Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-18          59767

After a good month and a half wait my JD 790 is finally going to be delivered tomorrow AM. I can't wait. I had been so frustrated I was trying to put it out of my mind but now I am really looking foward to getting some work done!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-18          59768

I congratulated you on the other board, but I'll congratulate you again here! I had to wait a little over 4 weeks for my 4310 and the wait was almost unbearable so I know what you went through. The 790 looks like a great machine and if it wasn't for my wife who wanted the HST I would have gone that route.

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-18          59769

"The 790 looks like a great machine and if it wasn't for my wife who wanted the HST I would have gone that route"

My wife was just the opposite she wanted the more boxy "traditional" look of the 790. I stressed that it was stright gears but she said she didn't care. I thought for sure she was going to want HST. Women, I can never figure them out :) ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-07-18          59770

"I stressed that it was stright gears but she said she didn't care. I thought for sure she was going to want HST. Women, I can never figure them out :)"

I don't think logical creatures can ever figure out illogical creatures :) Funny thing is, my wife only wants to drive vehicles that have sticks. All the levers and knobs on the tractor had her freaked out, and she doesn't have much patience for learning new things so she wanted it as simple as possible.

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-18          59771

congrats F350, you'll be most happy ! best of luck with your chores once it arrives. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-18          59775

In all honesty she will probably never want to use it other than to drive it when it arrives. The horses really are her thing so I have taken the deck of my 17hp lawn tractor and attached the dump cart behind it. She is going to fil it with the manure/shavings and drive it to the pile and dump it every day or so. Then every week or so I'll turn/neaten/spread it so it's manageable. No sense using the new tractor when it's a perfect job for the now retired Murray. She can also use it for gardening. I just rewired the entire thing with out all the blasted safeties that KEPT BREAKING. It will never have a mower or other attachment so the triple redundant safteies are not needed anymore. They must have gone out 3 times in the last 2 years.

In all honesty I abused ( pasture mowing, pulled bushes even moved a stalled car) the Murray and it ran pretty well, just looks like it has been in a war :). ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-18          59780

Hallelujah!!! Congrats! I know you will be up at the crack of dawn waiting for it tommorow. Have you looked at the owner's manual online so you will have it all down when it arrives? ;o) Enjoy! ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-18          59782

Now you know what they mean the next time you here the phrase " christmas in July" lol. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-18          59784

"Hallelujah!!! Congrats! I know you will be up at the crack of dawn waiting for it tommorow. Have you looked at the owner's manual online so you will have it all down when it arrives? ;o) Enjoy!"

Looked at it.... I darn near memorized it. :)

Hey Chief, you're the one who got me to look at the 790 in the first place. I'll give you my first status report by tomorrow evening. :) I'll post some photos as soon as possible. I took some "before" photos of my property this afternoon.

DocsKnotInn "Now you know what they mean the next time you here the phrase " christmas in July" lol.

Do I have to go to bed now or else Santa won't come?

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-18          59786

I looked and looked and could not find Deere owners manuals online. Can you guys give me some direction on where to look? ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-18          59787

Here is the manual, there are 2 check your serial # and PIN#.
...oops try again it is listed n this page under manuals

for some reason I can't get this to work this is the main new product page se for Advantage compact tractors choose 790 and from the next page and you will see the manual heading.

Got it now! ....

Link:   Manuals

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-19          59810

Mark, here ya go buddy! This is for the 790 but I will see if they list the 4100. ....

Link:   Link to 790 Manual

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-19          59811

Mark, here is the list of all they have. Didn't see the 4100. Sorry! ....

Link:   Link to John Deere Online Manuals

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-19          59813

Thanks, that got me where I wanted to go. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-19          59814

More than welcome! Glad to be able to help you out for a change. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-19          59827

Since I last posted on the other board I got some more time to play with the 790. The thing is great. I got alot done and the machine worked great. My FEL skills...err...let's say stink. I RM abotu 3 cares of pasture and about a 1/2 acre of mess. The tough stuff was easy even if I did munch a few stumps and rocks :) This was my worst area so after this the sailing should be smoother.

Also got the opportunity to experience the "pucker factor". I was going through a real tough patch of 7' high growth and the front end nose dived and slid down and left leaving the tracto pointed down and listing pretty bad. I surveyed the situation and thought about getting off and pulling myself upright with my F350 but instead I shut down the RM and 4 wheeled out in reverse with the wheels cranked the other way. It worked out fine but I realize that things can go wrong quickly. Like I said this is my worst spot and it is too brutal to walk and there are a few hidden obstacles so I'll take it extra slow.

