Go Bottom Go Bottom

what to buy

View my Photos
grinder
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-26          67135

I have been looking at a jd 2210,w/ a 62" mmm,a 47" blower and 210 loader. I'm just not sure if it's enough tractor.
I have about two acres of lawn in and more to go, and about
two acres of woods. I also plan to blow my 200' driveway.
I just today sold my 25hp garen tractor with a 50" deck
and a 44" blower. It is going to snow any day now and I
need help!
My best price so far with tax and rebates is $15,750.00
for the package.
Any comments would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

what to buy

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-26          67137

First off let me extend my welcome!

If your previous garden tractor was 25 hp with a 50" mmm and blower was not satisfying your requirements; I am inclined to think the 2210 may not either. The 2210 should definitely be enough tractor for 4 acres but your uses may deem more tractor. Best advice I can give you would be to demo the 2210 and some of the larger (say 4110, 4210,or perhaps a 790) and see which is to your liking. Then go for it! So much depends on the uses you will put the tractor to. Consider all the uses and size issues carefully before you buy. Good luck! ....

what to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-26          67141

What kind of garden tractor did you have? What shortcomings did it have that caused you to want to replace it? Did you just sell it because it's old or something? ....

what to buy

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-10-27          67167

I did my 180' drive + large parking pads with my Craftsman 20hp 42" blower for 7 years....no problem. It has a 50" mower deck and did 1/3 acre of grass in 30 minutes.

My 2210 with the 47" blower and 54" deck almost seems like overkill. But, then, you get the capabilities of a real tractor. The Craftsman just couldn't do much more...the 2210 does. The issue then becomes: how fast do you want to do the job. The larger the tractor the faster the job.

Then there are those other considerations..like..getting the tractor into the garage with a standard 7' overhead door. The 2210 fits with 1" clearance..the 4115 wouldn't make it for me.

I personally think that a 2210 will fill the bill unless you need a backhoe. It will just take a little longer to do the same job as a 4115..etc. ....

what to buy

View my Photos
grinder

2003-10-27          67169

I had a husqvana gt 250. I guess I need to explain more.
My biggest need is a loader, repair(fill) uneven ground,
firewood, brush cleanup,etc. Would love to have a sm. back hoe. pulling rocks ,drainage, I own a vermeer stump grinder.
so they would not be an issue. But I still need to mow and blow? ....

what to buy

View my Photos
grinder

2003-10-27          67170

Thanks,
I guess I would like to do more, Don't want to drop 16000.00
an not be able to dig with it, but yet I need to mow and blow snow. I really want a bucket loader to move things around.

what to buy

View my Photos
grinder

2003-10-27          67171

How does the craftsman and 2210 compare blowing snow? ....

what to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67201

Wildman, I think the 4110/4115 offer a folding ROPS as an option.

grinder, if you want John Deere and a backhoe I think you'd need to move up to the 790 with the 8B backhoe or the 4115 with the 46 backhoe. The 46 is a new model and they haven't updated their website so I'm not sure what models it fits. I know it fits the 4115 since Mark Hunstiger here has that setup. But you're not gonna get a 4115 with loader, backhoe, snowblower and mmm for $16000. The MSRP on a 4115 is $15999 and that's without any attachments. If you don't mind shifting your own gears the 4WD 790 is about $4k cheaper. The biggest criticism of the 790 seems to be it's dry brakes but it's a pretty solid machine. ....

what to buy

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-27          67209

One drawback about the 790 is that it has the transmission hump instead of the Flat operator platform of the Kubota B and BX s, TC Boomers, and Deere 4000 series tractors, for easier on off and backing up.

Not sure it has a Live PTO an important feature for Blowing snow. Hydo trans also allows you infinite ground speed control to help you avoid clogging the blower.

Did your Sears have a two stage blower? The Deere does. That alone makes a big difference.

Dennis
TractorPoint ....

what to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67214

Good catch, Dennis, the 790 is transmission driven so it wouldn't be suitable for snow blowing. ....

what to buy

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-10-27          67237

I haven't blown snow yet with the 2210 but the Craftsman worked like a champ..no complaints there at all.

I am putting a Curtis cab on the 2210 so even with a folding ROPS a cab equipped 4115 wouldn't go through the door. ....

what to buy

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-27          67239

"Good catch, Dennis, the 790 is transmission driven(PTO) so it wouldn't be suitable for snow blowing."

Why not? They sell a 59" blower for it. WIth the 2 stage clutch why can't I just press 1/2 way down and let it shoot snow while I am not moving or slowly rolling if it bogged?

Wouldn't the tractor in the right gear be able to crawl through all but the heaviest snows?

Much like the way I use my present snow blower when I intermittingly release the drive handle to stop/slow the machine while I keep the blower going continuously.

I don't really think I will ever go for the blower but would it be that BAD on my tractor.

Sorry for all the questions but I never used a snow blower on a tractor and can't envision how it would be that difficult.

what to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67242

F350, I don't blow snow, never have, and probably never will so I don't have a clue about it. When Dennis said a live PTO was an important feature for snow blowing I took him at his word since he has to do it and knows more about it than I ever will.

In my post I was trying to defer to his superior knowledge of this topic. I probably should have said something like "..it may not be best for snow blowing." Actually, I should have said "I don't have a clue" LOL

Anyway, I may or may not stand corrected depending on the truth of the matter :) ....

what to buy

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-27          67243

I would envision it working the way F350 has laid out. I have blown a bunch of snow (but not with a tractor) and snow blowers have been around a lot longer than HST's.

I do think the 790 would be a pain in the neck with a rear mounted blower for the reasons Dennis pointed out, but I think it would be quite acceptable with a front mount. ....

what to buy

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-10-27          67244

I think the assumption here is that someone is going out to buy a new piece of equipment. That being the case, if one of the main chores is snow blowing and mowing I think that an hydro with live PTO is advantageous vs a gear.

With the Hydro you don't have to change gears, and you can really creep into big piles, you can go faster thru shallow snow and immediately go slower when you hit wet or drifted snow matching your ground speed better to the blowers output capacity.

It is a fine point actually, and probably only lets you get done slightly faster. But if I was buying it is something I would like to know about before I spent $15k.

A JD 790 will do a really fine job of just about anything and will blow snow just fine, it is a really substantial piece of hardware. It is just significant to know what the differences are before you buy.

Ken,

The only thing my wife thinks is "superior" about me is my ability to put my foot in my mouth, but thanks anyway for the "title".

Dennis
TractorPoint

what to buy

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-27          67246

I was thinking only really of thwe front mount. the rear would be pain. I can see how the ability to accelerate witht he hydro would be great.

Tell ya' what though, anythings gotta be better than me manhandling my overworked 22" walk behind blower through 20'+ snows last year for 6 hours at a crack every other weekend!

i think the FEL and maybe ablade will be a MAJOR inmrovement.

I don't think the front blower would work for me because with certain areas of the property and the horses I need the FEL and would be swapping like a madman. The rear mounted blower doesn't make much more sense to me than a blade and FEL combo at a much lower $$$ tag ....

what to buy

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-27          67252

Dennis,

don't let your superior knowledge go to your head. When it comes to snowblowing almost anybody's knowledge is superior to mine! LOL

Ken ....

what to buy

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-27          67291

Listen go get your self a 4110 or a 4210 with a mower, loader and a rear erskin snow blower. You can use the blower the throw the snow and the bucket to stack it. A 2210 sound to small for what you are doing.
By the way a craftsman tractor does not even come close to a John deere. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login