Go Bottom Go Bottom

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Dave Wells
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-12-04          22126

I have a JD4100, purchased new this year (July 2000). I have a friend who has a JD955, which has an automatic glow plug for warming up (ie, turn ignition swith on, wait for glow plug light to go out, then start tractor). His 955 starts easily, at least down to about 25 degrees. My 4100 coughs, gags, smokes, etc, when first starting. I've purchased the block heater and the hydrostatic sump heater, and plan to install them as soon as I can. My question is, does anyone know of a glow plug (aftermarket kit) that can be added to the diesel in my 4100 ? I'd still use the block & sump heaters, but it would sure be nice to have a glow plug too. TIA for any info.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-12-04          22127

I don't think that you can put in a glow plug, because it is mounted in the high compression area of the head. But the basic motor in your 4100 was used by Yanmar on a number of other applications....and Yanmar usually offered a device mounted in the air intake tract called "thermostart" on their own products. Thermostart accomplishes much the same thing as glow plugs without a lot of the drawbacks. JD also offered thermostart under a different name on some of their large diesels. Frankly, I like it better than the glow plugs. It might be possible to adapt to your 4100. I would like to hear about it if you are interested in giving it a try, and might be able to help you find the parts.
COme to think of it, with the block heater you probably won't need any other help. I believe that a block heater beats any type of hot wire ignition help.

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Tom Fenelon

2000-12-04          22128

4100 comes standard with glow plugs, just turn the key to light up the dash for about 30 seconds prior to starting -then crank. I've also had good luck with block and transmission heater -last year started down to -15 F. Also you need to verify you are using a winter fuel conditioner as well as a winter blend of diesel. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-05          22131

Tom is right on about the 4100 having glow plugs. This is how they operate according to the JD tech manual. They are energized when the key switch is placed in the start position, and can be pre-heated by turning the key switch to the run position. After 3 seconds a timer module opens and the ground path for the glow plugs is removed. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2000-12-05          22132

Thanks everyone for your replies. I researched it further - sure enough, the 4100 does have glowplugs, at least according to the Tech Manual. Silly me, I read and was following the operators manual , which makes no reference to waiting for the glow plugs to warm up the comp. chambers. I have noticed that the operator's manual is lacking in a few areas - love the tractor though! ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-05          22133

Dave, it's sure interesting that the operators manual neglects this little tidbit of info about the 4100. Are you aware of the differences in the engine oil fill capacity? ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2000-12-05          22136

No, was unaware of differences in fill capacity for engine oil. I'm getting ready to do my first oil change though, so I'm gonna find out!
Incidentally, I purchased addtional filters and "Break-In" Motor Oil from JD per the User's Manual - the Manual recommends "Break-In" Oil for the first 100 hours of Operation - which seems reasonable to me. Has anyone else used the "Break-In" Oil? Any thoughts on it? I assume that "Break-In" Oil has extra surfectants to help float contaminates so that filtering will get the extra goodies One usually finds in a new engine. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-05          22137

Check out this thread for insights for info on the oil change for the 4100. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-05          22138

Lets try that again ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-05          22139

Forget it ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-12-05          22150

Dave Wells my JD4100 does the same thing. I won't go into the details but I have had a rather lenghty and unsuccessful battle with my dealer to get it fixed. Tomorrow I will call the JD customer service 800 number and see how that goes. I don't know if you have contacted your dealer about you concerns but I think it would be a good idea. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Scott S.

2000-12-06          22177

Dave,

Regarding your JD4100, where did you get the block and hydrostatic heaters? I went to the JD dealer and the guy told me he didn't think they made any for the 4100. That doesn't sound quite right to me. Are they a JD product or an aftermarket product? Thanks.