This tractor is fun! ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-20          59838

F350, how do your like the power curve on the 790? I've added some weight to mine it really seems to help with the power to weight ratio. the beast always seem to run out of traction far before power.be careful with finding hidden holes, keep that lap belt tight and enjoy. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-20          59841

It will surely run out of traction first. With the FEL is the only time I have spun the tires, while trying to push a pile(huge pile of horse manure) The tractor sails through the brush and never bogs even when I cut some nasty stuff. Only time I got it to drop RPMs is when I found a fallen and hidden tree :)

Now for the suprise I got a slighly smaller motor with less HP :(

JD had been posting 2 sets of HP #'s and now we know why. The tractor comes w/ a #TNE82A-JK not a 3TNE84 now. It is 27hp not 30 and is 83 cu" vs. 91 cu". I was a little ticked that JD can't get ther literature straight and that the slaesman either isn't informed or failed to notify me of the change.

I love the tractor and it has plenty of power so I can't complain. Is more than enough tractor for my daily chores and is also more tahn capable of the original task of reclaiming some fields.

Although I will complain Monday morning to the dealer because it IS something that I should have been made aware of. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59847

Missing a horse power rating by 10 percent on a new tractor is unforgivable in my book.

It is a critical component in the decision on which tractor to buy and that horsepower change could make a major difference in the selection of pto powered implements. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-07-20          59851

Don't get me wrong I am not pleased but

1. the other 3 tractors I considered were more $ or the same $ and the same or less HP than I currently have

2. I gave it a good workout and it passed

I will be talking to the dealer Monday but what are my options? Cut of my nose to spite my face and return the tractor then by something I like less?

I will say it again JD's ad department is horrible. They quote 3 diff motors, 2 diff HPs. They need to get some technical people to have some input and approval power forall ads before publishing! ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59853

I didn't mean to suggest that you return the tractor if you are happy with it, but rather that you hold someones feet to the fire until you get an answer.

My concern would be that someone, and maybe even a dealer, would size a brush hog on the large size (6 ft) based on the higher horse rating and then the buyer might experience problems running it in the real world. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59854

This might be even more screwed up:

Manufacturer John Deere
Model 790
Engine Manufacturer Yanmar 3TNE84
Aspiration Natural
Cylinders/Displacement, cu. in. (liters) / 81.2 cu. in. (1.3L)
Cylinder Liners Cast in Block
Standard 6.3 (24)

Performance
Advertised PTO HP (kW) at Rated RPM 24 (17.6kW)
Standard PTO at Eng RPM 24 (17.6kW)
Maximum at Eng RPM 24 (17.6kW)
Engine Gross HP(kW) at Rated Speed 27 (20.1kW)

Copied from the web page.

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59855

Manufacturer John Deere
Model 790

Engine Manufacturer Yanmar

Model Number 3TNE84

Type 4-Cycle Diesel

Gross Horsepower at 2600 rpm 19.6 kW (26.2 hp)

Manufacturer's Estimated PTO Horsepower 17.6 kW (23.6 hp)

Cylinders Three

Rated Engine Speed 2600 rpm

Operating Range 1000 - 2810 rpm

Engine Torque at Rated Speed 68.9 N·m (50.8 lb-ft)

Displacement 1.5 L (91.5 cu in.)

Bore and Stroke 84 x 90 mm (3.31 x 3.54 in.)

Compression Ratio 18.5:1

From one on-line op/manual ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59856

Manufacturer John Deere
Model 790

Engine Specifications
Make Yanmar

Model Number 3TNE84-JK

Type Diesel

Gross Horsepower 22.4 kW ((30 hp)

PTO Horsepower 18.6 kW ((25 hp)

Operating Range 925-2810 rpm

Engine Torque at Rated Speed ( 73.4 N·m (54.1 lb-ft)

Displacement 1.5 L ((91.3 cu in.)

Cylinders 3

Bore and Stroke 84 x 90 mm ((3.3 x 3.5 in.)

Compression Ratio 18:1

From another, older op/manual on line.

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-20          59857

Here, this should make it more confusing!

John Deere 4310 2WD Compact Tractor (32 hp)

Engine Manufacturer Yanmar 3TNE84

Aspiration Natural

Cylinders/Displacement, cu. in. (liters) 3 / 92 (1.5)

Cylinder Liners Cast in Block

Standard 10 (37.85)

Performance

Advertised PTO HP(kW)at Rated RPM 27 (20) / 25(19) at 2600

Official PTO HP (kW) at Rated RPM 27 (20) / 25(19) at 2600

Standard PTO at Eng RPM 27 (20) / 25 (19) at 2600

Maximum at Eng RPM 27 (20) / 25 (19) at 2600

Engine Gross HP(kW) at Rated Speed 32 (24) at 2600

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-20          59871

Ya I would call up and and let them have an ear full, they should of let you know that. when I got mine I was told they bumped up the HP in that model in 2000, well I guess there going back to the older motor or something. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Georgia790
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-08-21          62399

