Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 855 rear hydraulic outlet question

View my Photos
guysnydr
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-27          42980

I am a little confused as to the actual usage of the outlet on the back of my 855. As of yet I have not had a use for it, but may at some point and want to understand it. (by the way, did all the 855's have the outlet or was it an option?)
The real question is this: Most farm tractors have two quick connect couplers on the back, both are female couplers. The actual implement has two male connections. My 855 has one female on the left and the one that I would think should be the second coupler is a male (located on the right) and connects over and into the female connector. I understand that usually one end is hydraulic 'in' and one is out, but can't understand why I don't have two female plugs. What is the intended use of the 855 rear outlet in terms of 'how do you use it'? Should I have the need to install say a hydraulic sickle bar mower or something, would I have to figure out some kind of adapter to turn my male end into a female end so both lines from the implement can be attached or what? I guess I am just thoroughly confused on this. I am pretty familiar with what I would call 'normal' hydraulic outlets on a tractor, but this 855 is not what I am use to. Can anyone clear all this up for me please? I would really appreciate any guidance. Thanks in advance!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-27          42985

I have heard of different connectors for rear outlets that are intended for backhoes so the hoe can't be hooked up backwards. However, I think it's usually different sized rather than different gendered fittings. The connection doesn't make much difference to most implements that don’t have their own valve assemblies, so usually it's just two of the same type female connectors.

I wonder if the lines are under valve control somewhere, since most implements that need hydraulics have only a cylinder and need a valve. If so, then different fittings on the outlets would require a special hose on every implement used, which doesn't seem too good.

Another possibility is that the outlets are in a PB line from another valve assembly (such as a loader valve). They are intended to make it easy to hook up a second valve assembly into the system. I believe JD does sell such a kit for some model tractors. I think the kits have special lines that are needed to connect the PB linse together when a rear implement isn't in use. Operation of a tractor without the line would result in an open pressure relief valve and the 3ph wouldn't work, which you probably would have noticed by now. However, if the tractor didn't have a loader, it could operate normally without the special line if the diverter valve was in the remote position. A bit of a stretch, but maybe a possibility.

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-27          42993

I would guess that you have a remote that is flowing all the time, meaning there is no control valve on that circuit. Sounds like a set-up for a backhoe. ....

View my Photos
guysnydr

2002-09-27          42994

The guy that owned this tractor did have a backhoe for it so it might make sense that this is what the outlet is for. Of so, this would take me to the next question: Is there a way to hook up external hydraulic couplers to operate a rear implement, or would I just need to run a long line from two loader outlets to the rear of the tractor somehow? ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-27          42995

Yes you can attach the lines to a remote valve and then plumb whatever gizmo you want to run from there. It ain't cheap. ....

View my Photos
guysnydr

2002-09-27          42996

Just curious why it would be so expensive? I would think you would just need the connectors and a couple hoses built. I guess I have never had any custom hoses built maybe they are pricey. Just wondered if you could let me know why the expense would be so high? Thanks! ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-09-27          42997

It's not the lines, it's the control valve. A good quality valve can cost a couple hundred bucks. ....

View my Photos
guysnydr

2002-09-27          42998

Oh, okay, I was actually thinking more of hooking the added lines up to the loader connectors and using the loader control valve. I realize that I would not be able to have the loader attached at the same time, but it would work nonetheless I would think. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-27          43000

What you PROBABLY..I repaet PROBABLY have ther is What John Deere calls a "Power-Beyond" Hyd. option.

This consists of two rear couplers, one male, the other female. There is no contol valve plumbed within the circuit, but there is a relief valve.

There is oil flowing to the couplers at all times, when the engine is running.

It is used for Back-hoes, log splitters, hyd motors, etc.

It's was a fairly expensive option on 855/955's, because of the plumbing and shop time required to install. This was a field intalled option only.

You can use this circiut for cylander operation if you instal a control valve. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-27          43016

Here are some ideas. I have a three spool valve assembly for the loader. The extra valve runs to the rear and terminates in female quick-connects, which is a fairly common setup. The valve controls are a set of in-line handles mounted near the steering wheel rather than a joy-stick. Some makes of valve assemblies are designed so extra control valves sections can be purchased separately and added to the assembly. That kind of solution might be easier and cheaper than adding a second valve assembly in a PB line. However, the solution wouldn't work well with a joystick linkage.

If the need for a rear outlet is occasional, grabbing the loader bucket outlet isn't that bad a solution. That's what I have to do to run my forklift. I have the hydraulic top-link that operates the forklift carriage tilt made with hoses long enough to reach the loader valves. With quick connectors, it doesn't take very long to swap the hoses, and when the forks are on, I don't need the bucket since the bucket is full of ballast.

The solution may not be great but it is cheap. I might be able to track down another control valve section for my UK made valve assembly or maybe add a multiplier to the line. ‘One in and several out’ multipliers exist but opinions of them are mixed. Anyway, the aggravation just hasn’t been enough to motivate me to do anything else.

If the rear outlets are for a power-beyond kit, I'd keep in mind that the connecting line has to be in place to operate the tractor normally unless a diverter is in ‘remote.’ A missing line blocks return to the sump. Prolonged operation over-heats the oil and damages the pump.

View my Photos
jeff r

2002-10-26          44245

Hey TomG,
A single control valve by Cross costs 75 bucks at Tractor Supply. A high pressure in and return to tank with A and B outs to a rear cylinder. Valve control lever rockers in both directions to give power both ways to the attached cylinder connected to A and B ports. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-10-27          44259

Pretty good price. Sounds like Prince and Cross may be competing. Somebody mentioned what seems like a good deal on a 2-spool Prince valve several weeks ago.

One of these days I'll have to get a four spool valve assembly so I have two rear outlets. The biggest piece of work probably will be mounting it. The mounting plate on top of the pedestal where my valve mounts probably will have to be cutoff and a new plate drilled for the valve and welded back on.

An additional valve assembly could be added. However, my preferred solution is a single valve assembly with as many control valve sections as I need rather than several valve assemblies. I figure that one assembly has fewer parts and orifices for the oil to run through and fewer parts to fail.

View my Photos
1070JD

2003-08-04          60942

Sounds to me like a power and beyond kit. Probbly installed after it was bought to run something like the feed drums on a chipper that have their own remote valve. I have the same thing on my 1070, I can only use the rear hydralics if the implement has the control valve. ....

View my Photos
1070JD

2003-08-04          60943

Sounds to me like a power and beyond kit. Probbly installed after it was bought to run something like the feed drums on a chipper that have their own remote valve. I have the same thing on my 1070, I can only use the rear hydralics if the implement has the control valve. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login