Go Bottom Go Bottom

Do I need a JD 42104WD or go smaller

View my Photos
ponyman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-23          72035

I've narrowed my search. I eliminated NHTC29D, the price was higher than Kubota or JD, JD is offering rebates, 0 financing for three years, which cuts the bill for me by 1500 dollars off the bat. Priced out a 4210, hydro, 4WD, MMM, loader with quick attach bucket and quick attached JD 6' front blade. Attaches quickly to the loader boom arms, very slick. Offers hydro side to side, up and down, and tilt as well. MMM is a 60 inch. I haul manure, in winter snow, need the power and traction. Kubota BX series is "cute" but too low to the ground, not enough snap..I'd have to go with the Kubota 2910. It has a similar price really, both dealers are nearby. Can anyone tell me, about using the snow blade on the loader arms, good feature or nightmare? seems good to me so far. I know the deck is the 7 IRON 7 mill quality JD Deck..the snow plow is strong as an ox. The tires will be loaded, on the JD..

I have heard and read that the 4210 is a bugger to put the MMM on and off, any comments to help me or share? I am about settled on the JD 4210. Wife likes that two pedal gas and reverse, can't handle that large, single pedal on Kubota..hurts her ankles after a few minutes of backing, going forward. This is a new game for me, I've been an "antique" Farmall man for years, it is time I get some good ole' power steering and comfort of use, and traction to move that spreader out..and to mow the five acres of grass, and also pasture about 4 times a year to a height of about 4 or 5 inches..I READ that the JD 4210 mower has a POOR LIFT RANGE..so my two questions are this in a nutshell:

l. Will that snow plow on the loader arms be a problem? It's similar to a Curtis quick attach.

2. Will that JD Deck lift at least 5 inches off the ground to mow pasture? Any real problems out there with the 4210 I am not aware of? Thanks so much..for anyone's time in replying. I've always been a RED POWER man, but the green one looks very good to me, and believe it or not, it is priced below the Kubota 2910 similarly equipped. Thanks..Please help me out here..we are talking 22 thousand bucks overall. I am not being cheap..just being careful.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
jdgreen

2003-12-23          72037

The snowplow should be no problem, although for my money, I would push snow with the bucket and buy a rear mount rotary cutter for your pasture instead of the snow blade. The MMM is not intended for the heavy grass and possibly uneven terrain you will encounter in a pasture. A rear mount, single spindle "bush hog" type mower is much better suited for this job. You will probably end up with belt failures and damaged blades using the MMM. I have pushed lots of snow using the loader bucket and I don't see the big benefit of a front blade. A rear blade is much cheaper and used along with the loader is very useful. You can plow snow going forward and backward with that setup. I feel the 4210 is a good choice for you as long as you don't want to go to a 72" mower. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-23          72050

The 4210 is a nice tractor but I personally feel that for just a little more money you can go with the 4310 which is also a medium frame tractor and will accomodate a 430 FEL which has a good bit more capacity than the 420 loader. If size is a factor or being too big; you may want to consider the 4115 or 4110. I have the 72" MMM and yes you can cut pasture with it PROVIDED you have walked it for obstacles and objects AND removed them. The MMM does a nice job but it is not designed for this so you need to be careful. It is NOT a rotary cutter. Yes you can adjust the MMM up to 5" in height but I am not sure you can on the 4210. For the work you are wanting to do, I would suggest either the 4115 from the smaller perspective or go with the 4310. You can mount an MX4 or MX5 or if you don't mind the added price and reduced utility; a flail mower. I cut about 8 acres of pasture with my MMM but I am extremely careful with it. I plan to eventually buy an MX5 for this and opening up more pasture grown up in brush. As far as lift range, I think a good bit of this is dependent upon the size tires on the tractor. The taller the tires, the better lift range for the MMM. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-23          72056

Thanks for the input. Realize the MMM is not a ram-jam work horse, right. My pasture was graded well and there are NO obstacles, really at all..it's like a lawn really..with tall fescues and NO stumps, shrubs or stone protruding. I used a Woods L59 on a low-boy for 8 years with the deck raised about 6 inches..it did fine. I need the power, and the ground clearance really for hauling manure in all kinds of weather. Need the traction. I just don't think a sub-compact will help me there in the snow covered ground. I appreciate very much all the input. It helps greatly. By the way, there's a lot of "money in horses! ((I know...I've put a lot of money in them))......an old joke but it makes you think..smile. Looking also at a Kubota 2910..please don't shoot me. I'm too young to die.

THe blade on the loader arms? I have a 600 foot blacktop lane to plow..I was fearful a loader would have to "herringbone the loads, side to side..it would take all day..whereas the blade could clear it faster and cleaner..myabe I'm wrong here..however..I understand the comments about the back blade..and appreciate that also. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-23          72057

Thank you for the input. I appreciate that. The lane is 600 feet long, on an incline. I figured the blade would do a faster job is all..less dumping of snow loads with a bucket, but the back blade is something to consider yes. my two pastures are about 3 acres and l and a half acre, total, and smooth as a baby's bottom..lanscaped when seeded and kept clean..a woods 59 raised six inches did a good job, really..just moving up to more power to move manure in the winter and plow snow, but want to cut the lawn also in better weather..Thank you. ....

