Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 870 - good first tractor

View my Photos
Tonyd99
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-03-02          50371

Hi all. I'm in the market for a good used first tractor and have located a JD 870 w/loader and backhoe. This unit has approx 600 hrs on it - what should I expect to pay? This one is a manual (not automatic) as I had hoped to find. But it's pretty close to what I need. I need both implements as I plan to push around some dirt and move some rocks. I also plan to buy a scraper, but figure its best to find a unit with a backhoe, and locate a scraper last. I'm also thinking hard about a TC29. I have looked in the past at some grey market Yanmars,(which seem to be a very good deal price-wise) but I'm concerned about support/parts availability. Any help/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-03-02          50373

You can Check on Machinerylink.com yourself. There is a 2 and 4 wheel models made and they were made for 8 years. I would say about 10K for the tractor, 2 K for the loader and 3K for the backhoe depending on the condition. ....

View my Photos
Tonyd99

2003-03-04          50460

Thanks for the reply! ....

View my Photos
EdC

2003-03-05          50584

I purchased an 870 in California last Sept. 1998 four wheel drive, 500 hrs, JD 80 FEL, hydraulic controlled box scraper.
I paid $12K and I love the 870 -- it is my first tractor and seems to be an optimum size -- any smaller would limit the ability to do useful work in my opinion. I am amazed at how much power is provided by 30HP when geared as these tractors are. Quite an impressive machine. Hope this helps. ....

View my Photos
Tonyd99

2003-03-06          50672

Thanks Ed, it does. Looks like I won't be able to cut a deal with this guy because he wants too much ($19k). This is for an 870 with 600 hrs, front loader and backhoe. I'm now talking to a guy about a NH boomer TC29 with loader, r-4's and only 66 hrs for $13k. I really like this board, lots of great stuff! Thanks again! ....

View my Photos
Tonyd99

2003-03-08          50768

Update. I decided to pass on the TC29. I was concerned about some of the discussion on this board about breakage of a NH tractor (in half) when used with a hoe. Also with some noise on reliability aspects.

So..I found a used 790 in the paper. Checked the board here, found pretty much lots of good experience with this tractor. Anyway I just returned from buying a harvest-return JD790 with only 40 hours on it. New FEL and box scraper with adjustable teeth. $13,950 plus tax ($15,000) out the door. 2 year warranty. Decent guy at the tractor store seemed like a good guy to know and was very helpful. I can tell he'll be a good resource when I need this unit serviced. Still a bit anxious about my first big-boy-toy purchase... Did I do alright guys? I putted it around the dealer lot... couldn't stop smiling. Anyway, love this board! Plan to ask LOTS more questions as I go along... ....

View my Photos
Ron L

2003-03-08          50771

Tonyd,
I beleive that you made a good decision. The 870 you mentioned earlier for 19k sounded alittle scary. At least you have a 2 yr warranty now. You can buy a brand new hoe for your 790 for arnd 5,500 and you'll still be money ahead, as compared to the 870 deal. heck, with 40 hrs on yours, it's not even broken in. I purchased my 790 2 yrs ago with no regrets. enjoy.....Ron L. ....

View my Photos
EdC

2003-03-09          50814

Nice buy Tony. I think the 790 and 870 are very similar in function and size. From my simple evaluation (based on general experience as opposed to tractor experience), with either of these models you are investing in steel and horsepower as opposed to lots of gimmicks found in the more feature laden models. The "gimmicks" are likely useful when tractors are used commercially but are not always a good return on investment for the occassional user on a tight budget. (Besides its fun to shift the gears etc.) ....

View my Photos
Tonyd99

2003-03-09          50819

Thanks for the positive feedback! I was a little bummed after I talked to the guy that wanted to sell me the TC. He stated that he could have sold me a JD790 for 2k less (ouch) and further that the loader for this unit was weak for what I want to do (move some rocks around) as well as push dirt. The loader that I bough is actually an SC 2406... anyone have experience with this loader? OH well, I think some of this is related to him not being all that happy about not buying from him... but its got me thinking regardless. ....

View my Photos
EdSea

2003-03-10          50878

Moving rocks around (depending on the size of the rocks of course) is a challenge to any compact tractor. My property has lots of large rocks and I occassionaly push a few into the loader and move them but serious large rock work is for a full size back hoe, not the size that will go on the tractors we are discussing. (A rock weighs about 50% more than a same size hunk of concrete.) At least thats been my experience after two years of developing this property. ....

View my Photos
MYDOGROY

2003-03-11          50968

Tonyd,
The salesman is just saying that he could have saved you 2k as to plant the seed of doubt with you. You've made a good decision. I shopped around for 1 year for my 790. I gave every salesman I spoke with a big headache.I was giving myself headache shopping around. I payed 15k out the door for 790/4wd/fel/ballast box. Tell that salesmen that said he could have saved you 2k,if ["if's and buts were candy and nuts what a wonder christmas we would have"].
Good luck Ron L.

View my Photos
Tonyd99

2003-03-11          51007

Thanks for confirming that I didn't COMPLETELY blow the kids college fund... and I hear ya on the headache. I've been on-again off-again shopping for something for about a year. Guess when I actually put my hands on one that made sense I just went ahead and went for it (partly to get rid of those headaches). On the rock work -- I'm lining a creek bed with granite boulders (50-350 lbs). I figure I can push around more than I can carry. SO, as I've done in the past with a smaller tractor, I plan to "skid-em" where I need to move the really big ones. This is nothing more than rolling the rock onto a piece of plywood (or better if a steel plate is available) and towing it with a very strong rope or chain. Trick is going to be (for the big ones) placing them where I want them when rolling them down into the creek. This is one of the reasons I'm hot on the trail (eventually) for a backhoe. NOT to pick these lunkers up, but just to move 'em around a bit. Again thanks for the great advice! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login