Scott S. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-12-07          22215

I contacted the JD customer service 800 number today. It was painless, simple to use, and the service rep. was very polite. Arrangements have been made for me to take the tractor to a different dealership for repairs. I will reserve judgement until after the repairs have been made. One thing that I found promising was that a "file number" is assigned to your complaint and you are given instructions to call back to a specific person during each step of the repair process. I will keep the board posted on this one. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2000-12-07          22219

Scott, both heaters were John Deere products. The heater elements look like very small versions of the elements in an electric hot-water heater. The block heater is installed towards the back of the engine, right-hand side, above the fuel filter. The heater element is only about 1 inch long, and is mounted in a flange that is bolted to the engine after a freeze-plug is pulled. The block heater kit consists of the heater element, the mounting flange & 2 bolts, a gasket for the flange, a power cord, and a clamp for the power cord. The Transmission/Hydraulic Oil heater element is about 6 inches long, and is installed in place of the drain plug on the bottom of the Transmission sump, behind the hydraulic oil filter. That installation location is per John Deere - someone told me in one of these posts that they had installed theirs in the filter screen on the back of the tractor, underneath the PTO output shaft. I plan to install mine in place of the drain plug, since that's the bottom of the sump, and I think the Hyd. Oil heater would be most effective there. The Hyd. Oil heater kit consists of just the element and the power cord. Both heaters are powered by 120VAC. The consensus seems to be that plugging in the heaters for about 30 minutes before using the tractor works very well. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Joe Murphy

2000-12-08          22253

you might want to have your system checked. My partsbook shows the 4100 having glowplugs as standard equip. You might want to check your owners manual for starting procedures, you may not be heating them. You ccan also check with a tert light to besure they are geting power when in the heat mode. Glow plugs should be located just to the side of the valve cover on the little flat area not covered by valve cover. Just above the injectors. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-12-12          22379

Well the JD dealer called today and said he couldn't find anything wrong with the 4100. He claims it is normal behavior for the thing to cough and gag in cold weather. Perhaps it is just the nature of the beast. If that is the case, I will buy a different brand of beast next time. ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-12-12          22384

Larry, since we just got a good snow and it's cold out what would your dealer say to you trying to start other 4100's on the lot? (other models too) Provided they are outside and cold you could get a good comparison to how yours is acting. It may instigate a solution or resolve the debate. Just thinking outside the box. Good Luck! ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
DFB

2000-12-12          22387

Larry, I would be interested in hearing some details about your starting problem. I also have a new 4100.(delivered Jul 2000) Recently it has been stored outside under a tarp in -0 temps. Ran it yesterday. Started easy, worked the preheat cycle (3 sec each) 3 times before firing, just a wisp of smoke, and smooth idle. Throttle was just cracked open a little about 1/4 open When it was garaged it seemed to smoke more on startup. The book says to warmup at 1/2 throttle. Start at 1/2 to 3/4. Do you use that much throttle on startup? ....

Glow Plug Add-On

View my Photos
Dave Wells

2000-12-15          22486

To All who responded to my original post, a big thanks. After doing some research on the glow plug issue, I wanted to post one last message. First off, the 4100Hydro DOES have glow plugs. They are energized for 3 seconds when ignition key is first turned on. This seems a little short, but I've found that by repeatedly turning the switch off & then back on & waiting for 3 seconds, I can get however long a warmup I need. One idea I had was to wire in place of the control relay a Normally-Open Push-Button switch, then I could simply hold the glow plugs energized for as long as I wanted. After I use the tractor for a a while, I'll decide if it's enough of a problem to warrant adding the switch, or putting another kind of fix in. I also wanted to clarify the "smoke on startup" issue. My tractor does smoke on startup - for 2 seconds maybe if it's really cold. That doesn't seem unreasonable, considering the nature of diesels. When a cold diesel is started, even if glow plugs are used to preheat the combustion chamber, there will be a finite (but hopefully brief!) period of time when complete combustion does not occur, and the unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust pipe as smoke. As soon as the engine combustion chambers warm up enough to allow complete combustion of the fuel, no unburnt fuel goes out the exhaust, ergo no more smoke. I wanted to clarify this - I hope I didn't start the notion that someone has a problem. My copy of the Operators Manual for the 4100Hydro leaves a few things out, in addition to having some glaring errors. Thanks again to all who responded - it's those willing to answer these posts that makes this board such a useful tool. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login