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-23          72058

I used to cut my pastures with a Cub 154 Lo Boy. It had the original MMM that came on it new. Did a good job but was just getting too old to keep up. Was a good little tractor. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-25          72189

I figure by now you have probably made your decision, But just to throw a wrench in the works. You mention 22 Grand. I just received my TC33Dhst W/ 7308 FEL and 60MMM for 19,100, Granted the financing was .9 for 2 years, I was qouted higher for the JD 4115 with the same features.
I do know what you mean about horses, I made the mistake of adding up some of our expenses the other day. The horse was not that expensive, but add in the 12x24 runnin shed, fencing for 3 acres, tractor to mow and move manure, farrier, Hay, Feed, Dental, Vet. I figure my horse is worth about Oh!!! $40,000. Ok so I get free fertilizer for my flower beds and Garden so lets say $39,800 ( There is alot of fertilizer. ) But they are worth every penny. I can't explain the affect of just going out and spending the time working with them. My long term health bill savings is probably much more then the costs. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-25          72201

The 4115 is about $2,000+ - less than an ehydro equipped 4210. I would suggest you demo these models and the over brands of this size/hp group and see what you like best. If you want the MMM to cut like you say, I'm thinking you will have to go with the 4310. I am not sure how much adjustment is on the 4115 for height. Mark can best fill you in on this. I am not sure you will like a 60" MMM as there is not much over lap of the tires. Makes cutting up close more difficult. You will also be surprised how hp a MMM takes if you get into some thick pasture grass. Occasionally my 4410 gets bogged down and I have to slow up or back up or cut at two different lengths to get to the height I want. Unless cost is an issue, I would suggest the 4310. It the most popular model and that can help you down the road. The 4115 is a great choice if smaller size is an issue. 24 hp in a tractor that size is a nice combination and the hydro is included. Unless you have the need of the larger model due to impliments or amount of land. I would think the 4115 would cover most any job you want. The draw back is the FEL choices. You can have the 430 FEL with the 4310. I think you have some serious comparison demo's to get done. ;o) ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-25          72203

Thanks, Chief. I appreciate the input and I am narrowing down my confusion to a sharp point..but it seems to be a question mark now!!?? The 4210 weights quite a bit more for sure, than the 4115.With some soft ground in places, almost a ton in weight differentail between 177l, and 2675 lbs for the 4210. I see the 4115 does have about a foot of ground clearance, that's great for me..snow depth when I spread manure and all. With the 600 foot lane to plow out, I wonder if the 4115 can have a loader-arm-mounted quick hitch blade, (using a quick hitch bucket) that's available like on the 4210. If Curtis makes one that will fit that loader, It would be great. I know the 410 loader to some people is a toy, but I only need to spread some shale and gravel now and then, and scoop horse manure in the spring..and it would be light duty really. I have always been comfortable with the Cubs, their size, etc., weights of things involved. It could be the 4210 is a bit more tractor than I really need. I have to focus on the fact that I'm in the pony business, horses, and not buying a tractor to impress myself..I am beginning to think that 4115 will fill the bill and as one member here said, mowing will be my primary task in the summertime..for sure. It is supposed to be a great, light weight mowing tractor. I'd use the 60 inch deck, I'm set up that way..with the ole' Woods 59 I'm using now..am I answering my own quesiton here? The 4115 has three times the power of the fresh-motored cub, really..and 4WD. If it can haul out a Cub Farmall 100 spreader, ground drive..I think it is my answer really. I know it will plow the snow. And a snow blower down the road, money-wise would be a nice addition. I have some tight spaces here..and I think I'd love that 4210 or 4310 but in the end, I'd be happier maneuvering that 4115 I think. Am I making any sense to anyone out there? Or am I spinning my wheels? Thanks.. ....

View my Photos
ponyman

2003-12-25          72206

Chief, when you say overlap problem, consideration to make on the 60 inch MMM, does that apply to the 4115? or the 4210 you were also speaking of..thanks. I'd sure like to know who Mark is you mentioned? So maybe I can discuss a 4115 with him more? Thanks again so much. I never made "Chief" I was an E-5, but hey...I never ran "to Canada"...that's for sure..Merry Christmas. Thanks for the input and the time you put into it. Very much. An aside, I never let the pasture "fall over"..I cut it about 8 to 10 inches, down to about 5..less strain on the tractor..it worked with that Cub lo-boy and L59 woods, I would think the 4115 with 60 inch MMM would serve me well? What do you think.. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-25          72208

I think from reading your posts you have done your research and have weight the options of what you really need vs what you want and you choose the practical route. You are not going to do alot of FEL work and need a good general all around compact tractor. I Think the 4115 will meet your needs and do what you want.
Good Luck in what ever you decide. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-26          72249

Ponyman, I have a busy couple of days ahead of me and I haven't had time to go through every issue in your e-mail, but two things off the top of my head:

1) The 46 backhoe is specifically set up for the machine. Even the sub-frame from a 4110 will not fit a 4115, so if is unlikely that a rented generic b/h will fit on a given tractor or be safe to use..... as in voiding the warranty.

2) Given your circumstances I think you will be very pleased with the 4115 with one word of caution. I don't know how much your loaded manure spreader weighs but if it is over 2000 pounds and your land is hilly, the tail might wag the dog sometimes. Talk to some other members on this issue like F350lawman. He hauls a lot of s#!* and his 790 is nearly the same weight and horsepower as a 4115. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login