Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Jack O'Donnell
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-08-16          6960

Can someone help ?? I am considering trading in my JD 950 for either a JD 4600 or a Kabota 4300 with hydro.I was very dissappointed in the quality of the JD 4000 series. The prices are comparable. I have never had a Kabota but they appear to be better built than the JD. Which of the two is a better all around tractor ???Thanks,JMO'D

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Phil (Ct.)

1999-08-16          6965

The 4600 has too many advantages over the Kubota to list , capacties,final drive actually making power to the ground ect. Theonly advantage Kubota DOES have is really ....AVAILABILTY.... John Deere CANNOT ......right now,.... match that ! Especiallyon their Hydro'sPhil ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-16          6967

Phil:Please go ahead and list those specific "advantages" JD has over Kubota. I own a Kubota and didn't realize I was missing out. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
tractorman

1999-08-16          6968

I guess the main advantage of the John Deere is that the loader frame is lightweight and does not connect the front, middle and rear of the tractor. This causes the owner/operator much pleasure every time the bolts loosen up or break. It's a funny thing that Kubota is the only company building a decent loader & frame these days. Also, for those of you considering a ford, We see the same bucket loaders on newer 20 series tractors that were put on 1710's and 1910's. Most of which have been broken in half several times by know. Not trying to be a wise ass or a know it all but I am in the tractor buisness ( I do not own a kubota franchise either ) and have experience with all brands. The Kubota is a superior tractor.............PERIOD ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Ted

1999-08-16          6970

For what the benefit of experience is worth..... I operate a commercial landscaping business in which we use a small fleet of compact's (presently 6 of them), and they operate 12 months a year. I have tried every make out there over the years, and even operate a few customers equipment for them. Without a doubt, there is no beating a Kubota, period. Some features on other machines may seem more convenient, some spec.'s may look more impressive, BUT, after at least 25 machines, over 15 years, and probably 125,000+ hours in total, I wouldn't hesitate to recomend or buy another Kubota. I know I will be flooded with comments over this but, its like trucks, they all work, what works for YOU is whats important. I have only had ONE breakdown in all that time, an injector pump. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-08-17          7007

I'm not trying to be spelling critical tractorman, but your first two sentences are either sarcastic or wording improperly. OH, and thanks for your one sided opinions and lack of perspective for what might be important to some of us. I won't disagree with you about a higher loader strengh and other facts and figures you can toss out. But not everyone has a need to push equipment to the breaking point, and require that last few lbs of breaking force on the loader to keep things together. Or use it everyday like a landscaper would. First of all, the ability to change implements easily, probably isn't a landscapers highest priority. The mower gets used every day on one unit, and the loader is probably on another. (Based upon local Landscapers). But what about the guy who mows in the morning and needs the loader in the afternoon? Lets me tell you my experience with Kubota..... Even when you remove the so called "quick Disconnect" Kubota loader, half of it is still mounted on the tractor and in the way of engine access. Not to mention the extra few hundred lbs you are toting around on your lawn. The two seperate, loader mounted hydraulic "lever" design was outdated years ago. Labels for indications and marking things also invented years ago. Based upon my need to ask the dealer what unmarked levers & switches performed. The turning radius of 4WD's significantly reduced years ago. I guess Kubota still rely's on the old multiple K turn method for the guy who wants to mow around a tree. And I have only heard Kubota owners post the CTB how to install/remove a belly mower, something that should be in a manual at a minimum. The Hydro pedals constantly caught my foot. Guys complain about the jerking effect created when driving over rough terrain, due to the vertical pressure hydro pedal. The back-up lights on my truck are more powerful than the B's headlights. And the absolute best!!! Who ever heard of putting the independent brakes on the same side as the hydro controls? And you can have all this for more money than any other make, from a dealer with the "Holier than thou" attitude to boot!! My point in telling you this, is to be careful when shouting your opinions about what is BEST. Different things are important to different people. I do agree that Kubota is ONE of the best tractors made, and maybe other makes/models have things less bulletproof than Kubota. But don't think what I mentioned above is any less important to some. Kubota is far from perfect in some areas, they are also in need of walking a path, already made by others.....PERIOD! ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Chris

