Go Bottom Go Bottom

Did anyone get thier JD loader safety upgrade kit

View my Photos
Craig Dashner
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-08          18615

I got mine last night by UPS. It seems like a pain in the butt. It is easy to install, but it seems like it is going to rattle, wear off paint and just be a pain. I will have to get off the tractor to release the lock, get back on the tractor to lift the wheels, unlatch the front plate and remove the loader, get back off to undo the hoses, and put the retainer in its locked storage position.I think that I will keep it in the box, for when and if I sell my tractor, so the next guy can do the same thing! I think I will just inspect the front plate more often to make sure the fit is per the owners manual.I would perfer to drill a hole through the catch plate on the loader, through the front mounting plate on the tractor and have a pin of the appropiate length with cotterpin, that would keep the plate from coming out. In my book, easy fix! And much less expensive than that ugly thing that arrived last night. I can see engineers spending many long nights in designing that part, just so no drilling would be required, when drilling a hole was the best option.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Shawn in OK

2000-08-08          18621

Craig,
I have never heard of the safety kit you're talking about. However, on my 4200 w/ 420 loader, the first week I had it I was pulling fence posts and the loader fell off, very nearly injuring my Dad. After re-installing the loader (a real trick when on uneven, muddy ground) I noticed the engagement mechanism was not even close to being adjusted correctly. I adjusted it, and contacted my dealer, telling him I wanted a fix. On the 4200/420 there are pre-drilled holes on the front mounting plate of the tractor and loader. The dealer supplied 2 pins, washers, and pins. There's no way the loader will come off with this very simple fix. Is your setup different? ....

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-08-08          18635

My loader safety latch came Aug.1st united parcel, took about 1 minute to install. I read some place that if you keep the linkage adjusted properly there is less chance of it coming off. The little two finger like claw latch will be a slight pain but cheap and easy insurance, I do and will always use it. I will still keep my linkage adjusted as manual says but I don't even want to think about or worry about having a full bucket of anything and have that loader come off while I'm moving. My third SCV handle is very flimsy in the warm season but ok when it gets cooler, I work it by putting more of my hand on the metal part of the handle but I'm sure it's just a matter of time before it comes off. The older tractors 4020s and so on have a much stiffer type of rubber used on the levers I never had one of those come off or get loose. I think I was told that the third and fourth SCVs are after market items, it's sold by Deere but made by someone else. Terry I agree with you on a better hydraulic set up and the swivel seat, I would gladly pay a couple of hundred $ more for the hydraulic system like they put on the 5000 series tractors rather than the cheap cable set up on my 4600. I would up grade to a swivel seat in a heart beat. Getting my new axle installed today and some other things done, looking forward to operating with new axle. budinohio ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-08          18654

Craig--I was lead by my dealer to believe that this loader safety kit was for a very limited number of serial numbers. Does anyone know if this is a general issue for most loaders or a limited number of loaders??? Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-08          18655

Bud, I received my loader upgrage kit yesterday. I guess it makes sense if the loader falls off while in use. Deere's quick tach loader was one of the reasons I orginally purchased the Deere. I guess it is still pretty quick, just not quite as slick as it was. I suspect we'll just get used to it. I used my 4600 with the new axle today for the first extended use since it was installed. I was impressed. I do a custom mowing job that has been taking around 4 hours with the old axle. Today, I trimmed a half of an hour off the job with the new axle. With the old axle you had all of those forward-reverse cycles to mow around and obstacle. Today I was spinning around trees, fire hydrants, fence posts with the ease of my 445 garden tractor. Deere got it right this time. I'm still complaining about the oversensitive hydro pedals but the new axle has changed me from being angry with Deere to only a little disappointed. I still want Deere to make changes with the operator controls (swivel seat, better hydraulic controls, telescoping draft links for the three point). There is still some work to do to catch Newholland but with this new axle the gap is narrowed considerably. ....

View my Photos
turfman

2000-08-09          18670

just a note for you disappointment terry. A friend of mine got a tc33d NH. he has never owned a CUT and I helped him take the loader and the mower off for the first time the other day. Let me just say the ergonomics of his trac, are nicer. but the functionality of quick atttachments is a joke. the loader must be perfectly lined up to hookup. the mower is a real pain, must use the loader to push the front off the ground to get the mower out and the height adjustment is hard too. The biggest thing is the power of the NH, it is much underpowered compared to mine. For only 2 HP diff it will not even come close to my JD when pushing the bucket. I was really suprised. It is an excellent mowing machine. and adequate for general use, but I don't think it would hold up as well as my JD's for my purposes. ....

View my Photos
Dave

2000-08-09          18672

yeah, but NH owners don't have to take their tractors in for recalls every 3 months like JD 4000 series owners do. I pitty you JD 4000 series owners. I don't know how you stand it, dupped by JD's past reputation and spending 20K, only to purchase flawed engineering (scuffing, trans hop) and rushed assembly (knobs falling off, mis-adjusted linkages, trans hop etc). An extra 5-10 mins for putting a NH or Kubota implement on over the JD's implement is well worth the better quality tractor. ....

View my Photos
Greg franklin

2000-08-09          18681

Please tell me what loaders are affected and how. I have an 870 with 440 loader which probably is OK (I hope) but am still curious. Thanks Greg ....

View my Photos
Larry in MI.

