Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
johnydeere1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-23          66937

Hi guys.
Thanks for the input the other day on my question about the 2210 vs the 4110.
I only have 1.5 acres, but a JD dealer brought the 4110 out to my house (without purchasing it yet) to see what it looked/drove like on my yard. I have to say I FELL IN LOVE with it. My wife did too, or at least she said she did. My neighbors 2210 just didn't do too much for me. I am sure it is a nice machine. I guess I just liked the bigger tires etc......
Besides, I have A LOT of use for the 61" bucket, and we may be getting more land in the very near future.
Enough with the story..................... :-)

The 4110 should be here Saturday. YEEHA!!!!
I have a few questions:

1. I know JD says that the 4110 doesn't handle a posthole digger. I was wondering if any of you know if the 4110 can take an aftermarket 3 pt. posthole digger? If so, any suggestions on where to buy? Price?

2. Does JD offer an extended warranty that one should be looking at buying? I don't normally get them, but thought I'd ask.

3. I am going with the weights over the weight box. Any issues/suggestions with this?

THANK YOU SO MUCH!
Tim

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-23          66942

Congratulations on your new addition! I'm sure you'll love it.

The 4110 has 17 pto hp. I've seen post hole diggers that work with as few as 14 pto hp, so one of those may fit. I wouldn't want to recommend one since I have no personal experience with them but some quick web searching should turn something up. Maybe someone else can recommend one.

Deere offers an extended warranty. Tractors are fairly simple to work on and if you maintain it well you probably won't need it. They're more reliable and less complex than a car. Personally, I wouldn't spend the money on one.

Your tractor manual will explain a lot about proper weight ballasting for your tractor. This is VERY important stuff so be sure you understand it. I'm not sure how much weight you bought, but when using the loader you will want to have an equal amount of weight on the rear. Use the weights specified in the owners manual. One trick a lot of people use is to hook up a rear implement for additional ballast. For example, if you have a box blade that might weigh 500 lbs you can hook it up when using the loader for additional ballast. Weight is weight. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
Ducati996
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-24          66953

ohnydeere1 ,

Congrad's on the new toy, oh I meant new "Tractor" !!
It can handle a PHD just fine. Their are a few people with the same machine and PHD, and it works well for them. Mark H is the first one that comes in mind. I'm sure he will provide info on that.
As for weight, do yourself a flavor and get the ballast box (it should not be extra $$- should be included) You absolutley need to conterbalance that 61" bucket. I have the same machine and bucket (4100 series w/61) My ballast box is 750 approx ( free weights) and loaded calcium tube tires..It can still lift the back end and then you run into the "pucker" factor..in other words you get scared straight (:) !!
With the proper ballast it enchances the machines capabilities 10 fold...wheel weights are good as well and should be used w/ additional ballast. The wheel weights can replace the loaded tires if you chose not to load tires. Get a toothbar as well, enhances your digging capability 100X !!
As for extended warranty, they are nice to have but it depends on price. 4100,4110,4115 dont have the electronics controllers like the 4310 series and above. I would say they are very robust tractors and dont need an extendend warranty. But it's good to protect your investment...

happy motoring!,

Ducati996 ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-24          66957

johnydeere1, congratulations on the new piece of green and welcome if I haven't already! As already stated, Mark has used a PHD with his 4100 without problems and I am sure he will add his comments. The extended warranty is sometimes a good thing but more times than not a waste of money. Better to save your money for other things or later services and repairs. As far as the weights check you manual as Ken said and make sure you have the appropriate amount of ballast. This is especially and critically important on slopes as too little ballast weight on the rear tires can result in a skid to the bottom of the slope or hill. Ask me how I know. ;-) Enjoy and be safe! ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-24          66963

I think the reason Deere does not recommend a PHD has nothing to do with horsepower but rather the way the top link is mounted on the 4100.

I will refer to the 4100 because I have not looked at that facet of the 4110 yet and it may well be the same.