1999-08-17          7011

Oh no, Lee Forsomething, KubotaMan, TractorMan, PlowMan is back!!!! And guess what, he still has orange underwear... ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
ben

1999-08-17          7021

Kubota is an excellent tractor. However, just hope you dont need parts or service work. Parts prices are extremely high and its hard to obtain service from my local dealer. Deere's are also excellent tractors, but at least I can depend on service after the sale with them (i.e. parts products, service work, etc) ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
rob

1999-08-18          7067

Let me see if I got this right: You are very disappointed in the quality of the JD 4000 series and consider the Kabota better built. They cost about the same and you are still confused as to which one to buy?? I think you answered your own question. It would have to be one HECK of a post to get me to change my mind and spend my 25K on a product that I was disappointed in. For what it's worth, I looked at both and thought they were fantastic tractors. Went green because of superior dealer, higher resale, great financing, easy parts availability, higher published specifications and that general glow that comes with owning something with an American heritage. I don't think you will be disappointed with either one. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-18          7072

Where can I look to see which has the higher resale - JD or Kubota? ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
rob

1999-08-19          7076

I checked with three different dealers and also looked in the local papers. In the part of the country I live (New England), the JD brings more. Kubota isn't exactly a household name around here. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Alan L.

1999-08-19          7079

JD also costs more. Do you mean as a percentage of original street price? Down here the Kubota dealers say they have better resale, while the JD dealer says they have better resale. With cars, there are studies you can look at, but have never seen one for tractors. Could be a regional thing. Not that it matters since I already have a Kubota. I was just interested on whether there were some studies on the subject. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Ben

1999-08-19          7105

Rob: you summed up in one paragraph, why John Deere is the superior choice. If potential tractor buyers on here are having a tough time deciding between Fiat-NH, Kubota, and Deere, Rob stated several points that many of us tend to forget about until we actually buy a tractor. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Ben

1999-08-19          7106

Rob: you summed up in one paragraph, why John Deere is the superior choice. If potential tractor buyers on here are having a tough time deciding between Fiat-NH, Kubota, and Deere, Rob stated several points that many of us tend to forget about until we actually buy a tractor. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
mario

1999-09-16          8044

Hi RobI am in New England also but not seing what you are describing. Both JD's and Kubo's are reselling for way too much. Most are sold before they hit the lot. The JD dealers near me I would not deal with even if they were better machines.The JD's suffer from the US management / marketing push, which put there reputations at risk by sending machines to market prior to working out the quality / supply problems. As as for the marketing hype on the JD's, claiming better than actual specs, and parts availability/ service you assume to be better are un founded. I checked both out in geart detail and would not spend a cent more for the green machine. In fact, green is the right color for them. They have a whole lot to work out before they can even be compared to the KUBO's. I wish you luck with your machine and hope you have none of the problem we have heard about.mario ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Jason MacKenzie

1999-09-16          8054

Mario,What makes you think Kubota doesn't have engineering flaws? They have plenty! It is just the new 4000 series are new machines, and you are hearing about the different JD issues all at once. Don't think they the Kubotas don't have flaws, they have one huge flaw with me (as other already know who frequent this sight) and that is They don't have their Hydro pedals/Turn brakes set up right. I don't fall for any of these lame bullsh** excuses on using cruise control either to use your turn brakes! That is an un-excusable flaw! period! Some people would go as far as to say they use a stick to push on the turn brake while using hydro and that works for them! The other thing I don't like about the Kubota is the fact that loader lever is attached to the Loader frame. Bottom line is this, spend the extra cent you are whining about and get a machine that is hands down better than the Kubota. And yes JD has had problems with supply and demand, do you think that is because they make a bad machine? Nope, of course not, THEY ARE HOT ITEMS AND THEY ARE IN HEAVY DEMAND! Worth the extra wait, and worth the extra cent you are pinching.. ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
mario

1999-09-17          8059

Hi JasonI never said that Kubo does not have design flaws. And yes the JD's do have very good operator controls. I dont however go for the maketing hype. Releasing product before it's ready and having all there customers field test it. It's just another import with an american name. What do you think the profit margin is on it. Not what the dealer makes, but what the marketing company makes.After all they want to maximize share holder value.mario ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Steve in CT

