Go Bottom Go Bottom

4410 with a hoe any experience

View my Photos
Jack P
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-11-11          44876

I am looking at a couple of tractors and a hoe is a must. Kubota and Deere each have their 9' models and a range of tractors that they fit. Although the JD 4410 specs the 48 hoe as appropriate, the tractor is at the low end in terms of weight for this hoe. My questions are these: 1) Does anyone have any experience with this combination and feel that the rig is too small for this fairly powerful hoe? 2) What if anything is gained (in terms of hoe use) by going to a larger tractor?

Thanks in advance

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-11          44891

Jack, I have a 4700 with a #48 and would not think of putting it on a smaller frame of the 45,46 or 4700 or 10 series sized tractors. #1 the 48 weights in at about 1500lbs and #2 the hoe can toss the rear of my 4700 around like it was a toy. I think wear and tear would come to mind if considering a smaller frame size.

David

View my Photos
dually

2002-11-11          44899

I have a 4400 with a 48 backhoe. It works fine. Maybe its more powerful attached to a larger tractor, but I wouldn't expect its break out capacities, etc .to change. My 48 digs our clay soil like a champ, but it takes a while to dig out much of a stump. This hoe is great for what it is... a small hoe. Hooked to a 4700 ??? too much tractor ....

View my Photos
jdc

2002-11-12          44902

Jack,

I also have a 4400 and the 48 hoe. Having used the combo to dig several tons of boulders and large stumps, I concur with Dually, the 4700 seems like it'd be way more tractor than hoe. (Although I must admitt that I'd wish I'd gotten a 4700 just to have use of the bigger 460 loader).

On many occassion I've also wished I had a hoe with at least double or tripple the break out force of the 48, especially when trying to uproot 30 inch doug fir stumps.

And yes as was pointed out, if you don't have a good stable three point anchor via the stablizers and bucket the hoe can drag the tractor all around. But generally that can be over come with setup. I have water/cal filled 12.4x24's ag's on the rear and 7x16's on the front. This combo has no problem moving anywhere I want to go on my heavily sloped property. (I do everything real slooow.)

I don't abuse the tractor/hoe setup but push the setup as hard as I can with no apparent problems. I've actually dug up and pushed around boulders so large that they can't fit into my 430 loader. I also tend to run the engine speed down around 1500 rpm for better control of the hoe. This is more because I'm old and my cordination isn't what it use to be, not because the tractor/hoe setup requires it.

If the 4710 would take the 49 hoe, I'd upgrade to the 4710 now. But as I understand it that's not possible. So even though I'd like to have the heavier loader capablity it's hard to justify the upgrade to the 4700.

So from my experience the 48 and 4410 are very much a useful and fully compatible combination.

Good luck.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-11-12          44916

JDC, I'm with ya. I get better results running my hoe low and slow. Adding rpm's does not seem to increase the digging power. Don't know why exactly. ....

View my Photos
dsg

2002-11-12          44928

Mark, that is because the Hydraulic pressure on the JD is the same at 1500rpm as it is at PTO speed rpm's.

David ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-11-12          44933

I assume then my BX is the same? More RPM's cause it to cycle faster but does not offer a significant increase in power? ....

View my Photos
jdc

2002-11-12          44942

I'd expect that most of these systems are the same, constant pressure proportional volume. I.E., turn the engine speed up the hydraulic rate increases but the pressure remains fairly constant. So no increase in digging power with increased engine rpm but you can certainly move the implement a lot quicker. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-13          44944

It's easiest for me to understand pumps by thinking of them as creating flow but not pressure. Loads create pressure--no load no pressure. Formally stated, a pump's pressure rating is that which it can withstand rather than produce. The system pressure relief valve is what limits the load in a hydraulic system, and virtually all tractor pumps can withstand relief pressures at virtually any rpm the engine will run.

I haven't thought this through, but pump ratings come in max and continuous. I think the max pressure rating is a pressure at which the pump's volumetric efficiency drops to zip and there isn't appreciable flow. I think that heat is the limiting factor that produces the continuous pressure rating.

It seems sort of ironic that for continuous operation, a pump might work with higher loads at lower rpm than at higher ones--less flow should produce less heat and allow continuous operation at higher pressures. Although it's not part of a pump's rating definition, the size of reservoir should affect it's continuous rating. Larger reservoirs dissipate heat in the oil better than small ones.

I now operate my hoe at 2000 - 2200 rpm. I started around 1500 rpm for the reasons mentioned. I got better at coordination and feathering the valves when I need to.

View my Photos
JAZAK

2002-11-21          45266

PUMPS ARE RATED BY FLOW AND MAX PSI.
THE ACTUAL FORCE IS DICTATED BY THE DIAMETER OF THE CYLINDER THE PUMP IS PUSHING AGAINST
SEE THIS NICE CALCULATOR ....

Link:   

Click Here

View my Photos
Big Eddy

2002-12-05          45751

These are are positive displacement pumps. They move the same amount of oil per revolution, no matter what the load (up to and beyond pressures where the relief valve would open) So as was correctly stated above, the force available to push / pull / lift is independent of the engine speed, but the volume of oil (speed!) varies.
As pumps wear, there becomes a leakage factor that affects this slightly, but not to any great extent.

This is completely different from a centrifugal pump which relies on speed to generate pressure. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-12-06          45795

That's pretty much correct given my understanding. Pumps do have volumetric efficiency ratings, which are measures of losses from theoretical fixed displacements due to various internal leakages. There are losses in new pumps and of course the losses increase as a pump wears.

However, the ratings themselves are somewhat theoretical, since they have to be stated at a particular pressure, rpm, oil, temperature and who know what else. My manual says that manufacturers generally select pumps that gives 80% - 95% efficiency at the pressures worked. It also says that gear pumps vary widely in terms of quality and design and I'd guess by efficiency as well.

In practical terms, it's probably safe to ignore pump losses. Let's say a pump with an 8-gpm delivery rate is rated for 95% volumetric efficiency at PTO RPM and 2,200 lbs. (just under relief valve pressure). There would be around .4-gpm reduction from its 8-gmp rating but only when operated at near relief valve pressure loads and PTO rpm.

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login