Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 59 quot Snowblower

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-14          22456

Just used my 59" snowblower with my 955 today for the first time. Good snow (not wet and heavy) and approximately 6" deep. The question is how far should the snowblower throw the snow??? I thought it would really send it flying with 27hp going to PTO but it only threw it about 7 feet. Does this sound right?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Murf
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-15          22475

When it comes to the distance & direction the snow goes, it is a function of several things. First, the lighter the snow, the less momentum it will have. Secondly, the hood should be adjustable as to the 'up / down' angle, after a little experience you will find that although it looks impressive, a 100' plume of snow just means you end up wearing more of it. In our commercial use of snowblowers we have found that it is better to have a taller (higher) output shoot and not aim it as high, this way the wind kicks up less of it. Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-12-15          22479

Is the blower new? Is it a front mount? Try pushing more snow into it by increasing the ground speed as Murf suggested. I hope that and maybe a damper adjustment would sovle your problem. ....

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2000-12-15          22490

I am aware of the chute angle adjustment at the top. I was more interested in what other people's experience was with this particular snowblower and how far it blew snow. I guess the only benchmark that I am aware of is my Honda walkbehind snowblower that threw the snow a mile. It was 9hp and only 28" wide. Now I'm throwing a 59" wide path of snow so I guess it doesn't go as far?

I tried various speed and it didn't seem to affect the distance the snow was thrown. ....

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2000-12-15          22491

The snowblower is only a few years old and was hardly used when I bought it with the tractor (99 hours on the tractor). It is a front mount John Deere 59" snowblower. I messed with the angle of the chute and the foward ground speed of the tractor. Regardless, it threw the snow about 7-8 feet.

What I'm trying to find out is whether or not this sounds right or should it be really firing the snow 30 yards? ....

View my Photos
Kenny

2000-12-15          22500

I,m definitely not an expert on this particular model, but I just checked out the specs on john deere's site (link listed below), and I would certainly think that the 59" blower should throw farther than 7 to 8 feet. It is listed as a 2 stage blower and I have always found that two stage blowers throw at least 20 to 30 feet. You say you tried various ground speeds, but what engine rpm are you running? You should be running near full throttle. Check your tach and see where your pto speed is shown. I'm guessing in the 3000 rpm range. If you're running proper speed and still not performing well, there could be a problem with the blower or possibly it is too large for the tractor. I see that the 4100 is the smallest hp tractor listed for 59". Perhaps the 47" would be a better match. ....

Link:   john deere site

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2000-12-15          22502

Thanks. I was running at the PTO speed which is 3200 rpm. The 955 tractor is rated for the 59" blower. I'll call the dealer and see what he says. It is definately not throwing snow 30 feet. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-12-15          22505

I have used this model of trac and blow. It should throw the snow at least 40 to 60 feet. Mine did for the 60 hrs I used it. Never had a problem as you describe with light powder or heavy slush. There is something not right with yours. I wonder if a shear pin is broken some where. forward speed does play a role, there is a happy medium to that. Oherwise something is not right. This exhausts my expertise on the matter. Probably not much help. sorry ....

View my Photos
TomG

2000-12-16          22508

I don't know specs for either the blower or tractor. However, what you describe would sure happen if the blower is a 1000 PTO speed blower ran from a 540 speed PTO. If it's a front mount blower, I've read that some people end up with a drive that turn a blower backwards. That problem, however, I imagine would be noticed right off.

I get about 30'-40' with my 60" blower driven with 24 hp. I keep the deflector fairly open and would get more distance if I closed it. I believe the chute doesn’t to clog with wet snow with an open deflector as frequently. However, as Murf said, I do get covered with snow and have to operate in low visibility when there's a wind. I think I'll experiment with closing the chute a bit. We're supposed to get freezing rain and wet snot for the next several days. I'd just as soon the weather saved me from my experiments.

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-12-16          22516

B.C., does the 955 seem to have plenty of power when operating, can you move at a reasonable speed when blowing? If so there is probably nothing wrong with your blower, it's just the way that particular blower operates. I use to own a woods 74" 3pt snowblower and ran a 970 Deere, the 970 played with the blower but it would not blow snow very far. The problem was design, blower depth, number of blades on fan,and diameter of fan. Now I own a Pronovost and Deere 4600 and there is no comparing the two blowers, the Pronovost has balanced fan and auger bigger fan, deeper fan, 4 blades, 72", and 600.$ cheaper. What I'm saying is if your 955 is not struggling with power or speed while operating the blower most likely it's operating (blowing) at it's capacity. ....

