Go Bottom Go Bottom

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-02          54169

does any body know of a aftermarket wheel weight set that would fit my 790 deere?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

wheel weights

View my Photos
BillMullens
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-05-02          54174

I don't know much about this product, but you might find the link interesting.
Bill ....

Link:   EZ-Weights

wheel weights

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-02          54179

fluid filling the tires with an anti-freeze solution (NOT NaCl) would be alot easier and cheaper. This is unless you have some unusual reason why you need weights and no fluid. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-03          54234

Plots, I think this is a great product. I plan on buying a set for my 4100. It is the same idea I used but much stronger.

Cheif..... any idea what a fluid filled tire for Plots 790 would weigh? My 4100 tires go well over 200# when filled and are a backbreaker to change. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Chief

2003-05-03          54235

I have the R-4 tires and each tire took about 55 gallons on my 4410. That comes to around 445 per tire. The 790 tires are not that much smaller. I would guess somewhere around 325 - 375 per tire. You are right about being a back breaker. I would not want to change one. The tires on my old Cub 154 Loboy were fluid filled and were the original tires. They lasted over 30 years. Knock on wood! ;-) ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
TomG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-05-04          54262

The merits of weights vs tire-fill sure has been discussed a lot. If I had to choose I'd use weights but I wouldn't like the price at all. The main advantage of weights is that they do come off, which may be important for people who finish mow but need more traction for other work. They also don't make a mess if there's ever a leak or corrode the wheels.

There also are a few fine points in favour of weights. A tractor handles better at road speeds without filled tires. The tread is less deformed and traction may be a bit better. There's less wear and tear on the tractor if weight isn't carried when it's not needed. As I say, mostly fine points, and the cost of weights really does put me off.

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-04          54274

mark,are you talking about the ez-weight web site? ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-05          54344

Yes, sorry. I was referring to the ez-weight web site. I am going to check prices and shipping tomorrow. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-06          54419

found the weights i'm going to use, dump truck brake drums,great fit with 115lbs per side.look at pics. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-07          54449

Plots - Forget the wheel weights. The picture of those truck brake drums made me think that with a bit of welding and another set of tires and rims, you could have the first JD790 with duals on the block. Now THAT would be one mean looking little tractor! ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-11          54643

it would only take 5 min. to bolt up some duals, providing I had another set of tires and wheels.don't know if the rear end has the beef to withstand it though. but it would take on a rugged look with the duals though. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
TomG

2003-05-11          54646

I think there's some pics in the archives where wheel weights were built using weight-lifting plates. I remember an old discussion where some were built from smaller brake drums that were filled with lead. Get the mounting secure and the balance in the ballpark and it should work just fine. At the price of factory weights, a person can afford to spend quite a bit of time tinkering.

If the tire valve stems are on the outside, I suppose that very large diameter weights might make checking tire pressures difficult.

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-11          54652

Plots, my only concern with using 115# brake drums would be the ease of changing a tire.

I get a lot more flats than others I guess and I don't want to have to call a tire service truck out to the house every time.

If you have a system in place to hoist the drums around then it might work out ok, except you might find you need more weight than the 115# per tire.

With the EZ weight system you could slap 4, 50# weight plates on each wheel with ease and tailor the amount of weights needed for specific jobs in just a few minutes.

I have an EZ weight kit on order that should be here the end of this week. I can give you an impression on the strength and usability when it arrives if you wish. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-11          54656

mark, the drums dont have to be removed to take tire on and off, and yes it is a bit heavier but really not a problem.your right though 115lbs per tire might not be enough for some jobs, but can add plates to drums easy if more is needed. I'm really trying to add weight for traction more than ballast for field work.but it will sure help some for ballast also.the ez weight system looks great but its still $135 for kit plus price of plates.right now I got $35 invested. (working with thin wallet).any cheap weight will sure help the torkey light weight 790. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-11          54659

Hmmmm.... They told me $44.95 plus $15 for UPS ground. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-11          54661

Plots - Just kidding about the duals (except it would look mean). I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you attached the "brake-drum weights" to the wheel disks on your 790. It's not obvious from the picture. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-11          54662

Mark - I'd be interested in hearing what you think after you take the EZ Weights for a test drive. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-11          54663

Plots - Just kidding about the duals (except it would look mean). I'd be interested in knowing exactly how you attached the "brake-drum weights" to the wheel disks on your 790. It's not obvious from the picture. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-11          54666

the drum fits snug against the four bolts that hold the outer rim ring on , then i used all thread in factory square holes on inner rim to hold in place. It's alined perfect the way it fits inside the four bolt holes on outer rim. look at pic. air valve is on inside of rim appling air is no problem. Its not the greatest thing since toilet paper or nothin but for $35 its going to be fine. ther is no play at all the way they mount between four outer bolts , had to push firmly into place I drove it around in yard before I installed allthread and they never moved,but allthreaded to be sure they never do move . ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Bernie Galgoci

2003-05-11          54675

Plots - Your pictures are worth a thousand words. Good job with the weights. I don't think you could beat the price. They look good, and you'll be able to easily add more weight if needed. I hope you don't mind if need be I steal your idea! ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Murf

2003-05-12          54719

Plots, if you need more than 115# per tire you could flip those drums over, bolt them back on and make weights to go inside the drums. Using a brake drum as a mold you could probably make a couple of concrete 'fillers' in an afternoon and add another couple hundred pounds to the existing setup.

Good looking job, it's always nice to see someone take pride in their work like that.

Best of luck. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-20          55162

The verdict on the EZ weight system is in, and it is a two thumbs up/buy it recommendation.

Much, much stronger than the system I devised and one hell of a lot easier to use.

I was able to put 150 pounds into each wheel recess (up from the 100# I was using) and I have a very civilized and much more useful tractor now.

Before anyone asks..... Deere sez 180# plus mounting hardware is the max recommended for my 4100. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-20          55163

was the price only 45 dollars as you posted before? ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-20          55166

$44.95 plus shipping, which in my case was $12.95

You back-east types would pay a bit less. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
plots1

2003-05-20          55167

good price, i'm guessin that was mounting hardware only, then you had to buy weight plates.glad to hear your happy, others will surely buy from them after hearin your post. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55628

Why not just go with the factory weights or ballast box ? I have been thinking about this also for work in the woods. I do not want to fluid fill the tires due to trailering. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
JerryG

2003-05-26          55634

That is a really good price. I had some made almost like the EZ-weights about 3-4 years ago and if I remember right, they cost about $60. I really like mine and would encourage anyone looking into wheel weights to either buy the EZ-weights system or make the hardware themselves. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-26          55655

If you priced the factory wheel weights, they are many times more expensive than EZ weights and bar-bell plates. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55657

I had never priced the factory ones. How much weight do you use ? ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-05-26          55659

JD gets $700+ for a full set of factory wheel weights, which for my 4100 would be 180# per wheel.

I am using 150# per wheel with the EZ weights. The plates cost 35 cents a pound locally. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
Misenplace

2003-05-26          55660

I was just looking at the web site. Pretty smart idea. I measured my spacers at 8.5" and I am going to give this system a go. Haven't had any problems yet. When I was figureing out the FEL I did a couple of holy cows. lol. I'd rather not repeat that in reverse in the middle of the woods. I probably have more than enough extra plates in the basement collecting dust. ....

wheel weights

View my Photos
stevenc

2003-05-31          56123

when you buy weights be SURE they are "aftermarket" a weight is a weight,,most are made in Idia,,and, on a 4x4,NEVER load the front tires with Methanol(excuse my spelling)Weights are fine, it if foolish to buy a brand name weight, just to get the brand name ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login