Go Bottom Go Bottom

meeting john deere augusta

View my Photos
scott slavin
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-30          19307

The John Deere TEAM has assembled some choice customers to discuss any changes with their current 4000 series line up. any comments or suggestions for the group?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-30          19308

Scott--I am deeply saddened that JD didn't invite me since my list is rather long AND JD used me as a field tester for one of their new 4400's over a year and a half ago--they just didn't tell me I was going to field test one of their very flawed tractors. JD should be told to do their own field testing and do a thorough job BEFORE bringing out any new tractors and SUBSTANTIALLY IMPROVE THEIR QUALITY CONTROL--there is NO excuse for the number of problems that some of us have experienced (or are continuing to experience) with our 4xxx tractors. After more than a year and a half, all of the bugs are still not out of my tractor. ALSO, JD should take an interest in their customers and create a chain of command similar to that of the auto industry so that complaints can be dealt with in an orderly fashion up through a corporate structure until the complaints are satisfied. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-30          19316

OK Scott, you asked for thoughts. So here goes:
I'd better say right off that I'm not a tractor dealer, and don't have any affiliation with any brand. But I think tractors are great fun, and enjoy helping where I can. So for the past few years I've had the privilege of serving as a sort of informal "sounding board" for owners with tractor problems. Mostly this means a lot of e-mail correspondence from owners who are not happy with their machines. Many of these are first-time tractor owners. They are aware that they are novices, and aren't absolutely sure if they have a problem or not. And they are confused by the answers that they have been given at the dealership.
It isn't any secret that many of the problems this time have been JD 4000 series problems...But sooner or later every manufacturer is going to have similar problems, and can learn from JD's experience. The main complaint that I keep hearing is NOT that there are mechanical problems - the owners understand that new designs have problems. What they don't like is feeling that they are being ignored - this makes them angry. The company could benefit from having an honest and knowlegeable person that disgruntled owners could talk to.... A lot of time the owners would be happy if they just knew that their problem was treated seriously by the company. Better yet, maybe the customer's analysis of their problem could even have some value to the company. In my opinion, the company should be sending "thank you" letters for legitimate complaints.
The present policy of having the dealer as the only conduit for sending customer complaints to the parent company needs improvement. This is not a knock against the dealers; everyone is aware of the value of a knowledgeable third party.
Most people who talk to me have already talked to their dealer. Some have spoken to the manufacturer as well. After doing so, they still don't have the slightest idea if anyone believes that the problem is real...which means they don't know if anything can or will be done to fix it. In fact they still don't know if anything is going to happen at all. And they don't know when all of this may or may not happen....They can't even confirm that the dealer has talked to the manufacturer...and if he has, they have their doubts about what was conveyed. Many are dismayed that the dealer treats their problem like it has never been heard of before, when they know darn well from forums like this one that they have a common problem. At its worst, they may know that other dealers are fixing the problem with factory backing when their own dealer still doesn't believe that there is a problem.
Setting up better communication between the manufacturer, owner, and dealer should be simple. Making it interactive via a dedicated web site would be a modern and efficient way to do this. Customers want to feel proud of the products that they buy. This forum has shown that the customer may want to gripe a little, but he also wants to feel like his griping has made a change happen. He would like for his problem to lead to a solution. After all, it is the customer's company too.

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-30          19317

A BIG AMEN to Roger Loving's eloquent comments. I tried to communicate this same idea in the previous posting, but it is very difficult to be so eloquent when you are so pissed about having wasted $20K of hard-earned money on a green tractor that, after more than a year and a half, has worked 100 percent correctly only 10 percent of the time and still needs more fixes that seem to take forever to get accomplished. It is my fervent hope that JD listens and creates a public relations position for a consumer affairs staff because JD gives the impression that they really don't care. Excellent thoughts, Roger. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-31          19318

Eloquent! Well, well....thanks for the kind words, Mike....
And thanks even more for giving me a chance to present the idea in a shorter format:
I agree, $20K is a rotten deal for a tractor that works right only part of the time..
But what if the same price bought not only the tractor, but also an honest effort to make it better? Suppose the price also got you the ear of an advocate at the factory who could communicate ideas and fixes both ways....Plus the fun of being part of a group of people who are trying to build it better? I'm just old-fashioned enough to think that the deal just got a whole lot better for the customer and the factory both.
I think that such a consumer/designer interface would work for any brand of tractor, and it would be an advantage whether or not there are "teething problems" with any particular design.