The top link mount is buried beneath the seat and is at the bottom of an angled bracket. It is this angled bracket that is the problem. My PHD on my 4100 didn't function well because it jammed into the angled bracket when I raised the boom.

I had the boom knuckle cut off and re-welded at a different angle and that solved the problem. I have looked at several makes of PHD's since then and thought most would work on a 4100 without modification.

The test: you don't have to hook up the whole thing, just attach the boom to the top link and raise it with your hands. If part of the knuckle hits the angled seat bracket, look for another make or style. If the first thing that stops the boom's upward movement is any other part of the tractor you should be alright.

My 4115 has a set of spacers between the rear end housing and the bracket in question which in effect raises the whole bracket and seat about an inch and provides the needed clearance to articulate the boom.

Coincidentally, Deere does recommend and sell a PHD for the 4115 so I think I am on the right track. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-24          66964

Whoops. Forgot to address the ballast question.

I would not operate that tractor with that large bucket without at least 900 pounds of rear ballast. That would be the MINIMUM, more might be better. It can be any combo of wheel weights or fluid or three point weight you choose.

If you think that sounds like a lot of ballast please see my #8 picture.

On the warranty question, let me know what you find. I just tried to buy an extended warranty a couple months ago and was told it was not available on this model. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-24          66975

Mark, did you get that extended warranty info from the dealer or right from JD? The literature clearly shows the "PowerGard Protection Plan" as an option on the 4010/4110/4115 specification page. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
johnydeere1

2003-10-24          67015

Mark,

What I want to know is.......................
WHAT IN THE WORLD DID YOU EAT THAT MORNING?
WOW!!!!!!!

I will be getting a box blade. It appears it may be around 500#'s.
I will check into wheel waits as well.

How much did you pay for your forks? I found out JD is coming out with new pallet forks right off the loader instead of the bucket. They will be about $600 vs. the current $970.

Take care,
Tim

P.S. I'll put my pictures up after I get the thing.

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
johnydeere1

2003-10-24          67016

kwschumm

Thanks for your input.
I almost bought the weight package.
It was 6 weights at 70#'s each = 420#'s.
The box blade, I think, is closer to 500.
You are right. I could easily use that.

Thanks again,
Tim ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
johnydeere1

2003-10-24          67017

Ducati996

I love your term........."pucker" factor.
I know it well. I just sold bobcat, and I've run into that factor many times.

Where would one get the "tooth" bar?
How easy it is take off, or is it permanent?
How much?
I could definitely see the advantages. That is a good point.

TL ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-25          67050

Sometimes a PHA can really bang a 3ph around if an operator isn't careful and that's probably JD's reason. One almost certainly could be found that would fit the tractor. However, there might be warranty issues if one is used and I'd inform myself.

With mine I learned to keep the rpm down if it starts wobbling and until the hole is well started. I also dig the loader bucket in and use the bucket to position the tractor over my marker and also to reposition the tractor slightly if necessary as I dig. 3ph's raise and lower in arcs, and sometimes I can cure a wobble by repositioning the tractor slightly. Sometimes a hole will just want take off at an angle too.

Take care with them. They are among the most dangerous of all implements to mount and too operate. There are few things more awkward that mounting a PHA so watch that your fingers don't end up between swinging parts and don't have anybody near watching the work. You should pull them up a bit when digging to keep the hole straight and clear excess dirt off the top of the auger. It can really fly around if it's pulled out of a hole while running at pto rpm. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-10-25          67055