1999-09-17          8066

Show me any publicly traded company that doesn't want to maximize shareholder value and I'll show you a company that won't be in business for very long! Do you own any stocks? If so, are you saying you don't want the company to maximize [your] shareholder value? Why would anyone invest in that company? Deere certainly doesn't have a monopoly on marketing hype or trying to maximize shareholder value. Let's get real... ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
mario

1999-09-17          8068

Yes Steve Let's get real. I invest in companies that stand for quality and drop ones who pull bone head moves like putting out untested product. Long term profits are much more important than short term profit from a bull campain.I be in the minority but I stand by that. Over twenty years in the quality field will show you time and time again that there is no sustitute for demonstrated quality and reliability. If JD's new management is willing to to crap all over an excelent reputation, I would drop there stock as well as there products like a bad habit.mario ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Dwight M.

1999-09-17          8069

I just bought a JD 4600 MFWD tractor. The tractor, 460 loader, and JD 6' bush hog was only $2500 more than the Kubota dealer wanted for the 4310 alone. I got a heavier tractor, better hydraulics (JD backhoes operate off the tractor hydraulics, while Kubotas must use the tractor PTO to operate the backhoe), more fuel capacity, and wet disk clutch for my money. Also, the thing is green...I can see me pumping my duck impoundment with a blaze orange tractor! ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Steve in CT

1999-09-17          8071

I couldn't have said it better myself - [fortunately] you're in the minority... You've got it all figured out and the millions of other investors in publicly traded companies don't really understand about shareholder value and EPS. I guess the thousands of Deere customers who are willing to pay $20K for a tractor and wait weeks/months to take delivery have all been hoodwinked into buying a poor quality product. Yes Mario, unlike you I'm the real deal - I actually own a 4000 series tractor (do you???). Is it perfect - no. Have I had problems - yes. Am I happy with the tractor - yes. Would I recommend a 4000 series to someone else - absolutely. Do I knock other tractor owners just because they don't drive the same color tractor I do - no. You wouldn't by chance be related to Kubota Man would you? Get a life... :-)) ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
turfman

1999-09-17          8076

just a quick comment. this is not an import with an american name. it has a imported engine and some of the parts but it is manufactured in Georgia. This is a hoot. I really wonder who in the world would put out a tractor that is bad on purpose. John Deere is a good company that has many people that I know that work there. I don't know anybody that works for Kubota(other than the dealer), do you? All the people I know that work there actually care about the product and are genuinly concerned about any defects. Oh well, just something to get the blood going for the weekend!!!! ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Rob

1999-09-17          8079

I have a 4600 MFWD w/loader and backhoe...paid a cool 30k and it runs perfect. Not sure what you mean by marketing hype and JDs suffering from US management and marketing push....looked at the kubotas, nice machine but seemed like a toy compared to the big boy 4600 IMHO. Local Kubota dealer here in Maine has about twenty compacts sitting on his lot. JD dealer is backordered about six months...go figure ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
farmerRon

2002-02-23          35822

I've was raised on the same 1200 acre farm that I am currently managing and farming here in Indiana. We currently have 1 kabota and 3 JD's all bought within the last 3 years. My latest purchase was a JD 4200 for smaller jobs around the house, and I've got to say, JD is far more superior than Kabota. Implements are far easier to attach, performance is second to none, and when it comes to working on them.......even a novice mechanic would have no trouble doing a medium duty job on one. The Kabota we have is also smaller, but every member of my family and every friend that helps out around the farm, prefer the green over the orange. I UNDERSTAND THAT OPINIONS VARY, BUT THIS FAMILY PREFERS THE GREEN!! ....

JD 4600 vs Kabota 4310

View my Photos
Deere vs Kubota

2002-02-24          35839

Both are good units but consider this

The Deere will always have a higher resale value

Its a US based company-its as american as apple pie-I know we use yanmar engines.

Parts are always easy to get on a Deere as is service-my fiends bought new holland and kubotas and have been waiting for two months on parts

The price difference is really not significate, I priced a Deere 4310 and a New Holland and Kubota. In my case the New Holland and kubota were more expensive by over 1500.00 on a fully loaded unit

The Deere is the most user friendly and has the best features important to the end user-try the quick disconnects on others and then the deere. Then try the basic operation, the pedals and controls on the others are cumbersome

Go green, its the best always has been and always will be ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login