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-31          19319

Scott, How does a customer get his wishes for design changes to the TEAM in Augusta? I would welcome the opportunity to offer suggestions. ....

View my Photos
scott slavin

2000-08-31          19321

Thank you all for your responce in a short time frame but a simple answer to yur question on how to improva a 4000 series tractor.......Is through the dealer network.....and customer survey responces.
other suggestions are welcome.
scotty ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-31          19324

Yes, the dealer network already exists and is the only way that the customer can have physical connection with the factory. What I am suggesting is an augmentation to the existing way of distributing information - not a replacement... A way of turning customer frustration into customer support. Two things that leave an impression on me are: the power of websites such as this one, and the fact that during the last year the traditional "customer to dealer to factory" communication could stand some improvement.
Policies that have worked fine for the dealer and local farmers for a century didn't suddenly jump into place fully grown. These things evolved. And the existing policies are not yet completely addressing the small acreage tractor owner's needs. What better place to try something new than with the new 4000 series? I think that there is an opportunity here.

View my Photos
Doug Huebner

2000-08-31          19329

Even though I really like my 4300, I am very dissapointed in the level of quality and number of problems that I have had. [everything from a leaking PTO to a loader hydralic arm that broke off at the weld]. When I bought the JD, it was partly based on the expected quality of the machine. Perhaps the farm tractors fair better, but I have read a lot of complaints about the utility as well as the L&G tractors.

I think they need to improve a bit on their design [like a stronger connection for the loader hydraulics] and their quality control. The PTO leak and a massive leak in the back hoe were caused by damaged seals and o-rings, apparently at installation. Fortunately my dealer has been very accomodating - so perhaps some incentive from the comapny to the dealers would be useful for those who have non-responsive dealers. Like some car companies has new owners rate their dealers. ....

View my Photos
Brad Sauter

2000-08-31          19331

Here's one for the team at Augusta. They lost a sale. I came real close to buying a 4300. I had a 6 year old Kubota B2150HSD that served me well all along. No problems, no breakdowns. I wanted a newer generation tractor so I looked at Blue, Orange and Green. Liked them all. I have a reputable JD dealer five miles from my place and Kubota 6 miles. I grew up with John Deere, always loved them. But there are tooooooo many quality problems with the 4xxx. And the HST drives very difficult compared to the others. Manager at the JD store was showing me a couple things on the 4300 and, lo and behold, they were broken or stuck. He apoligized and said the shop would fix them. Shook my confidence. I really like the tractor and the layout of the operation. Didn't like the feel of it and the quality. It's a shame. I bought a Kubota B2910HSD at my local dealer who is great. I decided that I didn't want to hassle with the problems of the JD. I feel sorry for all the guys that are experiencing problems and hope they get it taken care of. A tractor should be a fun workhorse, not a pain in the a$# and a constant source of frustation. I am also not saying all JD 4xxx are bad. They are some that will never give a lick of problem to the owners. ....

