Go Bottom Go Bottom

e-hydro or PowerReverser transmission

View my Photos
spielman
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-25          48148

I currently own a 2001 jd 4300 with a hydro transmission. The tractor has about 450 hrs on it.I am looking to up grade to a 4710.I need a larger and more capable tractor for my landscape business.For the most part i have been happy with the performance of the hydro transmission.The main problem that i have found is with the amount of pressure it takes to depress the foot pedals.After working on the machine for 10 to 12 hrs i really feel it in my right knee.I talked to my local JohnDeere dealer and showed me the new e-hydro.The foot pedals were definitley a huge improvement over the older 4000 series.I just don,t like all those plastic buttons on the fender!My other concern is how reliable in the long term will all these electronics will be long term.My farmer friend has larger John Deere ag tractors and they all have enclosed cabs so i don,t think it is as much an issue as an open cabed machine.He told me that i should go with the power reverser transmission instead of the e-hydro for long term durabilty and reliability.What do you guys think?Any thougths and personal experiences with these two transmissions would be greatly appreciated.Thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-25          48154

I have a JD 4610 eHydro. I haven't had any problems so far. The topic of electronic switches have came up in other posts. No one has posted any problems. Below is a quote from another post. It may help you in your quest for knowledge.

"I guess I don't find it too surprising that the switches are holding up pretty well. Here's my thinking. First the PTO switch is the same one that has been used on the 4500-4700. Most of the other switches are the same general design as the cruise control switch that was used on the 4000 series. The only switch that looks new to me is the MFWD control switch. All the other switches have been on tractors and exposed to the weather for some time and I am not hearing of many problems here or from John Deere owners I know.

Also, I have learned from a mechanic that the only switch required to be in place for the eHydro to work is the PTO switch. If the PTO switch is not in place the safety logic won't let the engine run, but all the others can be missing and the tractor will still drive--you just lose the functions that the switch activate." ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2003-01-26          48214

I test drove a couple 4000 series hydros and basicly had the same experience with my leg and foot becoming tired, so I bought a 4300 12/12 reverser and have liked it so well that this past fall I orderd a 4310 with the 12/12 e-reverser ( you don't need to use the foot clutch to change directions, just flip the reverser lever, or you can still use the clutch if you want to. I did test drive a 10 series hydro, and the hydro petals are much better than the 4000 series, but wanted to keep both tractors alike plus I liked the lower cost. Being I've driven farm tractors all my life with the clutch being on the left and the brakes on the right it was just a more secure feeling in case of a panic stop situation. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-27          48248

I do like a hydro when doing turf work. To be able to drop the bucket and skim off 3" of sod to make installation of a concrete pad and never spin a tire on sod you don't need to disturb is a plus as it will cost you clean-up time. Different hydro's do require different pressure on the petal for movement. As long as you are in need of a different tractor now would be a good time to study and compare. ....

View my Photos
JohnR

2003-01-31          48493

Both the PowerReverser and eHydros are great tractors. The PowerReverser did not change much from the 4000 to the Ten series. Among the Deere folks I know, this transmission is considered highly reliable and durable. The wet clutches should last about as long as the tractor. The 4 gears in the main shift are synchronized and they shift really nice. It would be great if your dealer would let you try one out to see how it feels for the things you do.

I personally prefer the hydro, mainly because I like to control the ground speed while at full throttle. The load match function on the eHydro is also great when you are working the tractor hard. It keeps the engine operating near its peak horsepower. I have heard of an amazing demonstration that some dealers use where they have the customer push the front of a loader against their loading dock until the wheels spin. Then while still holding the foot pedal down, the customer is told to pull the throttle back to idle. The wheels keep driving. "Its like the tractor won't give up," I heard one guy say.

Since the eHydro has only been out a year, it is hard to judge long term durability, but I have had excellent experience and the few John Deere people I have talked to say that a few early software issues have been solved and the reliability of both the hydros and the TEN series tractors are greatly improved over the original 4000 series.
I also find it interesting that Deere uses the same hydro in the 4610/4710 and the 110 TLB and I have heard good reports from 110 TLB owners and operators. ....

