Go Bottom Go Bottom

Hydraulic Pump replacement on JD-950 9cc to 11cc pump

View my Photos
mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2001-05-29          28753

Since my initial purchase several years back I have noticed my hydraulics have been a little slow as compared to a family owned JD-750.Specifically, I have noticed it has always been necessary to punch the throttle on the tractor to get any kind of response out of the 3-point hitch or loader. Me thinks my hydraulic pump is worn out. Was curious if anyone has had any experience changing the hydraulic pumps on any of the x50 series tractors? Was wondering how big of a deal this project would be? Would I be better to go with an exact replacement (9cc type) or opt for the larger pump (11cc).model As near as we can tell they (the 9cc and 11cc pumps) are interchangeable without any modifications. Any insight (and BTDTs) into this topic would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Mark.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
TomG

2001-05-30          28770

You might check with a dealer for an expected service life of the pump. If it's a gear type, they do have relatively short service lives. However, many start out being able to generate around 4000 lbs. peak pressure. Efficiency is going to drop over some thousand hours in properly maintained systems, but it's going to take awhile before a pump can no longer open the pressure relief valve and looses a lot of capacity. The slowness could come from other causes. You might want to run a pressure/flow test before committing to a new pump. ....

View my Photos
mark

2001-06-09          29100

A follow-up: Changed out stock hydraulic pump with increased capacity 11cc/rev version recently. Noted performance increase in loader bucket movement and power steering! Not sure if some of the performance increase can be attributed two a new pump or just increased capacity. In any event we are pleased with the results! JD Parts necessary for modification were: CH13990 11cc Hydraulic Pump, CH14177 Bolts (qty. 2), CH14189 Gasket, CH13991 Adapter, CH13992 Snap Ring. Three problems encountered during this project. Removal of the two outer studs on the engine to be replaced by the CH14177 Bolts. Double-nutted for removal. Also, the snap ring was extremely difficult to seat in CH13991 Adapter. You might want to order a spare snap ring or two as the first ring did not survive the installation (bent) and resulted in delays until a replacement was ordered. Once these hurdles were cleared though things went smoothly. Best of all no leaks! We feel, anyone interested in breathing some new life into there old "50" series JD hydrualic system would benefit from the pump enhancement. Total cost for upgrade was just under $500 in parts. Thanks for the helpful posts. Regards (6/9/2001) ....

View my Photos
Larry K

2001-07-17          30151

Mark, read your message found it very interesting thought about doing the same thing to my 1050. I have the original hydraulic pump 5.8gpm (I think)that came on the tractor in 1982. I added power steering and I am about to put a front end loader on the tractor, but the 5.8gpm seems really whimpy compared to the gpm tractors are putting out today. Did you find a dramatic difference? With the new pump what is your gpm? Did John Deere have the pump available? I find that every time I go to a John Deere dealer and say I have a 1050 and need this part, they act like I am buying a part for a model "T". Any thoughts would be appreciated. ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-17          30152

On the JD1050's, serial # 11001 & up have the 11 cc hydraulic pumps installed, prior to this serial # are 9 cc pumps. The JD750 standard was 9 cc, and the JD650 is 7 cc. ....

View my Photos
Big Eddy

2001-07-17          30162

John - you seem to be the resident expert on stats and info! I have an 855, which is very similar to the 955. Could I change my pump for the 955 pump, or does the fact that I have a Hydro machine essentially make that impractical? I'm running a backhoe, and a little extra flow would be useful!

Thanks
Big_Eddy ....

View my Photos
Larry K

2001-07-17          30168

I checked my serial number and found out that I have the 11cc pump. Just wondering if anyone knows of a larger replacement pump for the 1050? Thought about adding a separate hydraulic pump off of the front harmonic balencer with separate lines and hydraulic tank to run the front end loader. Either way I need more flow, anyone added a separate pump as mentioned above,let me know I would like to find out how it worked out. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
keoke

2001-07-17          30183

Does any one know if the JD970 hyd pump can be upgraded for more flow as well??

george ....

