Go Bottom Go Bottom

Compact Tractors JD vs Kubota

View my Photos
MEG
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-24          19091

I am down to two tractors in my decision process. I am looking at the JD4700 4WD and the Kubota L4310, both with Hydrostatic Trans. and loader. Any advice based on prior experiences with the two tractors?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
droz

2000-08-24          19097

I just bought a L4310 after considering the JD4600. My dealer sells both and I probably would have bought the JD ( I have a 4100) but John Deere was really evasive about the axle problems and other things. The Kubota performs well and a few minutes ago I was removing the loader which is a "quick release" type. It actually worked very well and makes it much more likely I will keep it on or remove it as I need to, unlike some that are not easy to remove. I had one problem with a fuel gauge but that has been it so far. I do however, like the dual pedals for forward and reverse on the JD and the worst of all design on the Kubota is something simple. The lever to raise and lower the 3point hitch has a knob to use as a stop but unlike the JD, you can't bypass it quickly by moving the lever around it so it isn't really useful. Things like that make a difference and I hope they will change it. Otherwise I think it is "bulletproof". My dealer maybe makes more money selling Kubotas (which was also less expensive for me) but he raves about them and so do the mechanics I have talked to there. They are less impressed with the 4000 series. It will probably improve when they eliminate all the design flaws. ....

View my Photos
MEG

2000-08-24          19098

What design flaws are you talking about? Also, how was JD evasive to your questions about axles? Thanks for your input. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-08-24          19100

I knew ahead of time about the potential axle problems but wasn't sure I believed them so I went to the dealer and tried one out and it was terrible. So, I told him I wouldn't buy it that way. He said no problem, he would have a new one installed first. Then JD said I had to buy it first. That wasn't so bad but then JD said it would be 6 weeks before I would get it and that was a "JD estimate" which is usually grossly exaggerated (I have, as I said, the 4100 which I like and am not anti JD - the 4100 though is different from the other 4000 series - I have had to have a module replaced, a spindle from the mower that broke and have continuing problems with a poorly placed hydaulic line). They also only would replace it if I complained enough but if you didn't know about the axle they wouldn't tell you. As for other design problems, you should check this forum; there are lists of them. I am sure a few others will respond with more detail. One of the mechanics told me he had a lots of problems just setting the John Deere 4000 series up. There was really no reason for him to tell me that because he sells and works on both. Around here, the farmers tend to buy John Deere (old reputation?) and the contractors all have Kubotas. Of course, all of that being said, either of them will do well, as long as you have a good dealer the first two years of the warranty. ....

View my Photos
Roger L.

2000-08-24          19105

Congratulations droz, that's sure a nice tractor you decided on. ....

View my Photos
Bruce Lahmayer

2000-08-24          19106

I almost bought a 4000 series tractor when they were first coming out. But the lack of decent cab caused me to look at Kubota. To make the long story short I ended up with the Kubota Grand L4310. I was unaware of the JD engineering defects although I suspected that there may be some as is typical of new designs. The Kubota L series were new models also but really they were just refinements of the previous models. I considered that a positive. The way that I looked at it was that the Kubotas had already been through the teething difficulties that the 4000 series tractors now are experiencing. I have a hundred hours on it now and I would have to say I am very pleased. I was a little concerned about the treadle control for the hydrostatic at first. But I have gotten quited used to it and appreciate the extremely accurated control that it provides. I had not used the stop for the three point that was mentioned. The loader is strong and the lights up on the top of the cab make it fairly easy to use at night. My dealer also sells JD and the head mechanic considers the Kubotas to be less troublesome. The options that I have are the triple hydraulic valve, the quick attach bracket for the loader bucket, and the tip and tilt kit for the three point. I wish the 4WD control was within easier reach. And I wish it had telescoping lower links for the three point. The hydraulic center link for the three point is a little bit short so I had to extend the attachment point for it on my box blade. I have not needed any warranty work. I'm sold on the Kubota now. ....

View my Photos
droz

2000-08-25          19107

Bruce, I envy you with the cab model. That was the most beautiful cab I had seen and I longed for the air conditioning and radio etc. but I was worried about the damage I would cause if and when I dumped the tractor! ....

View my Photos
Greg Harrison

2000-08-25          19108

I too went thru the selection process.I read that the design and manufactoring partner for Deere was to change. I was afraid that the engineering problems would surface so I chose a Kubota L4310 GST. It is a great machine and is apparently bulletproof. Kubota makes their own machines and from reading the posts if there are problems you very rarely hear of them .. Try them all and what I did was go with the machine with the best KNOWN service record. Check it out!
Happy Tractoring
Greg h ....

View my Photos
dsg
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2000-08-25          19117

MEG, I took delivery of my JD4700 4wd hst the second week of July. 89 hrs so far and no problems with the tractor, I love it and would do it again. I did make sure when I ordered it, it would have all the most updated designs that the 4x series have had problems with. Any questions just e-mail me. David ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-25          19127

Thank your lucky stars that you did not purchase the John Deere 4600. I started to buy a Kubota but of because my past experience with the older models . I decided to buy John Deere. Much to my sorrow. John Deere must have not field tested the 4000 Series Trax . I have had trouble with the front axle ,engine block working loose from the rear end and oher problems. You will find that John Deere is not concerned with your problem. They are like Firestone trying to ignore your problem. BUYER beware. ....

View my Photos
MEG

2000-08-25          19128

I have heard that Eaton manufactures the transmission on the 4700 Hydro. Can anyone verify that? Also, I see a lot of posts about past problems with other models of the 4000 series. Is the 4700 too new to show any flaws or has JD fixed the problems on the 4700 design based on past problems with the other models? ....

View my Photos
Al

2000-08-26          19135

MEG, Eaton does manufacture the hydrostatic transmission for the 4X00s. ....

View my Photos
Jim Fisher

2000-08-26          19158

The transmission on my 4200 had a tag that said Funk Manufacturing, Coffeyville Kansas. I just traded up to a 4300 but I haven't yet had the oportunity to crawl underneath it. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login