Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deere 4200-4300-4400 comparison with 755-855-955

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-21          7161

I have 100 hours on my JD 4300 and like the tractor. However, there have been a few problems with this new series of tractors and there are some features on the older 55 series tractors that in my opinion should have been included on the new tractors. I put over a 1000 hours on two 855s and one 955. There were impressive tractors. I would like to engage some discussion on this board from 4000 owners who previously owned a 755,855 or 955. I would like your thoughts on where Deere scored points and where you think they made mistakes.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike

1999-08-21          7168

I also owned a 955 and agree that there were some changes in my 4400 that Deere should not have made. I'll add to this thread later since my wife is pulling me away from the computer again--BUT I HATE the sway bars on the arms of the three point--I really liked the sway chains on the 955 with the giant turnbuckles. With the sway bars, I can never seem to find a combination of pin holes that will allow me to tighten them as I would like AND I cannot get my bifocals down there to see what I am doing anyway. Although we do not purchase tractors for dashes, I do appreciate the nicer dash on the 4xxx series.Mike ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

1999-08-21          7172

The new 4000 series have much better hydraulic performance over the 55 series tractors. However, I liked the controls better on the 55 series. With the optional mid rockshaft cylinder you could use the DSCV lever to lift the mower. The lever used on the 4000 tractors (3rd. control valve) is located on the fender and is clumsy in comparison. The MFWD control is located just to the left of the seat and is much more convenient on the 55 series than the located near the foot rests on the 4000. The most disappointing feature for me is the method for changing the mower heighth. On the 55 series you can adjust the mower heighth from the tractor. On the 4000 you have get on and off the tractor. I like the tighter turning radius on the new tractors but the scuffing of turf is a real problem. The new tractors turn much tighter but realistically you can't turn any shorter when mowing. If you do, expect to damage the turf. The location of the tail/warning lights on the ROPS is wrong. They stick out and are easily damaged. The 55 series lights on the rear fenders were better. I like the tilt steering wheel on the new tractors and the new seat and suspension is an improvement. I like the three range hydro. I like the much faster transport speed (15 mph vs. 11) I think Deere needs to work on the spring pressure on the hydro pedals. They are much too stiff in comparison to the 55s. I like the new tractors. Deere should have asked for more input from the owners of the 55 series tractors when designing the new tractors. The new tractors are in demand which would suggest Deere knows their business. I just wish that we wouldn't have lost any of the good features from the older tractors. ....

View my Photos
Steve in CT

1999-08-21          7176

I've had my 4400 HST since last December - it currently has about 120 hours on it. Mostly used for mowing and light loader work. Prior to that I owned an 855. In general, I think your comments and observations are right on the money. I would add a couple of other (mostly minor) items: 1) the seat on the 4000's offers more adjustments - I prefer it to the seat on my 855 (you mentioned the seat also...), 2) the retractable seatbelt is a better setup than the seatbelts on the 855, 3) the folding ROPS is great for those of us with limited garage door clearance, 4) I prefer the 4000's headlight arrangement (front of tractor vs. mounted in rear fenders on the 855), 5) some of the control levers are flimsy (need to use more/thicker steel) on the 4000 and the plastic knobs have a tendency to come off if you're not careful, 6) the 855 included a cover for the rear PTO shaft, the 4000's don't, 7) on the 855, you could engage the mid-PTO, the rear-PTO, or both; on the 4000's you cannot engage the mid-PTO independently of the rear-PTO, and 8) the control panel tends to "fog up" from time-to-time (the instruments work fine - the fogging just makes it difficult to see them sometimes) - I'm on my third panel - all have exhibited this same problem. Other than the control panel fogging problem, the only other problem experienced was a slight hydraulic fluid leak toward the rear of the tractor that was promptly fixed by the dealer. I've noticed the tire scuffing mentioned on this and other posts - just have to take it easy when turning. Overall, I've been very happy with my 4400 thus far. ....

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-08-21          7183

I am a previous 855 owner, had it for twelve years.. other than hours it was still in great shape when I traded it. I now have a 4200 HST.. Here is my comparison of the Two models. Loader is by far superior on 4200, better built, easy on & off. Better Hydraulics. Better Lever. Seat is superior, huge improvement over 855, including the retractable seatbelts. Headlights are superior. Engine is superior (very quiet at low idles) Tilt Steering is Superior. Dashboard is superior. Parking brake is better. Fuse box is better. Sloped Hood is better.Hood is better for opening. Permanent grill guard is better. Size of physical machine is better. Cruise Control is better. Lift Capacities is better for both Loader & 3pt hitch. Now this is where the 855 gets the favorable edge on design.. MFWD Lever was more convenient. Single Lever was far better than that flimsy thing to operate the Mower with. PTO Lever was more convenient on Dashboard. PTO Selector was far better on the 55 series. Not only was the lever better, but you could choose all three funtions on the 55 series. Mid, Rear, Mid & Rear. Why they changed that I have no clue? I really do hate that flimsy Mower lever on my new tractor.. it is very cheap.. Rear Pto guard came with my 855. Should have made a heavier duty directional lever on 4200. I had my Uncle weld together some very nice "Light Guards" for my Hazzard Lights. They look like John Deer made em... They are very nice!! Look like they came from the factory that way... Also had Hooks welded on my 6ft loader bucket.. they came out great too.. both the hooks and guards were painted with John Deere paint... so it is a perfect match!.. by the way.. the Loader bucket alone is a huge improvement over the 55 series loaders.. I am so happy with the New loaders.. no complaints from me there.. by far the best loader on any tractor of comparison..thanks Jason ....

