Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help me decide JD NH or Kubota

View my Photos
yodaddyo
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-21          71838

hi guys, i am still in search of the right tractor, its been a 3 month ordeal. i ve been looking at a jd 4310 size tractor. what i would like is a low hours used one with loader and backhoe. ive been too late on a couple of deals (my life story) . i know this may sound tacky but i didnt like the way the orange on the kubota fades it just looks to me like they lose value faster than the deeres and there are more of them out there, but i read that most guys like their kubotas. help, im stuck and dont know which way to go yet (plus the money is burning a hole in my pocket). any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-21          71839

Lets start here..... Is there a particular reason you want that size T/L/B ? I'd bet a used tractor in that frame size is pretty close to the same price as a new 4110 T/L/B or a new B7500 with all the goodies.

I particularly like the 4110/7500 class of tractor because they are easily transportable. When you kick the weight up another 1500-2000 pounds (as you would with a 4310 package) you have exceeded the capacity of the average 7000 gvw, 16 foot trailer and are now needing a truck and trailer with 10,000 pound capacities just to take it in for service or over to Aunt Martha's to fix her septic problem.

If you need the horses for bushhogging or some-such, you can still get a powerful lightweight package with a 4115 or a B7800.

I think tractors are priced by the pound anyway......... ....

View my Photos
wallac

2003-12-21          71842

Why are you just looking at the JD,NH,KB. Have you looked at the KIOTIES or the MAHINDRAS? ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-21          71845

We sell many of the Kubota's to commercial operators which don't like to wax there equipment and much of the year they do sit out. Kubota to many of the people who stop here tell me I'm the only one in the dead of winter that would dare attempt to start the compacts they are looking for and many of them are glad they can sit outside from lack of garage space. Kubota's are going to have older models around do to the fact the original Yanmars were the only ones here with the bota's, it was only in later years they changed to deere and that would make a difference on the paint to. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-21          71849

The 4310 is a VERY popular model and provided that is the size tractor you want; I think you will be VERY happy with it especially with ehydro.

Mark brings up some very good points to consider and very good tractor suggestions. Once you have settled on a size/hp tractor and more importantly what your planned uses for it are; I think we can give you a better group of suggestions. You should also consider what type of transmission, tires, and any other possble impliments you prefer. It is best to finance these altogether if possible and it gives you the best bargaining power.

CAREFULLY consider the dealer you buy from as they will be your life line for warranty and customer support if needed. You want a dealer you can trust and be assured you will get good work from. My experience has been when I feel as fired up to buy something as you sound; it is best to take a bit of a "cooling off period" and rethink your position. Make your purchase with confidence that you have done as much research as is possible. Best not to rush the purchase and wish you had gotten something else later on. ....

View my Photos
AC5ZO

2003-12-22          71916

I agree with the Chief. It would be a good thing to step back and take the emotion out of this decision. If you rush to buy something it might not suit your needs and it may cost you a lot of money to correct the decision.

The 4310 is a very good tractor. It was one of the ones that I looked at when I was considering my tractor purchase a couple of years ago. I did not go with JD simply because of the local dealer's "take it or leave it" attitude. That being said, it is very important to think about the situation down the road. You will need service at one time or another and it would be good to cultivate that relationship as part of the process. A dealer is not going to feel obligated to go out of his way to help you with a service or waranty problem if you bought the tractor elsewhere.

There are other brands of tractors out there besides the big three and in some areas, those brands might well provide some savings as long as you think through the service and cost of ownership issues at that initial purchase. If for example you move, you might not find a local dealer for gray market or smaller brand names in your new location.

When I bought my tractor, it was primarily for moving large metal items with the FEL and it does secondary duty for road and landscape maintenance. The size of the tractor that I needed was related to the lifting height and weight of the items that could be safely handled by the FEL. That data point feeds right into the tractor frame size, motor HP, and other specifications that became moot. I still had a choice of transmissions, a couple of engine sizes, and tires, but that was about it. ....

View my Photos
yodaddyo

2003-12-22          71951

thanks guys for all the input. for some reason i have green stuck in my head. how different is a 4300 from a 4310? im really leaning towards the 4300 series, its a little bigger than what my father wanted (bx22) and not too big for the farm/barn. ive had some great offers so far but just hesitant to pull the trigger. i guess i just hate to see my account dip that far!!!!!!! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-26          72242

Just looked at a jd4400 last week that has 445hours on it and it is going to need to be buffed to bring the plastic pieces up to snuff. They show far more fading and oxidizing then the steel parts. This unit has been in the sun during the summer. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-12-26          72245

Deere advises caution on those plastic hoods and such. They say to use a premium non abrasive car wax and a soft cloth and the color will come back. ....

View my Photos
Peters

2003-12-26          72250

Fade is a function of loght wavelength. The closer the absorption of light to the UV the faster it will fade. Blues and greens generally fade slower than a red or orange. There are a number of very stable green and blue dyes or pigments but stable red and orange pigments are harder to find. You have to stablize the reds and orange more than a green or blue. I believe it attests to Kubota quality that they fade as slow as they do. The red on my Bush Hog was faded before I bought it new at the dealer. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-26          72256

The issue with the faded paint is applicable to pretty much all tractors if you leave them parked out in the sun and weather. My L245 was severely faded and the paint looked horrible. I buffed it out with some McGuiar's Heavy Oxidation Remover and the paint looked as good as new. Same thing applies with the plastic/fiberglass on the John Deere's. ....

View my Photos
drcjv.

2003-12-27          72357

Yodaddyo this board serves a great purpose in sharing knowledge and experiance on CUTS and many other types of equipment. I have learned a great deal from others on this board. I would cuation to remmember alot of the information is in the form of opinion based on each persons own experiances. Some people are strong supporters of their color.Art is a definite kubota man which make perfect sence since he makes his living with them. I would hope he would not sell something unless he truly thought it was the best.Chief is a JD man based on his experiances and so on. When I weighed value,reliability and dealer NH,JD and kubota were fairly close, but when I actually got on and tried all of the machines I knew very quickily that I wanted a NH. Believe it or not I do have a point here. Listening to everyones opinions should just be part of your decision making process the most important part is getting on and using each machine you are considering. I am sure one will seem right for you. ....

View my Photos
ncrunch32

2003-12-27          72358

I went with a JD 4310 over Kubota when I did weight comparisons. The JD just looked heavier built to me for the same money.

Other intangibles come into play. Like the fact that my neighbor - a Kubota man - dug holes on my property with his FEL to get topsoil - I had to get a survey to show him where the property line was. After that - a Kubota was pretty much out of the picture. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login