Go Bottom Go Bottom

Help JD 750 won t crank in cold

View my Photos
Huntmaster
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-02-28          35942

Folks, I need to get my '84 750 to crank up. It cranked up just fine last Sunday afternoon when I mounted the post hole digger on it. But it was 70 deg then and last night when it was 30 deg it would not crank up and run. I could get it to hit a few licks, but it just wouldn't fire up run. I eventually ran the battery down trying to get it going. To tell you the truth, that was really the first time I had ever tried to crank it when it was below freezing. As you can tell, I just don't use it very much during the winter down here in SC but a friend wants me to dig post holes next Saturday morning so I need to get it running by then. The problem is we just had a blast of Artic air come through here and the low the next 2 days is going to be around 20 degrees.
What do I need to do get it going?? Do I need to get a block heater for this one time? Can you use starting fluid on diesel's? I know one thing working against me is the diesel in it is stale from when I last ran it back in September. I am going to charge the battery tonight and see what I can do with it. Thanks for any help you can give me.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Rmak

2002-02-28          35943

Try turning the key to the left and hold it for 10 to15 seconds this will warm the glow plug. I live in PA and also have a 750 I use it to move snow. The glow plug has always worked for me. ....

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-02-28          35944

The glow plug will do wonders. Shouldnt be even close to being cold enough to gell diesel but maybe you have some water in your fuel/line and it did freeze at 30 or so and thats causing you some troubles. I wouldnt go out and buy a block heater just yet. Try laying a trouble light up close and let it warm things some.

Todd

View my Photos
Huntmaster

2002-02-28          35945

Sorry, forgot to mention that I had been switching the glo plugs on BEFORE I tried turning the engine over. I did that numerous times (sometimes for 10 seconds) and it still would not crank. Thanks. Keith ....

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2002-02-28          35946

Keith, I have a JD650 that I use regularly in the winter. (Michigan)
I have never had a problem starting it in cold weather. Maybe, your
glow plug is burned out?

View my Photos
Paul Fox

2002-02-28          35947

I've got a 750 here in Maine. With a healthy battery, it'll start all winter long. When it's REALLY frigid, I sometimes have to pre-heat 2 or 3 times. I turn the key left and hold it for a slow count of 10, then crank. If it just pops, I pre-heat again.

Sounds like bad fuel to me. Pump (road) fuel goes to a winter mix around here, but I add conditioner to be sure. Once it gels (stale summer mix may well have gelled) your only option is to put fresh fuel in, pull the filter out, purge the lines and put a new filter in.

NEVER, EVER, use ether on a 750. You take a real risk of blowing that puppy up. ....

View my Photos
JDNY

2002-02-28          35950

Not to overlook the obvious here but where is your throttle setting when you are trying to start the Tractor? It is a long shot but if the throttle isn't set high enough you might be trying to start the tractor with the fuel pump partially shut down. If I remember correctly the 750 is shut down via the throttle handle. Also, is there any white smoke coming from the exhaust pipe when the tractors turns over? This might be a clue to where the problem is. Fuel or Glow Plugs. What are the light indications on your dashboard when you engage the glow plugs? Is your glow plug circuit fuse blown?. Please keep the list posted to your final resolution and Good Luck. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-01          35961

I don't know if a 750 has a direct or an indirect injected engine. If it's indirect, then it probably has glow plugs and ether should never be used. Some older tractors like my Ford 1710 have glow plugs but they take more 30 seconds to pre-heat the engine. Direct injection engines don't have glow plugs but may have various types of air warmers in the intake manifold. Ether sometimes is used on older direct injection engines that do not have pre-heaters of any kind, but its use should be avoided and can't be recommended.

30-degree weather shouldn't be much of a challenge for any diesel in reasonable good condition, but the starter motor does have to spin them fast. An old battery or dirty battery cables can keep them from starting.

Generally, a diesel will catch in a couple seconds if it's going to. Cranking the starter doesn't help and just dumps fuel in the engine oil. Cracking the throttle 1/2-3/4 open before starting is sort of a diesel choke and does help cold starting. Some tractors have compression releases that also can help starting.

The description of the engine catching and then dying after a few seconds sounds more like fuel starvation than cold weather. Air in the injector lines, clogged filter or lines, and water or fuel contaminated fuel might be the problem.

View my Photos
Huntmaster

2002-03-05          36115

Folks, just wanted to let you know that I did get my tractor to crank on the very evening of the day that I had first posted my plea for help. Didn't even have to charge the battery! It took a few times but it eventually decided to crank up and run. The only difference is that it was about 10 degress warmer than the evening before. I guess my tractor cranks ok down to about 40 deg and that's it. Any lower and it just balks. Turns out that it rained cats and dogs the Saturday we were supposed to dig post holes and so we postponed it a week. Anyway, to answer some of the responses to my post, I was getting a light colored smoke but it was sort of hard to tell because the shed it is parked under does not have lights yet. I was judging by it a streetlight in the backyard. As for the throttle, I would pump it sometimes, and sometimes hold it down about halfway. The 750 does use the throttle to shut off. You can crank it up and take the key out of the ignition and it will continue to run. It only shuts off when you pull the throttle all the way back. As for the lights on the dash, when I switch to the left the red light on the left side comes on. When I switch the ignition on, the red light on the right side comes on. So, I guess I need to get some fresh diesel fuel and change out the old stuff. Might need to check out the glow plug too. How can you check to see if it is working correctly?? Also, is there anything I can do (sort of like a tuneup) to make it easier to crank up in cold weather. Thanks for all the helpful replies, folks. Keith ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-03-06          36125

A tune up is sort of like tinkering. If I was tinkering, I'd change the fuel filter, add engine oil to the injector pump (on many pumps) if that wasn't done last oil change, do a battery capacity test and clean the battery terminals and cables (especially the lower ground cable terminal). At less frequent intervals, I'd check the valve clearances and maybe the injector spill timing (especially if it was smoking a bit when warm). Diesels go through engine oil, air filters and anti-freeze faster than gas engines and maybe should be thought of as part of a tune up (every two years for anti-freeze).

Other than the above (and maybe I've forgotten something) diesels just perk along and not much has to be done unless they start smoking or become hard to start. The smoking described may be normal, but I think the engine should start easier. With my ford 1710, I don't even bother with the block heater unless the temperature is below 10F.

If a diesel gets fuel and air, has good compression and spins fast enough, it should start. The tune up stuff should catch the common causes of fuel and air problems. Bad batteries and dirty cables are the most common reasons why a starter doesn't spin the engine fast enough.

Other 750 owners may well say that the cold starting described is normal. For me it isn't, so I'd go through the tune up stuff. I’d also test the pre-heating system, and if it didn't smoke much and was still hard to start, I'd run a compression test.

View my Photos
Todd Wilson

2002-03-06          36135

I'd check the battery cables/connections. May be a failing battery at the colder temps. I'd also put some diesel winter additive in it also. Helps with water and the diesel gelling but doesnt it also add to the cetane value doesnt that make the diesel burn a little faster/hotter for easier winter start up?

My JD950 with a rebuilt diesel hadnt run in about 3 weeks and fired right up here in Kansas last weekend when it was about 4 outside.

White snoke also may be a sign of some water in the fuel too.

Todd

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login