Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Steve G.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2002-01-10          34388

I need a new compact tractor with a loader for a small horse farm. Stall cleaning, tilling and light loader work, gravel, dirt, etc. My decision is down to the John Deere 790 or the New Holland Boomer TC29. I'm leaning toward the John Deere(new). But, can get a the New Holland (used w/200 hrs)for the same price. How do they compare? How do the motors compare for reliability? Any advice on pros and cons would be appreciated.

Link:   juststallin

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
BeeFarmer

2002-01-10          34390

I think one thing nice about the TC29 is that you can add a belly mower.. although you didn't mention that was a concern for resale it would be nice to have. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-10          34393

Stable cleaning may take some tight maneuvering. A NH tractor with Super Steer might be handy to have. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-10          34398

They both have real good reputations. Not a lot to choose from there. And the specs are so close you won't be able to tell anything important. They look a bit different, and to me that is important.....except I can't decide which one I prefer. Nope, I'd have to make my decision based purely in the subjective realm. I'd chose one because it fits you as you get on and off and because you like the way it "feels". Both are just fine, and 200 hours isn't many. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Hayes

2002-01-10          34404

Sounds like you are in the same boat as me. My wife and I moved onto 10 acres over a year ago. We have a 3 horses and a 36x48 horse barn. We bought a JD790 FEL, box blade and JD513 used as a package for $13,500. The JD790 had 300 hrs on it. The biggest drawback to me about the 790 is it is a little cumbersome to get in and out of with the gear shift
on the floor. I would have preferred a tractor with more room but the price was right. Other than that it has been good

Before you buy the JD790, get off and on it 10 times or so in a row and make sure it has enough room.

I usually just swing a leg over the steering wheel instead of trying to manuver a foot past the gear shift.

(Trueth be told I was looking for a TC25/29 when we found this one, the wife fell in love with it, what can I say...)

Larry ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-10          34413

I'm with Hayes. I owned a 750 for a number of years before moving to a 955. The 750 has the same transmission as the 790. The biggesst problem was climbing up and down. If yiou were doing something like picking up sticks/limbs before you mow it could real tiring.
The 750 has dry brakes and I believe the 790 does also. I had difficulty keeping brakes on the machine and the pads from JD were expensive ($90) per pad.
I believe the TC29 has wet brakes. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Steve G.

2002-01-11          34447

What about the fiberglass body parts, fenders, floor bords? Are they as tough as metal. Price for repairs and pars? Strength of the Loader? ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
Peters
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-12          34471

I don't believe either tractor has fiberglass. I thing the cowling on the TC is ABS. The answer is tougher in all conditions except when in extreme cold.
I reflect back to the Husky saw demonstrator that would toss the chain saw across the black topped parking lot and then ask some on to do it with the metal cased saw.
Price for parts on JD are high, I cannot comment on the NH. I dented the center porton of the hood on the 750. JD wanted 450 for the small piece of metal. Needless to say I straightened and filled. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
H. PETERSON

2002-09-04          41997

YOU CAN GET A BELLY MOWER FOR THE 790 (THE MID PTO IS AN OPTION) HOWEVER YOU CANT USE THE AG OR R4 TIRES I WOULD NOT RECOMMEND TURF TIRES FOR BARN CLEANING OR ANY SOIL IE. CLAY THAT WOULD LOAD THE TREADS., THE HOOD IS METAL WITH A SMALL ABS INSERT IN THE FRONT. AS FOR 200 HRS ON THE TC. I DONT CARE WHAT BRAND THE MACHINE IS. THE FIRST 50 TO 200 HRS MAINTANCE SCHEDULE (790)WHEN ALL OF THE FLUIDS NEED TO CHANGED IS CRUCIAL TO THE LONGEVITY OF THE MACHINE. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
TC29 in Wa.

2002-09-04          42019

I have TC29 with the gear tranny,and you can that model with two options. With and without live PTO. The model with live PTO is a surperior option for any PTO driven implement operation. The J.D. 790 does not offer live PTO. The TC29 has a much more open platform that is much easier to get on and off. Neither gear model has the gear shift on the floor. The non live PTO model has the gear shift coming out of the cowling just below the steering wheel. And the Live PTO model has the gear shift on the dash to the left of the steerng wheel. PTO, 4WD and the Range shift levers are all mounted out of the way on the left fender. Other things to consider is that the TC29 can handle a loader with a superior max weight lifting capacity, as well as lift more weight on the three point hitch. The TC29 is wider for more stability, heavier for more traction, and has bigger tires, less likely to make ruts. With 200 hours on it, it is barely broke in. it would have to have been terribly abused to be in bad shape. For the same amount of money I think you would be getting a whole lot more tractor. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-09-05          42021

I believe that the 790 also has a live PTO. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
MRETHICS

2002-09-06          42099

Make sure that 790 has the new 419 loader and not he old 70 loader. There is a night and day difference. ....

JD 790 or NH TC29

View my Photos
H. PETERSON

2002-09-06          42105

I have the 419 fel and love it with the svt joy stick comfortly by your right thigh and the safty lock that can lock out roll or vert modes any one that has used a fork lift for many hours ie (job) will like it.plus I am looking into a set of forks for it soon.Plus the 419 is easy to take off the machine leaving the svt/joystick on the machine
does anyone have a set of jd 790 filter cross ref for:
oil filter
power stearing
and a equivlent for jd20d hy-guard hydraulic fluid.
p.s. JD must have been reading this board,my 2002 790 has silicone molded base gaskets on the primary and secondary air filters,the housinglocks them into place(no more broken plastic wing nuts),HOWEVER you need fingers of an octopus to secure the latch neer the radiator screen it was not meant for someone with 13.5 ring fingers. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login