Go Bottom Go Bottom

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-21          42740

As a 1st time tractor buyer I'm having difficulty matching HP to needs/use. Have 22 acres that will need general maint, grading, couple of acres of field mowing and the need to clear, skid timber. Terrain is 50% flat & 50% hill. Have test driven Kubota L3710 HST & GST, TC40 and JD790 (dealer didn't have a 990). Liked the Kubota, something felt not as good on the TC40 and really liked the vanilla JD790. $ on the L3710, TC40 and JD990 are from 19,300 to 22,300 (with loader)...not too wide a spread. But at 15,300 I'm wondering if the JD790 may do the job. Would also like to use a chipper to help clear, maintain and not burn slash piles. Any thoughts?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

790 or 990

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-21          42743

The 790 is a dated machine. You will find it difficult to mount and dismount especially when working in a wood lot. The only other weak point is the brake which are not sealed. If left out in the rain or if used in a wet environment it can be a problem. The basic machine is a tough actor but I might look at the NH TC-30 as it is more comparable to the 790 in term of price and can be bought with a HST. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-09-21          42744

The 790 is a superb, trouble free little tractor. "Dated" it may be, but do you want a tractor or a Cadillac? As far as the difficulty mounting and dismounting...that is too subjective for another to make that determination for you. Have you tried the "fit" of the 790, 990 or others yet? My machine is a 670 (lower horsepower earlier model...same sheet metal as the 790..virtually identical except for power rating) and I've a bum leg. However,I've no problem mounting or dismounting the machine. You really need to make your own call as far as ease of getting on and off.

Now, the 790 is only availible as a gear tractor. Altough I prefer gears, sometimes hydro would be nice (just not worth the extra $1500-$2000 to me). It really depends on your circumstances. If you do go gear, just make sure you get the dual stage clutch.

The 790 has 25 HP @ the PTO. This is enough to drive most implements that a non-agricultural owner would want or need.

You mention you have 22 acres but only mow a few. How much will you need to mow or bush hog?

Skidding timber might be an issue, however. The 790 weighs about 2300 pounds. This may not be heavy enough to maintain traction when pulling logs (easy answer though...cut down the length of the log(s)).

I think you'll like the 790. Overall, it's one of the best values on the market. There's no doubt it'll be my next tractor (so you don't think I'm pushing Deere too much...my first choice was a Kubota...just got a great deal on the 670). ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-21          42746

Roy and Peters,
Thanks for the reply messages. It's fun to ask a question and get an answer quickly. As far as the brush mowing it will mostly be the couple of acres mentioned. There are a group of neighbors that share the use of a brush hog and they've indicated for a nominal $ I can get in on the use of this. I too had a gut feeling concern that the 790 may not be enough beef to handle some of the logging needs and am hoping that other responses will address this more specifically. In the test drives I found the HST really easy to adapt to but also wasn't sure if paying the additional dollars was what we may want to do. Life is slow on that little piece of ground and if it takes a few more moments to stop and shift, so be it. Peters has a point about ease of access...I didn't mind it in the test drives but will have to weigh the long term decision.
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-09-21          42747

I recommend you check out Kioti tractors also.
Great tractors at good prices,I bought a DK35 earlier this year and love it !! ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
TomG

2002-09-22          42763

There should be a bunch of discussions about log skidding in the archives that might be good to read.

The basic idea is that it doesn't take a very big log to outweigh a small tractor. On rough ground there's good potential for the log taking the tractor for a ride rather than the other way around. For tractors in this class, skidding probably is best limited to firewood ideas, but the tractors mentioned should do that job. Without an arch with its own wheels, skidding can put a lot of weight on the 3ph, so 3ph capacity is an issue. The weight also can be highly variable if for example the tractor starts up a hill and pulls more of the log off the ground.

If there's a 3ph snow blower in the future, I think 790's and 990's have a manual two-range TX that provides two reverse gears. That limits the choice of ground speeds, since a blower ties the tractor to pto rpm. I have four reverse gears on my Ford and it works well. I think somebody here does use a 3ph blower on a 790 or similar model and said it works OK although the ground speed is fairly slow in low range. That issue would just mean that in a heavy snow the tractor might not run the blower in high range and using low range would take awhile.

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-22          42771

Tom,
Good points to keep in mind as I go through the selection process. At this point not planning on a rear snow blower but one never knows. I will look into the articles on timber skidding. Leaning more towards the 990. Thanks,
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
LenO

2002-09-22          42772

I own a 990 and after 1 year have no remorse on that decision. Either way the design of the 790 and 990 have their roots in the 750/850/950/1050 models which have been termed by some as "bullet-proof".