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2000-12-16          22518

Thanks. Yes, the tractor moves fine with the blower running. I was even operating in the float position of the SCV and it never even winced. ....

View my Photos
Ted-J

2000-12-16          22523

I have a JD 1050 and am using a 7'two stage SHULTE snowblower. it easily blows heavy wet snow 7'-10'and light snow at least 30'or more if there is no wind.I am not sure what your problem is,but I am certain you do have one. ....

View my Photos
RCH

2000-12-16          22529

At Fleet Farm and I'm sure other agriculture supply places they sell an aerosol grsphite spray to spray on a shined-up moldboard so it won't rust and pit between use. This allows the plow 'to scour' at the outset with it's next use (prevent the soil from sticking to the moldboard) and pull easier. Powdered graphite is often mixed into seed corn/beans in the planter hopper to prevent caking and enhance flow. I'd try some emery cloth to the chute followed with graphite spray and see if that improves the reology. ....

View my Photos
Big Eddy

2000-12-18          22567

There is definitely something not working properly. For those that aren't aware, the 59" front mount snowblower mentioned is designed specifically for the 855 / 955, and is driven off the mid-pto. The blower should have plenty of power, and it sounds like the tractor is not working hard. My 59" blower on my 855 will fire snow at least 20' and I have 7 less HP in basically the same tractor. There are 2 things that I find are required to get good distance. First there needs to be enough snow - your 6" should be enough to properly fill the blower. I remember when I first got my blower I blew 1" off my whole lawn, and it worked fine. Second, the snow can't be too slushy, although it doesn't sound like it is in your case.

So that said I would suggest something isn't hooked up or working properly. Take a look from the front with the blower running (the tractor stationary, chute angled off to side and all that other stuff before the safety police jump on me) and check both the auger and the impeller are turning properly. It sounds to me like the impeller is not turning properly so your 2 stage blower is working more like a single stage blower. Another test would be to check to see if the impeller can be turned by hand (with the blower and tractor off!) as any play or slippage there indicates less power to force the snow up the chute. And the last thing to check is if the impeller is turning the right way. How it could be otherwise I don't know, but it would sure reduce the distance the snow flies.

Hope you figure it out - let us know the result, just in case the same happens to us some day. ....

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2000-12-18          22578

Thanks to everyone for their help. After your input, the input of two John Deere dealers, and my own investigation, here is what I have determined.

1. The snowblower is working correctly.
2. The fact that it didn't blow snow 30 to 40 feet was due to:
a. snow conditions and moisture content
b. snowblower chute hasn't been lubricated (I picked up some JD "Slip-Plate" dry film lubricant graphite spray at the dealer.)
c. I wasn't going fast enough
d. The snow depth was marginal at 5-6 inches.
3. I confirmed that the fly wheel and auger are all working properly and do not slip.
4. I also confirmed that the fly wheel is spinning in the proper direction.
5. I was operating the tractor at the PTO engine rpm speed of 3200 +/-.
6. The snowblower was originally purchased at the same time the tractor was purchased new.

Thanks again for your input. ....

View my Photos
B.C. Underwood

2001-01-10          23284

Follow up:

Well there was something wrong with the snowblower afterall. The running shoes (located at the rear wall on the left and right sides of the snowblower) were set at the lowest position, thus allowing the snowblower to scrape clean the driveway. However, at the same time it was scraping clean the driveway with the scraping blade as it should, the augers were also scraping the driveway. Thus, the auger's contact with the driveway were in effect partially loading the snowblower and taking power away from the flywheel. I figured this out when I inspected the auguers and found that they had completely shiny edges all the way around which meant they were scraping the driveway.

The fix:

First, I set the running shoes down one notch on both sides. This now provides approximately 0.5 inches of clearance between the driveway and the scraping blade. However, I noticed that the bottom of the side walls of the snowblower were getting worn so I purchased an additional pair of running shoes that JD makes for the side walls. (Note: There are separate left and right shoes for the side walls and JD identifies them as two separate part numbers (AM128336 & AM128337)). I set them in the highest position (allowing the blade to be as low as possible). I then readjusted the original running shoes located on the back wall of the snowblower back to the highest position (the original position that was allowing the blade to scape the driveway). The rear running shoes now act as a back up and additional protection for the snowblower while the sidewall running shoes are the only ones in continuous in contact with the driveway. The sidewall running shoes provide better stability and slightly lower clearance for the scraping blade (approximately 0.3 - 0.4 inch).

Again, thanks to all for your help. Hope this helps too. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login