Go Bottom Go Bottom

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
patc
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-09          63451

Hey all, Great board! I'm purchasing a used 790 w/ 159 hours on it. It does not have a front loader and would like advise on purchasing a used loader. What should I look for or stay away from, only JD or will another loader fit it? Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-09          63452

There are several companies for you to choose from for loaders. Normally the aftermarket loaders will save you about 500 over a new company loader. I do recommend staying with the weight limits of the factory loader tractor configuration. I would try and use a loader that your favorite dealer sells. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-09          63469

I would go get the JD loader if the difference is only $500, especially if for the savings you end up with a different color loader. The loader is probably going to be on for close to 100% of the time and it just looks nice having a matching outfit. :)

The 419 loader with the 61" HD bucket is a good unit and I have already given it much use...plus I looked good doing it!

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-10          63473

I agree with Lawman. One other point, if I were buying a used machine I would think twice about buying one with an aftermarket loader. It's not that aftermarket loaders are bad, but when a loader has the manufacturers name on it there should be no question of how it fits and performs and you can be pretty sure it won't stress or overload the tractor in some unforseen manner. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
TomG

2003-09-10          63484

If there might be a MMM in the future, It'd be good to check if one of the JD loaders is compatible with a MMM. Few after-market loader frames and some factory frames as well aren't compatible with MMM's and loaders have to be removed to mount MMM's. Lots of people are doing that and maybe some owners would do it even if their loaders and MMM did work together but having an option would be good. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-09-10          63494

The 790 is one of the models that has "light" loader specs for its size and weight.

It would be a good guess that the front axle strength may be a limiting factor.

If you go to an aftermarket loader it would be wise to stick to the factory hydraulic parameters. There isn't enough savings in an aftermarket loader to tempt me. I suspect your resale value would be better with the Deere loader as well.

To back up Tom's point, we have had folks cite compatibility problems with aftermarket loaders and other implements. Click on the link below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-10          63548

I agree with Scott, Ken, & Mark. Go with the JD loader. If you have any issues with it later on down the line, you JD dealer will be in a better postion to help you out. It was designed with your tractor in mind and is not likely to exceed any limits of the tractor. Plus, I am like Scott too....... the green paint will match. ;-) ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-09-10          63554

Yeah, if you want to save some $$$ get any color RM,FM,BB, etc. you want but the FEL is big and has an accompanying frame and when it's a different color it just looks wrong. The FEL to me is an integral part of the tractor more than an attachment. I will probbaly keep this loader on for every moment of this tarctors life. I really can't envision myself removing it, unless I get curious and take it off just for kicks. ;)

I sometimes help a local farmer and he has a nice 1969? JD 3020 with an orange new Idea loader and it just doesn't look as good. It's a beautiful tractor but all the others he has are all JD and I think the orange loader sort of takes away from the 3020.

More importantly I like that I can to one place for ALL my repairs and warranty work. I don't want to hear "the loader broke the tractor" or at the other end of the spectrum "the tractors hydraulics are off so thy broke the loader" :)

Seems like I might be giving 2 manufacturers a way out.

Plan for the worst this way you'll never be unprepared or dissapointed. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-09-11          63650

i have a 790 w/ a 419 loader its great. dont be miss led by the loader lift cap. different companys measure that figure different ways. theres a big difference between lifting 1500lbs and rolling 1500lbs back on the tip of the bucket.
good luck but buy thr 419 if u can find one. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-12          63657

You are right on the roll back, many of the stronger loaders have double the rollback strength as the lift circuit. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
JAZAK5

2003-09-25          64871

STICK WITH THE 419 LOADER,THE DAM THING IS TRICK.I BET YOU CAN'T TAKE A AFTER MARKET OFF LIKE THIS ONE. ANY EASIER AND YOU WOULD THINK IT WOULD FALL OFF.!!!!!! ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-10          65940

You could for a little cheaper and still be a deere. Get a 70 loader, not a 419 loader. A 70 will fit and you might be able to find a used one or get a new one from the dealer. I saw one go on ebay for $2000 and it looked like it had never been used. I have a 70a loader on my 955, it a good loader, the bucket could haven been designed better. But it was design something like 15 years ago. ....

Loader for 790 JD

View my Photos
MITCHC

2003-11-28          69869

I bought my 790 new in 2000 and it came with the 70 fel.
I love it but i would love the quick attach bucket much more in the 419 loader..
My advise is your spending lot's of $$$ on a tracktor you don't want a loader that is pached on. get a deere. then when you go to sell the unit you have a john deere resale all around ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login