My only advice to you is whatever you decide is adequate to do the job, step back and give hard consideration to the next size up. My last purchase was a 81 model 850 and many times I found myself in a situation that a little more tractor was necessary. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-22          42779

Len,
Thanks for the advise and glad to hear you're pleased with the 990. The "step back and look again" process is what has made me lean more towards the 990. Since I wasn't able to see one at the dealer I assume it's the same as the 790 only slightly larger. Were there other tractors you examined when making your choice on the 990 and if so what else did you consider?
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
BMarriott

2002-09-22          42780

Hello! Just saw this discussion. I purchased a 990 2 years ago and have no regrets. It is actually a significantly heavier machine the 790, which I looked at first. Weight is 3175 pounds per JD specs, and there is quite a bit more leg room when in the seat. As far as weight goes, I put 220 pounds of weight on each rear wheel, plus 250 pounds on the front bracket when the loader is off. I also had the front tires filled with foam which added another 130 pounds per tire. This configuration lets me use an MX-6 rotary cutter (1090 pounds) with no problems. Also, the transmission is 9 forward/3 reverse in response to the rear snowblower question. I agree with the earlier post...always go a bit larger than what you perceive as the minimum requirement and you won't regret it. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-22          42784

Marriott...Also appreciate your input to the discussion. Sounds like the 990 can handle a lot of additional weight which should be of help for traction. I would guess that the owners manual covers issues like the amount of total weight that can be safely added to tractors. I appreciate everyone's input on my question.

I think the 990 can do a fine job with room to spare for our needs. Thanks to all again.
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-22          42786

Rick,
I owned a 750 which is a 790 with less power, for a few years. I now have a 955.
The 990 is based on the 950 and is a larger tractor and more substantual than the 750. I have only looked at the 990 so can not comment on its operation.
I would suggest that you look at the TC-30 or the Kioti DK-35 or 45. Which are both in the same price bracket as the 990/790.
I also purchased a 955 due to the price used but had really like the TC-40 as it is much more tractor. I neighbour in the KY hills had the Ford equivalent and I think these are very stable tractors. I had borrowed it a couple of times to help move implements etc. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-22          42790

Peters,
I'll look into your recommendations on the TC-30 and 40 although my first ride experience on the TC-40 for some reason wasn't what I expected...maybe it just didn't "fit" right. But it certainly seems there are a lot of people happy with their NH tractors! I hadn't heard of the Kioti until it was first mentioned earlier in a reply from wolbert so I'll need to do some looking around for that brand. I do appreciate all of the help folks on the CTB site give and will be sure to stay in touch as a regular reader and contributor as I gain experience.
Thanks again,
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
DK35vince

2002-09-22          42794

RickB,
It sure would not hurt to check out a New Holland TC-30 and Kioti prices and features before your final decission.
Kioti website included below. ....

Link:   

Click Here

790 or 990

View my Photos
dwg

2002-09-23          42818

Rick, I too went through the same process your going through. I ended up with a 4x4 790 FEL, 5 ft rot. mower & blade. I mow about 12 acres and regret not getting a 6ft mower. I skidded out a bunch of wild cherry from a partly wooded pasture(leaves can be toxic to horses) with the largest being about 25 inches in diameter and 25' long. The big ones were a level to slight incline skid. No problem. If you are going to have to skid up hills then you will need a larger mach or maybe you should contact a logger. I did have to skid some 15inch stuff up hill and had no problem. I am very happy with the tractor but wish I had known that JD was doing away with the 70 loader. Anyway my advice is to get 4x4 with what ever you get. Good luck. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-23          42828

dwg,
Your response was an example of the exact type of information I was hoping to hear. Cherry isn't a light lumber and 25 x 25 is a good heavy size log...especially if it was fresh cut. Our timber is 90% pine and fir...a bit lighter then your cherry. Question: at what elevation do you operate your 790? We are at 4500' and JD has recommended deducting 3% HP for every 1000' of elevation gain thus rendering the 790's 30 HP to about 26 HP for us. I know there's more to the equation then just straight HP but I was curious about your experience and situation.
Thanks,
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Glen Schattner

2002-09-24          42844

Rick,....I purchased a 790 2 years ago...with front end loader..wheel drive, mid mount mower... just thought I would add my 2 cents worth....beautiful machine....built like a rock....however after owning this machine...I would ..as you are leaning towards...probably look at the 990.......one of my regrets is that the 790 only comes with a 60 inch mid mount mower.....a 72 inch would have been much better and the machine certainly has enough power to handle it....and the last time I checked....Deere didn't offer a mid mount mower for the 990...and now I'm even wondering if they have a mid PTO option on that machine???? Don't know how cold it gets where you are.... but I am in Manitoba, Canada.......and we use the front end loader and 6 foot box scraper for snow removal...works like a charm....either way 790 or 990 you won't be disappointed......and as far as accessing the machine....never been a problem........ best of luck with your purchase.... Glen ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Kevin in Canada

