Go Bottom Go Bottom

how much dicker on the sticker price

View my Photos
44trxfun
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-24          62585

I haven't bought a new tractor before. Is it customary to negotiate price, or is what my dealer gave me pretty much "take it or leave it"? I'm looking at JD, Kubota, and MF, but leaning toward JD. I was told they've sold 32 of the 2210s. They have one in stock and it would be about 6 weeks to get another one, if that makes any difference.

Thanks...

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
AC5ZO
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-08-25          62654

It probably depends on the dealer to some degree. It never hurts to ask for a better deal or shop around.

I looked at JD a little over a year ago, and I got a "take it or leave it" attitude, so I left it. I bought a NH largely because the dealer would negotiate a package deal and I got 0% financing to boot. I have continued to be satisfied with my NH dealer and tractor. ....

View my Photos
ScooterMagee

2003-08-25          62655

Three rules to live by, when making a purchase of this size:
1. Everything is negotiable.
2. You will not know unless you ask.
3. Dickering can be fun (even if you only get a hat).

:) ....

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-08-25          62657

The standard plug figure I hear is 15 % below MSRP. I hear some claim 20 % below but I have never actually seen a dealer that low. Some dealers start at full price and others just come out with a lower number. No matter how many they have sold its not like they cant get more so dont let that affect your offer. A sales person can never pressure you as much as you might pressure your self. Try several dealers and make sure you know what full price is on each item. In the end there will only be one important price, the bottom line. I think its un realistic to expect the BEST price on every piece you buy. You might get a great price on the tractor, full price on a FEL but get a Killer deal on add on implements. Remember they need to make $ too. It also varies regionally, here I never did find a Kubota dealer that would even bother writeing up a price. Ford was take it or leave it as were many JD dealers. I just kept looking for a JD dealer that fit the bill as that was the machine I liked best. Dave ....

View my Photos
Billy

2003-08-25          62658

Shop around! You'd be surprised what's out there. I bought a JD 4610 last year. The list price was $25,752.00, I bought it for $19,800.00. I did have to wait 2 months for it to be built but I had a tractor, so no big deal.

I might add, that was for the tractor and some options. I did pay $3,500.00 for the 460 FEL. That was probably full list price. If you add the tractor and FEL together, I got just a bit over 20% off list. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2003-08-25          62660

I always "Dicker" when ever I can! And I usually haggle over price ;-).

Dealers have some flexibility. There is a thread about this somewhere. If it did not end up in the middle another thread.

Art was saying it may depend on the area. I had told of 2 different prices from the same dealership different locations.

My 4400 with 430 came out the door at $23,000 if I remember right BUT I haggled for 6 months. Actually it was $16000 with my trade. Got $7000 trade for a Ford 1500 I paid $5000 for 2nd hand and used 13 years.

With that example they do have some room to haggle.

Enjoy the sessions. Harvey ....

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-25          62664

As a rule of thumb, the dealer's bottom dollar is typically MSRP minus 25% for tractors; and MSRP minus 15% for impliments. This is pretty much the dealer's botton dollar (not cost). You may find a dealer that will back off 25% on models that he is hard pressed to move but don't expect it. The more popular models that move well, expect to get less of a discount. 10 -15 % off on a tractor is reasonable and 10% on impliments. Add incentives to this as well. It would make you cry to see what the government pays for green paint. They get monster discounts! Wish I could get their prices. ....

View my Photos
jbfoote
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-09-13          63754

I agree with Chief's figures for most tracter. I would like to add that some models from JD have a lower markup. The 2210 is a good example it has a lower markup than the 4xxx series. Also the 790 and 990 have a lower markup. I was able to purchase a 4115 at 30% off and 15% off the FEL and MMM. That kind if discount made the deal on the 2210 less attractive to me. Something to consider. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-13          63760

I don't agree with Chief here on the discount but I don't have the brand that he is most familiar with. As stated the economy units have less discounts from the manufacturers then the top end models. Some things for you to play with. How about a couple cans of touch-up paint, free fifty hour service, 100 hour service,or the filters and oil to do your own, extra set of blades for the deck, extra shear pins for the snow blower, free trucking during warrantee or a hat or jacket. The discounts do change from one area to the next as maybe a model doesn't sell well in an area and they are over stocked. If you are looking at a popular unit, don't count on big discounts or 0% interest if they are telling you it will take three months to get unless you get in before the company realizes the shortage. ....

View my Photos
justair

2003-09-13          63766

I'm also in the market for a 4115 with FEL w/53" bucket and 60"MMM. The discount JBFoote received was excellent, but here in northern Illinois the best I can do is about 15% off the tractor and attachments plus the $400 rebate on 2 attachments. I looked at the 2210, but didn't like the fact that both the deck and 3 pt hitch operate together. The small tires making the 3 pt hitch limited are also a negative. I will go with the hydraulic material collection system because I have several large oak and hickory trees on my property. ....

View my Photos
eagleridge

2003-09-18          64262

Don't know if any of you have a wife like mine that shows horses, but if you are a life-member of AQHA, you are eligible for a 20-23% discount off the list as a starting point for most JD tractors and attachments. I am using this discount in current negotiations for a new 4710 tractor and 460 FEL. I also recommend shopping around and don't be afraid to tell a dealer they are not giving the best price. Usually, they will make a better offer. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-19          64323

Just thinking about this. When a customer comes in pricing a tractor, my fault but I don't ever add freight or assembly on to the price I'm quoting. Guess I won't be giving any thirty percent discounts that way huh! Maybe I should change. I do have people that come in and buy or over the phone and never question my price. That is from trust that I will be fair to them. I unfortunatly might miss a dollar or two but I don't waste customers time haggling nor do I appreciate my time being wasted with it. I do know that sometimes there is miscommunication and all parts of the deal have not been detailed enough, that is the part that haunts us all on both the purchaser and seller and I don't want to loose a deal because of that. ....

View my Photos
itsgottobegreen

2003-10-14          66251

It just like a car dealer. The smaller dealers have great service and help in deciding on a tractor. While larger dealer can give you a better price, but otherwise really doesn't care. Then there are those dealers that don't fit like Finch services. They got to be the worse dealer ever. They quoted me on a tractor that was 10% over the MSRP so you would haggled it down with the saleman to the MSRP. While Glahill's tractor mart is the best, they found excalty what i needed, and sold it to me for cost. Thats what you get for dealing with the owner. (My 955 was a trade in they wanted off the lot). Almost all their new tractors are 10% less than the MSRP. Plus a package dealer gets you a heck of a discount. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login