Go Bottom Go Bottom

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Wildman1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-05          68025

I finally got my Curtis soft sided cab for my 2210. Pricey for sure..but absolutely solid. It took me 4 hours to install minus hooking up the wires for the windshield wiper.

Rather than spend the extra $300 for the "tuck-a-way" heater I installed a 800w 110v car interior heater overhead and built a mount for my Honda 1000w genset on the ballast box. I drove around in 20f temps for awhile and it kept things toasty warm.

The nice thing about the soft side is that you can upgrade later to the hard side (why??) and in the summer, slide off the "Jeep" style doors and rear curtain and essentially have a canopy + windshield/wiper.

The doors are super wide and access is as easy as with no cab installed...but you have extra spots to mount things on..like tool carriers, drink holders..etc. It also has mounting flanges for adding the optional heater.

In Alaska...this is a major improvement...in Minnesota, Michigan..etc...a major major improvement!! (warmer up here)

PS: last winter I snowblowed 3 times. Give me a break!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-11-05          68027

Good job Wildman! You did your first at flat rate for installation! ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-05          68046

That sounds mighty comfy. Would you mind me asking how much it all cost? Some pictures would be cool if you get time. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-11-06          68108

Pics are posted. I moved the rear work lights to the front under the lip of the roof. I added a single work light to the rear. The overhead 800w heater does more than expected. ...it gets really warm inside!

Lighting is rather superb. It's like daylight now with all the lights on.

The pics don't show the new light arrangment. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-11-06          68109

The total cost with shipping was $1800. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
2flints

2003-11-06          68115

Hi,

I am posting two pictures of my 4310 with Soft-Sided Curtis Cab. Hope it may be of interest to someone...owners of 4310s.

2 flints ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Art White

2003-11-06          68117

Wildman I tried one of those electric heaters once for a customer bu the was quick to have me yank it out. Maybe when the temps get a little lower you wuold appreciate the water heater. I did not have the generator to use to assist the battery. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Murf

2003-11-06          68126

Wildman, two points you may wish to consider before winter hits.

First, if you are going to keep windows clear on any cab, you need either lots of heat, or the drying effect of a a/C comprressor, so I'm not sure you're going to get much benefit from that electric heater, they just can't produce the BTU's required to keep up with the lack of insulation on a soft (drafty) cab.

Second, there is a huge benefit from putting an ordinary 12V. fan in the cab to blow air across the windshield since condensation cannot form in the presence of moving air, in the old days trucks had notoriously poor heaters but a couple fo fans blowing across the window kept them clear. Our family used to contract to the County for snowplowing, and I can recall hearing of our drivers taking coal oil lamps out with them, they used them as heaters and they sat in brackets on the floor next to them.

Best of luck. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-06          68128

Wildman, that looks like a nice comfy setup! Very clean looking and the color matches. I can't speak to the heat and condensation issues since I have no experience with those. Thanks for the pics. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-06          68129

2flints, your picture link doesn't work. I'd like to see your cab since I have a 4310 too. If you're a premium member you can upload the picture to your profile and not mess with links. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
2flints

2003-11-06          68139

Hi,

I finally was able to post my photos of my 4310 with Curtis Cab...Just two photos...if you have any questions about the cab...let me know.

2 flints ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-06          68140

2flints, that looks pretty nice! Did you install it yourself? If so, how difficult was it? How well does it seal around the doors and bodywork? I'm curious how dry it would stay in a good winter rainstorm (although obviously it's a lot better than NO cab!) Also, is it designed to be permanently mounted or can it be removed easily? ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-11-06          68144

I tried the heater again last night when it was 25f. Without it running the windshield slowly fogged up. With it running no fog and it got up to 75f inside. It blows down the windshield directly so I think there should never be a problem. In any event, there's always the "tuck-away" solution.

BTW, the little Honda genset runs 6 hrs on 1/2gal of fuel. ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-11-06          68145

Kwschumm, 2flints's cab installs like mine and it would be a major dis-assembly to remove more than the doors and rear curtain. But, as I mentioned earlier, taking the doors/curtain off leaves you with a canopy/windshield. That way you can mow your lawn in the rain :) ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
2flints

2003-11-06          68146

Kwschumm,

My dealer installed it as it was part of the entire purchase price to include a snowblower, and 430 loader.

It has the upper work lights, rear work light and dome light, and also has the Curtis heater, with cooling fan and wipers. The (soft) doors and (soft) rear window panel can be removed very easily and can also be replaced by solid glass units.

It seems to have a very tight fit all-around. Metal to metal is separated by rubber in flat/straight areas, or in other rounded areas heavy plastic material is connected to the metal of the tractor with heavy duty velcro connectors. The bottom of the front windshield lifts out about 3-4 inches for ventilation.

I seem to notice more noise finding its way into the cab now instead of being dispersed into the air around me if I didn't have the cab. Not sure yet if I will need to upgrade my alternator to take into account the greater load on my battery.

Any thing I've missed? Quality paint job by Curtis! The cab fits below the ROP by about 6 inches.

More questions let me know.

2flints ....

Tractor cab

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-11-06          68151

Thanks for the info! The curtis cab looks like a nice setup. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login