2002-09-25          42895

I have a 790 MFWD with turf tires, bought new in 2000. 790 is an excelent value for the price. With it I use a FEL,72" rear mount finishing mower, 60" two stage rear mount snow blower, 60" tiller, 60" box scraper and a 5 1/2 foot disk. The tractor has plenty of power for all the attachments. After using the loader and tiller for two years, a hydrostatic trans would sure be nice, but for me, not nice enough to pay another $3000 or $4000 to upgrade. One thing to keep in mind with the 790 and 990, especially for finish mowing, is the weight. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
BMarriott

2002-09-25          42910

One last comment about my 990. Even though I have almost 1000 pounds of extra ballast, I use mine for finish mowing with a 72 inch Woods rear discharge deck. I tend to mow in a square, and do sharp loop turns at the ends. Even with R4 tires, I have noticed no scuffing at any time, even in wet conditions. I don't think the extra weight is a major issue unless you are mowing very soft or wet ground. Either machine is a good value, just pick based on what your prime uses will be. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
dwg

2002-09-26          42933

Rick, I live at about 700 feet elev. I did not cut to lenght the two largest logs before skidding as I wanted to see if the 790 would pull them. It did but I was on the edge(probably over) of reasonable use. I have run a JD 440 skidder and just got in the mode. Pine can be surprisingly heavy when wet especially the big stuff. I did sit on a 990 and just decided I did not need that much tractor. The 790 does everything I need and is small enough to be manuverable in tight spots plus I have access to larger machines if I need them. I really don't think you can go wrong either way. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
neilw

2002-09-27          43035

Rick

I've had my 790 for almost a year. The machine has done all that I needed. Cutting pasture, surfacing driveways, picking up boulders, drilling holes, clearing tree stumps and moving material.

Only had one problem that the dealer took care of ASAP. The much documented 790 battery problem. So if you buy one get the dealer to provide a strongbox battery up front.

Good Luck.

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-09-28          43044

There has been a lot of in put on this subject and just about the time I figure that the 990 is the way to go a number of 790 owners pipe up and share information about what they accomplish with their tractors. So I continue to test drive and evaluate...doing more of the same this morning. My partner and wife (one in the same) feels that the 790 will handle all of our needs and that what it can't do we should sub contract. May be the way we go. I also continue to check other JD models as well as the other two major players (orange and blue). I've really enjoyed everyone's comments and will let you know how this plays out.
Rick ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Rick Y.

2002-11-05          44636

I purchased a 02-990 w/ldr&6'bhg,I could not be more satisfied w/this tractors performance,howerver I do have a guestion for a fellow 990 owner,has anyone experienced their tractor just shutting down when fuel is at half fuel and machine is at left side low(30degrees).I am currently having this problem fixed(I hope).I asked my dealer to install another fuel drain on the left side of tank w/a(t) in the fuel line from both drains.Who knows,I may be on to something! ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
BMarriott

2002-11-05          44651

You have already found the only fault I can find with my 990. You are indeed on to something. With the fuel outlet on the far right side of the tank, you essentially run out of fuel if the tractor is tilted so that the left side is significantly lower than the right. I only have a few hills, so I just learned to top off the tank when operating in this condition. Adding another line to the other side should solve your problem nicely. Otherwise, it is a very solid machine and I have done much more with it than I originally planned. Good luck! ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Don M

2002-11-05          44653

I think that with 22 acres and some heavier work in mind, you'd be happier in the long run with the bigger buggy. It's not that the 790 won't do the work, it's that the 990 or equivalent is a more appropriate match for the job. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-06          44659

A 30-degree side-hill is more than a lot of people are comfortable working on. Maybe the tank design was intended as a kind of safety interlock (I'm not real serious here).

However, along the same lines, Model-T Ford trucks did have to back up steep hills so they'd keep getting gas. I think reverse is a slightly lower gear than the low-pedal as well.

I once built an auxiliary gas tank for my Econoline. I built it in L.A. during the original OPEC oil boycott. It was a necessity is the mother sort of thing. The tank was a long low box and I put vents in at the front and back of the tank because I suspected there was no place I could locate a single vent that wouldn't get covered with gas either going up or down a hill with a full tank.

I suppose I'm more conscious of safety issues now and would realize that it's not a good idea to put a hose fitting below a possible gas level in a tank. Other than that, the tank wasn't bad. I solved a fill from below problem by running the fill tube through the top to the bottom and the vents did run back to the fill tube and valved gas cap instead of to the air. The tank also was baffled, as was its maker at times. I welded double-folded seams but I suppose its crush-resistance wouldn't have been up to the standards then, which are a lot higher now.

Any way, these are just some incidental comments about fuel tank design. It turned out to be a lot more complicated than I imagined when I first started welding. Boy of boy! Yards and yards of gas weld in that tank and it never leaked in ten years. I must have been some sort of torch artist or just plain lucky.

