Go Bottom Go Bottom

COMMENTS ON THE JD4100 WITH 410 LOADER

View my Photos
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

1999-05-10          3653

I am interested in purchasing a John Deere 4100 compact utility tractor with a 410 loader, a 3-point hitch mower, and a 60" Landpride rear blade. I own 10 acres with a pond and woods located on it. I will be moving Manure, topsoil, and clay with the 410 loader. How wide of a bucket should I select, a 49" or 53" or a 61"? I have been leaning toward the 53" bucket. I will be doing some light landscaping around my housem and some woods clearing along with cleaning horse pens. Are pallet forks a worthy investment? I will also be mowing my lawn and am considering a 413 rotary cutter for my pasture. What tires should I select for these conditions, either the bar or industrial tread? Also how many selective valves should I get on this tractor, 1,2,3,4,or 5? Lastly should I get collar shift or hydrostatic for my applications? Your comments are appreciated, thank you.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos

1999-05-10          3654

I forgot to ask in the first message, is the rear worklight kit worth the extra money? Thanks. ....

View my Photos
cdf

1999-05-10          3659

I have put over 50 hrs on my 4100 in about a month. I have the R4 industrial tires, very happy with them. I run the 410 loader with the 61" bucket. The 61 is big for this tractor, however it can be usefull in some situations. It is possible to overload the the 61 so pay carfull attention to ballast requirements.(good advice for any loader operations) I'm confused by the control valve question, I have the DSCV for loader ops. I do not have rear hydraulics at this time but may in the future. I went with the hydro after many hours debating the issue, I have not looked back once at the decision, Hydro is very nice. Rear work light? I want one! ....

View my Photos
JonB

1999-05-11          3666

I've a brand new 4100, but haven't used the loader yet. I recommend bar (R1)tires for MY purposes (field mowing, light earth moving, tilling, drilling,small farm work)--the extra grip is nice and it isn't used on a lawn. The rear light is great--installed for $30 (what a bargain!). It's especiallyhelpful when backing into an unlit barn late in the evening.A second control value (DSCV?) is being installed tomorrow morning. One controller is for the loader, the second is for the backend--for a drill withdownpressure. I've read it's possible, but I haven't heard of anyone here with 3 or more.Rotary mowers are effective, fairly inexpensive, and the most dangerous. Iuse a flail mower, cuts finer, more even, branches and brush up to 2", safe, better and much more expensive. I also opted for a box scaper instead of a rear blade--based on dealer recommendation. So far it's done a good job of leveling, scraping and spreading. It will do a great job when the driver gets more experience. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-11          3668

I have the 4100 with the R4 tires, loader with 49" bucket, 5' Land Pride Blade,and a King Kutter 5' 3pt finish mower. The R4's are not too bad on the grass and I am glad I have them when it comes to loader work or heavy pulling or pushing. I installed my own rear work light for $20.00. If you look under the seat, there is an empty plug that is for the rear light. I just snaked the wires down thru the ROPS. If I would have known that it was only $30.00 I would have got it installed. You will like it, its a gutsy little tractor!By the way, I opted for the economical collar shift. I really do not mind it and am not considering trading it for a hydro. The gears are really easy to operate, and shift easy. Test drive or rent one for a weekend.Good luck. ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-05-11          3678

I have a demo 4100 coming on Friday. To show the wife, I have already decided.My dealer also uses a 4100 hydro to mow his grass. He has the R4 Ind tires for loader/tilling work, and recommended a set of front turf tires/rims for mowing.He gave me a price of $270 for a set of front turf tires/rims. I will probablyconvince him to throw them in with the deal if I, or should I say when I purchaethe 4100. I agree with everyone's view of the rear light. $30 is well worth the money. Don't forget, YOUR time is worth something as well!! I will probably mount 2 lights on the ROPS. 1 or both capable of facing forward or to the rear.The stock Altenator is only 20Amps(MAX)= [20A x .707(RMS)=14.14Amps(Constant pull)].The upgradable 35Amp Version will set you back $370. Solving for power Electrical Power(Watts)=Voltage(V) x Current(A), yields [55 Watt bulb divided by 12V=+/-4.58Amps]. Remember, Paper only presents a perfect world, reality tells us that a"cheap"light may pull 6-9Amps. Sorry, I have no experiencewith a 4100 & loader combination. I would however be careful if you are consideringliquid for the rear tires, if you plan to mow with the unit. The JD manual calls for 6 wheelweights (60lbs a piece) plus the ballast box with at least 750lbs of weight for proper ballasting of the tractorwhile using a loader. Liquid in the tires will be cheaper than cast weights, but you may be sorry.Removing cast weights for treading lightly is easier to remove than the liquid. ....

