Go Bottom Go Bottom

John deere 4400 tractor questions

View my Photos
Tonybre
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2011-04-09          177862

Hi, had a few questions about a John deere 4400 tractor. Don't know too much about tractors but wanting to learn. Looking to buy from a private seller not sure of year? (thinking 2000) Not sure if 4x4 plus not hydrostatic. The seller is a widow just wanting to sell in a hurry. She is asking $8000 for the 4400+300cx 60in loader +box scraper+ bush hog+ loading forks. Was wanting info; if a good buy? Any real problems w tractor?And where I could find a good set of turf tires? I do landscaping also where the vin num is located on tractor? Thanks for your reply
Tony

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
auerbach
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-10          177874

The year is not part of tractor identification and they don't have VINs. That one is 4WD, I'm pretty sure hydrostatic, low price if works well. No problems I'm aware of, especially with its (cough) Yanmar engine.

Tire sets are costly, there are rarely bargains in turfs, and you may want rims too. Any JD dealer or farm tire shop can set you up.

If you get it, either make sure it includes the manuals, get replacement documents from a dealer, or get operation and service lessons from a dealer or other owner. ....

View my Photos
Tonybre

2011-04-10          177881

Thanks for getting back so soon. Seller does not have manuals or papers on tractor but I test drove everything felt and looked good. Small things broke flashers plus rip in seat but tractor ran well also eng. Sounded fine but is not hydro. It's 4 speed with clutch plus 2 rear breaks. Witch is ok but how much will that take away from selling price? Tractor has cleat tires on front and back. When u say it's 4x4 is that all time? Because I didn't see any buttons or levers indicating 4x4. Just nervious about buying something I'm not completely familiar with.
Thanks Tony ....

View my Photos
harvey
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2011-04-10          177885

$8000 for all that is a very good price. Its a 12 speed syncro shift with a fwd rev lever. 4wd lever is on left side of platform down below parking brake.

How many hours?

The only minor concern is the front axle and if it has been upgraded. If not you should not make really tight turns on hi quality turf the steering geometry (sp?) has the outside tire gougeing the turf. All that said I would not be concerned about it for the price.

The tractor does have a vin and a dealer would know about the upgrades on it. I had to go look JD calls it a serial # the tag is just above the axle right side frame.

Take it out and find a downhill grade that you can use 4th gear C range and see how transmission sounds going down hill holding back.

I check in a couple times a week. If u need something asap send harvey "at" odyssey "dot" net I'll get right back to you. Mine's a 02. 1795 hours. So is been worked some. ....

View my Photos
Tonybre

2011-04-10          177888

Thanks Harvey. I have read about the upgrade on the front axel. Is JD upgrading it for free or will it cost me? Hours = 597 I have talked to the local JD dealer here in KY they said it was almost unbelievable. I was unsure to completely believe him cuz he was trying to push new tractor on me soon after he said it. I have used a hydro many times but only once or twice. Would you happen know where I can get a ser of turf type tires? Used or new? Thanks Tony ....

View my Photos
jdgreen

2011-04-10          177889

Tony, I don't think you will get deere to pay for the axle upgrade now. That was something they offered to original owners that had turf tires and had problems with scuffing the turf. The "kit" required a new axle, steering pump and steering valve. the parts to upgrade are still available if you find you need it, but it is pretty expensive. There is no problem with the original axle and some people got along with it just fine in turf conditions. It is possible yours has been upgraded or it might be new enough to have had it from the factory. If you post your serial number, I can check it for you. ....

View my Photos
Tonybre

2011-04-10          177891

Ok sounds good I do my have it now but will get it asap thanks what does the abc knob? Like I say I'm not 100% sure of myself with this type of trans. I have always used hydro. Thanks ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-04-11          177894

The A range is the great granny gears, B range is the middle ground I do 95% of my work in that range, from mowing to log skidding, C range is for the road.

I have turfs. There are LOTS of discussions on here about tires. Do not rush into a set use it with the "I assume" R4 industrials lots of guys use them with no issues on turf.

Every now and then some one has a set to sell or swap.

