Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD quality vs Kubota quality

View my Photos
wildbill
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-12-20          71788

I am still going through my buy decision analysis between the JD and Kubota compacts. Have looked at both tractors and like both. The Kubota provids more features for the money than JD, telescoping draft links and engine HP. Standard tire sizes on the Kubota Grand Ls are larger than JD. Someone tell me why I should pay more for the same size JD than a Kubota.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-20          71789

Because you like green paint rather than orange paint and the nice Deere logo!!
As a Deere owner I bought as the slightly used price was low not high. I have never found a used NH or Kubota for the prices I got on my Deere. I think that Deere had an egonomics advantage up until the Grand L. It also had a better dealer network but Kubota has spent a lot of time and money on them lately. Now? I am afraid I would have to go with what meets your needs and price.

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-12-20          71800

I admit I'm biased as I do get to play with these tractors for a living, but it should be the other way around! ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-21          71809

I think the JD has far better ergonomics than the Kubota, Grand L included. But hey, that's me. Pricewise, are you comparing dealer quotes or list prices? It's the out the door dealer price that matters. Some dealers don't dicker until they know you are serious.

WRT tires, JD has lots of tire options and if your dealer has bigger tires on the lot he may throw them in. It's funny, but some people have to pay more for R4s and others pay more for R1s. JD has several sizes of R1s, at least on the mid-frame tractors. ....

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-21          71817

I have to agree w/ Kwschumm as far as the dealer price's. In My search I found that I was qouted list price on the Deere and the Kubota Dealer gave me the sale price w/ Multi attachment discount. The JD Dealer did not do that until I asked him if there was a discount for buying attachments with tractor vs. purchasing them later. It was the same thing with NH, Except the difference was in the NH Dealer's. One acted like I was inconveniencing him by asking questions and for a price qoute ( He gave me the list price of Both the NH and Kubota's. Even after I told him I was going to purchase a tractor as soon as I had weight the options and price, he didn't budge. Needless to say I went back to the other dealer and even after he provided me with his " best Sale price " I had the wife come with me and told the dealer I was sold on the tractor, now he just had to convince the wife. He came down another couple hundred bucks. Just some of the experience I had.
I think they are all good tractors and sometimes you are going to pay for some creature comforts. It was discussed in another thread somewhere about the importance of some of those creature comforts. If you have to hold your arm way out to use the FEL and you are going to be doing alot of FEL work. This could get tiresome quick. I paid a little more for my TC33 over the Kubota just for that reason. I just felt a little more comfortable in the drivers seat.
Good luck and which ever you choose I am sure you will be happy and have fun ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-21          71820

AS far as for operator comfort on tractors I find the Kubota controls comfortable. I have been driving farm tractors for nearly 40 years and Kubota is the most like what I'm used to. Being in the buisness and talking these tractors day in and out I know that the Kubota is the best long term value of the compacts. In comfort for the operator Kubota has lead the industry with the first factory installed cab for a compact tractor as well as the first hydraulic shuttle. Kubota offers simple basic controls that in 20 years will still be operating. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-21          71853

wildbill, I am not sure I would agree with your premise that the JD cost more and offers less options. While that may be the case sometimes, when you look a little closer sometimes it ain't so. What tractors did you have in mind that you are making this comparison? ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-21          71855

I hate salesmen, but yet I have to work with them from a different side from you. They are normally on commision, often untrained, or have little or only second hand experience to talk about. They do all price across the board! ....

View my Photos
wildbill

2003-12-21          71872

Chief, I am comparing the Kubota 3430 with Hydro and loader with a JD4410 eHydro with loader. One thing that I noticed is that the JD is quoted with 11.2 x 24 ag tires and no telescoping draft links while tha Kubota has 12.4 x 24 ags and telescoping draft links. The loaders are about equal except that the Kubota comes with a 5.5 foot bucket and the JD 430 comes standard with a 5 foot bucket which I prefer. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-21          71873

Bill: Without going into splitting hairs between Green and Orange, or Blue for that matter, I bought my Kubota BX2230 because Kubota makes their own chassis, motor, transmission, etc. The entire machine is one manufacturer. The others do not. This is what put it over the top for me. BTW My job is building Blue (C-NH)components, so I am familiar with them. ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-12-21          71889

"Kubota makes their own chassis,motor,transmission,etc.The entire machine is one manufacturer.The others do not.Thats what put it over the top for me"

Kubota isn't the only manufacturer to build their own machines.
Daedong Kioti also builds the entire machine.(And a fine machine it is !!)
But I fail to see how a manufacturer building the entire machine automatically makes it better !
Example-Yanmar engines are as good as any CUT motors on the market. ....

