Go Bottom Go Bottom

Used 4300

View my Photos
bonecutter1
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-12-21          46409

Hello All!! I'm new to the message board. This is a great forum and I think some of you might be able to answer a couple of questions for me. I just bought a used JD 4300. The tractor is VERY Clean with newer 430 loader and 150 hrs. I paid $13,000... I didnt think that was to bad a price.. The JD serial# LV43005231077...

1) I was hoping someone could tell me if this unit has the front axel with all the problems? Or was it already resolved when this unit was built?

2) The dealer thought it was a 1999. Is that accurate?

3) Does the serial number show any major issues in the tractors past?

Anything you folks could tell me would be helpful :)

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Used 4300

View my Photos
DICK-W

2002-12-21          46414

Sounds like you got a great deal on your rig. I also have a used "99" JD 4300 tlb that I am trying to find out about the front axle issue. My dealer did'nt seem to know to much about it, but said it is probably a "fix on fail" type deal. I hope this is not true cause my warranty runs out in 3 months. Does any one know about these types of repairs that shuold be done before warranty runs out and how to get dealer to do it. ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-22          46423

Morning Guys

There are 3-4 PIPS (product improvement Programs) for those tractors if I remember correctly, depending on hydro or reg trans. I do not think the axle was one. If the axle bothered they would replace it. To tell the difference is: the new ones only have 1 hyd cylinder toward the right side and a tie rod back to the left side. IE; two ball joints at wheel on the right and only one on the left. The older style had two cylinders, one to each wheel.

Your dealers service manager can look up in his data base all PIPs avaiable and any work that has been done by JD. JD will do the PIP if it is needed in that tractor because of use. Generally axles were replaces on tractors with turf tires automatically with the majic word "SCUFF".

The old axles are not weak non are they prone the break. It is a turning issue with mowing on lawns.

Harvey ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
Deere4410

2002-12-22          46428

I recommend you check to see if the MFWD axle has been changed to the new style. If not, and the machine is still under warranty, then you should ask for the replacement axle. If you are mowing with tractor you will experience turf tearing no matter how careful and slow you are in the turns. I had a 4600 with the old style axle (and a 4300 prior to the 4600) and the difference between the two axles is substantial. Deere was still working on a resolution to the problem when I traded the 4300 for the 4600. I only agreed to purchase the 4600 when the dealer got a committment from Deere that the new axle would be installed if I requested. I used the 4600 for about 6 weeks (mainly mowing) and experienced all the turf ripping problems that I had with the 4300. I had the new axle installed on the 4600 and could not believe the difference. On the dealer's lot I could tell the difference immediately. The old MFWD axle would throw rock in turns even at slow speeds. The new axle exhibited none of the problems. THis is in two wheel drive, not four wheel drive. The stigma of the front axles will haunt the 4200-4700 tractors forever. If you trade the tractor with the old style axle you should expect a dealer to factor the old axle into his trade price. The tractors that have the new style axle will be easier for your dealer to sell. Bottom line, it is your best interest to have John Deere replace the axle. John Deere is responsible for the poor design and fortunately, stood behind their customers and fixed the problem. They were a little reluctant at first but came through in the end. ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
DICK-W

2002-12-23          46498

Deere 4410
Thanks for the advice , but I am a bit confused (which doesnt take much). You mentioned the MFWD axle problem of the 4300 in your reply. I thought the MFWD was the 4 wheel drive type, because farhter down in your reply you said this is in the 2WD not 4 WD that has issue. Please help me.

Harvey
Do you know if the dealers are required do do these PIPS
My dealer said he thinks they are on a fix on fail basis, which I dont like cause I only have 3 months left on warranty,cause guess when they will fail (3 months and 1 day)

Used 4300

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-12-24          46518

Morning Dick

My understanding of the PIP is: If you have a problem even after the warranty runs out JD will fix it. I would have to recheck but I do not believe the axle is a PIP, but it may be.

The axle issue is "BLOWN WAY OUT OF PROPORATION". That said: I do not know if it will affect a trade in. The old style axle is very solid and reliable. THE ONLY PROBLEM with it is the scuffing because of the turning geometery in the wheels. As was mentioned if you have a 4wd and operate it in 2wd and make a sharp turn the outside tire will over steer and scuff. If you have a tractor with R-1 or R-4s you will really have to WHINE at JD to change the axle, magic phrase is "SCUFFUNG MY LAWN when I mow". If you have R-3s and mow they change the axle no problem (according to my JD service guys) because of the scuffing issue.

Again A lot depends on your dealer and their desire to service your needs/wants.

If you have registered with JD you should have access to all PIPs, parts, etc. That is according to the rumor. I sit down with the service guys and see their web site, it do not look like ours... ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
bonecutter1

2002-12-25          46566

Merry Christmas, and thanks for the feedback guys. I have my dealer on the case. (I dont want to bug them to much as they have been real good to me so far). So, if they come back to me and say I'm
"SOL" than I will have to take Harveys advice and cry to John Deere.. The fact of the matter is that I bought the rig used and it warranty was over a few months ago im sure. Thus, I will have to cry an awful lot. But I can try and pull the "loyalty card" with them as I have owned Deere equipment for several years.

At any rate, did anyone figure out if the year "1999" matches the serial number? I still never verified that. ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
DICK-W

2002-12-26          46605

bonecutter1
My dealer was the one who was able to tell me what year mine was by the serial #, when it was placed in service and pips that were done to it. I found out mine is a 1999
but was not placed in service until 03/01. Thats when the 2 year warranty starts is what I was told by my dealer.

Used 4300

View my Photos
hardwood

2002-12-26          46609

I think the only mfwd axle problem was scuffing the turf with the old style. My 4300 has the new style axle. I have a 430 loader and a 48 backhoe on it and have had no problems other than a defective bypass valve in the hydraulic system. warranty took care of that and no problems since. Nice little rig. ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
Deere4410

2002-12-27          46613

Dick, What I meant in my reference to the scuffing problem happening in two wheel drive mode was make sure you know the problem was not related to four wheel drive operation. In four wheel drive every MFWD axle is going to scuff as the tractor goes through its turn. Its just part of the geometry of different size wheels all engage trying to move in an arc. But in two wheel drive the front wheels should be able to move without the scuffing problem. John Deere demonstrated that with the new style axle. I agree with one of the other posts to the extent the scuffing problem was overblown if you didn't your the tractor on turf. Loader/backhoe operators that seldom operated on grass never had much of an issue. But those of us who use the tractors to mow (I did some custom mowing with mine) you have to slow to a crawl in the corners and use about 30% of the steering angle to avoid ripping the customer's turf. This required several front to rear cycles using the limited steering angle to avoid the problem. The 855 I traded on my 4300 was actually more productive mowing despite the fact it wouldn't turn as short as the 4300. In reality, it actually turned shorter because you could use the full turning capability. I don't want to beat a dead horse on this issue but my opinion remaind unchanged. Get Deere to replace the axle if you can. ....

Used 4300

View my Photos
DICK-W

2002-12-27          46630

Deere 4410
Thanks for the help on the front axle issue. It sounds like I should have it replaced I guess. My main intention for this machine which has a 48 BH and a 430 FEL is for trenching water,gas and electrical lines in backyards of homes and other tight places where I want to do least possible damage to peoples yards. I have rented almost every type of equipment you can imagine for this type of work and this machine works perfect for this. So obviouslly I will be making hard turns during backfilling
and not want to do any more damage to yard if it can be avoided. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login