Go Bottom Go Bottom

Suggestion for JD regarding parking brake

View my Photos
kwschumm
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-04          144325

After bush hogging a couple of acres with the parking brake on (ARGH!) I am wondering why, with all the electronics on the eHydro machines, they don't interlock the parking brake with the eHydro pedals. It seems it would be easy in software to not allow forward or backward motion with the parking brake engaged. In bright sunlight with earmuffs on it's sometimes a little hard to tell it's engaged.

Reply to | Quote Post Reply to PostQuote Reply | Add PhotoAdd Photo

View my Photos
earthwrks
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster  View my Photos  Pics

2007-08-04          144327

KW: (laughing now) And don't forget the loose nut behind the wheel too :)

How 'bout wearing sunglasses and keeping the earmuffs off until you get started? Just a thought... ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-08-04          144334

I'd have to agree with the loose nut statement :). As a SW guy I always try to keep the user from doing things that damage hardware. A parking brake interlock seems like a good idea but since the 4310 doesn't have one the loose nut will just have to be tightened up. I'm sure an interlock could be hacked up but hacks just lead to future confusion. ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-04          144335

Are you the guy I see around town who drives with his blinker on all the time? LOL ;)

tinka----tinka----tinka---DOH!

I can see it now:
"Dear Carmaker, My Web friends chide me (okay, one) for not cancelling my turnsignals when I forget. Please make available blinker interlocks that shuts down my car if...err...when I forget to cancel them."
Signed,
Mr. Soh Confuthsed ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-04          144336

KW: As a "SW guy".

Is that a "Single White" guy? ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-08-04          144337

The carmakers are way ahead of me on that one. My turn signals are already self-cancelling :)

SW = Software. I've worked on lots of systems and always put in software safety mechanisms to keep compressors from frying, or reversing valves from chattering, or pumps from burning up, or lasers from frying instrumentation, or material handling systems from tossing packages at people, or ..... you get the idea. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-04          144338

Kwschumm,

Rather than install all of these software programs and safety switches, why not just make a brake that really holds? After all, what is the brake for if it allows the wheels to turn?

You're not the first person to do this. It happens all the time. Wen I engage the parking brake on my Kubota, the tractor WILL NOT MOVE AN INCH, until I disengage it.

A good parking brake eliminates any need for the other systems and switches.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-08-04          144341

I've never seen a parking brake on any vehicle that would prevent them from moving. But some of them are move obvious than others when engaged. One way to look at your Kubota is that the parking brake is superb. Another way is that it doesn't have much torque :) JUST KIDDING. On the JD with LoadMatch engaged it's damn near impossible to stall under any condition and the parking brake is no match for it. But the brake is weaker than I'd like. I'll have to see if there's an adjustment to tighten it up. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-05          144342

Kwschumm,

You're right. However, I've driven some mighty powerful military trucks, which wouldn't move when the brake was engaged. Those trucks were powerful enough to drag a fully loaded trailer up a very steep hill, even with the trailer's parking brakes engaged.

Don't ask me how I know that.:(

Joel

View my Photos
hardwood
TractorPoint Premium Member -- 5 Tractors = Very Frequent Poster

2007-08-05          144345

OK; Time for a bit of rambling from me. First item, Parking brakes, I've never saw one yet except on a semi before the air gets built up that will not let the machine overwhelm it. I'll be the first to admit I've burned up a few. On a tractor with a foot brakes that lock together with the little flipper between the pedals, I never lock the pedals together for any reason. If I set the parking brake the results being with only one brake locked the tractor will tend to pull toward that side when you first move then you remember the parking brake. The other reason for never locking them together is for safety reasons, after a lifetime of driving farm tractors I feel much more in control in a panic situation when using one brake is better than both together. Ever try to reach down and flip the little lock in a split second? The crash has already occured. The folks who print up the little warning stickers about locking the pedals together aparently never drove a tractor much in a panic situation. The best parking brake ever invented for a CUT is the box blade, anytime I don't need the three point for somethiong else I have the box blade on for loader stability and simply for a parking brake, slick as a tater. AND EW, with the quick coupler I can have the box blade on or off in seconds without ever leaving the tractor seat. I don't think anyone in the farm tractor industry uses a true park "Lock" anymore where a paul droped into a transmission gear when engaged, that was a true park lock, nothing moved till you released it. They had their problems tho like disengaging it on a slope with loaded wagons behind, or on the old 706 and 806 Farmalls you could engage it while still moving, things got tore up fast insude. There was a trick you could do with the JD powershift lever that would fool it, but the Deere repair people liked it too when you tore up things after doing it enough times. I won't disclose the "Trick", but most of you with powershift Deeres of the 4430 era have already figured it out and those who haven't I don't want to be responsible for your transmission repair bill. Second issue "Goofer Dingers", on pickups. My last couple Silverados have had a dinger that tells you if the turn signal hasn't been cancelled, plus it dings for other reasons that I havent't figured out yet. OK, those of you who choose to drive "Rice Burners", do they have a "Goofer Dinger"? I'd better stop before I offend someone. Frank. ....

