Go Bottom Go Bottom

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
texmexdiver
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-06-14          179005

i need to identify the finish mower (grooming) i am trying to restore,, 72 inch deck,, 3 blades,, each has its own hydraulic motor ,, all hosed together,, definitely john deere,, probably was 3 point at one time,, was modified to run on the front of a john deere compact tractor,, i guess it could have come off the front of a mower,, very heavy duty,,original paint is john deere color,,no data card,, probably mid 1990s model,, thanks for thinkin bout it,,

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-14          179006

By no means a JD semi pro but that sounds like off of a golf course mower with the hyd motors. Go to JD web site and look at their commerical mowers and see if you find it. ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
texmexdiver

2011-06-14          179007

thanks for the suggestion,, upon a quick check,, all the rotary mowers in the golf section appear to be belt drive,, ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-06-15          179021

Have sent PM to a member who I think might help but he normally does not look at JD topics. ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
Murf

2011-06-15          179025

First off, I note you say "definitely john deere", is that because of the color? Or is there a name plate, decal, etc., that leads you to believe it's a Deere product?

The reason I ask is that there's another company "Ransomes" (a Textron Group company, sister to Toro) who used a similar color green as Deere, but unlike Deere, absolutely dominated the commercial & golf course mower business for many years.

I think though what you have is the hydraulically-driven front deck from a commercial grass cutter similar to that shown below.

First off, I note you say "definitely john deere", is that because of the color? Or is there a name plate, decal, etc., that leads you to believe it's a Deere product?<br>
<br>
The reason I ask is that there's another company "Ransomes" (a Textron Group company, sister to Toro) who used a similar color green as Deere, but unlike Deere, absolutely dominated the commercial & golf course mower business for many years.<br>
<br>
I think though what you have is the hydraulically-driven front deck from a commercial grass cutter similar to that shown below.<br>
<br>
[p]http://products.jacobsen.com/img/products/1107-large.jpg[/p]<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>
Does this look like what you have?<br>
<br>
<br>
Best of luck.<br>

Does this look like what you have?

Best of luck.

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
texmexdiver

2011-06-15          179032

thanks for the interest,, the base color ,, beneath the safety decals is jd yellow,, also,, looking at some belt driven period mowers,, there is major similarities in the chassis,,but as you have suggested,, it could be another make,,as this could explain why i cant find any info at john deere,, i will research the make you have suggested,, the hyd motors come straight up and have a cant in the middle,, maybe 30 degrees,, this thing is bullet proof,, probably 1/4 inch deck,, no sheet metal,, i appreciate your help,, if you can think of anything that might lead to an id please let me know.. thanks david ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
kthompson

2011-06-16          179040

It is hard to believe they did not place any brand info on it. Look very carefully and look at the thick metal for such to be stamped into that metal if they did not use id tag.
But there might not be a real need to know the brand. It is possible you can buy the wear items just by matching them with off the shelf items. ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
texmexdiver

2011-06-16          179041

i have searched this chassis over thoroughly,, cant find anything,, one of the pumps is off and the spindle and two collars are missing,,everything else could come off the shelf,, this mower has a lot of life left in it and appears to be in good working order other than the spindle missing,,must have started service repair and never reassembled,,yellow colour could be king kutter i suppose ,, will try to look there,, thanks,, i am john deere fan and naturally assume anything green or yellow is jd ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
jdgreen

2011-06-17          179045

You might try Nunes. They made mower decks for some john Deere Turf machines. Most were single spindle designs, but I seem to remember some that were three spindle. http://www.nunesequipment.com/ ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
Murf

2011-06-17          179053

It could well be a JD unit, a bunch of the bigger front mount mower units were set up to run these types of decks, mostly for cutting big areas like road boulevards. They were generically called WAM (Wide Area Mower) and were equipped with 3 decks, one like yours and a pair of out-rigger decks.

Since the side decks had to be hydraulically-driven, the front one was too.

Have a look;

http://www.deere.com/en_INT/cce_equipment/commercial/rotary_mowers/wams/index.html

Best of luck. ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
texmexdiver

2011-06-17          179061

thanks,, checked it out,,, no similarities,, most i have seen that have hyd motors only have one that drives a belt for all three blades,, will try and post a picture monday,, some one might recognize it,, have to go to the va hospital tomorrow,, you no how long that will take,,david ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
JimGarrett

2012-02-18          182461

It sounds like you have a 261. Google has several pictures if you just type in John Deere 261 Finishing Deck. I have one and it has all the features you describe. Parts are still available (for a price). I purchased mine to pull behind a JD 650 back in the early 1980's and a pulley has just rusted out. Other than belts and blades this is the first repair. Ah the day a John Deere was made of metal, cost a lot but lasted. Now they're as good as any other plastic mower sold at Home Depot. I will never understand why an American tradition like JD decided to compete with Murray? I purchased a Gravely Zero Turn this year to replace my LX176 (My first ever $3200 plastic mower). The Gravely is what JD use to be but the 261 is definitely worth putting money into. Great deck from the era when JD's were quality machines. ....

john deere finish mower

View my Photos
hardwood

2012-02-19          182463

My understading of the green mowers at box stores is this.
Deere allows the low quality Deere green mowers, thats about where all similarity ends is with the green paint to be sold at box stores. The box stores provide no warranty service, or service of anykind, You take the broken green mower to a genuine Deere dealerhip, they convince you that it isn't worth fixing which it usually isn't, so they sell you a genuine Deere built mower.
Sad part is that if a person needing a 3,000. mower would buy a genuine ten year old used Deere mower from a Deere dealership that has been thru their shop for the same money as a new box store green mower they would still have a good mower probably ten years after the green box store mower went to the junk yard.
I've got two Deere #345 mowers that are well over ten years old one has 800 hours the other has 600 hours. I've always taken good care of them and so far belts, blades, and normal service is all they've cost me. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login