Go Bottom Go Bottom

Deere 4600 gets new MFWD axle

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2000-08-01          18460

The wait is finally over. My new axle was installed on the 4600. I must admit this is a nice unit and the scuffing is essentially gone. I still don't like the hyper sensitive hydro foot controls but my disappoinment with John Deere has lessened considerable in the last 24 hours. I still think Deere has to make some improvements in the 4000 tractors to catch NewHolland but it appears the MFWD axle mess is resolved. I can spin the tractor right around with the chunks of turf flying in the area. It also seems quite sturdy and well engineered. Those of you who have had your axle replaced do you think the tractor turns as short? Don't get me wrong, I like the new axle much more but it just seems like there is a little less turning angle. Could be my imagination. I am not complaining just an observation.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-01          18461

In my previous post I intended to say that I can turn the tractor to full steering angle WITHOUT the chunks of turf flying. A simple case of poor typing skills. ....

View my Photos
Jack D

2000-08-03          18493

Terry, like you, I'm not sure my 4400 turns quite as sharpe as it did with the old axle, but the new axle's radius is all I want for loader work, tilling, and cutting pasture, AND I can now turn on the lawn if I need to!!! If there is any difference, it's very small, IMHO! ....

View my Photos
Kenneth W Spriggs

2000-08-03          18499

How do you get John Deere to install the new 4 drive axle. So far I have received no response from John Deere, My 4600 has scuffed off the front tires and broken off the mounting bolts. I need to know who to contact at John Deere to obtain results. ....

View my Photos
bud in oh.

2000-08-04          18525

My axle for 4600 came in Aug. 1st, haven't had installed yet. Someone awhile back said if you didd'nt have turfs and mower deck you could not get the replacement axle,I have neither and got an axle. budinohio. ....

View my Photos
Shawn McCorkle

2000-08-07          18585

Terry, my dealer just returned my 4200 w/ new axle. I ditto your comments concerning the improvement. However, I am certain the front wheels turn further to the right than to the left. Have you or anyone else noticed this or is mine just in need of adjustment? ....

View my Photos
TROCK

2000-08-07          18609

Shawn, I found that my front wheels were too far toed in. Over 1" if my measurements were correct! I noticed that turning to the right would allow the right side spindle to contact the spindle stop, but when turning to the left, the left spindle stop had over a thumb's clearance between the iron! I aligned the right tire straight ahead by laying a 2x4 on the outside of the rear tire/rim, then measuring the clearance at the front tire so it was aimed completely straight. When I transferred the 2x4 to the left side, I found the excess toe-in. My dealer was out to my place the next day to correct the toe. It still doesn't touch the left side, but 1/8" is better than 1/2" between the spindle stop on the left side. I think my other axle turned tighter, but what good did that do? Tight turning only wore the rubber off the front wheels and dug up whatever I was driving on. It is finally a pleasure to mow with now! I can even be a rebel and mow in 4x4 and not think about damaging the lawn with the exception of complete left or right turn against the stops. By the way, does anyone else have a problem with the handle on the 3rd scv falling off? ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-08          18611

Shawn, I will check my 4600 to see if the turning angle is the same on both sides. I will post a message tomorrow. ....

View my Photos
Terry Weivoda

2000-08-08          18613

Shrock, that third SCV lever has been a problem from the beginning. I reglued the rubber end twice on my 4300 and once on my 4600. The design and location on the third SCV is poor. THis is one of those issues I have been complaining about for some time. If you look at NewHolland's design there is no comparision. The location is right where it belongs next to the other controls and has a real positive feel to it. The Deere design looks like it was one of the last features the tractor design team considered before production. It looks more like an "after market" design than if it was a Deere. I like Deere's DSCV control lever that is used for the loader. It has a nice feel and seems like it is part of the tractor. I realize there is a minimum of space to work with beside the seat but that is where the third SCV belongs in my opinion. Deere also needs to add a swivel seat feature like the NewHolland. Deere has made changes in their larger series tractors (5000-8000) series and changed the desgination to a 10 series (5300 became the 5310). Perhaps we will see a 4210-4710 tractor that will incorporate the needed changes to bring them closer to the NewHolland. ....

View my Photos
Shawn in OK

2000-08-08          18618

Terry, I swear I read a thread where someone stated they received an upgraded 3rd SCV valve. This was of interest to me because mine hangs in the up position and does not recenter, even after having it "repaired" by the dealer. I've looked all over and even used the search engine and cannot now find the thread. Although I haven't had trouble with my rubber piece coming off the handle (yet), I wonder if this "upgraded" valve would cure your problem too. ....

View my Photos
T-ROCK

2000-08-08          18649

Shawn, I believe you read that from me. When they put my axle on in June, I also told them about my 3rd scv being stiff and did not return properly. They said they put a revised part on it to repair that concern. It works perfectly now with the exception of the rubber knob falling off. I tried lubing the cable and loosening the lever's pinch bolt, but it did absolutely nothing for the feel of the lever. Whatever it was that they replaced (lever, cable or both) works GREAT! Now, another question for thoughts..... Does anyone have the abrupt stop problem? When I am mowing, I let off my pedal and it stops like I slammed on the brakes. No feathering to a stop, just BANG. It is pretty difficult to mow around a tree or object because it jerks when going on/off the pedal. I mow in B range almost all the time. I don't believe it did this when it was new. Any feedback would be great. Thanx ....

View my Photos
Mike S.

2000-08-08          18653

Shawn--when my 4400 began stopping abruptly as you described yours stopping, it also began slipping and grabbing on hillsides as well as periodically freewheeling for 5 to 20 feet and then abruptly stopping. From 40 hours when this started, it continued to get worse until the transmission was replaced at 100 hours. When I first mentioned the flaky hydrostatic transmission to my dealer, I was instructed that they had a DTAC bulletin stating that I should change the transmission fluid and filter at 50 hours intead of the 100 hours as stated in the manual. The 3rd SCV would have been a much better design if it had been like that of the Boomers, but also, it would have been a much better design if it were similar to the shape of the DSCV (i.e., a three inch long, quarter inch diameter chrome rod with a screw-on bulb on top. At least if the bulb screwed on it wouldn't keep falling off like mine does when it is grabbed. Although I have not measured my tractor's turning radius after receiving its new front end, it does not appear to turn quite as sharply as with the old axle, but as someone else said, that's OK since it doesn't tear out the grass any more--and maybe it won't wear off the edges of the lugs on the front R-4's so rapidly now. Mike S. ....

View my Photos
Ross

2000-08-12          18785

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login