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-04-11          177897

Harvey;
You mentione checking 12/12 transmission by going downhill on fourth gear C range to listen for signs of trouble. You have me curious, what is the issue to check for. I curently have a 4310 12/12 and previously had a 4300 12/12. I seldom used C range only for short spurts down the road, 99% of all workis in B range and once in a while like with the tiler I use A range.
To the question on turf tires, if the op's tractor has R-4 tires the damage to lawns etc. is almost zero, certianly not worth the cost to switch. I've had R-4's on both ttactors and never saw any lawn damage, R-1 ag tires would be a different story tho.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-04-11          177898

Frank can not remember the exact deal but seems there was/is a thrust bushing the caused a chatter on deacceration. It does it in B 4 also.

You've seen some of the loads of wood I abuse mine with I think. I am not concerned about it. They did have a message or pip out on it mine was replaced. Trans was not sealed correctly IMO. I have a oil drip now and for the past 6 years or so. I'll split the housing and reseal the summer as I hit the 2000 mark. ....

View my Photos
Tonybre

2011-04-11          177904

The tractor I have looked at seems to me to be a well maintained, garage kept, one owner ( and older man and woman) tractor. Seller has a house on ten acres with a 1 acer pond,no farm or even garden that I'm aware of. Mostly used the tractor to haul tree limbs, dirt and garbage. Also used when a tornado demolished house and trees at propirty 2006. The seller seems to be straight up. Honest, and very nice lady. All attachments look great. Forks look like never been used. Whats the news on the 300cx loader? Any good things or bad things to look for? Iv seen that most people use a 430? And when i test drove the foward and rev. Lever bye steering wheele would pop out of gear each time I pushed the clutch? Plus I wasn't on it long so it could be a fluke or me just checking. Thank you again for any replys. Tony ....

View my Photos
harvey

2011-04-11          177909

The lever may need some lub. However mine has always been a little sensitive. I would buy it buy the manuals and adjust the clutch linkage if needed then get a feel for the shifter. Or take it to dealer and have them go thru it doing adjustments etc.

BTW you are on a good site. JDGreen will weight in on most JD related tractor issues and he is pretty sharp.

Not sure why it would have a 300x that is a newer loader. Possiably did not buy one with the tractor and decided later they wanted one. My neighbor has a 420 on his twin to mine go figure. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2011-04-11          177913

Harvey;
Thanks for the respone on the transission "rattle" issue. yes, I have heard a bit of a rattle when in C-4 but never paid much attention, is it a death rattle or just a normal rattle?
I think the 300 loaders are just a newer model loader than the 430. I've walked past them at a dealer lot but never stopped to look at one. The 300 series would have to go a bit to be better than the 430's, I've never had any loader problems with probably 650 hours of the tractors 750 hours devoted to loader work. I've never had the loader off the tractor, I use it almost every day for something. I do drop the bucket to do bush hogging, roto tilling, etc..
I've never heard anything bad about a 300 series loader so I wouldn't let that be a deal killer.
I'm guessing a bit here but I think the issue of the forward reverse lever going back to neutral is a safety factor. Mine has always did that too if I hold the clutch pedal down for more than just a second or so.
Frank.

View my Photos
Tonybre

2011-04-11          177915

Just wanted to Thank each of you guys for all the info. I feel like I have learned alot from just reading the messages on here and also know who I need to talk to when I need to learn more. Thanks afain for your time and advice. I am going to buy the tractor and all attachments as well. I'll fill you in once I have a chance to use it. No dout I'll have a ton more questions. This site is VERY helpful to me as a new tractor owner
Tony ....

View my Photos
bradsallows

2012-04-19          183238

does the 4400 compact tractor have a history of breaking off the range shift lever stub at the housing? Mine just broke at 900 hours.
also, now works in low range plus mid range is actually low range speed and high range is none and must be jammed in two gears since will only stall and no go.
The trani seemed in good working order inside before reassembling tractor.
I was running in high gear and trani locked up , then only move in low gear. All other opns work fine
Any thoughts ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login