View my Photos
BigBob

2003-12-22          71901

I really liked the Deere 4110. I may have liked the comfort and color a little more than the B7500. The Kubota was $1500 less and the salesman was a heck of a lot less arogant. You would do well with either machine. (I bought orange) ....

View my Photos
kubotaguy

2003-12-22          71905

I really don't think there is much difference in the quality between the two brands. I think the difference comes in the small intangibles such as dealer, ergonomics, price negotiations, little extras thrown in such as maintenance, etc. The JD dealer I contacted acted as if I was inconviencing him, thus JD was scratched from my prospective list.
Good luck! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-26          72246

I think there is a difference in the quality, look at the initial issue of the 4000 series deere and how tied up the boards were with the tire rutting problems. Look at the fact that about 1/3 of the newer 10 series has had electronic malfucntions? I guess with the problems listed on there newer models ignored or the future costs of these problem areas I guess you might say they have no problems. Personally being a dealer for the years that we have I hate to listen to customers while their equipment is being used as test equipment for a manufacturer and there largest concern is to show a profit for stock holders! A good dealer is worth a lot and that should be a concern. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-26          72281

All man-made products have defects, especially complex products in the first year of production. An important measure of quality in terms of the ownership experience is the willingness of the manufacturer to make right any defects that turn up. JD replaced most of the axles on the first 4000 series machines at no cost to the owners. A few people have mentioned Kubota's denial of warranty claims for seemingly BS reasons. Art denies ever encountering this but there have been threads here and on other boards so there must be some truth to it. ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-26          72296

Echoing what Ken said, it has pretty much been my experience that John Deere has stood behind their products and done so to the customer's satisfaction. You also need to consider that John Deere typically leads the industry with the newest features which it trys to suit to customer demand.

A good place to get an objective view of John Deere products is to go to epinion.com and type in John Deere. Read all of the many models that are reviewed there by John Deere customers, VERY few of which are negative. Try typing in Kubota and you get no Kubota equipment responses. This speaks volumes with respect to customer following and amount of products on the market as compared to John Deere. Both brands are good products but John Deere has been around much longer and in my opinion has by far the better logistics and customer support. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-26          72313

Ken, we have had no problems of unusual denials from Kubota on warrantee requests. All companies deal differently and we have a big difference from the best of the companies to the worst. We go from a company on the low side of the best machine performance built in it's class with manufacturer offering 1 year and I've never known them to pay a claim to paying most all claims except diagnostics. As with all machinery it's how it's built to begin with. Some manufacturers know from years of designing anduilding experience in a perticular area how to assure their customers a quality product the first time it's built. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-27          72364

Chief, sorry but jd is not a leader for to much of anything in any of the fields I sell to. Yes there literature always says "ALL NEW", while it is, but just to them, and there die hard customers that don't look at the competition! Many times it's original variation has been in the field for years proving itself. Sorry but look at the jd110, how many years was Kubota building the B-20-21, L-35-48 version. Now for about five years, according to salesmen we have been waiting for a factory cab like on the Grand L's, wow! There parts system is as good as anybodys. WE have one of there distribution systems within 30 miles of here and we still have customers coming in to try and match up the parts because of 6 month waits! I had a 445 in my shop for three months for parts this spring! We can blow that idea of them being good in that area. Chief, now if we look at all the 4000 series did they replace all the front axles, or just those sold with mowers? I wouldn't want to be an unsuspecting property owner considering one with just a loader on it and hopes to later buy the belly deck!!!!! Chief you don't need to blow their horn, they do it enough or more then I would to walk in those shoes!!! Do there dealers take care of there customers well, for most of them better then the manufacturer does which is almost how it should be! ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-12-27          72368

Hey Art... TOOT TOOT

LMAO ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-27          72374

Billy I was too!!!! Next time I want to know who is doing good in the industry, I'll go to there web site too!!!! I love these boards! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-27          72379

Art, read the below links. Maybe you feel John Deere develops nothing new but MANY organizations OUTSIDE of John Deere think otherwise. With over a 165 years of experience in the business, there are few if ANY other manufacturers who have not merged or been bought out. John Deere is one of the few if not only remaining original agricultural equipment manufacturers. With respect to the 4000 Ten Series tractors, Kubota nor ANY other manufacturer has ANY like ehydro or epower reverser. On board system diagnostics are not a Kubota thing.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/2002/releases/common/020701_4000tenaward.html

John Deere will warranty its engines with a variety of fuels. Kubota only #1 & #2 diesel.

