Go Bottom Go Bottom

Good general advice needed

View my Photos
Bill Cherry
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-09-04          42014

Just bought a home with seven acres of which one and a half is lawn. With the home I aquired a "99" JD 325 mower. The asphalt drive is 375 feet long and does have somewhat of a slope to it. What would be the best tracor to purchase that is four wheel drive? And would do the mowing tasks along with pushing the snow away. Any advice would be appreciated.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
REX

2002-09-05          42039

As everyone who replies to your message will say, you need to determine the useage of your tractor before you buy. I my opinion, you will probably not need anything bigger than sub-compact tractor, in a MMM (Mid Mounted Mower), if all you are going to do is push snow and mow. When I bought my acreage, I researched before I bought my tractors, and did what you are doing now, soliciting information from experinenced people.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Advertising content deleted
Dennis CTB ....

View my Photos
REX

2002-09-05          42040

Another consideration is the X series lawn tractors (X495 or X595 by JD). They are "beefier" is you will, than the average lawn tracor. Good Luck!!

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
Advertising Content Deleted
Dennis
CTB ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-05          42041

I have never heard of anybody saying they were sorry they spent the money on a 4wd. It will change a marginal machine into a workhorse, especially if you are pushing snow. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-05          42046

I agree with Mark on the 4 wd issue. But Dennis raises a good point. Location, Location, Location. Money is also a factor.

If the snows are light in your area, a blade or single stage snow thrower for the front of that 325 may do the trick.

1.5 acres is a not to much mowing for a 325, depending on your available mowing time. As far as the terrain, I have customers who leave chains on the rear tires year around on thier 325/335/345's to help with traction on slopes, some have barred tires for the smae reason, and they work very well, with minimal turf damage.

My advice is to mow a few times with the 325 and see how that works. The snow removal is another issue, you may want to check with others in your area to see what to expect.

In my area, N. W. Indiana, every year is different, we have extremes in the amounts of snow from year to year. You need to be prepared to handle the worst, and watch helplessly as your snow equipment sets idle some years, with the only justification of it's purchase being the memory of how bad it was only a few years ago. ....

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-09-05          42055

I tried to use an 18HP lawn tractor and a front blade to clear snow on absolutely level ground. It was good for maybe 6 to 9 inches of dry fluffy snow. If the snow was heavy and wet or deeper, it was pretty useless. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-05          42057

yep mark, that's about right. Any more than that and a blade just doesn't work well at all. ....

View my Photos
Bill Cherry

2002-09-05          42062

I do appreciate all of the experienced advice. The snow issue is one that can be ugly or tame. I'm in the mountains of Maryland and I've seen 30"+ snowfalls. I know that the previous owners of this property mowed with the 325. I also noticed they had a truck/plow for obvious snow removal. The X series 4x4 JD does look to be superior over the JD 325. I agree that this 325 with a blade and the incline of the drive would be a problem with heavier snowfall. I would be able to do something in the 15k range. I'm sure the 325 has somewhat of a trade value. Would anyone have any idea as to what it would be worth? ....

View my Photos
BMarriott

2002-09-05          42064

Sounds like you are getting good advice. One question...what do you plan to do with the remainder of your property that you won't be mowing initially? You might want to consider something like the 4100 series, which should be within the price range you specified. It would be a lot more tractor and could handle larger implements in the future (loader, rear blade, etc). You could also consider a used machine in the 655 - 755 - 855 class. ....

View my Photos
Bill Cherry

2002-09-06          42085

It's heavily wooded and I have no plans to clear any of it in the near future. It serves as a buffer zone and helps with privacy. ....

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-06          42100

Have a 99 325 w/48" deck almost perfect condition 175 hrs on the meter, on my lot right now.........$3500 on the tag.

I've turned down $3200 enough times this summer it seems I may be a little high.......

Hope this info helps. ....

View my Photos
Bill Cherry

2002-09-06          42107

That helps and I do thank you for the info. ....

View my Photos
Tom from NJ

2002-09-06          42108

Bill,

I have less acres then you, but more to cut, about 3 acres, my driveway is about the same. I went with a Kubota BX2200, with a 60 inch MMM and 4 foot FEL, I paid $12,000 in March of 2002. I love the tractor have close to 70 hours on it. Guess if you are not in a hurry to buy, you could consider the new JD 2210 or the new Agco GC 2300. They are similar in size performance, etc. etc., not sure on price since they are not out yet, and if buying a first year tractor is a good idea??. As far as snow removal is concerned, I had a plow on my old lawn tractor, Ingersoll 446, and found it pretty much useless after about 8-10" of snow. I went with a snow blower and it was great even in the winter we had 120 plus inches of snow in 16 storms with a few dumps of 2-3 feet range. The plow would have been useless after the second storm with no place to move the snow. On the BX I also picked up a 54 inch 3 pt snow blower, will see how it works this winter…I hope. Between the snow blower and FEL I should have no problems with snow, that is IF we get any this year!

Enjoy the search, it is half the fun!

Tom

View my Photos
Bill Cherry

2002-09-06          42110

Thanks for the input and it also gives me more to think about. I'm most certain that the snowblower is a must have from what I've learned in recent days. Sounds like you have a good set up yourself. I still have a couple of months before the white stuff starts falling. Maybe one of these new models will be available by then. I know for certain the 325 isn't making it up the drive with 3" of snow. With this fact known i'll research as long as practical but will have to make a decision soon. And your so right about having fun. I really like learning from people whom have that pioneer knowledge like yourself. Thanks again.......... ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login