Go Bottom Go Bottom

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
redwing
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-22          66866

Just wanted to say thanks for information on the 790 4x4 tractors. (and other models) I've been lurking in the background, reading and searching for information on most of this sites boards. Should be getting mine by wed of next week. Will try to post pict when I get tractor. Does anyone know of any decent pallet forks for the 419 loader that are cheaper than the deere forks?? Called Rankin and the shipping seem to eat up any savings. Am located in Oklahoma near ark border. Thanks again.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-23          66879

Welcome to the board and congratulations on your purchase! I'm sure you'll enjoy your new tractor - the amount of work these small machines can do is amazing. Be sure to post some pics when you get a chance.

As far as pallet forks go, I'm in the same boat as you with my 430 loader. I ordered a set of Rankin forks for my 3 point hitch due to the larger lift capacity but I would love to have a set for my loader as well. The JD dealer said they had some clamp-on bucket forks made by Rankin that are rated for 1000 lbs for around $300. Actual capacity would be a bit less due to bucket deflection. Would bucket forks work for your needs? They are a lot cheaper than those that fit right on the loader brackets but they won't lift as much. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
Wildman1

2003-10-23          66940

I made a set of clamp on's copying the Rankin design. $150 and used 2x3" steel tubing. They work very well but they put the weight further forward than the loader replacing forks. My 2210 will pick up about 500lbs on the forks before things start getting light in the rear. It'll pick up 700lbs in the bucket without getting light in the rear. That's with 400lbs of rear ballast in both cases. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-24          66960

Welcome and congratulations. The 790 will make a nice addition to the 8N. Make sure you are pretty conservative with the weight and liberal with the ballast use the forks. They really shift the weight moment far out in front of the tractor. Enjoy and look forward to the pics. I always see something that I learn new in the pics. folk post. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
redwing

2003-10-24          66978

Thanks for the welcome. On the forks I want to remove the bucket to keep the weight as close to the tractor as i can. and to see load better. Chief, hope you don't have a patent on pict 12. That looks handy to move boat and or a trailer around with as well as light lifting and toting. I will have to make one. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-24          66980

Good luck, I have a790 and really like it.

It is a shame the pallet forks are so expensive. For most of our occassional use they don't make sense given the cost. The bucket forks are cheaper and should be a good compromise for all but the heavy user. What about 3 point hitch forks, do you need to lift high? Maybe they could work, you'd be more stable with a higher lift capacity and more $$$ in your wallet ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-24          66981

redwing, I have a friend who makes the 3 pt. hitches. If you do decide to make one; make sure you employ a safety chain or cable to prevent the entire 3 pt. hitch from swinging up on you if the tongue weight shifts or is too light. Not a good thing if it catches you by surprise. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
Murf

2003-10-24          66985

Redwing, any local welding shop (if you can't) can make you up the 'base plate' you need to go on your loader in place of the bucket. Then all you need is a set of forks, and any forklift dealer will likely have lots of them, when forklifts die the forks are still OK. Around here plenty of sets can be had for under $150 in a variety of lengths and mounting styles.

If you have a welder who's really sharp they can easily build a 2"x2" receiver tube into the plate, then you just slip the forks of, plug in a blll mount and you have a real slick unit for moving trailers or toting stuff. This works really good with the type of forks which just clip over a lip on the mounting plate. 1/2" plate and 4" "C" channel work well.

Best of luck. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-24          66988

I made a fork set for my 790 fairly cheap, not to pretty but they work great, mounting is really easy,mounts the same way the bucket does. only need to get off tractor to install bottom pins. look at pics. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
redwing

2003-10-24          66989

Chief, thanks for the heads up. We have a 16 ft flat bed trailer and have loaded tractors and cars on it and have seen it try to take the rear of pictup off the ground while loading them. I will watch out. Should not be a problem as will be moving them to mow around.
Murf, Will check with fork lift mechanic at work and see if he knows of any.
Plots1, Forks don't look bad and don't cost $900. This may be the way I wind up going.
F350Lawman, Like looking forward.(not young as use to be)May still make some for the back later. Will be mostly lighter lifting work on the loader forks as 790 is low lifting capasty and tractor is somewhat narrow footprint.
Thanks again everyone for the imput. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-24          66991

I put jackstands under the rear end of my 16 foot trailer when the tractor goes on or off to keep it from jacking up the truck. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-24          66995

Whether 3ph or loader forks are best depends on what you need to lift and what your tractors lifting capacity is. Often the 3ph will lift a LOT more weight than the loader (in my case it will lift 1000+ lbs more). ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
redwing

2003-10-30          67587

Well it finally arrived today while i was at work. Thank goodness it has lights on it since we just had the time change. Got to play with it for a little while before dark and a little after. Will be a long day tomarrow at work. ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-30          67589

What? No pictures yet? I'm outraged! LOL ....

New Tractor soon

View my Photos
redwing

2003-10-30          67592

Working on it as we speak. They are in the camera. Will try to post one tonight. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login