John Deere also place more importance of safety features such as forward and reverse drive pedals.

The ehydro system offers operator cruise control which allows creeper gear type operations such as with tilling. Does Kubota?

This year John Deere won AGAIN the AE50 Award from Resource: Engineering & Technology for a Sustainable World, the monthly membership publication of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers (ASAE)for the 2210. Kubota I did not see in that award.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/newsroom/2003/releases/common/030601_2210award.html

The engines in the John Deere 4000 Ten Seriesare designed to start turn key. Direct injection engine allows quick start down to 0 degrees F with no wait; automatic fuel prime autobleed fuel system allows refuel and restart without fuel system priming.

Kubota is still using outdated glow plugs and indirect injection design.

In fact if you compare heads up you will see that Kubota makes its comparisons with the 4000 Ten Series tractors one class model up instead of heads up. An example would be the L3430 comparison to the 4310 when in fact it the 4410 is the accurate comparison. When you compare these tractors in a valid heads up comparison; they both stack up as VERY good tractors only the Kubota still has the more dated design.

Yes, John Deere had some problems with intial fielding of the 4000 Ten Series and they stepped up to the plate and replaced axles for those who wanted them. They have had some controller glitches which they have worked out. These electronic features Motion Match & Load Match offer customers more operator fine tuning choices that Kubota has not even attempted to offer its customers.

Since you mentioned the 110 TLB which is an industrial class model; John Deere has had its own line of dedicated industrial TLB's for decades. I think the 110 TLB was more a function of Kubota's refusal to listen to its customers who were demanding a TLB that would fill the gap between the L35 & L48 with up to date and current industry design and features. John Deere heard and listened to Kubota's customers and hence the arrival of the 110 TLB. In the industrial line John Deere set the standard for 2003.

http://www.deere.com/en_US/cfd/construction/deere_const/newsroom/top100products03.html

In the industrial class, Kubota does not have anything to compare with the 710-G through 310-G & SG. In fact, overall the only serious competition John Deere has is Caterpillar. Kubota occupies a more narrow slice of the market.

There are other examples of industry leadership in areas such as commercial lawn equipment such as the 7 Iron mowers. The 757, 777, 797 ZTR's that no other manufacturer can compete with for over all performance in areas such as steep slope use.

In the CUT tractor class and below, Kubota makes one heck of a nice line of equipment and is VERY competitive; so does John Deere. Deere makes the most up to date and modernized equipment and leads the industry in this area. In most cases Deere equipment has the highest resale value and customer demand. When you are the tip of the spear, this position entails some considerable risk for some of the sort comings you mentioned like the front axle issue and some of the electronics problems. In the end, Kubota and the other major manufacturers will field the exact same features if they want to continue to be competitive and keep up with Deere.

In the final analysis, NO line of equipment is without its faults or problems and Deere is no exception; either is Kubota.

As I said earlier, both brands are great equipment with a lot of sales being driven by individual customer taste and preference. I certainly would NOT be unhappy with a Kubota L3430 or other equipment. What makes this country such a great place to live is that you can find more choices to pick from than most have time to figure out and compare. Some may not want to pay the prices Deere and Kubota command and may prefer a less expensive line. There is LOTS of good stuff out there to meet that customer demand as well. So I say buy what suits ya and enjoy! With the number of years most will keep them and the amount of hours using them; it would be a poor choice not to.

No Deere horns need blowing as the facts, info., and customer ratings speak for themselves. They are the industry leader. Like Walter Brennen said in the TV series "The Guns of Will Sonnet" when he stated he was the fastest gun in the west.........he always replied "no brag.......just fact". You never know, in the future, maybe John Deere will buy Kubota and combine the best of both.

Just a few more days to 2004 so I wish you all the best for the New Year Art and and everyone on the board. I cannot begin to thank you for the for the huge amount of knowledge I have learned from you and many others here on CTB. I look forward to a new year with good friends on the net and learning even more! I'm thinking that maybe a thread with a betting pool on if and when Art will say something nice about a John Deere would be fun and interesting thread??? ;o) Maybe even a thread for me and when I get over this restless cabin fever stage of my newly retired life would not be a bad idea either!