View my Photos
Al

2000-08-31          19332

Scott, thanks for remembering us JD4000 series owners on this board.
Roger's statements reflect exactly my experience and sentiments about how Deere has been dealing with me and others.
JD's Customer Service standard operating procedures are appalling. The process of returning to the first line dealer to seek remedy to problems which are not in their authority only creates increased owner frustrations and gives Deere an added layer of disingenuous concern. That in effect is to only help to bolster Deere sales by trying to present to potentional customers Deere's personal service commitments with the injection of a human body, namely the dealer sales person. This circular response pattern of their SOP doesn't serve a positive purpose to the owner of a Deere product with a problem. If the dealer must get authority from the Area Service Rep to proceed with warranty issues, then the owner should seek resolutions to problems directly from the individual with the authority, the ASR.
I would like to see Deere pattern their Customer Service much like the Japanese car manufacturer Toyota. Their concern for my satisfaction is paramount even though the vehicle I purchased from them was only $14K out the door. The purchase price of my Deere tractor with implements was $8K more! Toyota understands that their reputation is very important to their bottom line.
As it stands, it appears that Deere isn't the least bit concerned about their reputation or the owners of their equipment. Their concerns are more founded that they gain new sales from unknowing consumers with their catchy marketing trademark "Nothing Runs Like a Deere."
Deere needs to realize the future stability of their company lies in positive owner satisfactions and not initial sales. Future purchases of equipment, services, parts and positive word of mouth communications from satisfied, proud owners of Deere products are what will insure the longevity of their company in todays highly competitive global marketplace. ....

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-08-31          19336

Scott, I think that what the above posts are saying is that, in any business, with competition as keen as it is today, every company must place the customer and his satisfaction as its number one priority. Satisfaction breeds resale, and although many are first time tractor owners as Roger says, many too are upgrading for various reasons. I've had great success with Deere and my dealer's service with my 4400, but got the feeling that the axle problem was "to be hushed", and not let out in the field. Ford has established some very bold replacement policies to maintain customer service, even though it was a Firestone mistake. They let everyone know they had a problem, but were fixing it. The bad press from Deere trying to save a few bucks in warranty service has caused many, many resales to orange & blue. In fact, if you look at the dissatisfactions on this forum, they're mostly Deere. I've heard your dealers have some sort of incentive for reduction of warranty service -- if this is true, I'd heartily suggest you rethink this program, and even give some sort of bonus to the dealer that receives the highest degree of customer satisfaction. In addition, I wrote a letter of praise to the 4000 series division President or manager (whatever his title) and didn't have the courtesy of a reply -- from anyone in his group. Any of our customers can reach me at any time, regarding any matter--particularly our machinery and service. We're not number one in our industry, but we're sure trying -- as is Kubota. ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-31          19340

Here Here, for all the previous post. I've spent over $51,000 on JD, tractor and attachments and have had a few problems myself. YOU BETTER WAKE UP JOHN DEERE!!! David ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-08-31          19341

I have two issues with JD customer service. My 4100 developed problems with all three injectors. Issue #1, terrible dealer service: My dealer gave me the "bum's rush" for 6 months and then agreed to pick up my tractor for repairs only after I stormed the service desk during a heavy sales period. After 2 weeks of letting my tractor sit in the rain in the dealer's parking lot they finally looked at it and agreed that it needed new injectors. Issue #2: The dealer informed me that JD would not replace the injectors but they would rebuild them. I don't want rebuilt defective parts on my machine, I want factory spec. new parts!!!!!!!!!!! The result is that the 4100 still does not run right and my next compact utility tractor will be blue or orange. To summarize, you got me once but you will never get me again. ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-31          19344

I totally agree with all the above comments about the sorry response from John Deere concerning complaints about the John Deere 4000 series tractors. I will never purchase any thing John Deere because of no respond to my numerous compliants ,including register letters to Them. I finally contacted 1 person who give me invalid phone nos.
John Deere is to trying isulate their selves from the customers . Keep this up and will there no more customers.

Employees your job security is in jeopardy. Change management or start looking for new jobs now because lack of sells bring layoffs. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-31          19345

I don't see this as a JD problem; I see it as an industry problem.
1. What I seem to be hearing is that the tractor owners are disappointed when they have mechanical problems - but basically would be satisfied if the dealer was equally concerned and motivated.
2. On the other hand, a lack of straightforward communication with the dealer and factory will turn an owner's disappointment into anger.
I admit to some frustration myself...Why are these two simple concepts so difficult for manufacturers to understand??
And guys, please note that JD is at least making some attempts to figure out what makes their customers happy and sad! I don't think that this is due to 4000 series problems, but has been their policy for more years than any of us have been around. When is the last time that you heard from any of the other manufacturers whose tractors are discussed on this forum? ....

