Go Bottom Go Bottom

tractor won t move

View my Photos
abbeyroad154
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-06-02          56372

I have a new JD4710 with 27hrs. with eHydro. I was discing my field with 6.5ft. of width and maybe after almost an hour the tractor quite moving. The tractor was operated in low range, maybe 20,000 RPMs on relatively flat ground but the ground was rough (up and down) after the plowing (trans. groaning). I added some weight to the discs(6 blocks)and I'm thinking maybe the weight was too much. Perhaps the trans. was over-heated and just stopped till cooled. The trans. oil is difficult to read with the fluid almost clear. I may try adding some and see if that is the problem. Does it use trans. fluid whem stressed? Any suggestions?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

tractor won t move

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56373

I think it is those dang switches and computers again.

Seems like Billy Passmore had a similar problem but I can't remember the fix.

If he doesn't catch this thread you can pull up all of his posts in the archives. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-06-02          56376

Did you try restarting the tractor and trying it again. If it works like normal more than likely the trans. controller is the problem, it will behave like this. You should be able to look at the rear sight guage on level ground to see if you have the proper trans. fluid level. Was the little light on the fenders switch area flasing? Note the flashes, if it is, it is telling you a malfunction code. Manual says the fluid level could be low or the suction side filter is clogged. I hate to state the obvious and it is not like I haven't done it too, but did you check the trans range shift lever to make sure you did not knock it into neutral by mistake/ <;o) Good luck & hope it is something simple. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
abbeyroad154

2003-06-02          56384

In reference to my tractor that won't move, I did shut the tractor off and then restarted it and it still won't move. I shut it off and let it sit briefly and started it again. It moved for a short distance and then quit. This happened a few more times, but later won't move again. I let it sit for 30 or so minutes and tried it again and nothing happened. Later it moved a short distance and quit again. The light on the fender is flashing, so it may be low on fluid. Maybe between the plowing and the discing, it used fluid. It thought it may be too new for replacing the suction filter. I'll add fluid tomorrow. Thanks, web ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-02          56393

I have a friend that had the same problem as you are having. The dealer had to replace the controller to the ehydro transmission. If you'll watch the Onboard Electronic Diagnostic System light when this happens, it will flash one long and 3 short (or 1 short and 3 long, I can't remember). When you turn the ignition switch off and back on, it resets the computer controller. After they changed this controller it hasn't missed a lick and that's been about a year ago.

tractor won t move

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-02          56416

abbeyroad154 -

As strange as it may seem, tractors such as yours and Billy Passmores friends also, are not the only victims of such a dilemma. I am very surprised that the manufacturer has not addressed this issue from a corrective action measure, rather than a component replacement avenue.

What is happening, is the electrical circuit in which your computer is sistered to, is causing a static charge build up within itself. Once the charge reaches a threshold of the various internal components,(usually realizing a +/- 10% variable amongst components), the static charge acts like a static bomb within the computer circuitry, and scrambles the "brain" functions. As the electronic components all vary with there respective tolerance levels, once they are heated, charged, and unfortunately in this case "zapped" by an unwanted charge of static electricity, the entire apple cart is upset, as this is a result of "electrical noise" within the circuit. Then, usually, the only remedy is to swap out the bad with a new "brain", as the old one would literally have to be descrambled and reprogrammed to original design specs. Certainly not something that will be enabled out in the pasture somewhere.

The ultimate fix for this particular phenomenon, would be to attach a grounding leg to the respective static building device, so as to immediately drain off the static charge / noise build up before system failure occurs. Sometimes, this feat is easier said than done.

This occurrence, unfortunately is found in virtually every piece of electrical apparatus. However, specific to electronic devices that have a low operating threshold of static induced noise.

FYI -

Willie H. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-02          56418

Maybe another fix is to not computerize tractors in the first place, or bowling balls, or gun triggers. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-02          56421

I agree with you Mark. Some things should just be left alone to function as they were intended to from the gitgo.

My neighbor recently lost a key to his bottom of the line 2003 Ford ranger pickup. He thought that he could go down to the local hardware store and have another copy made...WRONG!
$125.00 later from a trip to the Ford dealer, he returned with his new ".99" key!

Willie H. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56432

Good grief thats an expensive key ! When I first got the Duramax I was paying $20 for the darn oil filters now I still buy AC delco filters at Murrays...$3.59 ! Now I just need to find a less expensive fuel filter, The dealer still charges $58.00. As much as I like the JD 10 series the one thing that left me scratching my head was all of those switched on the fender. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-06-03          56434

Mark,
Yeah I wonder how many of these computerized tractors will still be running in 20 years.

tractor won t move

View my Photos
WillieH

2003-06-03          56435

The real pisser about it, is, under a condition where the vehicle in question is worth a gazillion bucks, (anti) auto theft devices are warranted. But on a stripped down, Ford Ranger? C'mon...They certainly should offer an option.

Willie H. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56436

willie, Thats a hillarious email address. lol. Each time you go to the dealer you can feel your wallet shrink. Isn't it bad enough we are paying more for theese things than a lot of us payed for our first house ?? Man that sounds ancient but for me that was less than 20 years ago. It reminds of an attorney (dont get me started with lawyer jokes) that I had when I was younger. Every time I talked to this buffooon I would say hey hows it going ?....His reply was always the same..."I never felt better and had less." And I would think $%^& ! Now so do I ! ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-03          56442

I guess, if all else fails, you can always convert the 4000 TEN series back to the 4000? It's my understanding the hydros are the same except for it being electronically controlled. Just change it back to the way it used to be.

Just a thought. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56464

Doc, below is a link for Genos Garage. They have your fuel filters for $29.95. ....

Link:   fuel filter link

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-06-03          56470

Chief, Thanx for the tip. Even with shipping that's $13.00 a filter less than what I am paying at the dealer. Hopefully I never need a key. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56496

More than welcome. Later on we are gonna have to get you into the Cummins club Doc. ;o) ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Chief

2003-06-03          56497

Any word yet as to what the verdict is on the 4710. I am thinking it is the controller too but check all the other stuff first. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
abbeyroad154

2003-06-03          56527

I discussed the situation of the tractor not moving and they believe it could be one of the sensors. He also mentioned that he may have to bring a computer out and reprogram the controller for the hydro(not replacing it). They can't just replace it hoping that it will solve the problem. JD will not replace the cost to them if they find the part to be working properly. I'll keep you posted on the verdict. web. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Hatteraser

2003-06-03          56531

Owned a 4210 less then 50 hrs would not move.Dealer exchanged for new unit.1 hr later same thing.Returned machine. Saw dealer a month later, he said the problem was a sensor on the flywheel. Hope this helps ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
abbeyroad154

2003-06-17          57877

The tractor won't move problem was solved. They had to replace the MSWD sensor. Runs like a Deere now! web ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
Billy

2003-06-17          57880

Congratulations Web. Now what is this MSWD sensor? ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
plots1

2003-06-17          57882

Glad to hear replacing a bell got you whistleing agian,that's why I was unsure about all those fancy gismo's ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
abbeyroad154

2003-06-18          57932

The dealer said the sensor was sending an out of range voltage spec or short that the controller could or would not recognize. As a result, this would shut the transmission down. web. ....

tractor won t move

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-06-18          57943

That's amazing. This is a tractor. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login