Go Bottom Go Bottom

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
harring02
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-04-21          53523

I have a 1983 JD and when its really cold one of the rear wheels freezes anybody know why.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-21          53526

I assume you are saying the whole wheel will not turn? Moisture/water in the brake drum?

Or 1 wheel freezes and it only has water in the tire for ballast?

Harvey

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
harring02

2003-04-22          53591

the wheel won't turn I have to lock the differential to move the tractor. It's locked up hard its also always the same wheel .How would water stay in the brake drum and how do you keep it out ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-04-22          53593

What model tractor is it? The brakes on most of this era JD CUT had brakes that were like normal dry drum brakes. The drum is turned toward the cover therefore if there is a leak in the cover or condensation the whole assembly rusts over time. The rust will jam the brakes out and therefore it will hang up.
Having said that your description indicates that something more may be amiss. If the one brake is jammed on the other wheel should spin and the tractor should move on its own or force it in a circle.
I would jack the suspect wheel of the tractor up and check if it will spin. From the description it would indicate that there is a problem with one propellor shaft or the differental pack.
Peters ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-23          53610

When I first read 'locked-up wheel' I thought that one rear tire was skidding along the ground. Now I'm not sure that's what is happening.

If a rear wheel isn't skidding and the steering is normal when the diff is locked then there's almost certainly something broken in the drive train to one side. If both rear wheels are raised off the ground with the TX in neutral and 2wd, when one tire is rotated by hand the other one should rotate in the opposite direction (assuming a conventional diff). If it doesn't than something is broken. However the test isn't conclusive because some failures leave enough friction for both wheels to rotate, but one side won't carry any load. Without the diff lock, the broken side is the one that receives power, so if the tractor just doesn't go, then that's likely what's happening.

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
Art White

2003-04-23          53611

With it only happening when cold it tells me it is a moisture problem some where. Now it could be in the brake if moisture got in there, but wouldn't they have figured out how to stop that by the time that tractor was built. That is not a new problem and was enjoyed by many manufacturers in the 40's and 50's and into the easrly 60's for american made tractors. There should be a type of drain for the drums that might be plugged or could it go deeper into a moisture problem in the differential? ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
murraym

2003-04-23          53655

Good to hear some one else with the same pbl. Mine is a655 with 1000hours and when I talked to previous owner he said he would change the oil in the whole case and that helped but not that much so my solution was to work it harder on the blower and it does not happen as often now . Any other solutions would be appreciated, but I really dont hear them and the problem hasn't got any worse with 300 more hours on the tractor. MDM ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
harring02

2003-04-24          53715

I guess I wasn't specific enough. I have a 1983 JD 650 with about 1000 hrs. When it's 30 degrees or colder the right rear wheel is locked up and the tractor tries to go to the right when I try to move the tractor. I lock the differtial and the wheel breakes loose,there doesn't appear to be any problem with the drive train as both rear wheels will spin when the differtial is lockedwhen pushing snow. ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-25          53750

Yes, I guess I did forget that it only happens in the cold and then the tractor returns to normal. I wonder if the tractor(s) are stored inside or out and whether they're left with the parking brakes set or not? I also wonder whether the oil appears milky or whether the problem is more prevalent if the tractors are operated in wet conditions or after a wet fall? ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
harring02

2003-04-27          53871

The tractor is stored inside and the fluid is not milky,nor is the tractor parked with brakes on.when the temp is above freezing it never bothers but when the temp is below freezing and has set over night the right wheel seems to freeze. It really doesn't feel like its the brake but maybe. I don't know if its fluid related because the hydrolics work fine. I was wondering if there was something else in the drive line that could freeze. Thank you for your time and input.
Byron ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
Peters

2003-04-27          53873

You probably have a leak in the cover gasket for the brakess and one brake has some rust/water building up on it and freezing the brake. I would pull the covers check the breaks and reseal them with new gaskets.
Art the set up of the 650-750 to 790 is about the same as the old 50's era tractors. I had a lot of problems with mine in terms of brakes. Which is one of the weak points of this tractor.
Peters ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
TomG

2003-04-28          53896

Peters comment sound like a good start for things to check. Most tractors have quite a few more things between the DIFF and the wheels than cars and I suppose something in the drive line is possible. I'm not sure it'd be very likely a moisture problem unless there was enough water for the oil to be milky. Water can get into the oil through bad seals in the shifters and that can affect tractors that are stored outside. Checking things in the drive line starts becoming a major tear-down. ....

frozen rear wheel

View my Photos
slowrev

2003-04-28          53909

Yes I think Peters has the most likely answer. It could also be water colecting in a low spot inside the tranny.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login