Enjoy the holidays and family and be safe!

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-27          72384

Yeah?! Well, my Daddy says Dodges eat Chevys and poop Fords! ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-12-27          72385

That is a good one AV8R! LOL!!!! I'm gonna have to remember that one! ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-27          72393

Chief, maybe when it's not deere blowing there own horn I'll see it differently. I know what I see and it's definitly one of the best marketing companies going! Beyond that I don't see out in the field what you are saying! Where are they in the market share that you talk about! By the industry(not jd) they are not the leader in compacts. Sorry just another bad fact printed by JD. You are right as they are both strong companies and they do build good equipment and do there best for there customers. There are a lot of other companies building good equipment that don't exaggerate or taint the truths. People come here for plan old facts and experience! Not something tainted and untrue. When you find that deere does have a superior machine let me know. Chief, I often have to bit my tongue with what I see here for claims as I do run and have run most all models of equipment built in todays market. I sell three major brands of compacts so I do get it from different sources, not the jd website! ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2003-12-27          72396

Just one more opinon. Regardless of what color you buy, THE BIGGEST thing to look for is a good dealer. Regardless of what manufacturer you are dealing with, if the dealer doesn't go to bat for you when you do encounter a problem, you are in trouble. As far as the green vs. orange debate, our dealer sells both, so I see pros and cons for each one. Overall I think deere is superior in the parts availability dept. and parts prices. If you compare commonly used parts prices, Deere is cheaper in most cases, so over the life of the machine, costs will be less. In 95% of cases, parts can be had the next day, while the orange parts commonly take a week to 10 days for parts we don't stock. Maybe that is just a fluke of our location, but that has been my experience. I also think resale is better on the green machine. On the plus side for Kubota is their cabs. If you want a cab on a compact, Orange is the only way to go. Overall, personal preference as far as comfort and convenience of controls should also play a big role in what color you choose. If everyone is honest , they have to admit that all brands have good and bad points, and good and bad dealers. If everyone does their homework before buying and gets a good dealer and the right size machine for the job, it goes a long way toward a satisfying purchase. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-27          72398

This Orange v. Green v. Blue "which is best" stuff is a bunch of crap.

When tractor shopping I didn't go to the Kubota dealer to find info on JD products, nor did I go to JD to get Kubota info. The best way to get tainted truth about any product is to ask a salesman. It would also be incredibly naive to believe anything about JD published on Kubota's web site, or vice versa. Kubota's website not only compares mis-matched tractors, but they publish incorrect specs for competitors products (for example, they derate the JD 4410 by a couple of HP in their comparison tables). JD also compares mis-matched tractors and may misrepresent the competitors specs as well - I don't know. Maybe they should be suing each other.

In any case, the best source of info about products is from published manufacturer spec sheets and owners. When a dealer criticizes a competitive brand the best thing to do is ask owners if the criticism is valid.

Here's an example. A kubota dealer here said that Kubota hydro CUTs could accelerate from idle in high range without any trouble, and JDs wouldn't do that. Hmm. I went out and tried it on my 4310 and it worked just fine. It was apparent that the dealer either was generalizing, or had never tried it, or was being misleading.

Kubota and JD and NH all sell good, reliable tractors and the best advice is to drive them, compare specs, and find a dealer you can work with and trust, and don't take any manufacturers or dealers word about competitive products as gospel truth. ....

View my Photos
AV8R

2003-12-27          72403

My post was a tongue-in-cheek remark meaning that this string was begining to sound like a Jeff Foxworthy comedy routine! There are as many reasons for making your decision as there are choices. Everyone has their own priorities and requirements. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-27          72433

You are right about it being out of hand. Ken I agree with you on the spec's of the equipment as I'm often into the NH or Case books or to the Cadet comparisons for information. The 10 series of Deere was the first competitive make tractor model to be able to take off from an idle in high range like the Kubota's. I do believe unless some other companies switched it is the only other one at this time to be able to. I have not checked to see if it does it on the different styles and you might have tried it by this time and could answer that. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2003-12-28          72504

We all buy based on emotions then use logic to justify our emotional decisions. Sales 101.

