Go Bottom Go Bottom

3 pt hitch design on 4100

View my Photos
Greg K.
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-31          34165

I am quite satisfied with the 4100; had it for a couple years now but the 3 pt hitch design has to be one of the worst I have seen. Even the 4200 and up models have more hitch adjustment features than the 4100. I have great difficultly adjusting mine so the thing does not swing side to side bumping the tires. I read discussion about rotating the tires to avoid this but the adjustability should have been designed into the 3 pt to begin with. I will visit the dealer to see if a 'fix' is not available. Any ideas or comments?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kay

2001-12-31          34167

The 4100 is pretty tight quarters for putting many more 'things' back there. The 3 pt arms usually need to be held together with a strap or bungee cord. Otherwise they flop over to the tires. The adjusting chains are to hold them from going too close to the center, and when used with an attachment, function to keep it from moving back and forth. But having a chain or device to hold them from moving outward, really would make attaching the 3 pt arms very difficult. I don't think the 4100 is any different (other than size) than the other tractors, JD or otherwise.
Happy New Year ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2001-12-31          34168

I too had a problem with implements rubbing on the 3 ph when the hitch was raised. I reversed my rear tires (I have R4 tires) and no more problems. I don't consider this an issue since the wider tire stance is more stable for loader work, ect... ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2002-01-01          34177

Yep, implements tend to rub the tires when the tires are set in close on every tractor I've seen. But few people leave the wheels set to the narrow position unless they have some special requirement like a narrow gate to go through. Even when the tires are set wide, if there isn't some sort of restraint then most 3pt arms can swivel out far enough to hit the tires. That is all normal adjustability.
I think part of the problem is that dealers tend to set the tractors up with the wheels in the narrow position because it saves room, making them easier to park, maneuver, and trailer for delivery....and because the dealer assumes that the buyer is going to adjust the wheels to suit himself anyway. Then we get used to seeing the tractors set up that way at the dealer and it begins to seem normal. But it is only normal at the dealer.

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-01          34179

I had that same experience with my 4100 before it left the dealer lot. It was set narrow and he had an implement on it for display in the yard. Unfortunately no one had bothered to check the clearance and the inside of the tires were damaged. They swapped them for me and set it wide before delivery. I had minor problems with that happening afterwards, but was able to tighten things up enough with the links to avoid any damage. Seemed to me to be quite versitile a maching for the size. By the way, I had turfs on mine. ....

View my Photos
TwinCreek

2002-01-02          34185

I haven't reversed my R4's on my 4100 yet. I was nervous because the manual said you can't reverse the R4's and I contacted John Deere and they said you can't reverse the R4's. Does anyone have a comment on this? ....

View my Photos
kay

2002-01-02          34192

I cannot understand why the tires cannot be switched unless they are talking about reversing them but keeping them on the same side. Switch them left to right, and right to left. They will then be going in the same direction but be in the wider stance. The tread is designed to have more traction in one direction, than the other. Some people with FEL reverse the tread on the front tires to get the traction in reverse when the loader is full. Your findings in the manual and from the dealer are very confusing and unbelievable. I suspect the JD's being shipped with tires on, come in the narrow position because of shipping width. The dealer doesn't change them because it is just extra work unless the customer asks them to be changed. Alas, some dealers probably even then doesn't want to change them, so tells the customer they can't be changed. But they can, and often should be in the wide stance unless the mower deck is narrow, and you don't want the tires outside the mowing path. ....

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-02          34194

Right on Kay. Such a simple thing should not be confusing the dealer, wide to narrow/narrow to wide swaps are as common as an oil change. ....

View my Photos
TwinCreek

2002-01-02          34199

Jihn Deere's reason for not reversing the tires was that there were some instances (???) where the R4's could hit some implements and that by increasing the tread width would cause additional strain on the frame. I did not understand or buy these reasons. I do plan on reversing mine. ....

View my Photos
cutter

2002-01-02          34205

That is interesting. I thought the JD's were built to accept the tires wide or narrow. My 4100 was switched by the dealer before delivery....odd he would do it if the strain would be too great. I am quite sure the N/H and Kubota are not reversable, and I have read that Kubota makes a spacer to move the tires out a bit for chain clearance. Seems to me they would not do that if stress were an issue. Certainly added length to the axle would add stress, but I would hope these machines could deal with it. ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-01-02          34213

I don't understand the references to not reversing R4s on the 4100. Before I reversed the R4s on my 4100, I talked to both my JD dealer and corresponded with company representatives via their website. Both sources advised me to reverse my wheels if I wanted more stability or hitch clearance. ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-03          34221

Bunch of pretty good information from Kay--about rotary cutters as well. I always heard of reversing wheels as swapping the left and right sides rather than just turning them around. I never thought the difference between swapping sides and turning them around in terms of tread direction. However, I'm not sure how big the issue of tread direction is for people with R3's or R4'. It's definitely an issue for R1's.