View my Photos
DavidR

1999-05-11          3698

Aren't alternator ratings are usually given as DC continuous output (since rectification usually takes place within the alternator case)? As I understand it, an alternator's 3-phase AC is rectified (but not filtered)to produce DC with a little ripple.In any case, a good battery should take little current once the power spent starting the engine has been replaced, and so most of the alternator'soutput would be available for running accessories like lights.Is $370 typical for upgrading alternators? That probably includes a heavierduty wiring harness, but it still seems steep. ....

View my Photos
Jack in IL

1999-05-11          3699

I have a 4100 with 410 loader and use turf tires since I also mow the lawn. I also have the 6 cast rear wheel weights and the ballast box with about 750 lb. of weight per JD specs. I do not remove the cast wheel weights when mowing and find no problem. The most critical matter is to use the correct tire pressures! I also have the pallet forks and find them very useful. In fact I keep them on most of the time and only install the bucket when actually using it or when parking the loader--the loader MUST have the bucket attached to remove and park it. With regard to the question of lights, I have installed one rear worklight and 2 additional front lights on the front edge of the canopy. I asked the dealer about the need to upgrade to the Heavy Duty alternator and he did not think it necessary. I have not operated much at night, but have experienced no problems with having 3 additional lights. With the loader attached and in transport position, the front headlights are somewhat blocked so the 2 additional lights really make a big difference in visibility. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-11          3701

$370 does seem very expensive. The 40 amp alternator upgrade on the Kubota B series is $160. I thought that was a high price. ....

View my Photos
George

1999-05-12          3721

Have a new 4100 with 410 49inch loader, loaded rear tires and a LandPride rake. I have been working the thing like a dozer and even put in a small road to my pond. I have NO complaints. The rear worklight is a blessing...love it !Also, have had no problem with the loader but wonder if a bigger bucket my require a LOT of rear weight should you be lifting heavy material but the 49 has worked perfect for me. I also went with the collar shift to help save some money and pay for the attachments. LOVE it. While the hydro is nice I think you would be happy either way.Dug up my lawn with the front bar tires on turns. Even with only 2wd. I switched to turf and they protect the lawn. For the more aggressive work I was worried but between 4wd and the locking rear dif, they let me do whatever I want. Very surprised by that. ....

View my Photos

1999-05-14          3829

Finally decided on the John Deere 4100 tractor with 8F4R collar shift trans.,engine-coolant heater, bar tires(R1), and rear work light kit. I will be filling the rear tires and getting a wieght box. Also getting these attachments: JD410 loader ( 53" bucket, pallet forks, hood guard, and bucket level indicator), JD261 3-point rear mower, JD 413 rotary cutter, JD31B posthole digger ( 8" auger), JD550 tiller, Landpride FS500 broadcast spreader, and Landpride 15 series 60" rear blade (offset included). Thanks for all your help and keep the comments coming! ....

View my Photos
MichaelSnyder

1999-05-18          3996

David,You may very well be correct in your comments of alternators ratings.Generators for example usually give rating in MAX, not RMS or Usable power.Being in the Electronics/Electrical field, I have found products to be advertised both ways. generally better quality components are given as RMSCheaper ones are usually MAX. If you looked at the DC voltage level on an O-Scope,you will find the a reading similar to this:~~~~~~~. A battery by itseftwill look like:____________. Lights, heaters, pretty much don't care, Your tractor gaugesgenerally, Have circuitry to Create a true_____line, and are made to allow this.My advise, you don't run your motors at red-line,(hopefully), the same is truefor Alternators. Also, you could pull 25-30 Amps for a short time, the battery will make up the difference. Like a water tank, if the drain is more than what you can put back in, youwill run out in time. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login