View my Photos
mark

2001-07-17          30192

Larry, A follow-up to my initial post back in June. I am not sure on the translation from cubic centimeters to gallons per minute on the pump capacity. I know the new pumps capacity is 11 cubic centimeters per revolution. Here is an educated guess. You mentioned the orginal pump was 5.8 gpm. Doing the math if a 9cc/rev ~ 5.8gpm. Then an 11cc/rev should translate to roughly 7.0 gpm. Perhaps others on the board can verify the cc/rev to gpm translation. As far as performance, I noticed a considerable difference in the steering and the loader response both at idle and mid-range throttle. I have to admit to you that I am not sure how much of the performance improvement can be attributed to the bigger pump and how much occured by simply updating the pump. I will tell you that I was very happy with the results. To me, it was worth the $500.00 in parts for the upgrade. There was no problem with obtaining the parts from Deere. (see my original post for part #'s) Basically, I upgraded my pump for two reasons, one was for the anticipated performance increase and the second reason was 10 to 15 years out, would the pump still be available? Translation: it doesn't get any cheaper than right now. I hope to keep this tractor for a long time to come so I figured it made sense to upgrade it now. As far as retrofitting the "50" series tractor's hydraulics to make it equal in performance to what is available on the showroom floor today. IMHO Doubtful. In other words, if you are looking for "commercial backhoe" hydraulic performance from this upgrade you would be better off to trade the tractor in on a new one. But, if you are looking to give a 20-year old tractor a reasonable bump in performance and a "new lease on life"; then you won't be disappointed. As far as going to the dealer for parts I have never had a problem with my dealer. I am 100% satisfied. Parts availability has never been a problem for me personally on my 950. I guess there are some JD dealers out there who would rather talk you into buying a new tractor rather than fixing your old one. Just my 2-cents here. Larry, hope this information helps and good luck on your project. Please post again if you need more info. as I sure the board would be be glad to help. Also please keep the board updated as to your progress. Regards Mark ....

View my Photos
Larry K

2001-07-17          30193

Mark, thanks for your response. I am not looking to run a backhoe, just want better response for the loader, ps, and 3ph. Spoke to my John Deere dealer, and he sayes there is no larger upgrade pump other than the 5.8gpm pump on the tractor. I like what you said about adding new life to the original system by adding a new pump, I may give it a thought. The tractor is twenty years old and probably plan to keep it another twenty years if it holds out,its like a family member, boy they sure are good tractors. I will let you know if I add the extra pump. As far as the other fella's asking about the upgrades on the other series, I can't say I'am only familar with the "50" series. Thanks. ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-18          30198

It appears the 955 pump is a bolt-on for a 855 with a quick glance of the parts breakdown. Unfortunately, John Deere doesn't list the size in "cc" for these pumps in the parts manuals. Here's the JD hydraulic pump p/n's with models: JD655, AM875160; JD755 & JD855, AM875159; JD 955, AM876999. Perhaps if a stocking JD has any of these on the shelves, you may see a "cc" size listing on the label. ....

View my Photos
John Miller, III

2001-07-18          30199

The JD 870, 970, and 1070 all use the same tandem pump assembly p/n AM877525 for main, p/n AM876753 for p/s. ....

View my Photos
Norm

2001-07-18          30207

3.8 liters to the gallon (US) = 3800 cc/gal. At 5.8 gal/min, that yields 22040 cc/min. Divide that by the rated rpm to get cc/rev. The rated rpm is the hard part, I would assume it is the engine speed required for PTO speed. So, for my 755, rated at 5.6 gal/min in the book (7 cc/rev on the pump) and a pto engine speed of 3200 rpm it comes out to: (5.6g/m * 3800cc/g) / 3200rpm = 6.65cc/rev which is pretty close. Lowering the rated rpm to 3000 in the calculation puts it just about square on. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login