Go Bottom Go Bottom

City boy buys farm and JD4600 has not a clue

View my Photos
Rob
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-29          4477

Ok, I bought a JD4600 and had it delivered Thursday. My dealer got it from another dealer who got it from, oh nevermind..the problem is that the operators manual is in transit. Dealer dropped it off at 7:30pm and pointed out about a hundred and fifty items to me. I wagged my head and muttered "yep" while staring glassy-eyed at my new toy. Then he left and they are closed for the holiday weekend. So....how do you put it in 4wd? how can you tell when it is in 4wd?. Do you need the PTO going to operate the back-hoe?? Below the joystick (???) for the loader is an icon that has a padlock (locked) and another one unlocked with a lever. What is that for?? There is a shifter on the dashboard (??), another two on the left side near the seat. A, B, C, (range?) on one and the other is like a regular four-speed. Do they all have to be in neutral for any reason?? I will probably have 20 hours on it this weekend..what should I be checking/listening for?? When it idles it sounds like all the lifters are hammering around it is LOUD. Sometimes when I turn the steering wheel full lock, the tractor doesn't turn, but keeps going straight with the front tires just being plowed by the rears. Almost wiped out the left front fender on my wife's Jeep with the backhoe while turning around..this is going to be fun.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Stanley from MD

1999-05-29          4479

My suggestion is for you to wait until you get the owner's manual to make sureyou don't damage anything. With the holiday (no mail on Monday) the earliestthat you will get the manual is Tuesday. Or, have someone show you how to use the tractor properly. What's so important that you have to do it this weekend? I can understand how happy you must be with your new toy (I'm jealous), but I would want to know all about the tractor before I used it.Why not take the weekend to wax the tractor and Armor All the tires? Just mytwo sense. Lucky you! Good luck! Stanley ....

View my Photos
mike

1999-05-29          4480

Rob, I was in the same boat as you. The main thing I learned, is to take your time with everything you do. When using your loader find some soft easy pile and put it your lowest gear and go REAL SLOW. Avoid digging. Just do about everything in your lowest gear and take your time to get used to it without hitting something. Remember SLOW-MOTION this will really help. ....

View my Photos
Alan

1999-05-30          4488

Rob. I just got my new tractor last weekend and I would have gone crazy waiting a week to figure out how to use it. My dealer gave me a 45-minute training session on where all the dip sticks, filters, etc are, plus how to operate the machine. The only thing he didn't get into was changing implements, which has been an adventure so far.I've got one of those orange tractors, a B2710, which I believe is smaller than the JD 4600. It has the Hydro trans. Basically, there are three levers on the left fender. One is to put the transmission in low, medium, or high (or a choice of 2 neutrals). Another is to engage the rear PTO, and the third is to engage the mid-PTO (I don't use that since I don't have a belly mower).On the dash is another lever that you pull downward to increase the engine RPMS.I don't need the PTO to run the loader - I don't have a backhoe but doubt you would need it for that unless the PTO runs a separate hydraulic pump or something. On the right fender is a lever to shift back and forth to 4WD. The direction that has a picture of the tractor all one piece is 4WD, the one that shows the tractor in 2 pieces is 2WD.I push in the clutch (a pedal on the left side) and hold it while changing to another gearing range, to engage the PTO, or to shift to and from 4WD. My manual says to engage the PTO while at relatively low RPMs (I do it about half of rated PTO RPMS - about 1300), ease of the clutch, then move the lever to give it gas and get it up to rated RPMS. My tach has a special mark on it at about 2600 RPMS - this gives me 540 RPMS at the PTO.Once in gear I just push the forward pedal (on the right) to go forward and the back pedal to back up. There is another pedal to lock the rear differential.This is not the same tractor, but hopefully the basics are the same.Just go slow and stay away from stuff. Also, LET THE TRACTOR WARM UP for 5 minutes at about half rated RPMS before putting under a load. This seems to be standard for all diesel tractors. ....

View my Photos
larry murray

1999-05-30          4494

Hey:Are you trying to make all us poor folks who can't afford a beauty like that. But know how to operate one sick. And you got got the bachoe. You are killing me.LM ....

