again...the tractor stays in a garage that in most cases is warmer than the house (do to reasons beyond my understanding).

The last vehicle I purchased was a 1988 Toyota 4X4, which cost significantly less than the tractor. The Toyota will remain outside.

I'll send some pictures when I get...hopefully in week or two...They got to order the 4-n-1.

Thanks again,

Mark ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-02-28          78181

Don' forget to make the dealer give you the hats, coffee mugs, and Tee Shirts!!!! ;o) ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-02-28          78229

Well it is on the way...JD4310, R4's calcium, 430FEL with 61" HD Bucket, 47BH with 13" Bucket, 60" Box Scraper, iMatch, FWD&Rear Lights, and the Rental Upgrade. The total came to $25,815...plus the hats. The saleman talked me out of the 4-in-1. Based on what I wanted to use it for, he told me it probably wouldn't last for more than a year...meaning I would bend up the bucket.

Mark ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-02-29          78246

Congratulations mav7758! Sounds like a real nice setup. You'll have to post some pics when it comes in. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-03-01          78440

When you think its over...its not. I want to place hook(s) on the bucket. Any recommendations? I have some ideas, but I'm looking for some experience.

Mark ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-01          78448

Sometimes it is nice to have a couple different hooks, maybe a loose grab in the middle and a chain link hook on each end. Sometimes it works best to have a link or loop before the hook on the bucket so the hook can hange freely when the bucket is rolled. My Dad used to have hooks on the back side of his bucket also so the load would be lifted closer to the tractor and you could pick up more weight that way. ....

View my Photos
mav7768

2004-03-01          78460

CraigC,
Please excuse my ignorance, I think I got the first sentence; but not to clear on the second.

I looked up some hooks on the web. I found the Grab and the Slip that I think the latter is the slip, which you referenced. Is that about right?

I'm struggling with the second sentence. Should the hooks be attached to a ring or chain and that ring or chain is attached to the bucket?

I really like the idea of having the two different types hooks. I just need a little more information on how they should be attached. Could you please also give me an idea of how far down the backside of the bucket the hooks should be placed.

Thanks
Mark

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-01          78465

A loose grab hook is an open hook that you could hook a chocker or cable is or run a chain through that you would hook back it itself. What a call a link hook is the more common that you just hook a link of the chain in. Some guys weld the bare hook to the bucket and some guys weld a link or a loop to the bucket so the hook can hang freely. As far as how far down the back side of the bucket, I guess you would have to see what works best on your loader. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
blizzard

2004-03-02          78469

Mark,
There's quite a bit of info about adding hooks to a bucket on this board. By far the grab hook is the most common. If you do a search using the keyword hook you will be rewarded. My pic #19 shows a hook added near the side of the bucket. A centered single hook close to the top front edge of the bucket is the primary location of choice, additional hooks near the sides are handy if you want to balance a load. You can always make up short lengths of chain with other means of attachment once you have a grab hook.
If you haven't taken delivery yet, you might ask your dealer to add one or more.

Hope this helps,
bliz ....

Link:   Weld_on_Hook

View my Photos
sshuma

2004-03-02          78481

My dealer welded 3 hooks across the top of my bucket for me for $150 -- you can see them in my picture #3.... ....

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-05          78929

I'm down to choosing between the JD 4510 and L3830. Near as I can tell, they're very comparable except JD beats the Kubota on specs. Each seems to have its selling points. JD is a 4cyl vs 3 for Kubota. How do the JD plastic cowls & fenders hold up? Anything I'm missing here? ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-05          78931

Trakorb, do yourself a favor and get the 4610, it is the better value in much the same fashion as the 4310 is for the medium frame class 4000 Ten Series. You get the best bang for the buck and the resale will be much better. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-05          78932

Oh no, it's the dreaded Plastic vs. Metal debate!!

Some folks won't buy anything but metal, and more power to 'em. But if you look closely you'll find plastic on the Kubota too.

If you leave it parked outside all the time the metal may last longer (but watch that rust). If you bang around in the woods the plastic will look better longer and won't dent/scratch/rust and you don't have to worry about repainting it. If a piece of firewood rolls off the back of the loader bucket and bounces off the hood the metal will dent and the plastic will likely survive. Either will be a problem if you bang something hard enough.

For my money I wouldn't make my decision on this issue, but it's your call. ....

View my Photos
CraigC

2004-03-05          78933

A lot of people seem to be scared of the plastic, I think it is a good idea. I know a Mack truck isn't a compact tractor but my Dad bought a Mack new in 1979 and it pulled a dump trailer for the 15 years He owned it, it had a fiberglass hood on it and when He sold the truck the hood was still in good shape. A dump truck has a very hard life especially in my area (Northwest Indiana) in and out of steel mills, harsh winters and rough construcion sites. With all of the flexing and bouncing a truck does you might think that hood would break in half but it held up fine. Just my opinion. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2004-03-05          78934

I have had both steel and now the plastic composite fender work on my 4410. I like the plastic as it is much easier to repair a scratch and it does not rust. ....

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-05          78936

This is a tough decision; stats lie and I've been burned enough to know... I actually like both machines. The JD is at least another $1200, but I like loader control loc, and I'm not real big on the intellipanel. Didn't like the plastic panels for engine access. kw, I saw you are nearby, I'm out by Farmington. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2004-03-05          78946

Trakorb, welcome to the forum - it's good to have more Oregonians on board! Where have you been shopping? Fisher Implement in Hillsboro has been unbelievably excellent to deal with for me, both before and after the sale. I shopped Kubota at Crawford-Olsen but they were terrible - chaotic and rude and they didn't want to talk to me. I drove out to Gresham and talked to the guys at Moen Machinery about Kubota - they're great out there, but I didn't want a dealer that was that far away. I'm not sure that the stats are wrong on either machine, I'm sure they will both do what's promised. Don't get too wrapped up in specs - it's unlikely you'll notice small differences. More important are things like price, ergonomics, and the dealer you like to work with. All my opinion of course. ....

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-06          78968

KW, yeah, Fisher is great, Crawford has been good too since a friend bought a tractor from them. I would probably buy in central OR though. I'm beginning to think this is like chocolate, and black labs... Everybody has their favorite and what I like about one, I don't about the other as usual. I'll go drive both over the next week and that will tell. I will be getting a bodozer blade whichever way I go. I appreciate everyones advice. ....

View my Photos
Trakorb

2004-03-06          78977

KW, I changed my profile so you could drop an email if you like. Since we're only a few miles apart, we could compare notes. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login