The idea of turning front R1's around to gain traction in reverse is interesting. My Ford 1710 doesn't have a reputation for having the strongest front driveshaft to differential coupling. I probably wouldn't do it on my 1710 even if I needed the traction because of the extra wear and tear on the front drive train.

Too bad about this tire width issue. I know it's not a helpful comment, but I remember 6" of more of axle sticking out from the rear wheels of old farm tractors. I believe the hubs could be positioned anywhere along the axle. I seem to recall that tire width had to be set so tires would run between rows when cultivating. Some implements planted rows at different widths I guess. I also seem to recall a story about axles having been cut off in order to trailer a tractor. Maybe the narrow setting from dealers does have to do with shipping.

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-03          34232

I have found no trouble adjusting the chains on the lower arms on my 4100 3pt. hitch to achieve little or no sway with my three point implements. By tightening the adjustment chains I can get one inch or less sway. It is time consuming to do so but it sure makes a difference in the stability on rough terrain if you don't have a 400-lb. implement sloshing back and forth. In terms of JD's recommendations as to whether to reverse tires or not, that is sometimes based on the design of the rim. It can is also based on the universal application of their approved list of implements. If one out of ten approved implements might create a problem with a wider stance then they will tell you not to do it ever, even if you don't own or use the implement in question. I can't really blame them considering the legal environment in which we live. Deere, like most manufacturers, has learned to play it very safe.... as there are folks out there who fall into the 'lowest common denominator" bracket.
JD went so far as to put a big dimple on the front rims of the 4100 to prevent reversing the rims, but the reasons there are much more apparent, as you might adversely effect the steering geometry and interfere with the operation of the front end loader. I would say that if you proceed with reasonable caution, and with consideration of how the tractor is used and with what, that you can safely go to a wider stance on the rear of the tractor with any tire type, providing they have not dimpled the rims to prevent it

View my Photos
kay

2002-01-03          34234

I stopped by my JD dealer this morning, and learned that the 4100 with R4 tires has a one position rim spec'd in the book! News to me. So, better check your rim, as all rims are apparently not created equal. The new 4010 and 4015's come with two-position rims, such as is spec'd now for the 4200's and up. The comment was made that the rims for the R4's are already dished out, and reversing them would only bring them in further, such that they won't fit and will hit the fenders.
Is this consistent with what others know or have found out? ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-01-03          34250

Kay, my factory rear rims on my 4100 (R4 tires) have been reversed (valve stems pointing inward). They work fine and I gained about 3-4" extra clearance for the hitch. I'm really not sure what you're referring to. My dealer stopped by my house to help me do this. He said they routinely reverse the wheels on the 4100 before delivering them and they had just forgotten to do mine. I don't know why you insist that this can't be done. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-03          34252

Well...... this much I do know..... each type of tire has its own rear rim. The R1 (std Ag type) has a 'two position' 16 inch rim, the R2 (industrial) has a 16.5 inch 'one position' rim and the R3 (Turf) wears a 15 inch 'two position' rim. My 4100 came with the 16 inch R1's. I made it into a turf type by mounting a set of 245-16 mud and snow SUV tires on the rear and a set of all season 155-12's on the front. They work great, even in the mud. Mark ....

View my Photos
kay

2002-01-04          34255

Sorry Jyoutz, but I didn't insist that this couldn't be done (re-read my posts carefully). In my first post, I was surprised the poster said he had read and had heard from his dealer that it couldn't be done. Then in my last post I referred to what my dealer read to me out of the book, that R-4's came on single position rims. I was just trying to relay that information. I believe you when you said you did it, as that was my original thought. And in my last post, I commented that apparently there are R-4 rims that can be in two positions, and some that cannot. Rims are obviously not created equal. I believe you turned yours around. I did too on my 4300, and on some 4100's. Keep cool. ....

View my Photos
Art White

2002-01-04          34265

Just to add on why the dealers set the tractors up in the narrow or close to narrow positions. Many of the tractors you are looking at in his yard leave with a belly mower on. Many of these mowers require the wheels to be moved in to clear the gauge wheels on the mower decks. The other thing that enters in is the size of the loader buckets being used. ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-01-04          34277

Yeah, Art I can understand this. With my R4s reversed, they only clear the gauge wheels on my 54" mmm deck by about 1". But they don't rub, so that's good enough for me. ....

View my Photos
DRankin

2002-01-05          34292

My 4100 manual speaks to three types of tires available from the factory, R1 R2 and R3. And I think I understand that those represent Ag, Industrial and turf tires in that order. So what exactly is an R4? And what rim does it use? ....

View my Photos
jyoutz

2002-01-06          34314

Mark, I'm a little confused on this too. An R4 is generally the term for industrial tires. Then I also see R2s called industrial. Maybe someone can enlighten us on this topic? ....

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-06          34319

As far as I know, R4's are the industrial tires. R2's are sometimes called rice or cane tires. They are a lug tire with deep curved lugs that work better than Ags in mud. I still don’t know what the ribbed Ag front tires are called--other than ribbed I guess. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login