Go Bottom Go Bottom

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
jdfan
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2003-01-07          47095

THIS IS MY SENCOND 4310, NEVER HAD AN ISSUE WITH THE FIRST UNIT RELATED TO EHYDRO, HAD SEVERAL OTHERS

NEW UNIT DELIVERED 12/26/02, CHECKED THE PIP SITE NO PIPS LISTED

SEEMS LIKE A PHATHOM GRIPE BECAUSE IT HAPPENS SEVERAL DIFFERENT TIMES. I WILL BE WOKING WITH THE MACHINE, LET OFF ON THE GAS THEN GO TO PRESS IT AGAIN AND NO MOVEMENT FORWARD OR REVERSE. I NEED TO SHUT OFF THE MACHINE AND RESTART TO GET IT TO MOVE AGAIN.

DEALER CLAIMS HE NEVER HEARD OF THE ISSUE, TROUBLE IS I CANNOT DUPLICATE THE GRIPE AT WILL, IT JUST HAS TO HAPPEN ON ITS OWN.
I KNOW MANY OTHERS HAVE THE ISSUE, I TOLD HIM JUST REPLACE THE CONTROL MODULE BUT HE SAID DEERE HAS THEM CHECKING A PROPOSIONING VALVE AND OTHER ITEMS.

ISSUE REMAINS UNRESOLVED.

I ALMOST WENT WITH KUBOTA THE SECOND TIME AROUND BUT REALLY LIKE THE DEERE PRODUCT.

SUGGESTIONS?/

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-01-07          47096

If the dealer has talked to John Deere about it already, there's not much to suggest. You'll have to wait for the dealer or JD to figure out it's the controller. If you want, I can give you a name and number of a JD mechanic that fixed my friend's tractor. I doubt the dealer would call him though and it wouldn't do you any good to call.

Billy ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
DICK-W

2003-01-07          47120

Could tell me the address for the JD PIP site, I would like to check something out for my JD.

Dick ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
jdfan

2003-01-07          47123

http://www.deere.com/en_US/ag/servicesupport/pips.html?sidenavstate=00000000001000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000000

above site for pip ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
John R.

2003-01-08          47191

I agree with you that this sounds like a controller issue that is well known to Deere and has been solved for some time now. My employer's tractor exhibited these exact same symptoms and after the controller change there has been no problem at all. I don't know that your dealer will pay attention to a bunch of unkowns off tractor bulletin boards, but this has been discussed several times and the behavior of the tractor is described the same each time. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-09-08          63422

I am also experiencing a ehydro issue similar to your description. One symptom is you are motoring along, then the tractor suddenly STOPS dead (and I mean STOPS !). In other instances, you press the forward pedal and you get a 1 long flash on the malfunction light. Resetting the tractor (on/off), you still get a 1 long flash, and no movement. Eventually, fiddling around, turning on/off, using reverse/forward, the tractor moves again.

Have had the flywheel sensor PIP applied (bad sensors?), and a recent firmware upgrade and we recalibrated the ehydro (and replaced a faulty throttle position potentiometer). The problem just reoccurred again yesterday once so the gremlim is still there.

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
Chief
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2003-09-08          63423

Definitely sounds like a controller issue to me. Your dealer should be able to come out to you and reflash the controller or replace it. Not a big deal, or at least it should not be. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
plots1

2003-09-08          63424

Thats what's bad about haveing all the bells and whistles. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-08          63425

That's what worries me about the electronics in these things. Of course mechanical systems break too, but they tend to be easier to diagnose and they usually either work or not. Does anyone know what the one long flash code means? It may be a flakey safety switch. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-09-16          64086

(Partial cross post from other thread on Tech Manuals)
The technician first updated the tractor with PIPs to
fix the intermittent stalling problem; during the update, he had to refer to the 'printed' manual he had to determine what to diagnose when the tractor refused to do anything after the first controller update (turned out he needed to calibrate the transmission; but calibration failed, and we ended up using
my multimeter to diagnose the throttle potentiometer was out of specification; he went back to the shop, stole a throttle potentiometer off a demo tractor, replaced mine, and then got a different flashing code. Eventually figured out
that during calibration steps, he was lifting himself off the seat to determine when the rear wheels started to turn (a step during the calibration) and this triggered the 'no one in seat' sensor that interrupted the calibration phase: moral for any budding technicians out there: during calibration - stay in the seat !
The whole exercise was interesting to help with but alas, didn't solve the
intermittent stalling problem; tractor is now in the shop having multiple updates, harnesses changed (at last call, they were waiting for another harness to replace). This is under warranty, but eventually I'll have to do this myself given the time it takes to diagnose something, I won't be able to afford the hourly labor rate to let them diagnose; I'd rather diagnose, then pay them to just fix the problem.

I'll post (if I find out) all the PIPs they applied when I finally get my tractor back (hopefully Thursday - I have a pile of dirt to move before the hurricane :) hits southern ontario ...)

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kadorken

2003-09-24          64792

Update on repair:

Received tractor back; apparently (according to a note from the mechanic) not only did he install all PIPS applicable, but was instructed to change all wiring harnesses as well (by Deere). My fuse box had a broken fuse slot (for the work light) and that was replaced as well.

I have a theory on the 1 long flash code that I had been receiving before. When you first start the tractor, you receive one long flash that I now attribute to the 'startup' code in the computer controller (this is all hypothesis !). When I was receiving one long flash during operation of the tractor (when it would freeze forward motion), this may have been the computer being 'reset' internally due to a power interruption possibly due to a bad electrical connection.

This is just a guess.

The tractor has operated flawlessly on return for over 5 hours of grass cutting over 2 days; the grass was getting out of hand since the tractor was gone over 10 days.

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-09-24          64794

Your theory seems to make good sense. As a software engineer I've seen several buggy products where the problems were caused by unexpected processor resets. Funny thing is, one of the products had been shipping for a couple of years before the bug was discovered! It usually worked in spite of the defect.

Hopefully that fixes you up for a long time! Thanks for reporting back. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
Chief

2003-09-25          64804

Thanks for getting back to us and posting your update. Great to hear that the dealer got your tractor back to you in good working order. Hopefully your machine has been properly exercised of its bugs and will be trouble free fron this point on. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
Art White

2003-09-25          64852

Might be a good thing to throw at the dealer when buying to not let you be down more than four days. Our goal is 5 days maximum. If we pick up with a unit down(lawn partially mowed) we are sending mowers if available to finish. ....

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
DH1983

2003-10-01          65270

My 4310 will be out of warranty in a few months,my concern is that the EHYDRO has about a 1.5 second delay going from
forward to reverse or reverse to forward,seems to get worse
the longer you work the trans.It has always been this way
since new,maybe its normal but I hope they have a update
for this problem since mine is a early build 4310.Tractor
has been great other wise. One other question..I am going
to build a snow bucket for my 430 loader,how wide should
I make it?I don't use chains.I was thinking 72"-78" I use
a 8'landpride blade on the 3pt. thanks

4310 EHYDRO ISSUE

View my Photos
kwschumm

2003-10-01          65271

I'd advise getting your dealer to fix your 4310 while it's still under warranty. It should not have this hesitation when changing direction - mine doesn't. If your dealer gives you any static that "they all do it" just ask them to test drive a new one. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login