View my Photos
turfman

1999-08-22          7187

I owned a 755, traded for a 955 that i still own, and also own a 4400. This is a very nice tractor, but as my dad says,"Why the hell did they change the good things, they almost had another 8N in that 955!" Your comments are all true. My biggest complaint on these is that they should have left the mower adjustment; the mid,rear, mid-rear, pto engagement; and the mfwd; right where they had them. I went to a national convention last Nov. and met one of the design engineers on these tracs. I brought up these three issues to him. He said that focus groups said that the 3 way pto issue was unimportant given the added cost. The Mower adjustment was a diappointment and that it may be redesigned. The mfwd was not even an issue as far as they were concerned. I would like to know who was in the focus groups, people that ride garden tractors? I like the power, the bucket, and even the mid-lift arrangement. The midlift on the fender is nice if you leave the mower on as stablilizing weight when working the loader on any kind of a side incline. The extra weight under the unit adds to the stability and you don't have to worry about the mower deck going up and down. I used to lock the deck up withthe height adjustment but I just like this one better. It is also nice if you use any kind of rear hydralic attachments. Just one other thing, the sway bars are nicer if you get a quick attach thing like the Freedom Hitch. I have this and think it is the greatest if you do a lot of changing the rear implements. This was a good issue to bring up thanks Terry!! ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

1999-08-23          7251

I am agreement with others that have posted on this thread about the positives of the 4200+ over that of the 855/955 series AND would also include the greater torque at low RPMs as a plus for the 4200+ series.I am also in agreement with others regarding the positives of the 855/955 series over the 4200+ series AND would also include: my 955's rear 3 point lift was much quicker than that of my 4400, even though the 4400 has higher pump capacity; it was possible to shift into 4wd on the go with the 955 and cannot be done on the 4400; the plastic knob on the 3rd scv lever of the 4400 pulls off every time it is utilized whereas it should have been a threaded rod...; the 955's belly mower deck raised up a lot higher than does the belly mower deck on a 4400; also, the safety switch beneath the seat needs a longer throw on the 4400 since driving the tractor over rough terrain causes the seat to move up so that my butt is lifted slightly in the air which activates the safety switch causing the engine to briefly cut out until my butt is again back in the seat--this did not occur on the 955; and again, I wish to point out that I don't like the sway bars on the lower arms of the 4400's 3 point, and prefer the sway chains of the 955. The rest of what I would add has already been stated by others. We have to remember that in order to keep the prices of the 4200+ series very similar to those of the equivalent 855/955 tractors, JD probably had to cut a few corners since the 4200+ line includes tractors with significantly greater weight and greater torque, better dash, stronger front lights, better seat suspension, larger tires, one more axle range, greater hydraulic capacity, greater lift capacities, (and a cup holder:) etc. IMHO, the 4200+ line of JD compact diesels represent better values than the 855/955 series (and yes, I did very much like my 955). Of course, I will reserve my final judgement for after ten years of use and see IF my JD4400 can come close to my old Kubota 8200HST which, in ten years, had a total repair bill of $9.95 for a tachometer cable.Mike S. ....

View my Photos
stu mackiernan

1999-08-26          7344

Isn't the real difference that the '55 series was designed and built in the US and the 4000 series is designed and built in Japan? ....

View my Photos
Larry

1999-08-26          7353

The 4100 is the first compact tractor that I have owned. I don't understand some of the comments on this link. Maybe there are some differences in the 4100 controls and the 4200 and larger controls. The 4100 can select either the mid, rear, or mid & rear pto's. The mower deck height adjustment is easily accomplished by setting the stop bolt adjustment on the mid pto lever without getting off the tractor ( I agree that it is a flimsey lever). The MFWD lever is easy to engage with my left foot as is the differential lock. Based on the h.p. ratings I think the 4100 is better compared to the 755 than the 4200. ....

View my Photos
Joe

1999-08-26          7354

No ... The 4000 series,....with the exception of the 4100 are built in the United States, Georgia ....

View my Photos
henry

1999-09-01          7551

Sorry, but aren't the 4000 series a yanmar that is shipped to the US in pieces, and then assmbled here with the addition of some US made sheetmetal?They can call it ASSEMBLED in the USA, and get past trade tariffs/taxes by sending a unassembled product.Toyota does it with the Tacoma... Made in the USA, ya right! Send a bunch of subassemblies in, get past US taxes and Tariffs, employ a couple Americans, and call it Made in USA, gosh darn it!I like John Deere, my next tractor will be one. But, thier made in USA stuff is a real crock. ....

View my Photos
Jeff Kraft

1999-10-04          8521

Your information on the 4000 series is in correct with the exception of the 4100 which is shipped to Augusta Ga mainly assemblied and completed there. However the 4200-4700 (Yes there is now a 4700) is designed by deere and made by deere in Augusta however uses a Yanmar engine. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login