View my Photos
crunch

2007-08-05          144349

KW, if you figure out how to adjust the brakes let us know. My brakes only hold if I kick them real hard with workboots. I left them on too many times when I was wondering why the tractor was sluggish. DUH! ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-05          144350

My Blue has wet disc-type brakes which hold extremely well. And being a hydro with the albeit ill-designed cutting brakes on the right side (same side as the hydro pedal---go figure) using just the left brake takes two right feet to use, so I usually keep the pedals together. To keep moving when brushhogging, I can only use the right cutting brake if the cruise control is on. If I touch the left brake it turns off the cruise control.

My diesel Dodge Ram 4x4 with 4-whl disc brakes has excellent parking brakes. ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-05          144352

Well, after reading the many interesting posts under this topic, it seems possible that I may have other options.

My Kubota has a parking brake lock lever on the column, below the steering wheel. There is another locking lever next to it, which serves as the cruise control.

When I set my parking brake, I depress both pedals at the same time. The brake pedals are not locked together, but they are so close to one another that it makes very easy for me to depress both of them when locking the parking brake.

I've never tried locking just one side. I don't even know if it's possible for me to do so. Hmmmmm. I'll have to check my operator's manual again.

I do know that when both sides are locked, the tractor will not move. Whether or not locking just one side is possible, I believe I'll continue locking the parking brake in the same fashion.......but now I'm curious.

Joel ....

View my Photos
earthwrks

2007-08-05          144356

If the brake pedals on mine are not engaged or locked together, only the left brake will actually set the parking brake along with setting the brake indicator light; the right brake just is spring-loaded and snaps back and has no effect on the indicator or the cruise control. So in my case I can have the parking brake physically actuated on only one wheel. Technically the front wheels are locked too through the Selec-Trac 4WD system---unless one front wheel can slip. ....

View my Photos
Billy

2007-08-05          144357

All this talk about parking brakes got me to thinking. I really can't remember the last time I used it. I do know how to set it though. I push the brake pedals and pull the parking brake knob. To disengage I push the pedals and push the knob in. The harder you push the pedals then pull the knob the harder the brakes are set. Maybe because I don't use them is because I don't forget to release them :)

By the way, I own a HST tractor ....

View my Photos
candoarms

2007-08-05          144358

Billy,

I just checked the operation of my brakes. I own a Kubota B2100HDB (HDB = Hydrostatic drive w/Bi-Speed front drive)

My parking brake will not engage unless the pedal is fully depressed. However, I did discover that I can lock just one of the brakes. It is not necessary to lock both of them.

My brake pedals are locked together with a steel latch. If I depress one pedal, both pedals go down. When locking my brakes, I normally lock both of them. And with both pedals locked down, my tractor will not move under power......however, I did not attempt to move it under full power with the brakes applied.

I've never used my brakes for anything other than a parking brake, so I see no need to unlock them. With some implements, it might be necessary to use one brake when attempting to turn, but I do not own any pull-behind implements. All of my implements are of the 3-point type.

Joel ....

View my Photos
kwschumm

2007-08-05          144360

It seems I have to use the turning brake feature every few months. Most of my work is in dense woods and at times the tractor ends up sitting between two trees, one in front and one behind, without enough room to turn the wheels to get out. It's a mystery how that happens but the turning brakes are a lifesaver when it does. ....

Go Top Go Top

Share This
Share This

Member Login