Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
dfd#34
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-10-05          65618

I am in the market for a John Deere 790 with a 416 loader and a 7 series backhoe sometime this year or early next. I have been down to my local dealer several times to look at all the diffrent models. By far the 790 fits my needs the best. I know that I will buy a Deere when it is all said and done but, I would just like to compare the 790 with some other manufacturers just to put my mind at ease. It is not every day that a person goes out and buys a new $21,000 tractor. Can some of you tractor buffs tell me some of the other makes and models to look at? Any help would be great, Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-05          65620

New Holland's TC30 is in the same price range and has a little more power, wet brakes, and the option of a hydro transmission. I'm not sure what model Kubota has that is similar and I'm sure others will chime in with some other brands. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
DK35vince

2003-10-05          65622

I think the competitor to the 790 in Kubota may be the B 7800.(maybe L 3000)
NH tc 30.
Kioti has the LK 3054.
I would also check into Century/Branson and Mahindra models but I'm not sure what models that would be.
There are many MFG's out there with very nice units availible. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
catman22

2003-10-05          65627

hey 34 i have the same problem and have ask several questions regarding these 2 tractors. so far i am leaning towards the tc30 because of price and also because the JD has dry brakes and from info i have got on this board you have to change them alot at a high price.if you come up with any reason why the JD is better please let me know ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-10-05          65629

The Kubota that plays against the 790 in size is the L-3000 in the current line up. You could look at the B-7800 for a hydro in the Kubota line up but it is a smaller chassis. I do like the smaller hoods for visability and it is a very proven chassis coming from the B-9200 series out of the easly eighties to the B-2150 in the early 90's and the chassis of the first true mini commercial duty TLB the B-20. The B-series of this size would probably give you the the best manuverablity of all available choices a plus for tight mowing chores. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-05          65635

"if you come up with any reason why the JD is better please let me know"

I like it better.. that's why :)

I looked at the TC29 and the Kubota and the MF and the AGCO but I liked the JD better. It also was the best price, had a good dealer and did all that I needed.

I also looked at Kioti and Century and Mahindra but decided to go with the more well known, established brands due to service, parts and resale considerations.

I think I made the right choice and that's all that matters to any of us. :)

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-10          65943

I would go an look at a 4210 hydro john deere. if you are going to do a lot of loader work. A nonsynchronized trans is not your best friend. Hydro trans will be a big help, or a syncshift trans would be better. I use to run a 1070 w/loader+hoe and a 5210 w/loader at a golfcourse. The 1070 with its nonsynchronized trans was a bitch to run all day loading up the topdresser. The 5210 had a syncshift witch was a lot faster and easyer to use. My hydro 955 is easy to use, my mother can even use it. She ripped a gear out of my 214 trying to plow the driveway. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2003-10-10          65949

I have a NH TC30. I bought it over the 790 because it has double the 3pt hitch capacity, it weighs a few hundred pounds more (important to me), has an open operator platform, and finally, because I could get it with Hydro for about $1,000 bucks more (I did). ....

Picture Link
John Deere Tractors John Deere 790 vs

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-10          65950

You didn't say you needed a brush hog but the new L-2800 would eat a 790 loader up, when you get the L-3400 you can run the bush-hog and still have far more for your money. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-10          65976

As far as the TC30 having twice as much cap in the 3 pt. WELL that is some kind of sales pitch. because I have lifted just as much as my buddy's TC30 to the point where they both were lifting the front tires in the air.so maybe if you were to chain it down or something it might outlift the 790.That little bit of extra weight your talking about surely doesn't do much when your lifting a half ton on the 3 point. Not trying to down the TC30, It's a fine tractor but there claim for there 3 pt is far fetched. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
Peters

2003-10-10          65980

OK I am confused. First of all we are not comparing similar tractors. The 790 now has 27 hp and the TC-30 is 30 hp. One has double the lift capacity than the other. One has wet brakes and the other has dry.
How much does Deere charge to move from the 4210 to the 4310?
Lift capacity is a factor one will lift a round bale the other will not. One has trouble lifting a rotory cutter the other does not. The lever arm factor on equipment like a rotor cutter means that although a piece of equipment weighs less than the lift capacity you may not be able to lift it as the weight is a long ways from the tractor.
As far as light front end go, that is what the suit case weight are for. In other countries no one runs with out them.

Resale? 1999 790 Deere list 8.5-9.5 K
1999 1920 NH list 13.5-15 K (same frame 28.8 Hp)

To me it seems like a slam dunk in terms of value for the TC-30. There are other tractor in the mix though.

Although I have owned 2 JD CUT the I have always let my head rule my heart. I have bought used JD as I found them cheap. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-10          65989

Yes Peters some sort of weight should be used for ballast when lifting and moving things on three point. what I was saying is the two tractors ( My 790 and buddys Tc30 ) both lifted 2 55 gallon drums full of water and both had the front tires teadering off the ground.you could of added the same amount of weight to each front end and still had an unsafe ride on either.(weight was about 1000lbs.)both did have front loaders on.that being said the weight they say the TC 30 will lift is misleading. At least keeping it safe. now add another 7 or800 lbs to it's max and you would have to put the 790 in the loader for safe transport.and Some of the newer 790's are rated at 27 hp mine is 30 at 2500 rpm. Also my 3 pt is rated at 850 or so and had no problem lifting the drums, unsaftly though not real useable once lifted. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
Art White

2003-10-11          66015

At the Kubota introduction the 790 TC-30 and the L-2800 were lined up with 1000 lbs of weight in the bucket. The 790 was the poorest performance at any RPM with the TC-30 being able to do most all chores required and of coarse the L-2800 raised the highest. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
plots1

2003-10-11          66057

Well then apparntly it's just a pile of junk, guess I shouldn't be reccomening it to nobody.All in all I'm still very pleased with mine. ....

John Deere 790 vs

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-10-11          66060

I just put a for sale on mine as well!

All I can say is for 14,900 out the door with the FEl w/ grll guard, HD 61" bucket hooks welded on, LX-5 cutter w/slip clutch, R-4s it is a great tractor. I have done everything with it that I could imagine and it does great while sipping fuel.

It does not have the greatest lift capacity but it lifts the ammount that is safe for a tractor of this weight I had 800+ pounds on the rear end today and it was safe but anymore and it would be on the borderline.

On the "other" site there is a guy who upped the hydro pressure with a few shims from Deere. He says it is still within safe tolerances and the loader and 3pt have much more oomph. I will probably do it but remember if you do it it will be easier to get into trouble with balance issues.

I will use it for those occasions where I need to scoop from the bottom of big heavy piles or moving heavy objects. It will only be one rare occasions so I don't fear any extra wear or other issues.

I can get part numbers and the guy is supposed to post a photo if anyone wants.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login