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-09-01          19360

You have a point, Roger... a GOOD point. Let's hope this meeting in Agusta brings some positive results! Personally, I hate to see a good company losing its position. ....

View my Photos
Dan McCarty

2000-09-01          19368

Scott,

I understand you are wanting to get information about new features to put in the 4000 series tractors. But that is not what you are getting so far.... 8-)

The issues of reliablity that others are bringing FAR OUTWEIGH any new tractor features. How the Customer is treated and feels is much more inmportant than a cup holder, twisting chair, or telescoping arms.

As someone who is looking at getting a tractor within the next year, hopefully sooner, this board is my primary source of tractor information. JD needs to go read these two boards. They need to pay attention to what is being said. I see very few complaints about Orange or Blue tractors.
But I see quite a few on Green 4000s. Now this might be a small sampling of owners. I don't know. But it is the only group I have to learn from. And I have learned more from these two boards just lurking and reading over the last few months than I could every learn talking with dealers.

The other reality of JD and the other tractor makers is they need to change their ways regarding marketing of their products. Why can't JD just publish their list prices on the web? I can go find the list price on a car and its add ons but I can't for a tractor. That is stupid. I have to spend DAYS just to find out prices for a product that I want to purchase. My plan for this afternoon was to go to another JD dealer but I got to busy. 8-( Maybe Saturday morning. My plan is to vist the four JD dealers withing 40 miles of my property. I'll do the same with Blue and Orange dealers. Partly this is to size up the dearlers but I HAVE to do it to find out prices. This is stupid and a waste of time.

I think the other reality of JD and others is that the market is changing and fast. Here in NC and I would assume the rest of the South, The Gold Leaf is going away and so is the small farmer. Industrial farming is taking over. Therefore who buys a 4000 or 5000 series tractor? It seems to me that it is the landowner with 10 acres or more but less that 100. At least that is what I'm seeing on these two boards. I know as I spent the last three years looking for land in the country that it was very obvious from what I saw and the farm stats that the number of farmers is decreasing rapidly, the age of the farmer is increasing rapidly, and the size of the farm is increasing. The market for small tractors has to be small landowners and landscapers.

This certainly seem to represent the vocal members on this list and tractorbyte.

Customer Service is a priority for me and others. I don't think there really is any manufactuer loyality anymore. Maybe with the farmers with a long line of experience. Customer Service and Reputation is going to win.

If you are still reading this, I'll finally answer the real question that you asked! 8-)

One of my uses for a tractor is to run a generator off the PTO. I noticed in the 4000 series marketing book that the engine will turn off if the operator leaves the seat and the PTO is running. How am I supposed to run my generator with this setup? I understand the safety utility but there should be a switch to turn this feature off. If I get a 4000 tractor the current design would force me to hack the wiring to turn this off when I need to use the PTO generator. This one simple feature likely will cause me to get a another brand.
I'm looking at the JD 5105 since it does not have this feature and has more HP. But as I look at other brands this switch will be an issue. I understand the decision that went into this feature but there should be away to turn it off.

Hope this helps....
Dan McCarty

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-01          19377

Aw shucks, I thought that we had a real disagreement. I could have said that it isn't "just" JD. Although then we wouldn't have had the fun of disagreement. Yes, I imagine that the problem does look bigger when you own one.
I'm sitting here reflecting on Chris's reply right before ours. Apparently his JD has most of the same problems that others have reported - although his approach to dealing with them is different from most. There is some good information in his message and I hope that Scott sees it. ....

