Go Bottom Go Bottom

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
alg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-12-25          34038

Is the loader hydrolic pump running off of the fan belt on a 650?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
Roger L.

2001-12-25          34041

Anything that will drive a small hydraulic pump is fair game for a loader. You can tie into the tractor's own internal hydraulic system. Some have a port specially for that. But compact tractor hydraulics seem to have low flow rates, so it is popular to drive a faster (engine speed) hydraulic pump coaxially with the crank and driven by an extention in the center of the crank or front pulley. That method is common and I think it is what you are thinking of. Another way is to use the PTO to drive a low speed hydraulic pump from the rear. And yes, I have seen some tractors with a hydraulic pump driven by the fan belt ljust ike an automotive power steering pump. ....

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2001-12-26          34073

My JD650 uses the stock JD selective control valve. This valve operates the loader or snow plow in my case. The selective control valve uses 'Power beyond' tapped into the three point hitch hydraulic system. So, the answer is no. My JD650 uses tractor main hydraulics to power accessories. I do have a clutch pack and belts running off the front of the engine to power a frt and mid pto. Maybe this is what you are looking at. I hope this helps. ....

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-27          34075

Hope I'm not interpreting Al's question as too basic, but I wonder if the question is more along the lines of 'Where is the hydraulic pump?'

It's not uncommon for older tractors that have small hydraulic pumps to mount an additional pump for a loader. Some of these pumps were driven off the front of the crankshaft, others off the PTO and probably other places as well.

It's more common for newer tractors to use the tractor’s main pump. Many compacts only have one pump, and power steering is taken from the single pump using a priority valve, but JD, in particular, often uses a separate pump for PS. A main pump can be driven from various locations. It's common to drive them from a gear under the timing gear cover at the front of an engine. Others are driven off a gear on the middle of the camshaft. I suppose small pumps could be driven from a shaft out the back of an alternator, which in that case would be belt driven.

I guess that after all this I've got to say that I don't know where it is on a 650. Somebody who knows 650’s probably has a clear and short response. What I'd do is find hydraulic lines coming out of the TX/Diff cases and running to the engine. The larger of the two is likely the suction line. It will run directly to the pump, but likely through a filter. The smaller line is likely the high pressure line and usually is steel. It will run to the pump too, but may go through a manifold block and priority valve. A line going from the cases to a control valve assembly is likely the low-pressure (tank) return line from a power-beyond valve.

If the pump appears mounted to the engine block and it's on the side near the front then it's probably driven from a timing gear. If it's near the middle of the engine and high, then it's probably driven from the cam. The drive probably is obvious if the pump is mounted elsewhere--directly to the rear of the alternator for example.

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
Mrwurm

2001-12-27          34096

Just took a look at my JD650 and the hydraulic pump is mounted to the back of the fuel pump. The fuel pump is mounted directly to the side of the engine block near the front of the engine. It looks like the fuel pump drives the hydraulic pump. The fuel pump does not have a belt running to it. Jerry. ....

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2001-12-28          34105

Jerry's response should definitely answer the question. Yes, driving the pump from the shaft of the injector pump would be a way of doing it. The design eliminates a separate gear and shaft under the timing gear cover that my 1710 has.

I guess as long as there's already a rotating component outside the block for the injector pump, then why not use it for something else? The injector pump itself has to be gear driven, because injector timing depends on keeping the injector pump and engine rotations coordinated. A hydraulic pump only needs to be rotated, and most anything will do--the oil pump is another possibility.

I imagine there is a theoretical issue driving the hydraulic off the injector pump. Operation of the hydraulic system could affect injector pump timing through gear backlash. It might be an issue in a very high hour engines but otherwise insignificant. The only drawback I can see in the design is that hydraulic pumps do seize sometimes. In that case, I imagine a shear coupling between the two pumps would protect the injector pump and drive.

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
Tom k

2002-01-01          34182

Well, I'm readin about Tom G wantin to strech out your legs on a Harley, while working his 650, and here I am wishin I had a 655 because it's middle of winter, my bikes in the garage and I could be doin something constructive with my JD. Thats why I turn to the tractor board. ....

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-02          34188

Back in my bike wrenching days, a 650 meant a Brit Bike, and then I'd start wondering if I could find all my Wentworth tools. Things are simpler now that 650 means a tractor. Yep, tractors are good. They last year-around.

It's an awkward sort of place to live around here. There's too little summer for bikes and not enough winter for snowmobiles (there used to be enough winter I think). You can get a decent tractor for the cost of a bike and snowmobile. Guess that's how I bought my piece of mind. I don't have to wonder what to do during the six months a year when neither the biking nor the snowmobiling is very good.

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-02          34193

I guess it's that piece of mind, therapy thing. I started with a pair of 650 Triumphs myself, many times fabricating hard to find parts on an old lathe and mill. During my child rearing days I sold my then H/D Sportster in leiu of a boat the whole family could enjoy. Now years later another H/D graces the garage and during those four or five months of non-use I wax, wax, wax and polish the chrome. Don't care if the weather is bad, that is what the Kubota is for. That fresh cup of coffee or Labatts Blue in a warm garage with a polishing cloth in hand does wonders to eliminate the stress of the city job. Upstate NY is not a paradise for any one sport, but offers a chance to taste every one throughout the year. Have to admit, as I age the scales tip towards the tractor time. Glad to hear you enjoyed the British bikes as I did Tom G, did you ever mess with the Brit cars? ....

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
TomG

2002-01-03          34215

I had a '52 Nash-Healey. Part of it qualifies as a Brit car. I'm not sure if the Brit ingredient was the pleasant or the unpleasant of the car. Anyway, there were huge parts problems, and the car wasn't something anybody should try to maintain on a soldier's and student's income. I managed to keep it on the road for 3 of 6 years, and the experience cured me of many things. I'll take a reliable workhorse of a vehicle most anytime now. I guess HD 1200's would qualify. Maybe I'm still not quite cured because BMW's don't seem quite exciting enough.

Here, we're starting to put on the snow-shoes to get out in the bush while the snowmobiles are still dodging rock faces on the trails. The shoes make winters longer than the snowmobiles do, and they don't take as many parts. Nice and simple. I'll take simple most times too.

jd 650 loader

View my Photos
cutter
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2002-01-03          34225

Austin healey 3000 for me. Wish I could afford to own one now, last one I passed up was in an inside junk yard for imports. $600 and it ran, but with a young family in 1978, too much money. Now they are more like 30k. The Brit part was definately the wiring, and probably the specially hidden fluid check points that only a midget could access. The fold down tops were like crossword puzzles to work with. Compared to these new tractors of today, they were like third world technology. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login