Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere JD 755 wont start

View my Photos
porkystruck
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2008-01-17          150340

I have a JD 755 3 cyl deisel. It ran good last weekend. I went to start it up today and it wouldn't start. The motor turns over and I see smoke coming from the exhaust. I did noticed that when I turned the key off last weekend that the motor stumbled a couple times before it shut down.
Where should I start?

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
candoarms
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-17          150341

Porkystruck,

I'm guessing that it's probably a bit colder there than usual. Diesel engines hate cold weather.

What was the temperature there today?

If the temp was down in the mid to upper 30s, I'd expect you to have some trouble getting the thing started.

Joel

View my Photos
kthompson
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2008-01-17          150349

Joel don't guess it is. Our temp was in the 70's last week (above normal global warming I guess) and now is below normal with part of our state being under a winter storm warning last night and this morning (global warming over with Presidential Candidates in town).

Porkystruck, if your tractor has glow plugs be sure you are using them. My Kubota about that size does and it will not start without their use if below about 50 or if it does really hard cranking to do so. kt ....

View my Photos
porkystruck

2008-01-18          150369

This weekend is going to be a little warmer. I will try and start it mid day saturday. Thanks ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-18          150373

Kenneth, I hope you're either kidding about not starting very well below 50° or else you're running it on coal oil or something.

Our 'botas start just fine (nearly normally) down to nearly freezing without glow plugs.

When it gets down to 30 below though do use them. ;)

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-18          150375

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkystruck | view 150340
... the motor stumbled a couple times before it shut down.Where should I start?
I'd start by confirming that fuel is actually being delivered to the cylinders.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-18          150394

Murf, my B2710 is a pain to start when cold if you don't allow the glow plugs do their job. Always has been. It will start but requires a good bit of cranking to do so or at least compared to when you allow the glow plugs to heat for 5 or so seconds. It may not be that bad at 50 degrees but I would allow the glow plugs to heat that long in the 50's for fact. My M6800 with no glow plugs fires right up regardless or so far has down to freezing. kt ....

View my Photos
porkystruck

2008-01-18          150399

What is the easiest way to see if fuel is being delivered to the cylinders? ....

View my Photos
Murf

2008-01-18          150402

If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, you have fuel, the white smoke is unburnt fuel, after it is running, unburnt fuel is black smoke.

I'd be checking the battery, if it cranks too slow because of a weak battery, it will be hard to start.

Best of luck. ....

View my Photos
kthompson

2008-01-18          150403

Porky, be sure you don't have the lift set to where it is using starter power to raise the arms either especially if there is any load on it. It being cold any extra load shows up more so. kt ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-18          150422

Quote:
Originally Posted by Murf | view 150402
If you have white smoke coming out of the exhaust pipe, you have fuel, the white smoke is unburnt fuel;;;
Disagree. White smoke is condensation. Water. Gray or uncolored exhaust is burnt fuel. Black is incomplete combustion.

There should be a hex head collar that tightenes the individual fuel lines to the individual injectors. Loosen those collars, crank the engine. If/when fuel is pumped out, tighten them back down - the engine should start. Smell it to make sure it's fuel - not water. If nothing comes out, you're either out of fuel - or the fuel flow is blocked somewhere in the delivery system.

//greg//

View my Photos
porkystruck

2008-01-18          150430

I removed the air filter and hooked up the jumper cables. It started up and ran like crap for about 4-5 minutes then started running smooth. Must have been the cold weather like yall said.
Thanks ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2008-01-19          150439

Porkystruck,

I have a daughter going though her Army training at Fort Jackson, South Carolina. She joined the North Dakota National Guard two years ago.

She tells me that the weather there hasn't been all too warm as of late, which is why I asked about the temperatures in your area.

I agree with Greg_g. Black smoke is a sure sign that the engine is cold, and that the fuel is not burning properly. When it gets down around the freezing point, I plug in the electric block heater for about an hour before attempting to start it.

It's 25 degrees below zero here this morning. (actual temp. Windchill is somewhere around -35) I won't be starting my tractor today, but if I had to, the Knipco heater, powered by #1 diesel, would be the only way I could accomplish the task. That little electric block heater won't cut the mustard at these temps.

Glad to hear you got yours running.

Joel ....

View my Photos
greg_g

2008-01-19          150441

Quote:
Originally Posted by candoarms | view 150439
I agree with Greg_g.Black smoke is a sure sign that the engine is cold....
I'm not sure how you arrived at that conclusion from what I wrote. It's NOT normal for a cold engine to emit black exhaust during the start cycle, unless it's unnecessarily "gunned" before it's permitted to warm up properly. Gray is good, gray going to uncolored is better.

White however, is not unusual from a cold engine while the starter is cranking. It's simple condensation produced when the cold intake air is heated by compression. It should go away in seconds, changing to gray - then uncolored. Volumes of white that persist after starting suggest water in the cylinders; typically a bad head gasket or perforated water jacket.

Once a properly fueled engine is warmed up, a brief output of black is not unusual when the engine is subjected to a sudden heavy load. The governor will initially overcompensate, but the black smoke should quickly return to gray - then uncolored - as the fuel delivery matches the engine load.

//greg// ....

View my Photos
jbjpam

2008-01-19          150445

This is not meant to scare you but it was my problem on my 755. Mine started fine most of the time but always a little hard as it got colder. I had a block heater too and it was plenty warm enough. It continually started getting harder to start each time. One time it would not start at all. So I did all of the following. Fuel was getting to the injectors, new battery, block was hot, new injectors, glow plugs were hot. Towed it to the dealer (2 miles away) and they did a compression check. It would not start because of not enough compression. So I towed it home and removed the heads and the cylinder walls were pretty bad. So I removed the engine and tore it down. Everything was in specification except for the cylinder walls. Somehow dust had been getting sucked in. Loose filter hoses I am assuming. But I ended up doing a complete rebuild as long as it was apart. I hope it is not your problem but it is sounding like it. I would proceed right to the compression check. Good luck. ....

View my Photos
porkystruck

2008-01-21          150479

Whats the easiest way to check the hydraulic fluid level on this JD 755? ....

View my Photos
jd110_1963

2008-01-21          150527

You should have a dipstick on the rear of the tractor. It is above the pto shield to the left, I believe. ....

View my Photos
wmgeorge

2008-01-25          150728

Quote:
Originally Posted by porkystruck | view 150340
I have a JD 755 3 cyl deisel.It ran good last weekend.I went to start it up today and it wouldn't start.The motor turns over and I see smoke coming from the exhaust.I did noticed that when I turned the key off last weekend that the motor stumbled a couple times before it shut down.Where should I start?

I was told that these Yanmar diesels need to crank fast, if the battery is slightly low charge that could be it. I'd also check your fuel filter, in addition I'm assuming you have the glass sediment bulb like I have on my 650. I'd guess one of the above is the problem. IF it has ran out of fuel because of a clogged filter or water in the tank, you might need to bleed out the lines... I hope you have the owners manual to show you how. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login