Your not the only one that got snooked by John Deere, I too was told my 790 was a 30hp and found out the hard way it was a 27hp or 26.2hp engine. Even my operators manual specs listed mine as a 30hp. I'am now twisting my dealers arm to obtain a correct Manual. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-21          62400

At least I have the right manual :)

I am actually very happy with the tractor despite the rough start we got off to with the HP confusion. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-08-22          62496

maybe this is to simply of a thought but has anyone hook there tractor to a pto dyno and checked the horsepower? my dealer assured me the tractor wold make 30 hp at the pto.
i have a 790 with a 419 fel and all i can say is what a machine.this tractor is incredible. i picked it up 2 weeks ago and it has done everything i have asked of it. it will bush hog at a rate i thought was impossible. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-23          62499

It isn't that they changed the rating of the engine, it is a different model engine with smaller displacement and less rated HP.

Now wether it makes 30 HP in the real world rather than the 26 or 27 now stated is another question. I also agree that this thing is a beast. I have gone through terrible stuff with it and have never seen the RPMs move more than 50 down. I read posts where guys with diff. tractors complain about their machines bogging, this tractor will (in my opinion) destroy the LX5 cutter long before it runs out of power. It is good in long grass and the thick stuff, I even mowed some rocks and dirt....oops and it kept chugging :)

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
plots1

2003-08-23          62510

Liljoe, it might be a 30 hp motor but I think the pto will only spool up to 25 hp at best, with that being the min. for a five foot cutter. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-23          62530

Well, the link to the John Deere 790 manuals online is down, so maybe they are making changes to them. To further make things clear as mud, here is even more info. on hp and torque. Not sure how accurate they are or where they got this info. but lots of specs. none the less! ;-) ....

Link:   JD 790 Specs.

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
Chief

2003-08-23          62531

The latest online 790 manuals say:

790 Serial No. (190064 - )

Make Yanmar

Model Number 3TNE84-JK

Type Diesel

Gross Horsepower 22.4 kW ((30 hp)

PTO Horsepower 18.6 kW ((25 hp)

Operating Range 925-2810 rpm

Engine Torque at Rated Speed ( 73.4 N·m (54.1 lb-ft)

Displacement 1.5 L ((91.3 cu in.)

Cylinders 3

Bore and Stroke 84 x 90 mm ((3.3 x 3.5 in.)

Compression Ratio 18:1

Lubrication Pressurized

Oil Filter Single Element

Air Cleaner Dry Element

Starting Aid Air Heater

On 790 tractors PIN (592446 -)

Manufacturer Yanmar

Model Number 3TNE84

Type 4-Cycle Diesel

Gross Horsepower at 2600 rpm 19.6 kW (26.2 hp)

Manufacturer's Estimated PTO Horsepower 17.6 kW (23.6 hp)

Cylinders Three

Operating Range 1000 - 2810 rpm

Engine Torque at Rated Speed 68.9 N·m (50.8 lb-ft)

Displacement 1.5 L (91.5 cu in.)

Bore and Stroke 84 x 90 mm (3.31 x 3.54 in.)

Compression Ratio 18.5:1

Cooling Type Liquid

Lubrication Pressurized

Oil Filter Standard Single Element

Air Cleaner Dry Type w/ Safety Element

Starting Aid Air Heater

Looks to me like a very similar if not the same engine but perhaps have derated it. Anyway, this should make things clear as mud now. I guess I would prefer to have a low serial # engine. ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
liljoe

2003-08-23          62557

i am not sure about that i use a 5 foot cutter in 3 foot grass going up hill (big steep hills) in 4 wd in 6th gear and the tractor goes through it like its not even trying hard. it might lose 50 rpm but never more. this machine is incredible. manufactures have been give bogus hp rating for years on tractors and cars for many different reasons (insurance -federal and state emissions laws) so until someone takes the time to dyno one i wont believe any printed info. joeo ....

790 finally arriving

View my Photos
F350Lawman

2003-08-24          62561

Does everything I need it too.

Today one of my neighbors who also owns horses but has no tractor comes by and says "you think you should have gotten something bigger, how much are 35 or 40 horsepower tractors?". Then I moved a pile of trees I had just removed, it consisting of 2- 18" tree trunks and about 5- 6" trunks all about 20' long. I didn't even really try and just bulldozed the pile across the yard. He said " I guess it's good enough" :) He was suprised, these were heavy ash trees.

Unless I spin a wheel I am good to go. My new weight box has made wheel slippage a much lesser problem. Tracotr feels very stable even working on slopes with the weight box skimming the ground ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login