Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere 4410 - Intermittent power to wheels

View my Photos
soddydaisy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2010-07-05          172093

Hi! I have a John Deere 4410. Today we were out in the woods clearing some brush when it just quit moving. Still had power to the loader, PTO and everything else, just not the wheels.

Finally, we figured out that if we let it sit for a bit, then started it, it would move for a short period, but only backwards, and then start the same symptoms. After getting it halfway back home doing this, it started letting me restart it and move a short distance without waiting in between and finally I didn't even have to kill the engine at all to get it to move, just turn the key off and back on fast enough so that the engine never stopped turning but the electrical system was reset. All this time, I was moving about ten feet at a time before wheel power was lost.

I would also mention that the power to the wheels during its movement seemed normal and the hydraulic system overall did not seem sluggish.

I checked the suction side filter and it seemed ok. Before I put fluid back in the tractor, anyone have any idea what this could be?? Thank you!

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-05          172095

The wiring on these sometimes hangs low and gets caught up on brush and damaged. It's not at all uncommon and the solution is usually to crawl underneath, examine all the wiring and connectors and fix what might be damaged.

If you have an eHydro or ePowrReverser transmission an indicator on the right fender may be flashing a code that repeats, a series of short and long blinks. For eHydro it is a repeating series of four flashes and I think the ePowrReverser is five or six flashes. See if that is flashing and post the code here to have someone interpret it.

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2010-07-05          172096

Kw sounds like he's on to something; in automotive terms it sounds to me like the syttem went into what's called "limp home" mode. ....

View my Photos
soddydaisy

2010-07-05          172099

Thank you for the benefit of your expertise on my dead John Deere. I've searched for broken or disconnected wires and can't see anything amiss. As for the flashing code, all I get is a single flash under the "Owner's Manual" icon. The dealership will be open tomorrow and we'll go get a new hydraulic filter and gasket, replace the fluid and try running it again. I'll still be monitoring this site in case anyone has more suggestions. Again, I thank you very much. ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-21          172466

Mine is doing the same thing. Went out to bush-hog a small piece of the property. It stopped pulling. The little light on the wheel panel started flashing. I turned it off, turned it back on and it would only go in reverse. After I turned the switch off and on again, I was able to go forward and it was fine for about 30 minutes. Then it did it again. I added a little oil and that was not the problem. I'll be watching to see if you find out what happened to yours. Mine's parked in the shed, even though it doesn't even have 600 hours on it yet. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-22          172474

Huey;
Is you warning light on the fender flashing a code, a series of long and short flashes? If so post it and I'll look it up in a service manual. Is your tractor a Hydro or 12/12 power reverser drive? ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-25          172554

yes 1-long and 3- short it'll do it about 4 times after i press the forward petal,and the tractor won't move. do you know what this means
Thanks
Hugh ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-25          172555

Hydro ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-25          172556

Huey;
One long and threee shorts indicates that your transmission controller recieves a command from both pedals at the same time.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-26          172586

Thank you but iam only pressing one pedal what could i do to fix this problem? Hugh ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-26          172594

Huey;
Mine being a 12/12 reverser transmission I can't look under to see what might be happening to your hydro pedals.
When this happens you only need to push one pedal and somehow in the "Potentiometer", which is a part mehanical and part electrical device that your hydro pedals connect to can according to the service manual become out of adjustment, dirty, or worn causing the problem you have.
Possibly a stick or something has became jammed into the linkage or just dirt or rust that cleaning or lubing would cure. Otherwise the SM shows a JD part No. JDG1575 kit which is a test kit for the electrical part of it.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-26          172600

Thank YOU!!
Hugh ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-27          172622

Hello again. Think I fixed the pedals by pressing real hard on them.
Now another light comes on when i press the cruise button...1 long and 2 short lights. Would you know what this is?
Thank you!
Hugh ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-27          172633

Hugh;
We're gone from the farm for a couple more days so I don't have the SM at hand to check the code.
Do the pedals and the Hydro drive work correctly now?
My memory is a bit dim here, but I do remember about if the cruse is not working had something to do with the Hydro pedals not being in sync. Not positive tho.
If you don't have it working whrn I get back I'll look up the code for you.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-27          172634

Frank, THANKS! You've been a great help and saved me a LOT of money! Since pressing down HARD on the pedals, both forward and reverse work fine now. We took it out this morning, just to check it again, and it's okay. The cruise control still flashes 1 long and 2 short; but that's not a function I really need. I also noticed the hydraulic oil is a little cloudy. So, I'm going to get a suction filter and while I'm at it, I'll change the transmission filter. Of course, new oil, too! Can you think of any other filters I need to change?
THANK YOU!
Hugh ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2010-07-27          172636

Huey;
Glad to hear the tracor is working now.
Being mime is a 12/12 reverser instead of a Hydro your transmission may require different filters.
The best advise it to follow your owners manual, it will list the service intervals, part numbers of the filters you need and the proper fluid to use.
There are all kinds of opinions on whether to use the genuine Deere fluid and filters or a lower cost brand. That's your choice. but I'm a firm believer in using the Deere brand.
Being you're dumping all the old fluid there will be a metal strainer that your owners manual will show how to clean and replace. I've never found anything in mine but if you've never had it out I'd check it just to be sure.
PS - Don't wear your Sunday best, you're going to be a mess when your done.
Frank. ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-29          172683

Great Thanks
Hugh ....

View my Photos
huey42

2010-07-31          172731

Hello Frank!
Here's an update...
After changing the filters and adding new oil, I found a leak in the rubber manifold on the suction side of the pump. Not much of a leak, but it would suck air when the pump was on. I saw a little bit of oil dripping from that area. That's what the problem was the whole time. I noticed after running it a while to warm it up, the oil had a lot of foam/air in it. That's what made me start looking further and I was able to find the real problem. I have ordered the manifold from Greenfarm online, as the John Deere dealers do not carry this part.
Just wanted to share this update!
Thanks again,
Hugh
P.S. You certainly were right about getting full of oil! ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login