View my Photos
Kyle_in_Tex

2003-02-01          48504

I have pressure washed my 4310 ehydro, switches and all (on purpose). No problems. I figure if a switch would fail from washing, I would want it to happen during the warranty period. They must be sealed, obviously, JD would'nt put unsealed switches in an AG environment. I would guess that UV sunlight would pose the biggest threat over time.
I like my hydrostatic, I can mow in between trees and other tight spots feathering the pedal with super precision. I use mine to mow weeds around the pond by backing down the slope and lower the shredder over the weeds. This would be much more difficult on the power reverser because when I take my foot off reverse pedal, tractor stops rolling downhill. Yes, it is a neck craning operation but the pond sure looks nice.
Good luck with your choice...Kyle

View my Photos
5-string

2003-02-01          48523

You pressured washed your switches on purpose to see if they would fail? Not a good idea. You obviously do not understand how most electrical switch failures occur. Switches typically fail due to corrosion that develops over time. If the switches are sealed, you probably broke the seal which will allow air to enter. The water in the air will condense and become trapped creating a perfect environment for corrosion. Have you ever wondered why some peoples double pained windows develop moisture between the two pieces of glass? Yep, they probably pressured washed the windows. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-02          48540

My windows look like that and I don't have a pressure washer.
But I do get rainstorms with 70+ mph winds and I don't keep the tractor in the garage.
The switches need to be designed to handle all that nature can normally dish out. And in my opinion, they shouldn't fail when you are hosing the mud off the tractor. ....

View my Photos
5-string

2003-02-03          48579

My last post was my first here and it is not my intention to begin with a confrontational tone. However, I do disagree with the thinking that it is O.K. to direct a 5,000 PSI stream of water at any electrical switches; hosing down a tractor is great. The energy of a rain drop travelling at 70+ MPH is miniscule compared to a pressure washer. I am not aware of any natural forces that can inject water/air through your skin and into your blood stream. I agree that the tractor should be able to with stand the elements, but I do not believe that the engineers designed for the energy produced by a pressure washer. The same is true for sealed bushings and bearings. The seal is intended to keep out contaminants such as dirt and free water, but the seal will not keep out a direct, high velocity stream of water. In this case, the seal now is actually detrimental - it is now holding the water in and promoting corrosion. Greasing a bushing serves to functions, it provides lubrication and the introduction of new grease displaces the old grease along with any suspended contaminants and water. With a sealed switch or bearing, there is no way to displace the water. If you aggresively wash down a tractor and point a stream of water (even if it is not from a pressure washer) at a bushing, I would grease it up when I was done. As far as the electrical switches go, the only way he would have gotten them to fail would have been to flood the case with enough water (assuming they are sealed) to actually short the contacts or to physically damage the switch. If a small amount of water was injected by the seal it is now trapped and will certainly promote corrosion within the switch.

As far as your windows go, the moisture that you see between the pains is probably not water that is being pushed in by the wind. The seal is damaged and air is allowed to enter. Since you heat your home, the cool air is warmed bewteem the pains and moisture is released. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2003-02-03          48583

No offense taken. Your opinions and experience are welcome here. What you say makes good sense. Mark ....

View my Photos
Kyle_in_Tex

2003-02-04          48696

You are right 5 string, when the tractor is out of warranty, I'll be more judicious with the PSI. I bet you never have problems with your bearings and bushings. Anyway, if you know anyone that wants an old Gold Star Banjo, I have one I'll sell that is about 20+ years old. Nice instrument. You could put more info into your profile. We tend to take people more seriously if they do.
My dealer told me to "USE THE TRACTOR, WE'LL FIX IT IF IT BREAKS" Actually, I am close to the dealer proximity wise and they sometimes use my feedback to help other customers. Most of my feedback is derived here on the net from fellow tractor folk. I must warn you though, this tractor speak is addictive...Kyle ....

View my Photos
5-string

2003-02-06          48774

Yep, that saga Gold Star is a nice banjo. I played one about a year ago; it had good action and was nice and crisp. Does it have the wreath inlay pattern on the neck? I have an early Gibson Mastertone that I am rather fond of.

My concern regarding the subject switches is that corrosion develops over time. If water was intorduced, it may be several years before the switch actually fails.

Yes, I plan on introducing myself and updating my profile. This is a great forum. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login