View my Photos
Jeff

2000-09-02          19383

Scott,
I did not know about this bulletin board or the axle problem when I bought my JD 4400 in early July 2000, and did not find out about the axle problem until after purchasing my 4400.As my luck goes I have the old style axle ,my tractor was manufactured in 11/1999.I live in West Virgina and not too many people if any I know of around here use a tractor the size of a 4400 to mow with around (thus scuffing is not that a big issue that I am aware of around here,not to say it is not important to others though).I asked the service manager at my dealership about the scuffing issue and axle design, and he said he had not heard anything about it and I have to say I believe what he tells me,and I asked a saleperson at a JD dealership in Marietta Ohio and he said he had not heard anything about the scuffing issue, and I told him about this web page and he wanted to know the address so he could look and read about it.I get the feeling the old axle may be a heavier design than the new axle,I use my tractor on some rough ground and hills.But the new axle is easier on the turf if doing yard work etc.If the axle problem affects the resale value I think John Deere should offer a rebate of some sort and make it right with everyone.I emailed John Deere directly and a recieved a reply from a person whose name I dont have in front of me now(but I could find it)who replied and said "I talked to your dealer and they said they have not heard of any scuffing issues."I replied that was irrelevant,what do YOU at John Deere know about the scuffing issues,and that was the last time JD emailed me, no more replys, the subject was dropped no more conversation period. In my previous experience buying a car or new truck in the past usally the manufacture of the vehicle would follow up with at least a thank you and a questionaire on product and dealer satisfaction,I far as I know John Deere does not even know I exist,although I did get a thank you card from my salesperson at my dealership.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
scott slavin

2000-09-02          19384

Hey out there "Tractor Buddies" I have been following all of your posts and although I have not been following the threads for quite some time i have decided to keep a watch on the threads again.......To atleast confirm the fact that the " BIG BAD JOHN DEERE CORP." is watching and listening.
In fact a little birdie told me that they may be keeping there eyes on the messages. As promised before......I will be your sounding block and messenger if that is what it takes. My hats off to all those who wish to improve a product for all consumers.
AND I ASSURE YOU THAT ANY AND ALL ISSUES HAVE NOT GONE UNNOTICED.
Scotty ....

View my Photos
keith daniels

2000-09-02          19385

Huh,Scott,give them this to chew on....I currently own a Yanmar Grey 2500,and was planning to upgrade within a year,and JD is OFF my list.I see in this area all the landscapers and groundskeepers driving Orange.Huh,must mean something...I see no Green...So in seeing all the problems I'll be buying Orange thank you,I dont need the headaches,I WORK HARD for my money and I'll bet the JD owners do too,we aren't professional farmers,we expect it to WORK,WORK RIGHT,and the dealer to FIX IT when it ain't right.'NUFF SAID.

Keith ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-09-02          19397

Scott when John Deere has problems and ignores them , refusing to
acknowledge the inquries. that shows something is rotten in Denmark.
After several attempts to contact John Deere, including a registered
letter and no response. I feel they are trying to ignore me and the
problems will away. I am going to use any means possible to inform
everybody . DO NOT BUY JOHN DEERE unless you like junk. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-02          19405

Well doggone it Kenneth, it is no wonder that you are having trouble getting JD to talk to you. If you'll read your message over again I think you'll see what I mean. And sending a registered letter to a large corporation has got to be an exercise in frustration for all parties. I do a lot of contracting and consulting to a very large corporation, and frankly I doubt that mine even has a procedure for dealing with registered letters.
But regardless of whether letters are working or not, maybe we can get you some help with your tractor through the list here. We are probably getting off track of the subject of this thread - which is supposed to be "Ideas to help JD with their 4000 series"...But if you will start a new thread under the John Deere subject with exactly what model and serial number you own....and the history of your problems with it...I'll bet we can get to work on it. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-09-03          19408

OK, here is another item to put on the list to John Deere. I have a 4100 (I was going to buy a 4600 also but bought a Kubota instead because of the poor treatment about the axle problems from John Deere, not the dealer) which is generally a good machine. However, one of the hydraulic lines that runs near the mid-mount mower is too close to the PTO shaft so that the PTO rubs on the line and wears a notch in it. I brought it in once and had it replaced. When I asked about it later, I was told that John Deere was aware of it, was not going to do anything about it and said that the mowers should just be adjusted so they can't be raised as high. That would of course mean that if my grass is high and I want to mow it, I can't raise it high enough to do it properly. Just the attitude that they know and aren't going to do anything about it bothers me. How about an acknowledgement of the problem and that they are working on it? ....

