Go Bottom Go Bottom

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
TURK789@ZOOMINTERNET
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-04-28          37911

I HAVE A JD 4200 WITH FEL AND R-4 TIRES
I WOULD LIKE TO INSTALL MID MOUNT PTO AND 72" MOWER DECK AND A THIRD VALVE LIFT KIT
MY LOCAL DEALER SAYS YOU CANNOT FIELD INSTALL A MID MOUNT PTO AND THAT YOU CANNOT PUT A 72" MOWER DECK ON WITH R-4 TIRES. HAS ANYONE DONE THIS AND DO YOU HAVE THE PART NUMBERS OF THE MOWER DECK AND PTO KIT

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-04-28          37914

This is a quote from the John Deere webpage:

NOTE: Mid PTO is only Available as a Field Installed Option
(LVB25037) on Tractors Equipped with 2WD Axle and SyncShift
Transmission.

If you go to the Deere site, click on the "Build and Price" link. You'll find that quote there.

So, sounds like your dealer was giving you the straight skinny... ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-28          37921

It is possible to install mid pto and 72" deck but there is a tire interference problem with R4 tires. We have also found that the 4200 with hydro is marginal in horsepower with a 72" deck. It's not so bad with gear transmission but we still discourage 72" decks on anything smaller than a 4300. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
Roy Jackson

2002-04-28          37923

jd110, are you saying the Deere web site is in error?

Note that it specifies "Tractors Equipped with 2WD Axle and SyncShift Transmission"

Just curious...

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-04-30          37982

What the website is saying is that you cannot factory order mid pto with 2wd, but it can be installed at the dealer. This will probably cost you more than the $300 for a factory installation. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
tomnos

2002-04-30          37986

This should be interesting.

I allegedly have a 4200 4WD hydro FEL being delivered Friday with a 60" JD belly mower and R-4s. They installed the mid-PTO this week and said everything was good to go...

tomnos

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
tomnos

2002-05-03          38125

Horrible, horrible mistake. Got my 4200 delivered today with 60" belly mower, HST trans, 4wd, FEL. I was very excited, but it soon died.

What a disgusting pig.

It is horribly underpowered in this configuration. Even with the FEL removed, the mower/HST combo were defeated on slopes my little GT 235 ran up. It simply ran out of poop. It stalled when I ran it slowly into the field, about 6 inches high with grass and the deck all the way up.

The deck only moves up about 1-2 inches from full up to full down. It will not mow any higher than about 4", and ground clearance with the deck is abysmal. It is useless for anything except a very flat, low growing surface (read: golf course) where it is probably overkill. This does not seem consistent with JD tractor designs I have had/worked with/seen in the past; it is simply a poor integration.

This combo would probably work with 30 hp, but it still lacks ground clearance fro any real work.

I sent it back to the dealer and am now looking for the right solution. It will probably not include the HST because it is such a power robber, and can't have the deck because I need the clearance for those times I need a real tractor on the farm.

You may not know it from this post, but I am a real JD fan from birth. I am just disappointed in this configuration as it was represented.

my 2 cents worth

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
TomG

2002-05-04          38134

Not such a good result. Too bad, but at least it seems like the dealer is working with you.

I guessing that either you already know or the dealer would have pointed out some power robbing things such as low range and nearly full up on the speed pedal gives the greatest power. Pressing down on the pedal like an accelerator gives more speed and less power. I don't know what deck leveling adjustments are possible, but a single spindled cutter that is angled down in front uses less power. Tilting one back does leave mulch rather than cuttings though.

I have sympathy for the ground clearance issue. I generally use our riding mower with the deck in transport, because the highest position still is too short. I'm guessing that the low clearance and narrow range of height adjustment are due to low tractor ground clearance rather than the mower itself. I tend to think of MMM’s as going with lawns and 3ph cutters as going with fields. However, people do mow pastures with MMM's. I don't think most people would want their pastures cut short, so maybe it is an unfortunate configuration issue.

When I was a kid, one of my grandfathers used to give me a model JD implement every year for Christmas. He started with the tractor. Suppose I started out as a JD fan even though most uncles had Farmalls. I ended up happily with a Ford and gears--go figure.

