Go Bottom Go Bottom

John Deere Electronic vs Mechanical Controllers

View my Photos
Hettric
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-11-12          148119

Hi, I have a JD 755 and like everybody aspire to a larger tractor. In my case a 30 hp JD. I like to work on my own stuff so am Leary of upgrading to a computer controlled model. It frustrates me to no end that I am helpless to do much on my car and truck. please advise what was the latest pre computer model (4300?)I thought was the 4310 but I see ads listing E-hydro. Or is this a non issue, that is, are needed computer diagnosis or related problems rare.
Thanks

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-12          148125

Hetric; I have the JD Tech manual for my 4310, it explains most all the systems well enough that even I with my quite limited computer knowledge and an ohm meter would feel comfortable working on it. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Hettric

2007-11-12          148126

Thanks Frank, I knew you had a 4310, hoped you would comment.Have you had or heard of any computer related problems? Just what does the computer control?
Thanks ....

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-12          148127

The computer mostly controls the transmission and safety interlocks. The most common problem seems to be with the wiring underneath getting caught on sticks and brush and getting damaged or, in the case of the eHydro, getting the potentiometers out of whack. If the wiring is protected by tucking it up tight that's half the battle. Or you can get a skid plate kit from JD if you don't use a mid-pto. That will protect it very well. The computer does have a semi sophisticated diagnostic system that flashes a light in patterns to point you to the problem. A tech manual, like Frank mentioned, is a very good idea if you do your own work. Not cheap but knowing how stuff works can set your mind at ease. Rarely some items would require special diagnostic equipment to fix, for others a meter would do fine. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-12          148128

Hetric; I just gave the tech manual another look. I don't see a main computer anywhere in the wiring schematic. Far as I can see most everything is pretty simple to diagnose with a meter. I remember someone on the form having a problem with the E-Hydro switch under the pedal, but nothing other than that. Frank. ....

View my Photos
hardwood

2007-11-12          148129

KWE; Perhaps the poteometers, cruse dontrol switches, etc. each have a small built in computer of some sort, but nowhere in the tech manual is the word computer used. Frank. ....

View my Photos
Billy
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-11-12          148130

I think the technical name is Controller instead of computer. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-12          148138

In the electronic world the terms "processor" and "microcontroller" (or controller) are often used interchangeably, with the difference being a microcontroller has additional hardware to more easily interface to the outside world of inputs and outputs (relays, switches, etc). The term "computer" sort of encapsulates all of them. And then there's the ever popular "brain" :) ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-11-13          148166

If the M1 Garand doesn't need digital controls, neither does a tractor.

The day some idiot puts a chip in my combat rifle, I'll club him upside the head with it........for that's about all it would be good for anyway.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-13          148177

If a horse doesn't need hydraulics then why should a tractor :)

There's nothing inherently wrong with electronics, it just takes a different way of looking at things. They are often easy to troubleshoot and fix with a little knowledge. Cost, well, that's another story but custom machining of obsolete parts isn't cheap either. In the case of the 10 series JD machines they can be retrofitted with the previous generation parts for the non-electronic approach if the electronics are no longer available. Myself, I'd like electronics a whole lot more if it wasn't for ROHs. Look for the lifespan of anything electronic, including life saving products, to be reduced by half or more in the coming years. Thanks a lot, EU. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-11-13          148201

Ken, with the technical manual if you try to look up computer, there's nothing there. It's called a controller. That's what I was getting at. ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-11-13          148208

Sorry Billy, Gotcha :-) ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login