Go Bottom Go Bottom

JD 790 Oil Drain Plug Stuck

View my Photos
Astrobiker
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2012-11-05          185390

I have a 2002 JD 790 4WD and I've changed the oil 4 or 5 times on since I've had it. This model has the drain plug on the side of engine block. I tried to drain the oil this weekend for another oil change but drain plug seemed to be stuck. In fact the bolt head is damaged from my efforts to remove it. I am thinking my only option now is to order a new drain plug and get a damaged bolt remover set from Sears to get the plug out. Has anyone else had this problem? Any other ideas on how to fix it?

Thanks!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-11-05          185393

Yes, but not with a tractor.
Mine was an XUV Gator transmission drain plug. The plan was to drai n and refil the original fluid, but the plug was stuck fromthe factory so tight it had to be destroyed to remove it.
I don't know what Sears has for a removal tool, but I can tell you already it won't work. The answer to removing a broken off right hand threasd bolt or plug is a set of LEFT HAND drill bits. I got mine at Fastenall quite a few years ago, I'm sure any machine shop supply house would stock them. They aren't that awfull expensive as I remember but sure take the frustration out of removing a bolt.
Start with a small bit 1/8 or 3/16 this can be a right hand bit if you like, then work up to a bigger bit with left handers. all at once the old shell will scrw out with the drill bit leaving the threads in the pan unharmed.

PS; Another special tool you don't loan, or tell too many "Friends" that you own.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
greg_g
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-11-05          185394

Pretty sure both tools are intended to accomplish the same job. The Sears tool probably requires a pilot hole be drilled first. I've seldom had 100% success with either. Either the took didn't grab, the reverse drill bit broke, or I damaged the female threads. I've had much more success removing reluctant plugs/bolts with a hammer and vice grips.

The trick is to first break loose whatever's causing the resistance. Usually it's either paint or rust. One or two good smacks with a hammer usually does that par, after which the recalcitrant eventually yields to a vice grip pliers.

//greg//

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-11-05          185396

Gregg;

I've got sa whole box full of differeent ez-out gizmos that were all a failure compared to the left hand bits.
An old friend who ran a machine shop tipped me off to the left had bit thing years ago.
The worst case situation, and I've been there is to have an ez-out snap off level with the end of the broken stud or plug. Those things are hard as glass and impossible to drill out, so the next step is usually the acetylene torch, but that raises all kinds of other issues, don't go there if at all possible.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2012-11-07          185412

I have had success with an impact wrench over anything else. It will sit there and hammer on it and help break loose rust or such. Of course be certain you are trying to turn the correct direction. They do make sockets that "may" grab damaged bolt heads. Had same issue on oil pan and ended up with inch impact and the first touch of trigger had it out. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-11-07          185413

KT;
I'll be the first to admit that I don't take the time to find the proper torque that drain plugs should be tightened to, I'm sure that I over tighten them just as a feel good measure.
The drain plug on the Gator transmission isn't on the bottom, it is on the side at the lowest point. That wouldn't have been a problem except that a frame member is about two inches away blocking any direct from above tools like an impact wrench or my drill bit solution. A JD tech. who stopped by to help, said he had never had one that with the proper wrench didn't come out till mine came along. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-11-07          185416

Common easy-outs are generally designed for a smaller bolt. Two alternatives:

1. Invest in the right vice-grip. Brand name, curved jaws, sharp teeth, and closer to 12" than 6". Squeeze the bolt-head with full force, maybe put a large pipe over the handles, and reef away.

2. Get a long, good quality, 6-pt hex wrench a smidge too small. File the bolt hex surfaces so the wrench socket just fits if you tap it on with a hammer. Whack the wrench with a sledge.

Once it turns the first speck, it's easy. Sometimes they stick because last time, someone neglected to install a gasket, preferably a new copper or nylon one. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2012-11-07          185417

A totally different thought that I HAVE NO experience with only seen them for sale...the pumps that you drop a tube down the dipstick tube and pump the oil out. Not too sure on that picks up the full depth of the oil pan nor how well that would be for draining any sludge. ....

View my Photos
Murf

2012-11-08          185423

So far the best way I've ever found for removing a bolt with a rounded head is an arc welder.

Seriously.

I weld a piece of bar to the bolt head to use as a lever. Between the heat of the welder and the grip of the bar, it's worked every time so far for me.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2012-11-09          185429

Quote:
Originally Posted by kthompson | view 185417
A totally different thought that I HAVE NO experience with only seen them for sale...the pumps that you drop a tube down the dipstick tube and pump the oil out. Not too sure on that picks up the full depth of the oil pan nor how well that would be for draining any sludge.
:Mine works fine, but ONLY if the engine oil is HOT. The thicker the oil, the longer it will take to suction out. Same with sludge. When it's cold, it will stay stuck to the pan. When it's good and hot, it will come out with the oil.

But I've only used mine for on-road vehicles. I can see a potential problem using it with some 4wd tractors. To accommodate clearance for the front driveshaft, some of my tractors had two drain plugs. You'd be working in the blind relative to moving the suction tube from one side of the sump to the other.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-11-09          185431

KT;

I've saw those suction things, but never used ine.
I guess one way to know if it got the lions share of the old oil out would be to measure the amount of old oil it sucked out.
An example might be if the engine W/Filter holds five quarts and the dipstick shows full plus some estimate of how much old oil is in the used filter. So on with the story, if the old filter held a pint and you measured a bit over four quarts of used oil the tube sucked out you would be pretty close to getting it all out.

Another solution would be if you were driving cars like some of my ultra low budget cars I had in the past, just turn the car upside down till the used oil came out the fill hole.

Frank. ....

View my Photos
auerbach

2012-11-13          185461

Astro: curious as to how you resolved this. ....

View my Photos
Astrobiker

2012-11-13          185462

First of all thanks for all the replies. I am waiting until I get a replacement drain plug before I attempt any of the suggestions. My main issue at the moment is the bolt head is becoming rounded off so I will very likely just get a larger vice grip pliers and try to break it free that way. I am not so sure it is "stuck" but just the fact the bolt head is rounded off and I can't get a wrench on it. I'll let you guys know what happens.

Thanks,
Ben ....

View my Photos
Astrobiker

2012-11-19          185512

Since I have the week off and had gotten the replacement drain plug I went out to work on my tractor this morning. I got out my new 10 inch vice grip pliers with curved jaw, clamped them down tight on the drain plug bolt head, braced my knee against on of the front tires and put some muscle on it.

The little sucker broke loose with no slipping of the pliers. Oh yeah! I got the oil drained and put the new drain plug(14mm) in and finished up the oil change job.

Thanks again to all those who suggested solutions. I am very happy I didn't have to drill it out or even worse replace the oil pan.

Ben ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2013-01-04          185851

I like happy endings. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login