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
DRankin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-05-04          38146

This sound all wrong. There has GOT to be something wrong with the way this tractor is set up. My 4100 will climb steps, wade through waist high brush and climb slopes that will make you think you are gonna fall off the back end. Is there a brake stuck on or something? Low on hyd. fluid??? ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2002-05-04          38151

It sounds as if the mower is not adjusted properly. these mowers should raise a good six inches if setup and adjusted properly. Also as Tom pointed out, if the deck is not slightly lower in front, it robs power becuse the front of the blade cuts then the rear of the blade has to cut again. Also some misadjusted rockshaft linkage or mower lift valve could result in the hydraulic pump running in relief which is a big power robber. Hopefully your dealer has an experienced tech that can get your machine running correctly. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
DH83

2002-05-04          38152

THAT SOUNDS BAD,I JUST ORDERED A 4200 HST,FEL,TURFS AND
72"DECK.SHOULD I CANCEL MY ORDER?I'M TRADEING IN A 425
W/54"DECK,DO YOU THINK MY GROUND SPEED WILL BE THE SAME
MOWING 4"GRASS OR WILL THE 4200 W/72" MMM BE ALOT SLOWER?
ALSO THIS 72"MMM MY DEALER IS SELLING IS A 7 IRON DECK
HE SAID,HAVE YOU HEARD OF THIS?I THOUGHT 7 IRON DECK ONLY
CAME IN A 60"? BY THE WAY THE 425 TRAVELS 6MPH MOWING
4"GRASS IF THAT HELPS. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
TomC

2002-05-06          38217

I have a 4200 4WD HYDRO wTURFS, FEL, BH, 72" MMM. The deck will raise up a good 8"+.(right up to where the manual says it is supposed to go) I mow in low and mid range (depending on the terrain) and have never had a complaint about the power. I tend to mow later than sooner so it can get a little high. I did mow a couple spots yesterday that had not been cut yet because it had been too wet and the grass was about 10" high and that did bog it down a little but who lets their yard get to be 10" high? In normal use I have never had a problem. I also use the loader joystick to control the deck, did not buy the control valve for the mower. I'm very happy with my setup! ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
DH83

2002-05-06          38218

Thanks alot Tom,that makes me feel better about the 4200
I just ordered.Do you know anything about the 7 iron
deck in a 72",does it take less or more power to run?
Is your 4200 easy on fuel?Thanks ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
TomC

2002-05-07          38271

I have 3 acres that I mow and I filled up the tank before the first mow, I have mowed 4 times and have a little over 3/8 of a 10 gal. tank left. Not sure about the 7 Iron deck, mine is yellow but I have seen pictures of a 4200 with a green deck, not sure if it was 60" or 72". Could that be the 7 Iron? Do you know if there is a mulching kit for the 272 mower? I could not find anything on the JD website.
Tom ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
DH83

2002-05-07          38280

That about 2 gallons to mow 3 acres,thats alot better than
my JD425 gaser!I dont know much about the 272 mower.
I use "Gator blades" on my 425,they take a little more
horsepower to turn but they really chop up the grass.
I get them from my local JD dealer,they make them for all
size decks. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
jonny

2002-05-10          38429

I just bought a 4300 and a 72'' mid mount mower and the dealer said the deck was green also not yellow? Does any one know if there is any thing different about these green mower decks besides the color? Thanks ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
Steve Podulka

2002-05-10          38446

Something is wrong with that 4200 // because I have a 4200 with and rear 3 point mower and it has plenty of power to run it. If the grass is high the rpm's some time drop 100 rpm's but that is from 2800 down to 2700 and the pto is still
turning 540 and when I mow in B range I can push the peddle
all the way down and It still mow's fine. never runs out of
power. and my father-in-law has the same tractor and it never runs out of power mowing. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
DH83

2002-05-10          38447

Is your rear mower a 6ft or 5ft and how tall is the grass
you call tall? Does the other 4200 have a 72 mmm on it?
Just trying to get an idea what the 4200's will handle and
what they won't.I like the 4200 because it has smaller
turf tires on it to get under my trees and its costs less
than a 4300.Has anybody every turned up the fuel pump on
one of these yanmars--they seem to be bullet proof???? ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
Steve Podulka

2002-05-13          38565

DH23 , My rear mower is a 6 foof (72'') but it is not a johndeere mower it is a king cutter finish mower and the grass is about 8 to 10'' tall. I also have a 5 foot brush hog and if the grass is taller then a foot and first go over
it with the brush hog then the mower. ....

JOHN DEERE 4200

View my Photos
dbaa

2002-07-11          40284

I would chalk the mower-deck-clearance problem up to the R-4 tires. They are much lower in profile than the R-1s or turf tires. Not much space to work with under a 4200 with R-4s. I consider the power adequate on my 4200--maybe you do have a stuck brake. Fuel efficiency on this machine amazes me. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login