Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-09-10          19676

Just ordered a new 4300 JD Hyd. 4WD with a 430 Loader, 59" Snowblower and a Curtis Soft Side Cab. The questions I have are: anybody had any experience with the Curtis Cab, how tough to put on and do you leave it on all year? With the blower and loader I am debating on putting fuild in the tires which are R4. I have heard of some people putting in -25 windshield wash instead of calcium. I live in cold climate so has to have freezing capabilities. I don't think the windsheild wash would be corrosive.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Chuck

2000-09-13          19771

I have 4300 4WD HST with 430 loader. I would highly recommend having as much rear weight as possible when the loader is attached. Last week I almost rolled over when going down a steep hill with empty loader, no ballast and 2 wheel-drive mode. The weight of the loader caused the back wheels to lose all traction so I had no brakes. The tractor simply took off coasting down the hill as fast as gravity could pull it and I had no way to stop it! Take my advice and have fluid put into your rear wheels, attach a ballast box or other heavy rear implement, and also use 4WD when the loader is attached. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark

2000-09-16          19841

Chuck, thanks for the reply. I will definately use ballast of some sort. Talked to a very knowledgable person on chemicals and said windshield wash was a very bad choice. I was told it is corrsive and also very flammable. Waiting for the new 4300 to show up, can't wait to get it. How has your 4300 been for reliablity and power?

Mark ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Chuck

2000-09-18          19885

Mark

Only have 21 hours on the 4300 but so far I've been very pleased with the power and reliability. Moved a rock yesterday with the loader. It was 20"X20"x1'. Guess it weighted at least 500 lbs. Loader picked it up like a feather! Finally got some ballast for my ballast box. Used 8 bags of Quik-Kete at 60 lbs per bag plus some bricks. Makes a big difference. FYI the JD4300 owners manual says to use "a solution of water and calcium chloride" as wheel ballast and that it should be installed by the JD dealer or a tire service store. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
kay

2000-09-18          19886

Mark. Your source of information is highly questionable.
How could windshield washer fluid be corrosive and/or explosive if it is used on the windshield of a car???
It does not weigh as much as calcium chloride. Other than that, it works great as added cheap weight in tractor tires. Calcium chloride is more expensive, not easy to do it yourself, and is quite corrosive; although not too bad if kept in the tire (no leaks) and if the tire is filled above the rim so no air gets to the steel rim, assuming there is no tube. But, check it out, so you feel comfortable with your decision. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark

2000-09-18          19904

Chuck, glad you are haveing good luck with your 4300, always good to have positive comments to reinforce my purchase decision.

Kay, what I was told by a individual that actually manufactures windshield wash is that it is possible for vapor to delvolop under the pressure of the tire, since it methanol alcohol. It would take a strange event to ignite this, but possible. As far as being corrsive, the fluid is in a plastic storage bottle in a car. Once sprayed on the windshield the methanol in the windshield wash evaporates rapidly when exposed to the air, so no problem with the car. When stored and not exposed to air I am told this stuff will eat away at metal big time. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
TomG

2000-09-19          19906

I seem to recall a comment awhile back that said some tire repair shops won't work on tire filled with windshield washer fluid. I believe it had to do with enviro regs, maybe in one state, maybe nationally. Good idea to check that out before using windshield fluid.

Windshield washer, CaCl and ethyl-glycol anti-freeze all have disposal problems. CaCl will sterilize the ground and corrode wheels if it leaks. CaCl is often used in tubes. Non-toxic anti-freeze is available, and I'd use that unless the extra weight of CaCl is actually needed. I'm not sure one liquid fill is any more difficult to install than any other.

