Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
trailmaker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-07-05          58906

Hi guys,

I am new to the board and am very impressed with the info. I have read. It looks like there is some sound advice here.

I am currently looking at the 2210 to maintain my walking/hunting trails as well as road bank mowing and yard mowing. I am curious to the success any of you have had with the machine. I really like the small unit so my wife can help out with mowing the yard but also like the versatility of handling a brushcutter, etc. How would it handle a 5' brushhog? Do I dare buy one without a loader? Has anyone got the dozer blade on it? Input muchly appreciated. trailmaker

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-05          58908

A lot of guys are talkin highly about the 2210 ,but she don't have a lot of ground clearnce for trail work in the timber. something to think about. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-07-05          58909

5' bush-hog, never! Try something bigger or scale down your work a little. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58914

Four foot bush hog would be maximum I think, seems like I saw a 42 incher sized for the BX series somewhere.

If so that would be even better.

You will need the FEL to counter balance the weight of the cutter, and I guarantee you will find plenty of uses for it.

I have never read a post here that said "gosh I am sorry I got a FEL, what a waste of money". ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
trailmaker

2003-07-05          58920

Thanks for the input thus far. My problem is this: I have a 5' brushhog but I don't have the funds for a larger tractor. I am looking for something to do lite work. Is it worth the extra money to get a larger tractor? I hate to get something that is too bulky for my yard, etc. I have ran the older 955 and it worked great with the 5' cutter. Is the 2210 that much smaller? I am having a hard time finding one to look at and test drive without making a day trip out of it. I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet and do a test drive. Any other advice? Thanks again. trailmaker ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-07-05          58938

Not sure of the exact size of a 955. A 2210 is in the same class as a Kubota BX, 55 inch wheelbase and 13-1400 pounds.

I think the minimum size green tractor to turn a 5 ft. hog would be the 4115 at 20 pto horses. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-06          58946

I Would think you would be better off selling the 5' brush hog on eBay or someplace and then buying a tractor that is suited to your needs. I use a 2210 solely for the woods. A dozer blade is out of the question in my opinion on the 2210 and probably would not be that effective on any size you are considering. The 4115 with FEL is roughly $4,000 more than a 2210. The 2210 will be hard to find in stock but in my area the 4115 is impossible to find in stock as it is not very popular in our area. Statisticly if money can be set aside I like the 4115. I seriously doubt on any of theese you are going to roll through the woods unhindered as you like. That certainly depends on your land though. I primarily use mine on trails that have been dozed. You certainly wont be plowing stumps with any of theese but as Mark mentioned the 4115 now is available with a backhoe, although I am sure it is not inexpensive. When I bought mine I capitulated a LOT about the cost of a FEL. I can honestly say I now consider a tractor without a FEL for MY needs, Useless. I use a rear blade on mine which is the one area of complaint I have on the 2210 so far. I believe the Rockshaft or 3pth on the 4010 series has pre-set drop adjustments. I think useing a rear blade and this adjustment you could set a rear blade to skim across the soil and level a area. On the 2210 when you drop it it goes all the way down and digs in. When you hit a soft area the blade digs in further and its not long before you are dragging so much dirt that you run out of steam or traction. Other than that I love the 2210 and I am a fan of not haveing a machine bigger than what is required to do the job. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
trailmaker

2003-07-06          58952

Thanks guys. You definately gave me something to think about. I can see I need to do more fine tuning before I buy.
Thanks again,
trailmaker

DocsKnotInn, Are you very satisfied with using your 2210 in the timber? ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
Chief

2003-07-06          58962

trailmaker, if you have budget constraints (and don't we all) the John Deere 790 4wd should fill the bill and be able to easily handle a 5' rotary cutter. It a great but not fancy tractor that is suited to a variety of tasks. May be what you are looking for. If you are going the other way. The 4310 or 4410 would be a better choice for the 5' rotary cutter, but your budget may not accomodate those models. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-06          58975

I am overall estatoc with the performance of the 2210. It is a fantastic machine fore the price. If I were to do it again I would go with a 4115 or a 4210 but those are definately more expensive. I do not care for the 790 but if it fits you it is certainly worthy of consideratin, cost being a MAJOR factor. My woods are relatively flat, so It works great and I also primarily work off spots that have been dozed. In the area of my hunting property you can get a lot of dozeing done at a VERY cost effective rate. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
plots1

2003-07-06          58978

I had a dozer in for clearin fence lines $75 a hour with a 3hr min. guy had a D7 and he could do a lot in an hour with that beast. not to bad on price. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
trailmaker

2003-07-06          58982

Thanks very much guys. I am definately leaning toward the 2210 with the 210 FEL and MMM. I am going to take your advice and trade in the 5' cutter. I am confident the small CUT will do the job I need. Thanks again. trailmaker

P.S. I will post pictures of my new machine when I get it. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
DennisCTB

2003-07-06          58985

Trailmaker,

The 790 and 990 are real big Tractors and they are old design machines, while the Kubota BX and Deere 2210 are just a slight bit larger than a good quality Garden Tractor, but with 4WD and 3ph and hydraulics.

Old design means the Deere 790 and 990 do not have flat floors among other creature comforts, but instead have a big hump in the middle, this makes it tough to swivel in your seat to go backwards. If you run a flat floor tractor with a Hydro you won't want that old hump for sure.

You never said how much you will be mowing, and if finish or brush.

In my opinion anyone thinking of brush cutting should be thinking of tractors that have the normal ratio of front to rear tire size that the sub compacts do not have, and better ground clearance

If I were you I'd give it some more thought and demo a few of these small frame compacts like the the kubota b7500 and the Deere 4115. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
David Doss

2003-07-06          59001

I recently purchased my 2210 with the 210 loader, and am glad I did so. Have used it a great deal moving dirt and leveling my lot. I don't know about the 5' brush hog, but I purchased a 60" box scaper rather than a 48" which was recommended, and the tractor has had plenty of power to handle it. I would think you should be able to check horse power requirements for your unit? I also purchased mine with a 62" mid mount mowing deck. It has done everything I could have ever expected of it. ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
wisconsinguy

2003-07-07          59081

Hi
I've had the 2210 for a few months and it has done everything I need and more. I have a 48 inch JD LX4 cutter and it handles it fine, plenty of power. You need the loader or front weights for the brush hog. I think the power of this little tractor may surprise you, why not try the 5 foot hog as long as you have it, as long as it is not too heavy for the 3 point to lift. It may work fine if you are not in real heavy brush or grass. I rented a 50 inch tiller and the rental place laughed when I told him what I was gonna use it on, he said they put it on a 40 horse tractor. Well it worked great and I tilled about an acre with no problem, power didn't seem to be an issue. My 4 foot cutter doesn't seem to load the engine much at all, but I haven't been in real thick stuff yet either,

later
Phil ....

Hot for 2210 JD

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-07-07          59082

I have a frontier 50" tiller and the 2210 handles it with ease. It probably weighs about 400#. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login