JD is best at marketing I have to agree. Zetor offers a lot in a tractor cost/performance wise. In many countries they are not orange with the name of Zetor but green and yellow and say John Deere. The post that stated he could find equal JD’s that were slightly uses for less money than in a NH or Kubota speaks volumes. The price of slightly used cars, trucks and tractors reflects the profit margins for the factory/dealership for the most part. Why, because they will not pay more for a trade-in than they could go and replace it with another new one. Personally I run from higher margins when buying new if products are within a hair of each one.

JD benefits from the American Icon image even if it states Made in Japan on a small tag somewhere. I know farmers that spend $100K+ on equipment each year that will only buy the green line. If looking for a mower, compact, etc they only look at what JD has period. This is why JD can extract more $$ then the rest. That is because they have the best marketing skills. They are more resellers than manufacturing when compared to some other companies. The Zetors they sell in many countries are identical except for what paint line Zetor sends them down.

I agree JD is a very good tractor but an even better marketing company. More JD’s are sold based on color than another tractor on the market. One reason is they have stayed with the same color. Ford left red and gray in 1963 for some reason then about 10 years ago sold to a top of the line hay-baling firm. Cases are now red. Like autos today, there is no All American tractors it seems

View my Photos
wbowhunt

2003-12-28          72519

Riddle me this, I noticed in my Tractor hunting Journey's 2 things ( Well actually alot more, But for this thread just 2 )
1. When I went to look at a Kubota or NH or even a Gray, the dealers always carried more then one line of new tractors, But when I stopped at a JD dealer. You had JD and JD Only ( New ) . Is it that the profit margin on JD is so much Higher? Or just that the dealers sell so many more that they can offer just the JD Brand?

2. I know I probably will not get a straight answer to this, but here goes..... Do Dealers who sell kubota get some kind of bonus for sales? Or a bigger profit margin for sales?

The reason I ask is any dealer I went to that carried Kubota, regardless of the other lines they also carried, all pushed hard for me get a kubota ( Mainly the 7800 for my needs)and when I inquired about a similar CUT from say NH or Kioti they just didn't seem to want to talk about it, or if they did it was like a kid opening his christmas present thinking it was a new video game and came to find out Mom got him a pack of Underwear.
You would think a sale is a sale, and that if the dealer is trying to sell you the best most reliable tractor ( in their opinion ) and you opt for the other, The dealer is still going to make money on warranty and repairs later down the line.
Thoughts?

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-12-28          72528

During the great debate some footnotes relating to warranty issues on the JD 4000 series came up a few times. Is there a info site as to what they were for and which models?

just curious

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-29          72562

The initial run of the 4000 series had problems with turf work as the tires were digging up the the turf in tight corners. They came out with a different front axle for those who purchased there tractors with a belly mower. The others to the best of my knowledge of the original builds were not addressed. Harvey I know has the old model and he might be able to tell us more as to where they are with it as I know he loves his jd equipment! ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-12-29          72606

Yes I like green but I like my old Farmall M. But I'm ah thinking that Kobota "Lexus" might be to my likin cause I'm getting to be a big sissy. A/C, CD deck, and the rest sound real nice.

JD would replace "MY DEALER" the axle if you whined about your turf no matter what kind of tires or attachments.

Mine a 4400 syncro shift went in 3 times for PIP's and a 4th for 48 BH.

The pip's were the axle, a bushing in the transmission, and a 3ph valve thingy (Still not sure what the fix was).

Some people that used them off lawn only had no issue with the steering geometry.

I am not sure what the current procedures are you would have to take the S/N to a dealer and ask. ....

View my Photos
OHIOFARMER

2003-12-29          72636

Can not say anything bad about Deere, but I CAN say plenty of good about Kubota. I have never had any problems with either of my compacts. Everything seems to be built tougher
than it needs to be. I have been looking at a Grand L with
cab. I really have no reason to look further than my Kubota dealer. (Little bit prejudice?) Maybe.. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-30          72682

OHIO, that's not prejudice it's common sense. Go with what works for you. I think most people are loyal to brands and dealers that have treated them well, but loyalty to one brand implies nothing about another. I was loyal to Ford until I got two bad ones in a row so my next vehicle will be something else. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-30          72686

"Someone tell me why I should pay more for the same size JD than a Kubota."

Wildbill, this is a question with a built in answer.

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-30          72688

Somebody tell me why I should pay more for the same size Toyota than a Hyundai.