View my Photos
Jeff

2000-09-03          19411

Scott,
In my previous letter I stated some of my feelings about the way the axle issue is being handled etc,but I for one do not think that John Deere is junk,far from it John Deere has some issues they need to work the axle and probably by the sounds of it some customer/manufacture dialogue is not very forthcoming in dealing with these problems and frustrations as well.They need to be more accesible and follow up on problems more from what I am seeing on this board.
But as far as John Deere being junk as mentioned in previous posts,I would strongly disagree,I have no quarrels about my JD 4400 performance,overall John Deere makes a great product and has good name reputation to go with it.
These are just my opinions and everyone else is entitled to a opinion as well. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-09-03          19425

Scott, what is the possibility that one of the members at the John Deere Augusta meeting could write a report on the "get together" for the rest of us? I won't be here to read it as I'm off on vacation for a few weeks....but if it generated half the interest that this thread did it would be worthwhile. ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-09-03          19439

This my position on John Deere not being concerned about their customers complaint. How our you supposed to air your problems if you cannot contact anyone because of company policy by phone or letter.Who do think they are. God -almighty. How arrogant can they be. That shows they could care nothing best about their customers . This make you feel like you are sucker to purchase John Deere. ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-09-03          19440

This my position on John Deere not being concerned about their customers complaint. How our you supposed to air your problems if you cannot contact anyone because of company policy by phone or letter.Who do think they are. God -almighty. How arrogant can they be. That shows they could care nothing best about their customers . This make you feel like you are sucker to purchase John Deere. ....

View my Photos
Randy Eckard

2000-09-05          19493

This is in response to the question of running a pto implement(generator) while off the seat. You can dismount the tractor with the REAR pto running if both the range shift lever and the gear shift are in nuetral. This does not work if the mid pto is engaged.
Randy ....

View my Photos
scott slavin

2000-09-07          19565

To All The Tractor Owners In Cyberspace.
I once again have to inform all of you that I will no longer be able to follow this or any other thread on the Jplan site. I started this thread after be prompted by some other collegues to solict your comments on the improvments to the 4000 series tractors. It is apparent that by starting this thread I have opened a Pandora's Box (yet again) And I cannot supply any answers or direction to all of your thoughts and ideas. I have over my career in several John Deere Dealerships held various jobs from Parts Department, CP Service Manager, CP Sales and most currently a position as a CP Sales Manager. I have and will remain loyal and dedicated to the Product I LOVE (JOHN DEERE) It is not only my Livelyhood it is my Passion. I am truely sorry for any mis-dirrection I have caused any of you, my appologies to the web master for the thread and its contents, and my sincere appologies to Deere & CO. for any statements or comments that have been inserted in ERROR. Any response to this post will not warrant a reply. I am truly sorry for my actions, and I have no good explanation for them.
Scotty ....

View my Photos
Anthony M. Parente

2000-09-07          19571

Scotty,
It has been said that the road to hell is paved with good intentions. Well, It seems that you have been getting "hell" on this forum. I have read many of the post on this board and have noticed that all "colors' have problems. I sold my JD755 and will take delivery of a new JD4700 next week. I have no fear of buying "green" and the JD dealer in the area is excellent.
Good luck and thanks for trying to help.
Tony ....