View my Photos
David

1999-05-30          4500

Seems like this is a problem with JD dealers, they are taught to deliver tractors with manuals, but they just drop them off and run. I got a 790 with no manual. Okay, look at the picture where your 4wd lever is, it will show you engaged (tractor is one piece) or disengaged (tractor in 2 pieces). My guess is that you are back heavy with the backhoe (you need some weight in the front), that makes your front wheel just touch the ground, that's why it kept going straight (had the same problem with my old grey market kubota and with the 5' rotary mower on the 790). Best solution, as previously stated, GO SLOW. The lock is so that you can't operate the implement (in case kids jump on the tractor and have to play with the levers.) Good luck on the manual, not only did I talk with the parts depot here in columbus but with some people in Lenexa, and I MIGHT get it sometime next week. Who knows when the loader may arrive. ....

View my Photos
Gary

1999-05-30          4502

four wheel drive lever should be on your left side it's a lever youy pull up for four wheel and push down for two. some times you have to be moving slow to engage this lever. the lock out is for the loader so kids won't mess with the loader when your not using it. you have to have the loader on the machine when using the backhoe or it will be rear heavy and the front tires will float and making it impossible to steer. loader is a must with the backhoe. shifter on the dash is a power reverser forward and reverse and nuteral let side is the three different ranges high low and medium ranges. PTO has nothing to do with the backhoe for mowers and other attachments that need the PTO do not use it unless your using a attachment with it and do not just let it run that's how people get hurt, be carefull it's more than a toy but do enjoy having your new tractor. start out slow until you get comfortable with the machine it can kill you if your not carefull. good luck ....

View my Photos
scott

1999-05-30          4513

rob if you have the loader on and it is going stait you may want to check and see if you have the differential lock engage . not shure about your tractor maybe a peddel or a lever ....

View my Photos
Rob

1999-05-30          4514

thank-you, thank-you, thank-you...now that I can put it in 4wd the steering is much better. I keep it in first gear and "A" range which gives me about 1mph. Perfect for messing around. Dug a hole this afternoon..only took me about forty-five minutes..my wife could have dug it with a shovel in about five. Can't see the loader bucket from the seat, so I am scalping the heck out of everything. Thought there were supposed to be "bucket levelers" guess they forgot to put them on. Lucky for me the land is like a tabletop, no slope or hill at all. Put about ten hours on it between Saturday and today. Keep trying to shift with right hand (which controls loader) and persist in pushing in clutch when reversing direction. I hope that the dealer gets me the owner's manual soon. Went out and bought a grease gun and hit all the fittings that I could find. Thanks again for all your help..... ....

View my Photos
ben

1999-05-31          4556

Unfortunately, I took alittle offense to your beginning and final comments. What I'm truly impressed about is that the dealer discussed options about the tractor ONLY, for 45 min, delivered the tractor @ 7:30pm and most importantly, made a special effort to find this customer a tractor from another dealer, who got it from another dealer and so on. Plus, the dealer delivers it just before the holiday so the customer can play with it a alittle....but he forgets the manual? Sir, your dealer must have REALLY spoiled you. ....

View my Photos
Ben

1999-05-31          4557

Excuse me, Rob, the post @ 19:00 was meant for David. ....

View my Photos
larry murray

1999-06-01          4571

Get a clue. All is fair in love, war, and compact tractors.... This guy will have a ball ....

View my Photos
DougH

1999-06-01          4579

Rob,Sounds just like my experience. I get my 4300 two weeks ago. The manuals were there, but that would take time away from the tractor. I had to try everything first. Then when it began to rain, I finally got back to the manuals. I did not get any real insights from the manuals, except the correct sequence to take off the backhoe. Oh, you have to raise it up with the 3pt to get those pins out.I think the bucket level indicator is an option [$35?]. I did not get one either, but decided it would be worthwhile after a few trys at leveling the bucket.Good luck and have fun,Doug ....

View my Photos
Rob

1999-06-01          4598

No problem..you are right and I agree that this dealer was super in getting me my new tractor in time for the holiday weekend. I put about sixteen hours on it so far...still can't wipe the smile off my face. Pulled some stumps, dug a bunch of holes, scraped a ton of topsoil...place looks like it spent a day under B-52's.... ....

View my Photos
Tom

1999-06-02          4656

Sounds like you are having a ball. I just ordered the what sounds like the same rig. 4600 4wd with loader and back hoe.. I too, and from the city, just bought a farm and this will be my first tractor. I am learning a great deal from this sight.. Thanks ....

View my Photos
David Lynch

1999-06-02          4660

I apologize, I shouldn't have used this forum for editorializing. Guess you're never to old to learn. I did get my manual and look forward to the day I get my loader, so I can play in the dirt. Again, please accept my apology. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login