790 or 990

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2002-11-06          44662

Marriott,thanks for your reply,I should have my machine back in a few days and will keep you posted w/results.TomG-WHAT????So if I mow to the right this "safety feature"becomes inop? ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Captain B

2002-11-06          44671

Glad to read about RickY and BMarriott's experiences with running out of fuel. Moved from the flat land west of Boston to the steeps hills of New Hampshire. Not used to running at an angle all the time. I was constantly "stalling out." I was not able to localize my problem to any particular heading or position. Tried every remedy thinking it was poor fuel, clogged line, fuel pump or leaky gaskets. After a month of tearing my hair out finally figured out that I have to fill the tank every night when I'm through. This also prevents water in the fuel so its good standard practice anyway. Have never had a problem since but I always run with more than half a tank. I don't know if anyone has picked up on this but Deere has added a second fuel filter right below the fuel tank. The early 990's didn't have the second one although I think the 1070's did. They must have received some sort of feedback about fuel issues. Great machine by the way. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2002-11-06          44676

Captain B,I also decided to keep my tank above 1/2,but the inconvience of having to go back to barn to refuel before I could finish my job,was a pain I was tired of paying for every month!If my dual fuel pickup works I will be 100% satisfied w/my 990.The reason I chose the 990 is because at my place of employment,I purchased a 1990 JD970,she now has 4500 hrs and the only repairs we have done to it is a hydraulic pump,we bought it new!These two tractors are very similar(besides 10hp and mfwd).Want your tractor to make it 4500 hrs,try Jet-A w/diesel additive!Ps I was Rick Y. before I became a member. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-07          44694

Well, I did say I wasn't serious, and of course the idea of the problem really being intended as a safety feature is non-sense. I guess it's my way of introducing some humour into the usually thankless role of safety cop, which is a role I don't want. Really! If the slope actually is 30-degrees I'd rather skate on thin-ice than drive a tractor on it. Just trying to introduce an idea here without getting a reaction 'Oh no it's the safety police.'

All this doesn't detract from the idea that there may be a problem with the fuel tank design under normal operating conditions and maybe JD should come up with a fix. But maybe it's best as a manufacturer fix 'cause home-grown solutions of adding holes, hoses and fittings to a tank may have their own potential problems similar to my home-made gas tank. If I had gotten t-boned in the Econoline, I probably wouldn't be writing this.

790 or 990

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2002-11-07          44706

TomG,I realize you were not serious,just having fun also.You obviously operate on flat ground,you would get use to it,(30)degrees,if it was part of your operation.45dgs will make you grab the seat w/your seat!As for the manufacturer fixing my problem w/another fuel pickup in tank,my tractor is at the dealership having another hole drilled in it.I made sure my warranty was not hindered in any way. ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
RickB

2002-11-09          44799

To All That Responded:
After a lot of consideration, testing and thought I decided to pass on the 790 and 990 and opted for a 4310 ehydro. Haven't taken delivery yet but will soon. Has a 420 loader (we don't have a ton of FEL work to do), 6' rear blade, folding ROPS, Calcium R4's and a Bearcat 70554 chipper with 2 speed blower assembly. Have a lot of timber on our property and clearing/cleaning will be a management issue to always stay up on. Anxious to put this rig to work! Appreciate everyone's suggestions and thoughts.
RickB ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
TomG

2002-11-10          44819

Good that my comment was so interpreted. The idea that such a thing might be intentional is sort of funny. Just the sort of things that politicians come up with to convince us of all the good things they've done for us. If the design were intentional, I might approve since the design would work only for left-handed people like me. Few enough things in the world are for us and we spend most of our time figuring how to work things backwards.

True enough that the only slopes around 30-degrees I'm on are ditch banks. It's not too far to the bottom and I don't have to work the sides of them. The soil here is very sandy and gives way easily especially after rain, so I have to take some off of what's reasonable for other people. I think most manufacturers recommend 20-degrees max for side-hill operations, but manufacturers tend to be conservative in their safety definitions.

790 or 990

View my Photos
Yerbyra

2002-11-11          44868

CaptB,Marriott,TomG,I had the new fuel pickup installed on 990 left side of tank(from dealer)WORKS WONDERFUL!

790 or 990

View my Photos
Chief

2002-11-19          45173

Rickb,

I think you made a great choice and will love the 4310 and especially the ehydro. I have the 4410 with ehydro and it is a pleasure to operate. If you got MFWD I would suggest you strongly consider the 430 loader. It is not that much more and built a bit heavier. I got the 430 loader for my 4410. Either way I am sure you will love the 4310. Congratulations! ....

790 or 990

View my Photos
ronnie

2003-04-18          53362

try ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login