View my Photos
Bird Senter

2000-09-07          19572

I sure wish I understood some of this. I don't have any personal knowledge of the John Deere products and don't own any, but from reading the messages, it "appears" that owners' luck with John Deere products is entirely dependent upon the dealer, not John Deere. In addition to what I've read here, a neighbor who owns 3 John Deere tractors, John Deere hay balers, planters, etc. (died in the wool John Deere farmer for many years) has told me you cannot contact the company or get any response from them; just the dealer. And now a John Deere (or a John Deere dealer?) employee says he cannot even follow the threads on the forum, and can offer no reason? Did his employer come down on him for talking out of school? I guess I just simply don't understand. But I sure am glad I don't own any green equipment. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-09-07          19575

Scotty--thanks for your valiant attempt at helping us--the end users, as well as helping JD to produce a better product in their 4xxx line of compact diesels. While many of us were critical of either JD products OR the way that JD refuses to deal with the customer, NONE of the postings were aimed in a negative way at you and you caused NO harm in any way. IMHO, the summary of the postings in your thread was that JD needs to develop some customer relations and develop some way for the customer to go around a poor dealer in order to get the satisfaction for which they paid. More than ever, I am convinced that JD really doesn't give a rat's hiney about the individual customer and if their corporate bigshots would wake up and smell the green paint, they would see that their old ways (dealer support only) cannot work in today's marketplace because of competition and because some of the early 4200+ tractors have demonstrated that there is nothing magical about a green tractor (which I had to learn the hard way). ALSO, JD is still so old-fashioned that they do not recognize the power of the Internet in customers communicating satisfaction or dissatisfaction with JD products and services--JD would be amazed at how many private e-mail conversations regarding JD tractors and service that I have had with lurkers on the CTB alone. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-09-07          19576

Who knows what this is all about. You can certainly let your imagination run wild and dream up all sorts of sordid things. I agree with Mike S. that there was certainly no harm done by Scotty's efforts to gather information and there were no new revelations that came out. I really don't care if I can talk with John Deere or not as long as I can get resolution to any problem I might have. I guess this goes back to what has been said here many times, you need to shop for the dealer as hard as you shop for the tractor regardless of brand. ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-09-10          19684

Just want to say that that I was very un happy with my 4400 when I got it in Jan. but 1 e-mail to JD (from they're web site) and one to my dealer saying that I was glad that I financed the tractor through deere becouse if they didn't fix the axle then they could have it back! Untill then it was the same old story, " never heard of the scuffing problem" in truth My dealer said that my 4400 was thhe first one they changed and had a 4500 to do but that was the only two the have done. I love my 4400 now and still don't regret buying it and am very hapy with my dealer. as faar as improvements, the pedals could be easier and the SCV leveer is still in the way but not a real problem.I would be glad to anwser any ? if you have any.i'd still go green they now have it together just apply more pressure on the dealer. ....

View my Photos
ridge runner

2000-09-12          19746

I HAVE HAD MY 4300 FOR TWO YEARS NOW AND HAVE EXPERIENCED THE USUAL PROBLEMS LIKE EVERYONE ELSE AND HAD THEM CORRECTED UNDER WARRANTY. MY COMPLAINT IS THAT JOHN DEERE DOESN'T HAVE A NEWSLETTER OR SERVICE BULLETIN FOR 4000 SERIES OWNERS. THEY KNOW WE'RE OUT HERE AND MOST OF US ARE JD BELIEVERS SO I THINK THEY SHOULD KEEP US MORE INFORMED ABOUT THESE TRACTORS. I'D FEEL BETTER IF THEY SHOWED ME THAT THEY WERE CONCERNED ABOUT MY TRACTOR AND PROBLEMS. I THINK THEY SHOULD AT LEAST EXTEND OUR WARRANTIES FOR ANOTHER TWO YEARS. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-09-12          19767

Ridge Runner--having had several major repairs made on my 4400, I am in full agreement with you in all regards--especially the extended warranty. I have even wondered if there were enough needed major warranty repairs that a class action lawsuit might produce some results. Also--if it takes JD 20 months to get all of the warranty and PIP issues taken care of on my tractor, it would only seem reasonable to provide a longer warranty. While visiting with a representative of a JD dealership that only sells the big ag tractors, I was told that JD backs their major repairs on new tractors with a 2 year warranty on those repairs. While I cannot confirm this, it is of interest and I would be interested if anyone else has had the opportunity to see if JD does unofficially extend the warranty on major repairs. Mike S. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login