Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD990

View my Photos
sergeant
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-19          66607

Thinking of Buying a JD990MFWD. To handle the worh load at my property. Mostly been using a JD X485 and want to Get a CUT to handle the loader and backhoe work. My question is on the Coller shift transmission. Do you have to bring the tractor to a complete stop to change gears. Or is the collar shift like a manual transmission on a automobil basicly shift on the go.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD990

View my Photos
DK35vince
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-19          66609

Collar shift-stop to shift.
Syncronized transmission-shift on the go. ....

JD990

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-20          66625

Unless you definitly want to keep more engines running why not invest in a BX22 Kubota. They are about the same size as your X series and they will take all the attachments of the bigger cuts and you only need to keep one tractor in your garage(if your neighbors aren't trying to use it). ....

JD990

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-20          66643

Since sergeant is considering the 990 he is probably looking for a tractor that has more power. The BX22 with 22 gross and 16.7 pto hp isn't even close power-wise to the 990 which has 40.4 gross and 35 pto hp. ....

JD990

View my Photos
Chief

2003-10-20          66649

If you are concentrating on backhoe and loader work for this tractor, there is a sizable jump in capability between the 790 and 990. Going from a #7 to a #8B backhoe and 419 or 70 loader to a 430 loader. Check and compare the specs. on these attachments and see what will satisfy your requirements. The 790 may be what you are looking for and just get things done in smaller bites. The 990 was my 3rd choice with the 4410 #1 & 4310 #2. The 990 is definitely much more tractor but you pay an additional $4,200. It also does not come with a folding ROPS to my knowledge, so consider the height issue and the 990 is about a 1/3 larger than the 790 (or so at least I thought). Both are great tractors. Just need to compare and figure what makes sense for you. I would strongly suggest that you demo both of these tractors first as well as others of different colors before you buy to put you mind informatively at ease. Good luck with your purchase. ....

JD990

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-20          66651

Ken, thru the years I've seen to many people buy to big and then which they hadn't. Many people do buy to big thinking of ease and then can't get to where they need it or can't use it for the work they intended or it never gets run enough and actually do more harm then if they had put twice the hours on. I see what he is asking for but I don't see a real need for the size he is asking for with the property size he has or he will be putting a lot of money out for something he will only be able to use occasionally. ....

JD990

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-20          66657

Art, your perspective certainly adds value.

sergeants's profile indicates he has a half dozen small tractors already. Perhaps he's a landscaper or wants to be in the service business or maybe his small machines don't meet his needs. There's not enough info here to know and absent that knowledge I assumed he knew what he was looking for. ....

JD990

View my Photos
sergeant

2003-10-20          66658

My current property is 51/2 acres for which the X485 w/loader is just fine for. I just bought 15 acres. Hopefully Building a house there next year and I have been looking a JD CUT's. I have been looking at Both the 4000 series large frame tractors as well as the 790 and 990. For the price diffrence between the 990 and the 4000 series large frames. I belive the 990 can fit my needs yes the e-hydro would be nice But the price of the 990 is alot better sounding figure. ....

JD990

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-10-20          66662

My 4100 had a collar shift. It was set up so that you could shift between 3rd and 4th, and low and high, without coming to a complete stop. ....

JD990

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-21          66713

I don't know why but a lot of people buy the JD 790 and 990 with a loader and hoe. But it seems they never really like them. A collar shift trans is not your best friend when it comes to loader work. I used to run a 1050 with the same set up. It was a pain, when loading up the topdresser all day at the golf course. Spend a little more and get a 4510-4710 with a hydro trans. It will save you later on in time and agravation. ....

JD990

View my Photos
JAZAK5
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-21          66745

I have driven semi a few years and I can shift from reverse to 1st on my 790 pretty slick without grinding anything doing fel work.
My right hand on the joy stick and I slide my left arm under the wheel and "snap" r to 1st and 1st to r.
Just like feeling for the next gear without clutching. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login