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2000-09-19          19908

Mark,I am no help on filling the tires,but if you are as satisfied with your 4300 as I am with my 4400 HST 4x4,you will be quite pleased,its enjoyable to just get out and work with the tractor!!!!
Lots of luck with your 4300
Green is beautiful ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark

2000-09-20          19951

Hillbilly, thanks for the positive comment on the green machine. After reading all the negative and problem posts on this and other sites a guy starts to wonder if he made the right choice. How many hours do you have on your 4400? Any problems to date with your tractor? I just attended a hardware trade show, I saw a ton of John Deere items from frig magnets to bird houses to floor tile. Didn't see a single Kabota or NH item.....not quite the same degree of loyality and history. I know I made the right choice! ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Art White
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-09-21          19970

Many people on this and other sites talk about how corrosive calcium is. I wonder why it is the number one ballast used by farmers who make there living of there land? Being a dealer for tractors and having a life time in this buisness I don't worry about it! When we are replacing rims from rust they are on tractors that are at least 30 years old and older. It is the cheapest ballast you can buy. On your bais ply tires you will do fine with it. Radial tires don't do as well with ballast of any kind in them as it reduces the ability of the tire to work. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Hillbilly

2000-09-21          19971

I have put about 90 hours on this tractor since July of this year,working it hard,I have not had any problems as of yet,no regrets either.I really test a tractor sometimes but I dont abuse it,I take care of everything and always use John Deere oil etc and save my receipts.John Deere 4000 series are the Land Rover of tractors,lots of imitations but only the real thing will do for me. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Kenny

2000-09-21          19977

I just thought I would add my two cents worth about rear tire ballast. In our area, the chemical of choice is magnesium-chloride. It is supposed to be less corrosive and less harmful to the soil in the event of a leak. It is also not flammable. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-21          19979

Rural ways of doing things change slowly. I imagine calcium chloride was about the only reasonable choice for tire fluid at one time. Now there are others. The bio-safe antifreezes look like a good choice. I see that RV antifreeze is used to keep water tanks in campers from freezing....So it would seem to be a reasonable fluid.
Regarding the additional weight that you get from Calcium Chloride dissolved in water: I have experimented with this many times. It is said to be possible to get the mixture to 1.3 times the weight of water, but everytime that I get it to a weight of 1.2 times the weight of water the mixture begins to form crystals and precipitates out of solution. While any additional weight is not to be sneezed at, it seems hardly worth the trouble for weight alone.
CaCl is sure cheap enough. $20.00 will buy more than you want to have around. Mix it in something that will take the heat because it gets HOT when you dissolve it. Add the salt to the water, and do it slowly. I use an old fiberglass trash can and mix it with a wooden broom handle. Mix up some and judge how corrosive it is for yourself. It won't take too long. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark

2000-09-21          19982

Thanks to everybody for the comments. After hearing more about the ballast issue, I have decided to buy external weights instead of filling the tires. I spoke with my dealer and he stated they avoid putting fuild in tires anymore. All the new tractors have tubeless tires which means putting in a tube to use calcium, or not and using a product like R/V antifreeze. I would think with time a tubeless tire would start to allow product to weep out. Another thing that swayed me to weights is if I get a punture, no big deal to fix it. If I need to remove off tractor, it is light enough to handle. Waiting for my new Green machine to arrive, looking forward to that day! ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-22          19987

Mark, I have to chuckle at your decision to go with wheel weights. I try to help out people who want fluid in their tires by drawing on my own experiences trying various fluids.....But it suddenly dawns on me that for my own tractors (now 3 of 'em) I have gone completely to wheel weights. I no longer run any type of tire fluid. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-09-23          20011

Windshield washer fluid is extremely flammable in a vapor form. You take your tire to a dealer who has no idea what is in the tire. The tire people pump it out into a barrel to save to put back. Lots of alcohol vapors. Another tire guy working on a part with a toruch near the barrel... it has happened. If you just gotta use something in side the tire use the industry standards not the back yard thought up better ideas. Bolt on wheel weights are the best choice. ....

JD 4300 Winter Items

View my Photos
Mark

2000-09-23          20024

Harvey, I agree 100%. I know of people who have put in windshield wash, and I was considering it as well. It seems so harmless, I mean you put it in a plastic bottle in your car and spray it on your car. I think people forget it is a alcohol product and will produce vapors which are flammable. I am for sure going with external weights. I just can't decide if I want a ballast box or go with the hang on weights which I could use on the front or rear as needed. Thought about making a bracket to hang on three point, the loader comes with a bracket for the front. Any thoughts on this? ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login