There are differences between brands that are not reflected simply by size. I am NOT saying that JD is necessarily better than Kubota, just that comparing only by size and price is not a wise way to make a purchase decision. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-12-30          72689

Ken is right, someone has to look at all things that need to be considered. Dealers can make a bigger difference in the ownership experience often more then the brand. If you can't get what you need when you need it to fix or repair or even to find the information that you need to make a good decision then youcould be in trouble. Some manufacturers are better out of the box and others might have some problems but have good support. Resale is more of who is in the area. I see people paying nearly as much or more for non big name company and there has to be a real good relationship with dealers. ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-30          72698

OK, assuming the quality of JD is the same as Kubota for a similar tractor why should you spend more for the JD? I sure found JD prices to be more expensive and the JD people I talked to had a pretty superior attitude. The same with New Holland. The local NH dealer wanted as much for a tractor alone as I paid for my Kubota WITH their best loader and valving.

So price was a big consideration for me. That and the fact that my brother in law has a 4310... :-) ....

View my Photos
wildbill

2003-12-30          72736

I had no idea that the question I raised regarding JD quality vs Kubota quality would have sparked such a response. Thanks to all you guys for your comments on this issue. This is so much better than relying on salesmen or brochures for tractor info. I have switched bac and forth between the two as least 4 times now and still no decision. There are things I like about the JD such as Hydraulics and control posistioning, choice of multiple tire sizes and tread width that aren't available with the Kubota. JD cost more. I like the eHydro and control features. I like the Kubota 3 pt lift better. Kubota has all metal hood. Kubota is a bigger tractor given the same HP rating and weighs about 300 more pounds than the JD. For my use the JD is a more compact tractor than the Kubota. I also understand that the JD is a stronger tractor overall. Comparison is for JD 4410 vs Kubota 3430.
Maybe I need to buy both!! In my dreams. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-12-30          72739

wildbill, you could do the next best thing! You could rent each one for a day or weekend and see for yourself which one you like best. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-30          72744

Shortmagnum, it sounds like your choice was made for you by the dealers you spoke to (and your brother-in-law). To answer your question, I paid more for my JD than a comparable Kubota for several reasons - better and closer dealer, JD had options I couldn't get on the Kubota, JD seems to have better resale value than Kubota around here, I like a direct injection engine, I thought the finish on the plastic body panels would hold up better when crashing through brush, and the JD ergonomics just seemed to fit me better. ....

View my Photos
mowhoward

2003-12-31          72759

I bought a JD 2210 for the exact same reasons kwschumm stated. I plan on keeping this unit for a long time, so ergomomics was a big factor. You might as well be comfortable on the equipment you are going to spend a lot of time on. Plus I liked the looks better! ....

View my Photos
shortmagnum

2003-12-31          72776

"We all buy based on emotions then use logic to justify our emotional decisions. Sales 101."

I really think Gale had it right with this line on an earlier post to this thread. My brother in law and the desire to have ANYTHING different than he had was probably the real deciding factor in my purchase. ....

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2003-12-31          72795

What do you call the attachment for handling logs. I have not seen that, only the bucket and standard looking fork lift type forks. It looks like a real handy attachment. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-31          72800

Gale, if you're talking to me it's a grapple. It's great for picking up logs and slash, but there's only so large a log you can pick up - it's only a CUT after all. I can't carry a three foot thick log but all the stuff on our land is 12" or smaller. The grapple I have is a "Bodozer" brand, and you can check them out at the link below. They are built like a tank. ....

Link:   Bodozer grapple

View my Photos
GaleHawkins

2003-12-31          72805

Sorry about that kwschumm. Actually it was Shortmagnum's FEL that I was looking at but I am gald you replied because your set up is very interesting as well and would be great for brush handling. Take a look at his first photo because it looks very different. I saw a trackhoe tear down a house recently and he had something to pick up and crush the lumber that was impressive.

How did you turn your tractor over? Did you or it get hurt? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-12-31          72807

Yes, his grapple looks like it would be good at log handling and is probably lighter than mine as well. Mine would be better at brush I think.

The short story of my rollover is that the ground under the left side of the tractor gave way. I wouldn't have been in that position if the R4s hadn't completely plugged with clay and lost traction though. No harm done, to me OR the tractor. Not even a scratch. As it turned over the loader arms contacted a tree which was slowly pushed over, cushioning the tractor as it went over. I have since replaced the R4s with R1s which should be much better in our soft clay. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login