johnydeere1,

I can give you an example of the next stage after the "Pucker" factor. I didnt attach my ballast box at this time, because I wasnt digging or carrying dirt. I was grading with the FEL, when I decided to pull a 1-1/2" vine wrapped around a tree. I tugged on the vine hoping to rip it from the tree. It appear to be working when the tree started bending, and the vine wasnt snapping, and it suddenly had my entire front end up almost higher than a vertical wheelie !!
It was now like I was on a rubber band sling shot. It startled the hell out me, and took some time to figure out how I was going to get out of this without the machine slamming, or the vine breaking at me! I guess my ballast box if it was attached would have limit the wheelie height,
but it wasnt on. I was luckily, stapped in seat belt wise..
I had to raise the loader at its highest level in order to bring me back down safely, kind of the opposite of what you might have thought in a split second. I got it back down to earth, walked it off for a few minutes, changed my shorts, then got angry and got the chain saw and killed everything in its path!! 6 trees died that day...
I have unpredicatable results removing stumps, and when you bite on to a root that wont give, the rear end will rise even with ballast !! It would be real quick, dangerous and unpredicatable if you didnt have ballast..
The toothbar I got from the dealer directly, because I didnt have the bits to make 3/4 holes on each side of the bucket. They should really be no more than $350 ? but they protect the lip of the bucket as well, and make the machine a real good digger !!

Ducati996

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-25          67061

Pretty good comment from Ducati. I know the 3ph wheelie bar isn't really the subject here and likely isn't serious either. I'll throw in a comment for people new to 3ph's since I operated under a misconception for awhile.

3ph's aren't held down. Only the implement weight and action of the ground keep them down. They're designed to float up and over bumps etc. and things would break if they didn't. What would happen in the tree situation is that the 3ph and weight box would rotate on the link pivots as the tractor front end lifted until it hit its mechanical stop, and then it would either stop the tractor or break the hitch. I think most stops would still limit a tractor to something less than vertical if they don't break, but an implement isn't going to work very well as a wheelie bar.

I remember this stuff when I'm dozing with the rear cutter on a box scraper. If I get the blade angle wrong the blade will cut some but the 3ph will start lifting rather than pushing the mound. If I'm not careful the 3ph will come up against its stops. It also can happen if I'm backing down a steep hill intending to start cutting at the bottom.

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-25          67068

Ken, you are right (of course!) there is an extended warranty available. I was a bit disappointed that it only covers the power train. So I will probably pass on it.

JohnnyDeere.. The picture is intended to illustrate just how unbalanced a compact tractor can be when you add an FEL. The 90 pound forks on the bucket lighten the weight on the rear end to a couple hundred pounds.

Your owners manual will tell you to add 1100-1200 pounds to the rear of the tractor to insure safe operation. Believe it!

Have you checked into EZ weights? They are well designed and much cheaper than OEM wheel weights. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
bobggg

2003-10-25          67075

You beat me to the punch. I'm still waiting for my 4110 (on order) with FEL, LX4, and box blade. ....

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
Ducati996

2003-10-25          67083

Hi TomG,
you quoted:
"I know the 3ph wheelie bar isn't really the subject here and likely isn't serious either. I'll throw in a comment for people new to 3ph's since I operated under a misconception for awhile."

Not sure if this was a skeptic response to my wild ride, but
it really did happen, every word of it ! My machine was so far up in the air, it was balancing on the rear wheels, as the tree was gyrating..and 6 trees did get cut down after that including the vine ladden cedar one.
You are correct regarding the 3 pt system, that they move up to follow contour of ground. It would have snapped in my case if I had something attached, Just as well..

Ducati996

JD 4110 Questions

View my Photos
TomG

2003-10-26          67112

No doubt at all by me that it happened, and it's good there were no injuries to tractor or yourself.

I threw in the comment because for a short while when I first got my tractor I figured that I was compacting gravel by sitting a box scraper on the ground flat and then rolling the box down with the top link--figured I was getting some down-pressure. I was and it does compact gravel but it's only the weight of the box.

I also heard a wheelie-bar comment and may have thought that keeping an implement low on the 3ph would prevent tractor's front end from coming up very far. It doesn't and you likely know that. I just wanted to relieve anybody who may have the same early ideas I did of some misconceptions as soon as possible. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login