2000-08-09          18683

Greg, the latch retainer update does refer to the 870 but only with the 420 and 430 loaders. There is no mention of the 870 with the 440 loader. In fact there is no mention of the 440 loader throughout the manual so I think you are safe. I have a 410 loader on the 4100 so I installed the retainer. It does detract from the ease of use and I may remove it since I have never had a problem. Besides I am not very impressed with the design. It is loose and clunky and the spacer shape is a never ending source of wonder. It does provide the proper spacing but it is an inverted "L" shape that appears to have no function aside from providing the proper spacing. It constantly bangs against the paint job. Why didn't JD just provide an ordinary washer that provided the proper spacing instead of the weird looking "L" shaped piece of metal that is the proper thickness? If anyone has an answer I would sure like to hear it. ....

View my Photos
Chris in IN

2000-08-09          18685

Greg the information sheet that came with the safety lock says that it applies to the 410, 420, 430 & 460 loaders.

Chris ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-09          18686

Thanks Dave for rubbing some of our noses in our unfortunate situations with our troublesome Deeres (i.e., those of us that are blessed with them). The one thing that you left out is that perhaps some of us misunderstood the Deere motto that NOTHING RUNS LIKE A DEERE. Two small gleams of light with your comment is that what you said may have a great deal of truth in it for some of us Deere owners AND I already feel so bad about a year and a half of troubles with my 4400HST combined with the thought that I spent about $20K of hard earned money in order to get these problems that your comment could not make me feel any worse. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Dave

2000-08-10          18701

I apologize Mike. I didn't mean to rub anyone's nose in this sour affair. I just meant to convey my empathy, even though it didn't come across that way. I can't imagine my anger, if I had purchased one with the problems that have been coming out of the wood work on these message boards. I hope you get everything straightened out on your machine. You are right, 20k of hard earned cash is hard to come by. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-10          18712

Dave--actually I had not taken offense at your statements since they were accurate for some purchasers of the JD4200+ tractors and sometimes the truth hurts. Since my JD tractor has had so many issues during its 19 months of ownership, I do not feel like defending it because I lack the pride of ownership that I so much desired when I purchased a Deere product--for a reason that is now very elusive, I mistakenly felt that green was better. However, had someone chastised one of my Kubotas or my Yanmar, then it would have been time for me to contact my friend, Guido, for his personal assistance in changing their minds since I still have tremendous pride of ownership for my previous tractors that were always dependable and trouble free for over 99 percent of the time that I owned them. Two months ago the linkage upgrades were supposed be available for the dealer to install when they replaced the transmission and brakes and front end. Two months ago the green piece of sheet metal came in and that was all--when I inquired of my dealer recently when the linkage upgrades would arrive, they said that JD would get back to them about it. Last weekend I began looking at orange tractors and at blue tractors although I would probably take such a beating for a trade that it is unlikely I could afford to trade since I have already spent all of the money that I saved for a tractor. For me, purchasing my JD4400HST (with 430 loader, belly mower and forks) has been the single worst financial decision I have ever made since the tractor was meant to be my last tractor and last through my retirement that begins in a couple of years. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
KlayW in MI

2000-08-10          18717

Mike S., Did you or have you contacted Deere Customer service yourself? IMHO Had I gone through what you have the past 19 months, I'd a drove the tractor through the front door of the dealer to return it for a full refund! Maybe the dealer isn't much at fault but they do have the John Deere sign out front and represent Deere in the matter. You would get somebody's attention. ....

View my Photos
Jim Warrell

2000-08-11          18722

Dave, don't burn up all of your pity at once. My JD 4300 and it't 5 implements and the "old axel" work very well. I would buy this tractor over again without a second thought, from the same dealer. ....

View my Photos
Eddie Watkins

2000-08-11          18750

I received my safety latch 8/2. It took longer to get to the shop than it did to install it. I will use it just in case. I would sure hate to have somebody get hurt. I have had my 4300 since March and have had no problems. I am still amazed at how much work it can do and save me. I can understand some of your frustrations, though. I bought a new JS60 lawn mower w/ Briggs engine from the same dealer I bought my tractor from. The engine blew up after 3 hours mowing. I took it back and the dealer has offered to replace it with a new one or let me apply the purchase price to JX75 w/Kawasaki engine at my request. I guess I will spend the extra money to get a Kawasaki engine but I would have preferred that the original one work right. ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-12          18793

ClayW--regarding your suggestion to contact JD Customer Service--I have phoned them and e-mailed them AND have even written the executive in charge of compact diesel tractors. Their communications center handled all of my inquiries or complaints. A year ago, when I questioned customer service about the lawn-scuffing issue, they were unaware of it and upon checking with their superiors, were still unaware of it. Each inquiry or complaint was handled with a friendly customer service rep that did not have a clue about any of the issues that I raised. Even the letter written personally to the eexecutive officer was handled by JD's communications center with a phone call and the person at the other end having no knowledge of the issues that I raised. In case you are wondering, I was polite and business-like in all correspondence. If it were an automobile company, your suggestion of contacting customer service would work pretty well, but JD expects the customer to work only with the dealer. My dealer is fine, except that some other dealer's customers with troublesome tractors that had fewer problems than mine did get new tractors. I even offered a cash bonus and suggested that they transfer the mower and loader to the new tractor and sell my previous tractor without a belly mower and JD would not have to spend $3500 repairing the front with the idea that JD, my dealer and I would all win. I was told that the area JD rep said NO. If this was an automobile, the Missouri lemon law would have required a replacement, but the lemon law doesn't extend to tractors, unfortunately. After all of the repairs, it is slowly leaking transmission fluid from an axle seal (seals were replaced when the brakes were replaced) and the forward pedal doesn't always rise back up immediately after taking my foot away, so I never know if it is going to stop or keep on going another 5 to 20 ft. And once in a while it will not run in road gear on a level road--it just loses RPMs like the brakes are dragging. Other than these issues and the belly mower leaving stripes of taller grass, it now seems to run fine and the loader works great. Mike S. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login